All things Labour Party

CHAPEL END CHARLIE

It would seem that the end for Labour is nigh.

How is everyone else going to enjoy their leadership result tomorrow?

Sit back and enjoy the ensuing civil war. Corbyn will get elected and there will be a coup within 5 minutes.

The best thing Labour can do is let Corbyn get elected, reign in his more maverick far-left ideas, elevate his straight-talking approach at PMQs and fly it all under the banner of providing a genuine alternative to the Tories.

What they will actually do is rebel, replace Corbyn with someone who they perceive to be electable, being oblivious to the whole thing being a complete shambles whilst Blair's ringing endorsement hammers the final nail in the coffin.

I actually think they'll do more damage ousting Corbyn than if they let him get on with the job.

Sit back and enjoy the ensuing civil war. Corbyn will get elected and there will be a coup within 5 minutes.

The best thing Labour can do is let Corbyn get elected, reign in his more maverick far-left ideas, elevate his straight-talking approach at PMQs and fly it all under the banner of providing a genuine alternative to the Tories.

What they will actually do is rebel, replace Corbyn with someone who they perceive to be electable, being oblivious to the whole thing being a complete shambles whilst Blair's ringing endorsement hammers the final nail in the coffin.

I actually think they'll do more damage ousting Corbyn than if they let him get on with the job.

Excellent post. That is so true.

I hope they give him 2.5 years, learn something from his policies and public reaction to them and then blend those with someone with more conservative voter appeal, like David Miliband. It would be a huge mistake for Labour MPs to reject someone elected by popular vote and switch back immediately to clones who were rejected at the general election only six months ago. Thats not to say they arent stupid / self serving enough to do it.

Won't be doing too much different - probably a BBQ with some Tory chums although they don't taste as nice as they used to. Bit bland really. Thanks for asking though.

Good man. Surprised you are complaining of blandness though.... perhaps too rich and overwhelming for your pallet?

I hope they give him 2.5 years, learn something from his policies and public reaction to them and then blend those with someone with more conservative voter appeal, like David Miliband. It would be a huge mistake for Labour MPs to reject someone elected by popular vote and switch back immediately to clones who were rejected at the general election only six months ago. Thats not to say they arent stupid / self serving enough to do it.

And the Tories will laugh all the way to the next election, in the knowledge the Labour frontbench will actually believe the clone has an ounce of credibility. When Blair throws his support behind you, you know you're ****ed.

I'll be fascinated if they do oust Corbyn. There'll be one or two of the Labour old guard finding themselves staring at the corpse of the party they joined decades ago.

I'm not a betting man but I am kicking myself not having a flutter on Corbyn. Someone I know put £50 on him winning when he was 80-1.

And the Tories will laugh all the way to the next election, in the knowledge the Labour frontbench will actually believe the clone has an ounce of credibility. When Blair throws his support behind you, you know you're ****ed.

I'll be fascinated if they do oust Corbyn. There'll be one or two of the Labour old guard finding themselves staring at the corpse of the party they joined decades ago.

I'm not a betting man but I am kicking myself not having a flutter on Corbyn. Someone I know put £50 on him winning when he was 80-1.

I think you are under-estimating the swings to both the left and right in the UK and across Europe. The era of the bland, stand for nothing but the status quo politician may well be over imo. After 35 years of moving the goalposts in favour of corporate capitalism people are ready for change - someone who dosent tell them they need to pay more tax and have fewer public services because they dont want to clampdown on corporation tax dodges. Some of Corbyn's policies will gain traction and become widely popular. Hes probably too far out out there on other issues to become electable as PM but some policies will be taken up by whoever his replacement is.

Edited by buctootim

The membership would never vote for anyone anywhere near Milliband D 's politics . That's the problem with opening up the debate , the party has a majority of lefties . At least the Tories only give the members 2 options , so if enough mp's are sensible they'll get a choice of 2 " centralist " clones . Admirable as it is , when you start giving the party too much say you're in trouble .

