CONFIRMED - Virgil Van Dijk joins on Five Year Deal

Brizzie Saints

well you have given 2 million reasons why theynare negotiating down to the wire in your post. easy to soend someone elses cash. id rather they signed at 5.59pm tomorrow if we got a better deal.

They aren't even negotiating down to the wire. I think it reasonable to assume that the fee and the contract terms were agreed before V.V.D travelled down for the deal to be to tied up. Once it was decided not to finalise the deal until after Celtic's Champions' League qualifier there was no rush to make the signing before the weekend and today became the only deadline. Those who have been panicking will be able to calm down very soon.

On Thursday's showing I sincerely hope RK decided against this.

I think a back 5 that includes Van Dijk, Soares & Bertrand could still be effective, since VVD seems to be adept and pushing up into midfield, while the two full backs naturally push on. Our problem in Denmark was that the 5 comprised defenders with little attacking impetus.

I think a back 5 that includes Van Dijk, Soares & Bertrand could still be effective, since VVD seems to be adept and pushing up into midfield, while the two full backs naturally push on. Our problem in Denmark was that the 5 comprised defenders with little attacking impetus.

I'd say the problem was partly that but also that we showed no appetite for actually passing the ball around.

Midtjylland are not very good so heaven knows why we decided to play leveller long-ball rubbish against them. They got knocked out of the Champions League by a team from Cyprus, for goodness sake. If we had just tried to pass the ball a bit then we probably would have won quite easily.

I'd say the problem was partly that but also that we showed no appetite for actually passing the ball around.

Midtjylland are not very good so heaven knows why we decided to play leveller long-ball rubbish against them. They got knocked out of the Champions League by a team from Cyprus, for goodness sake. If we had just tried to pass the ball a bit then we probably would have won quite easily.

We were saying this over the weekend. If we'd set up like we did against Norwich I think we would've been fine. Baffling.

We were saying this over the weekend. If we'd set up like we did against Norwich I think we would've been fine. Baffling.

You can't really tell, Mijytlland were agressive, perhaps excessively, had some sort of game plan and the ability to enforce it. Norwich on the other hand were just ferking useless in every department. We played well against Norwich but you have to face up to the fact that they were criminally poor for a supposedly PL side.

Agreed, I'm not saying that is the reason we lost, but rather why it's wrong to write off a 3-5-2/5-3-2 formation on the basis of our performance in that game. But equally, we do have to pass the ball a bit for the system to work!

Are you sure?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1826[/ATTACH]

Connor says otherwise :uhoh:

The BBC's deadline for this submission was earlier in the evening yesterday, so I provided them with two separate versions.

They managed to use the wrong one. :mcinnes:

When it was pointed out to them, they apologised and changed it.

Edited by Saint-Armstrong

The BBC's deadline for this submission was earlier in the evening yesterday, so I provided them with two separate versions.

They managed to use the wrong one. :mcinnes:

When it was pointed out to them, they apologised and changed it.

I see. So they ask you to write about every eventuality in order to appear correct? At any rate, I was only horsing around. Interesting to know how it all works though.

I see. So they ask you to write about every eventuality in order to appear correct? At any rate, I was only horsing about. Interesting to know how it all works though.

They contacted me on Saturday and said by Monday evening they needed a 100 word (~) summary on what Saints have done so far, and what will happen today.

I said that there was a good chance Virgil van Dijk would sign on Monday night so they'd need to be able to swap that line with the other one, if it hadn't happened. They acknowledged that and promptly failed to do it during a shift changeover, from what I was told when I got back in touch.

I've also got to do one when the window shuts, and keep them posted in the meantime.

No worries, I just wanted to clarify as you're - understandably - not the only one to mention it to me!

Yesterday was Monday.

Perhaps it was done yesterday and they are just waiting to announce it and tie up the press stuff (hence the wink). Deadline day announcements are always a feel good for those fans that like the whole drama of it, my guess is it is a club media team move to leave it till last hour or two. Real question is whether it is the only one or have they managed to sneak another one in under the radar. There has been a lot of secrecy from Guan and other connected posters and the Van Dijk one clearly isn't the big secret, so you never know.

Sky saying he stayed down here last night; but also said a summer of mostly players leaving; I make it Stek, CS, SC, CM, JC, new GK and JL in, and NC, MS, DO and EM out -so how does that add up?

You forgot OR as well. Really don't think you can count the new GK, HL, he is for the long term future and is only 17. DO and EM were on loan last season as well, so hardly count. Surprises me that anyone really is shocked by the appalling coverage of us by Sky, or any other media. Only interested in Top 5/6 + WH, and no-one in the media these days actually does any research, even the Beeb which used to be at least accurate if not ground-breaking is now shockingly poor in their reporting.

Sky saying he stayed down here last night; but also said a summer of mostly players leaving; I make it Stek, CS, SC, CM, JC, new GK and JL in, and NC, MS, DO and EM out -so how does that add up?

Could be including the loan players we didn't keep - Elia, Djuricic, Alderweireld. Really though the only players we 'Lost' were Clyne and Schneiderlein. After last season though we have clearly been labelled as 'the selling club' and it's easier to twist things to suit that ready made storyline - that's why things like the Fonte to Villa stuff emerges and so much attention is given to the like of Mane and Vic even when we turn down the offers and say no-one else is leaving.

I get the feeling they are going to wait until the last minute to announce it. Didn't they do that with Alderweireld, despite his maiden interview clearly being in the day time?

No-one wants to get mentioned as the seventh news item behind the De Gea blunder. The Saints media team know what they are up to... :)

So he is worse than Fonte and is costing us between 10-12 times as much :rolleyes:

In MLG's opinion. IMO VvD has picked up bad habits in the SPL - lots of rampaging runs neglecting his defending. He's capable of better, for me the question is whether he can get his performances back up to where they could and should be.

Edited by buctootim

Happy 1000 posts Guan 2.0!

Thank you very much.

For the question of double deals.... No-one likes being announced as part of a package. If Saints do announce a second signing, I can't believe they will do it in a way which makes a player feel overshadowed on day one. But I've not heard that, that's personal feeling.

By the way, I can confirm KBSS has been promoted to Hyper ITK level access. Congrats KBSS! (not a joke).

Thank you very much.

For the question of double deals.... No-one likes being announced as part of a package. If Saints do announce a second signing, I can't believe they will do it in a way which makes a player feel overshadowed on day one. But I've not heard that, that's personal feeling.

By the way, I can confirm KBSS has been promoted to Hyper ITK level access. Congrats KBSS! (not a joke).

So have you heard of any other deals today then? No loans?