Saints 1 Espanyol 1

alehouseboys

So, after having the misfortune to catch meridian tonight, they did a report on the Vitesse support/our match last night and after mentioned that Reading play a friendly against Espanyol tomorrow and no mention of us having the same fixture.

I guess the Spaniards are splitting their squad, anyone know who faces their first/strongest team?

Opponents

Espanyol finished 10th in La Liga last season and are managed by former Spain international midfielder Sergio.

They have endured a tough summer in the transfer market, losing goalkeeper Kiko Casilla to Real Madrid while striker Christhian Stuani is set to join Middlesbrough.

The Spanish club, who also play Southampton on Saturday, have named a 23-man squad for their trip to England.

Espanyol: Pau, Germán, Bardi, Arbilla, Rober, Héctor Moreno, Álvaro, Raíllo, M. Caballé, Lluís López, Duarte, Víctor Álvarez, Víctor Sánchez, Javi López, Abraham, Cañas, Álex, Jordán, Salva Sevilla, Montañés, Hernán Pérez, Burgui y Caicedo.

Star man: Hector Moreno (defender).

from a Reading website,

It's a strange one, fingers crossed for no opposition injuries then.

The Spanish club, who also play Southampton on Saturday, have named a 23-man squad for their trip to England.

Aren't we playing them on Sunday? They'll probably use two different teams each half at each game, a bit like our 2 different line ups for the 2 45 min games at Salzburg.

why is this game even being played?

If Koeman uses it for gametime in pre-season for those not starting the Europa League games, then perhaps Saints may line-up like this...

1305578_Southampton.jpg

Koeman has already stated Rodriguez will start. It could be useful to give the likes of Ward-Prowse, Reed, Caulker, Juanmi, Martina, Long & Rodriguez a game if they won't start on Thursday vs Vitesse or Sunday vs Newcastle.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Be interesting to see which Saints team appears. I can't imagine anyone who started last night will play more than 45 minutes. Hopefully we can give the likes of Stek, Jay Rod, Caulker and Juanmi a decent run out.

I wouldn't risk Mané in this one. He looks razor sharp already and I'd hate for him to get a knock.

Aren't we playing them on Sunday? They'll probably use two different teams each half at each game, a bit like our 2 different line ups for the 2 45 min games at Salzburg.

Ah, that kind of explains it, I had it down as Saturday.

Good opportunity for our fringe players against tired opposition then!

So long as we play better than last time we met them I don't care. We were 4 - 0 down at halftime if I remember correctly....!!! Finished 3 - 4 after they took pity on us....!

Might have been 3-0 to them at HT, but otherwise agree. Remember seeing their teamsheet, all spanish players (unlike the big boys in their league) and so we thought we should be ok against them. Terrific passing and movement against a static SFC, they tore us apart!

All that said, we are a much better side now and it should be different this time.

I can't wait for this one - was born and raised in Southampton but moved away before I was old enough to see any games, now I'm coming home to St Mary's for the first time. I've seen a few away games close to Norwich, but I am sure nothing beats a home game, even if it is a friendly.

So long as we play better than last time we met them I don't care. We were 4 - 0 down at halftime if I remember correctly....!!! Finished 3 - 4 after they took pity on us....!

I think the performance will be pretty disjointed.

A bit of a mish mash of a side from us. We will do well to win this IMO

I'm going, although having already seen a competitive match makes it feel strange. I'm not driving like on Thursday night but training it so a few beers with friends, pick up a few bits I need in Decathlon and only a fiver for the ticket. Chance to see some of the secondary players too, plus hopefully J-Rod starting. Seems a reasonable day out to me, even if not the buzz of a competitive match.

He's injured*

*most probably

No he isn't (I think). He was reported as not fully fit 2 weeks ago when the squad went to Holland and was left behind but there was never any suggestion that he was actually injured just not up to the fitness standards expected. He's had 2 weeks since to work on his fitness but has not appeared as far as I can see in any training photo galleries or similar. Yet before the Dutch trip he looked reasonably OK and was involved in training.

http://m.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/13522663.Rodriguez_to_make_St_Mary_s_comeback/

Jay Rodriguez will tomorrow return to first team action at St Mary’s for the first time since March 2014.

The 26-year-old last started a game at St Mary’s as he scored twice in a 4-0 romp over Newcastle.

His next appearance for Saints, away to Manchester City, saw him sustain the knee injury that has sidelined him ever since.

Rodriguez was not included in the squad to face Vitesse on Thursday night with Ronald Koeman holding him back to start tomorrow’s friendly against Espanyol.

“In a short time we have different games and Jay is still not in the shape to play every three days,” said Koeman.

“He will start this Sunday because he needs but Thursday and Sunday is still too much and we have to think about that.”

Koeman will be paying close attention to Rodriguez’s progress when he faces the Spanish side, who were first visitors to St Mary’s when the stadium opened in 2001.

Even though fans are desperate to see the top scorer from the 2013/14 season back in regular action for the first team in competitive games, Koeman is still trying to ensure his comeback is not blighted by further problems.

However, the Saints boss has not entirely ruled out Rodriguez featuring in the return leg at Vitesse next Thursday night if everything goes well this weekend.

“It’s possible because he’s doing well, he’s not really like before but that’s normal because a long time out of competition football,” admitted Koeman.