Corbyn will quit, or happily/blamelessly let himself be ousted. He didn't really want to be leader, he definitely doesn't want to be Prime Minister. He'll go on some point of "principle", mainly the principle that he is utterly incapable of leading a political party.

He'll be gone by the conference of 2018, plenty of time for someone else to take the Tories on when it really matters.

If only there was some sort of computer simulation where you could actually play out scenarios like this, I'd love to see how a Corbyn government would pan out (so long as I didn't have to live with the consequences). Even Jim Callaghan was closing the coal mines.

Would be a fascinating thing to watch from afar. As you say only ever be a theoretical exercise.

If he's lashing out at cub reporters at T-minus one days as leader, how the fu ck is he going to survive ten minutes with Andrew Neil, who he has already bottled out of an interview with.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Tender:

I do share your desire that Corbyn is elected to the leadership of the Labour Party, so in that respect we are in total agreement.

He won't win, Lord T - don't trouble your ukippy little head with that thought.

Is it too early to throw this back in your face, before the announcement has been made? :smug:

bloomin hell

Yvette Cooper, Chuka Umunna, Rachel Reeves, Tristram Hunt, Emma Reynolds, Liz Kendall and Jamie Reed have all resigned from the frontbench

Good f*cking riddance. Blairite new labour is now officially dead, it's time we actually had a choice come the election.

bloomin hell

Yvette Cooper, Chuka Umunna, Rachel Reeves, Tristram Hunt, Emma Reynolds, Liz Kendall and Jamie Reed have all resigned from the frontbench

Good. Bunch of self-serving careerist politicians the lot of them. If they can't stomach being in a party that aims to reign in the violent excesses of the free market and champion social justice then maybe they shouldn't have joined Labour in the first place.

Obviously I have no idea how the future of the party will pan out. I have never actually voted Labour myself, but as somebody who would sooner put a bullet through my own head than vote Tory, I'm glad that the opposition now have a leader that will challenge the government properly and provide a coherent voice for the left in the commons. That is something that has been missing from British politics for far too long now.

FWIW - I like Corbyn. I like the fact that he stands out against the Westminster establishment that have turned off so many voters in recent years. I like the fact that he is able to debate with common sense and facts rather than resorting to mud-slinging and point-scoring, and that he is very good at shutting down anybody who he feels is doing that to him. I like the fact that he doesn't feel the need to wear a tie, because he recognises that it is substance that counts, rather than image.

Despite the best efforts of the right-wing media channels to discredit him and assassinate his character, he has won the leadership election with more support from within the party than even Tony Blair got in 1994. I look forward to seeing him go head-to-head with Cameron at PMQs, because they are such different characters.

Finally, here is a comment I just found posted elsewhere online which I found very interesting...

The party had been defeated in the General Election and the party had plunged into a leadership contest. The winner was an unlikely candidate on the ideological fringe of the party who had an unwaveringly coherent ideological base but who everyone, from the government benches to the press and even the mainstream of the party itself said was completely unelectable. From the new leader's clothes to their performance on camera and in Parliament it was blindingly obvious that this awful leader would keep the party out of government for a generation.

But that was the Conservative party in 1975.

The Tories would do well to revisit how Thatcher came to power from their own political fringe to change their own party's agenda and which still affects this country 40 years later. They dismiss Corbyn at their peril.

The party had been defeated in the General Election and the party had plunged into a leadership contest. The winner was an unlikely candidate on the ideological fringe of the party who had an unwaveringly coherent ideological base but who everyone, from the government benches to the press and even the mainstream of the party itself said was completely unelectable. From the new leader's clothes to their performance on camera and in Parliament it was blindingly obvious that this awful leader would keep the party out of government for a generation.

But that was the Conservative party in 1975.

The Tories would do well to revisit how Thatcher came to power from their own political fringe to change their own party's agenda and which still affects this country 40 years later. They dismiss Corbyn at their peril.

Something that had everything to do with sexism rather then political leaning. Irrelevant