Sam Gallagher loan - good idea ..or ?

david in sweden

Several hints on sites that suggest Sam G. is the loan target for a whole list of Championship clubs.

Probably the best idea for his blossoming career. Unfortunate season for him with injuries etc, and he has surely dropped down whatever pecking order we had two years ago, so it's probably the best thing that could happen for him. A new challenge.

At present, he clearly isn't another Harry Kane, but time will tell. He needs some real game time against tougher opposition than just other U21 sides.

If he does well... he'll be another good alternative on the Saints bench in 2016-17...one way or another, he'll find his level sooner or later.

Personally, I've never really seen a PL player in there. Could probably do a job in the NPC and below, but I don't see a PL player there.

Whatever happens, I hope he finds somewhere to play regular.

I don't think you're looking hard enough tbf I think he needs a years loan playing every week against men , Harry Kane never just appeared in the Spurs first team!

A loan away will do him good - as long as he plays and goes to decent club.

MK Don's wouldn't be a bad shout.

I saw them play last week. They're going to find it very hard going in the Championship with the squad that they've currently got. They've not really added any quality. There's a couple of decent players but they looked a million miles away from the teams who will finish in the top half. The addition of Gallagher would certainly give them something. Interestingly, Cody Cropper said he was really impressed with the set up at MK Dons. In his words 'It's very much like Saints but a few years behind'. Could be the ideal place for Sam to get regular football.

Edited by Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd

It's the best thing for him in all honesty. I think there is a very good player in there somewhere and he was coming along well until the untimely death of his father. Must've been such a big ordeal for a young boy to go through. Hopefully now he's back to full fitness he goes out and bangs in a load of goals to reinvigorate himself. The experience will do him the world of good!

Personally, I've never really seen a PL player in there. Could probably do a job in the NPC and below, but I don't see a PL player there.

His goal in the U21 final was a stunning thing of beauty, hit with his wrong foot the ball never rose above 6 feet and it was still increasing in velocity when it hit the net, a truly great goal. His cross for Seager to score in the semi-final was also the best cross I saw at SMS last season. I think he has got it personally but what with his personal setback and then his injury a loan would be a good thing right now. I know that's what he wants, Sam is very ambitious and he has a good head on him. I will stick my neck out and say he has got what it takes.

His goal in the U21 final was a stunning thing of beauty, hit with his wrong foot the ball never rose above 6 feet and it was still increasing in velocity when it hit the net, a truly great goal. His cross for Seager to score in the semi-final was also the best cross I saw at SMS last season. I think he has got it personally but what with his personal setback and then his injury a loan would be a good thing right now. I know that's what he wants, Sam is very ambitious and he has a good head on him. I will stick my neck out and say he has got what it takes.

FF

Where would you play him though?

As a central striker (where he started) or out wide on the right as per U21's?

Agree with this. Loan spell exactly what he needs. Not good enough to make an impact at PL level at the moment.

I believe he likes to play down the middle but he can do a job out wide, very much a Jay-Rod type forward.

He doesn't have the pace nor agility of Jay Rod.

He is a centre forward who was playing wide because Seager was scoring every week and we only played one up top in the U21s to mirror the first team.

In the rest of that U21 final he was one of the poorer players IMO. Which is fine as he was coming back from a serious injury.

Not convinced he's a top flight player. At best I think lower half of the table but even then I think at this age he's a bit part.

Best option for his career would be going on loan and hopefully improving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we have become so used to players getting into the 1st team at a young age that we are in danger of writing them off if they don't make it by 18/19. I hope that Sam is given a decent chance to stake his claim. Perhaps a season with a decent Championship side would good for him and us?

I think we have become so used to players getting into the 1st team at a young age that we are in danger of writing them off if they don't make it by 18/19. I hope that Sam is given a decent chance to stake his claim. Perhaps a season with a decent Championship side would good for him and us?

My thoughts too. People write young players off too soon. Some obviously won't make it but others might have to move elsewhere to get the chance they need to kick on, be it on loan or permanent. I'd imagine given what the lad's been through the club will give him a bit more time before making a final judgement.

My thoughts too. People write young players off too soon. Some obviously won't make it but others might have to move elsewhere to get the chance they need to kick on, be it on loan or permanent. I'd imagine given what the lad's been through the club will give him a bit more time before making a final judgement.

Of course they will and he may turn out to be a class player.

But just as equally people expect every young player who plays a first team game for Southampton to be a long term option. The reality is many just won't be good enough to make an impact in the "best league in the world" but will have a great career in football like Billy Sharp or Richard Chaplow have.

The amount people slate Pelle, yet he is miles and miles ahead of Gallagher unless he transforms his game in about 2 years.

The hype comes from the success of the likes of Shaw who came into the team aged 18 and was one of the best players in his position in the entire league.

A striker with the ability to violate the laws of physics with his shots should not be loaned out.

I was going to post that one of our community knows Sam and his family really well. Maybe it is your good self?

Before reading your post, I would have said 'ask if this is something he would like to do - go out on loan' as I wouldn't want to push him out if he would rather train with us and get the odd game. However, if you are the friend of the family and that comment is representative of his preference, then I would grant him that wish. As long as J-Rod stays fit, he can play up top, as can Long - admittedly not the same sort of leader of the line as Pelle, but we can work around that.