“He needs time and he gets that time and Sunday he will start against Espanyol.

Edited by trousers

First game at St Mary's, felt very weird being in the ground for the first time thinking this is ours!

Starting to wonder where JWP is gonna fit in this season. I rated him highly the season before last and expected big things from him but I honestly don't see him holding down a first team place at the moment. Not really sure of his best position either, although it would appear to be the 1 ahead of the 2 DMs. He's often praised for his set piece delivery but from what I've seen they are usually overhit. I can see him stepping in for Clasie if he's injured but he won't be first choice. So, he's a bit of a dilemma really, a strong squad player yes, but expected a little more from him.

He'll play today and its his chance to impress. He's got to stand out. Come on Prowsey!

Starting to wonder where JWP is gonna fit in this season. I rated him highly the season before last and expected big things from him but I honestly don't see him holding down a first team place at the moment. Not really sure of his best position either, although it would appear to be the 1 ahead of the 2 DMs. He's often praised for his set piece delivery but from what I've seen they are usually overhit. I can see him stepping in for Clasie if he's injured but he won't be first choice. So, he's a bit of a dilemma really, a strong squad player yes, but expected a little more from him.

Its not a problem if he isn't a regular starter, he is only 20 years old. The number of 20 year olds that are regulars in the Premier League is tiny, let alone for one in the top half. Given the number of games we could play this season and injuries/suspensions he'll still get a good amount of gametime, as he has for the last 3 years.

Personally I don't think JWP will cut it at this level. He's ok as back up, but doesn't really offer much to the team. There's a reason he's never linked with a move to a bigger club like a lot of our other players.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Do you mean the level that he has been playing at regularly for the past two seasons?

No he isn't (I think). He was reported as not fully fit 2 weeks ago when the squad went to Holland and was left behind but there was never any suggestion that he was actually injured just not up to the fitness standards expected. He's had 2 weeks since to work on his fitness but has not appeared as far as I can see in any training photo galleries or similar. Yet before the Dutch trip he looked reasonably OK and was involved in training.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/13506966.Mayuka_and_Ramirez_Saints_futures_under_threat/

Ramirez didn’t even travel for the pre-season trip to Holland because of another injury problem, and Koeman sounded less than enthusiastic about his chances of making a breakthrough now.

"The future is difficult because Gaston has had a lot of injuries in the last two years and that’s the big problem of Gaston,” said Koeman of the player who has just one year left to run on his contract.

"We had a good hope for this pre-season but after one week he was injured again. He didn’t travel with the team to Austria or Holland and it is difficult because the rest of the players are in a good shape."

"You come from behind and the past is not very positive. You know his situation."

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/13506966.Mayuka_and_Ramirez_Saints_futures_under_threat/

Ramirez didn’t even travel for the pre-season trip to Holland because of another injury problem, and Koeman sounded less than enthusiastic about his chances of making a breakthrough now.

"The future is difficult because Gaston has had a lot of injuries in the last two years and that’s the big problem of Gaston,” said Koeman of the player who has just one year left to run on his contract.

"We had a good hope for this pre-season but after one week he was injured again. He didn’t travel with the team to Austria or Holland and it is difficult because the rest of the players are in a good shape."

"You come from behind and the past is not very positive. You know his situation."

Good, thats cleared up then, I was basing what I knew on Koeman's interview opnline which didn't mention any injury, just that he was not fully fit.

Doesn't sound too hopeful of Gaston being involved in any way this season based on the Echo report then, whether anyone thinks that's good or not is another matter.

Southampton FC@SouthamptonFC 7m7 minutes ago

#SaintsFC team against @RCDEspanyol: K. Davis, Martina, Fonte ©, Caulker, Targett, Wanyama, Ward-Prowse, Long, Juanmi, Rodriguez, Pellè.

Southampton FC@SouthamptonFC 7m7 minutes ago

#SaintsFC substitutes against @RCDEspanyol: Gazzaniga (GK), Cédric, Yoshida, S. Davis, Mané, Tadić, Reed, McCarthy, Debayo, McQueen.

From last nights game v Reading!!!

67mins

The battle of the Mad Stad

Wow, this game has just exploded into life.

Jordan Obita has been sent off for Reading, as has Alvaro Gonzalez for Espanyol.

It was all started by a really hefty challenge by Obita which lead to an almighty flare-up involving pretty much everyone on the pitch and the substitutes.That wasn't pretty. Things have calmed down now but both teams are down to 10 men.

73mins

Friendly? What friendly?

The two managers are now going at it.

Steve Clarke angrily pointing and shouting at the Espanyol boss after a bad tackle on Sa leaves the striker prone on the turf.

The fourth official has to step in.

Once that has calmed down, Royals make a change. Stephen Quinn goes off, on comes Hope Akpan.

Hope everybody keeps a cool head today. Certainly don't want any silly injuries or suspensions!!! Thegame ended 0-0 ( 1-1 on Red Cards!!)

Wonder what the future holds for Isgrove? Signed the contract last season but not in squad or featuring with first team squad. Seems odd....

Perhaps Isgrove is on the verge of a loan (or just injured).

McCarthy was in the Europa League match day squad rather than Stephens and Turnbull on Thursday, with Stephens at the time close to a loan to Middlesbrough and it seems Turnbull close to returning to Swindon.