Pochettino interview: Spurs are a bigger club than Saints, etc.

Singapore Saint

Absolute nonsense. Taking a club from relegation candidates to an 8th place finish is an achievement. Like it or not he took us up a level, there might not have been a 'promotion' but he raised the bar and did a great job here.

I don't want to denigrate the job he did with us but we had already turned the corner results wise when he arrived. That is why there were many upset by Adkins' sacking.

But Spurs are a much bigger club than Saints?

Don't know why Pochettino gets so much hate from Saints fans to be honest, did well here.

Perhaps because he was instrumental in persuading some of our best players to leave?

Perhaps because he was instrumental in persuading some of our best players to leave?

Or the way he strung the club along about signing a new contract while he sorted out a move to Spurs. Or his attempts to get Morgan for 10 million because he thought Morgan's contract had a 10 mil release clause other than that nice bloke....

I don't want to denigrate the job he did with us but we had already turned the corner results wise when he arrived. That is why there were many upset by Adkins' sacking.

At the end of the first season he managed to get us one whole position higher in half a season than Adkins had us when he left. There is nothing much to suggest that Adkins could not have managed that position too. It is dabateable as to whether Adkins could have got us up to eighth the following season, but all that is important to us is that Koeman has proven to be a step up from Pochettino, who despite doing a good job here, was a bit one-dimensional in his tactics and a bit of a two-faced weasel to boot.

Personally speaking I never took to him after he was happy to be paraded within a couple of hours of Adkins being dismissed. If he had any morals he could of suggested he showed due respect to a fellow manager. From day he showed what a self centered egotistic **** he was. I'm not at all surprised by his interview.

LOL.

I love the bit about "It’s always easier to join a club where the dynamic and winning mentality is already in place than the one we inherited when we went there, with all the problems." Did Koeman inherit any problems? He certainly inherited a team that was devoid of half it's dynamic and winning mentality, if not all of it. Presumably MP, with his self-aggrandisement, considered himself the catalyst for the mentality, so for a start, we were devoid of that even before considering the players that ****ed off at the first sniff of more money.

And I do love the bit about us spending €80-90m. It obviously rankles with him. What did he expect us to do, not spend anything and go into the season with half a team?

As it is....

Southampton 14/15 - spent £61.63m (which includes the Jan purchase of Bertrand) - sold £86.68m (including Cork)

Spurs 14/15 - spent £33.93m - sold £34.48m

Net spend for both is good, but not in the same ball park and the situation of us losing half the team and manager is completely different to any team ever in the PL (although I am sure someone will point out that it isn't). It's not our fault that Spuds spunked away £100m and he is picking up the pieces - it will be interesting to see if he can replace all those that he is getting rid off. He should have known what he was walking into and not complain about it. There are interviews with RK about the situation here, and he is much more pragmatic. He said that he knew players were going and not once have I heard him make excuses.

Just IMO, it shows a distinct lack of class what he says about us and his time here while trying to justify his current situation at Spurs. But then, I really couldn't give a flying what he says and does as he is the manager of another club who I have absolutely no interest in. And it is just his opinion and as the saying goes "opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance."

Shouldn't that be sold £88.68m as we got £2m for Poch and his assistant Jesus somebody?

The thing about Spurs is... yes they are a bigger club than us, but not that much bigger. It's like dumping your girlfriend because she's fat and ending up with someone not quite as fat.

I would say that the distance between Spurs and Saints is smaller than, say, Spurs and Arsenal. It's as if he left us for Man United or Barcelona when at the end of the day he left for a club that outperformed Saints by a total of 4 points and two places. A club that isn't even guaranteed top 6, much less top 4.

Sorry the gap between Spurs and Saints is significant (and I say that as a Saints fan who can't stand the North London yobbos).

On the pitch, at the moment, there's not much in it, but commercially they are streets ahead and in the long term that equips them better.