I was going to post that one of our community knows Sam and his family really well. Maybe it is your good self?

Before reading your post, I would have said 'ask if this is something he would like to do - go out on loan' as I wouldn't want to push him out if he would rather train with us and get the odd game. However, if you are the friend of the family and that comment is representative of his preference, then I would grant him that wish. As long as J-Rod stays fit, he can play up top, as can Long - admittedly not the same sort of leader of the line as Pelle, but we can work around that.

All I can say is I know Sam thinks a loan move to a decent Championship team is the right move for him now. He needs decent competitive football - which a loan spell would bring - and the club are in agreement. It worked for the likes of Defoe (Bournemouth) and Beckham (Preston) and I truly believe Sam (still only 19) has what it takes. I remember watching Channon at 20/21 and he could look awful but suddenly he blossomed and I am confident Sam has true potential, he has size, presence, skill, self-belief and determination. Players like him don't come along every day, he needs nurturing and he needs to mature but those who are being a bit disdainful have unrealistic expectations. The Prem has changed a lot since the likes of Alan Shearer was able to force his way into the limelight aged 17.

Thanks Duncan, good reading. Be interesting to see where he could go. Bournemouth would have been obvious if they hadn't come up. Brighton probably not high enough. Reading... ?

Bournemouth is a good shout. Won't be able to score against us but may help them take points from our rivals.

We seem to have sent loans to Swindon in recent years. I think he'd get proper game time there, perhaps less so at Reading.

He is a big lad with decent skill. He will bulk out and hopefully his positional sense will improve. Agree with FF, he could be a very handy striker for us but needs game time.

All I can say is I know Sam thinks a loan move to a decent Championship team is the right move for him now. He needs decent competitive football - which a loan spell would bring - and the club are in agreement. It worked for the likes of Defoe (Bournemouth) and Beckham (Preston) and I truly believe Sam (still only 19) has what it takes. I remember watching Channon at 20/21 and he could look awful but suddenly he blossomed and I am confident Sam has true potential, he has size, presence, skill, self-belief and determination. Players like him don't come along every day, he needs nurturing and he needs to mature but those who are being a bit disdainful have unrealistic expectations.

The Prem has changed a lot since the likes of Alan Shearer was able to force his way into the limelight aged 17.

and as we recall Duncan, ....it took a season or so for Mick and Alan .S to become a regular.....Sam has time on his side, it shouldn't be wasted in the U21s

FF

Where would you play him though?

As a central striker (where he started) or out wide on the right as per U21's?

I believe he likes to play down the middle but he can do a job out wide, very much a Jay-Rod type forward.

Good analysis Duncan .......and he is only 19 and has been set back 2 years..........

Swindon would be a good shout for a loan spell........

In theory, a loan away with plenty of first team football would be a good idea to help bring him on. However that does need to be balanced against how he would react to moving away.

I don't know Sam at all, but given what he's been through - if he lives at home at the moment then a loan away will mean leaving his own family and also the 'Saints family' that would have been supportive to him. It could make or break him as a person as much as a footballer. That said, we seem to be a club that does look at things beyond a football pitch so I'm sure they're taking the off the field situation into account as much as the on the field.

In theory, a loan away with plenty of first team football would be a good idea to help bring him on. However that does need to be balanced against how he would react to moving away.

I don't know Sam at all, but given what he's been through - if he lives at home at the moment then a loan away will mean leaving his own family and also the 'Saints family' that would have been supportive to him. It could make or break him as a person as much as a footballer. That said, we seem to be a club that does look at things beyond a football pitch so I'm sure they're taking the off the field situation into account as much as the on the field.

I think that's the only reservation that I would have, too. Even though he's already 19, he might not settle so well on his own in a strange environment.

The " family " is a key part of the Saints Academy structure and surely one of the reasons that Sam has come so far, so quickly. Hopefully the club will take note of that.

depends on how long Adkins will stay at Sheff.Utd. L1.. poor pitches, low on skills and heavy on fouls.

A good Championship side is the best bet.

L1 didn't harm the development of Schneiderlin or Lallana did it ?

That said, inclined to agree Championship might be a better option, providing its to a team who try and play a bit, not just taking him as "oh he's a big lad, can play as a battering ram up front for us...".

depends on how long Adkins will stay at Sheff.Utd. L1.. poor pitches, low on skills and heavy on fouls.

A good Championship side is the best bet.

I think the rough and tumble in league 1 and Adkins style of play will do him good , do it for 6 months and if he does well look for a championship club in January!

@reluctantnicko: BLACKBURN ROVERS. Can't join the Sam Gallagher race. Southampton want a loan fee. These FFP rules are a joke.

Hopefully - and I'm sure they will - the club will allow him to go to the best place to improve him as a player rather than worry about the few grand we'd get as a loan fee.

Would he get in a championship side!? I'm not convinced from what I've seen, but certainly would do him good going out on loan. I'd be tempted to loan him to someone like Swindon until January, then if he does well either extend, or send him to a Championship club then.