You've only got to look at this site for a measure of size, a match day thread on Spurs Community (or West Ham's Kumb for another example) gets pages more responses. Sure this might reflect the restrictive practices on this site - but it also shows there are far more engaged fans in the UK and abroad. These people buy shirts, watch games on TV and buy tickets for matches - hence attractive to sponsors etc.

Couple that with the fact they're London based and get more media, be attractive to players in terms of location etc. and you can see why Poch / Toby see them as 'bigger' and chose them over us.

That said I think many of their fans are nobbers with unrealistic expectations and a sense of entitlement. Plus I've chosen Kane in my Fantasy Team so that's their season screwed.

Correct.

I see just like Adkins, who quickly went from the new Alex Ferguson, the next great English manager to a nice guy out if his depth in the premier league Pochetino is now only an okay manager who didn't really achieve anything. I didn't particularly like Pochettino but only a moron would say he didn't improve us.

Not sure we were even "relegation candidates" when Adkins left.

Spurs not much bigger than us?? Really? Spurs are massive. Drive anywhere round this country and you'll see someone walking round with a Spurs shirt on. They might win **** all but they're a massive club in this country and have a

Much better world wide standing than us.

People need to get over this "big club" mentality and accept that we are a large provincial club and that's it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spurs not much bigger than us?? Really? Spurs are massive. Drive anywhere round this country and you'll see someone walking round with a Spurs shirt on. They might win **** all but they're a massive club in this country and have a

Much better world wide standing than us.

People need to get over this "big club" mentality and accept that we are a large provincial club and that's it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They don't have a heartland any more though. Tottenham itself is a dump and most people around there seem to support Liverpool, Man United, Arsenal. Spurs have a widespread area they draw supporters from, but are never the best supported club in any area. They're a club with no community or soul in common with some other London clubs.

Sorry the gap between Spurs and Saints is significant (and I say that as a Saints fan who can't stand the North London yobbos).

On the pitch, at the moment, there's not much in it, but commercially they are streets ahead and in the long term that equips them better.

You've only got to look at this site for a measure of size, a match day thread on Spurs Community (or West Ham's Kumb for another example) gets pages more responses. Sure this might reflect the restrictive practices on this site - but it also shows there are far more engaged fans in the UK and abroad. These people buy shirts, watch games on TV and buy tickets for matches - hence attractive to sponsors etc.

Couple that with the fact they're London based and get more media, be attractive to players in terms of location etc. and you can see why Poch / Toby see them as 'bigger' and chose them over us.

That said I think many of their fans are nobbers with unrealistic expectations and a sense of entitlement. Plus I've chosen Kane in my Fantasy Team so that's their season screwed.

To be fair, this site has 50 posts per page on default. Other sites have more like 10-14.

Drive anywhere round this country and you'll see someone walking round with a Spurs shirt on.

I've been living in Islington all year and I've genuinely never seen a single person in a Spurs shirt but have seen two people in Saints shirts on separate occasions. It's all Chelsea and Arsenal.

• 7 months later...

I live in deepest darkest Kent. Never seen anyone wearing a Spuds shirt and don't know any Spuds supporters here. I know of one other Saints supporter, two plastic Mancs, a Notts Forest fan, two West Ham fans, two Arsenal fans and I have seen a few people in Arsenal shirts around.

I live in deepest darkest Kent. Never seen anyone wearing a Spuds shirt and don't know any Spuds supporters here. I know of one other Saints supporter, two plastic Mancs, a Notts Forest fan, two West Ham fans, two Arsenal fans and I have seen a few people in Arsenal shirts around.

Billy No Mates ;)

A Notts Forest fan. Really? I'm sure he would take you to task over that.

I love how the spurs fans on the comments believe he'll never want to leave them.

They are just another stepping stone for him, just as we were...

Why? Spurs hatred aside, where would he go if he won the league with them and got in the Champions League? He may turn up at Real Madrid perhaps, but only if he has success in Europe - he'll get a chance with Spurs. They'll spend bigger this year and not on dross such as AVB bought.

So, Spurs and Pochettino 'hatred' aside, where is he going to go?