New Contract For Wanyama?

pluto

I think Walcott just said to Arsenal "pay Southampton a decent fee or I'm not signing for you".

Maybe Shaw did this too. He did sign a long term contract when he didn't have to and we got lots of money.

This why we should ve have signed him on a five year contract and not a four year one like we seem to do.

Had he signed a five year one he would have 2 years remaining on his next summer, giving us much more flexibility to negociate his transfee fee if he doesn t want to stay.

Except that we would have signed Osvaldo and Ramirez to 5 year contracts too. I don't think there is any way to do this right reliably. Maybe a four year contract with a club option for a fifth year that can be exercised after three years but gives the player a significant raise?

I agree with most of what you said but I disagree with this. The whole 'it's not your money' argument doesn't mean anything because it's like because you personally don't spend it on a player you can't judge a player against the fee paid for him. In which case we can't say Osvaldo was a waste of money, and we can't say Fonte was amazing value - except they were.

And getting a bigger fee for Wanyama does help in replacing him, as we have more money, which gives you more ability in the market. That a players contract duration impacts their fee so much is annoying, but that is life. It's just worth remembering we also benefit from it as much as we are victims of it!

Maybe even more so.

I don't know about you, but I'm dreading pre-season 18/19.

Good point. The pressure to stay up with the big new TV contract on the horizon will be immense.

• 2 weeks later...
Expect a 'media' stirring transfer offer from Spurs.

Wanyama wants wages way above our financial structure.

Not surprising. He'll go next summer. Hopefully after a loan spell this year Reed will be able to fully step up next season and save us spending funds on a replacement

Various sources reporting that Tottenham have officially enquired about wanyama:

http://www.talkingbaws.com/2015/08/20/tottenham-make-official-enquiry-for-southamptons-ex-celtic-midfielder-victor-wanyama/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3204031/Tottenham-eye-Southampton-midfielder-Victor-Wanyama.html

So that is Pelle, Mane, Wanyama and Fonte in the last 7 days.

Do we believe the board who get sweaty palms at any offer, or the papers who correctly had all our star players down as leaving last summer?

Troubling times may be ahead :lol:

Wow, Paul Mitchell must be working his socks off if that is all he can come up with. I imagine they'll offer us £10m. Personally, and I am sure that others will disagree, defensively he was better than Morgan. So that will be up in the same sort of territory £25m-ish which Levy won't pay. So why even bother enquiring? Levy has actually stated that the days of the £20m+ signings are over and that they are going for £10m ones. Big Vic doesn't enter that category so they can just jog on and stop wasting everyone's time.

After losing spiderman & clyne the club will surely be reluctant to sell any more key players & risk a divided dressing room and alienating fans further? Or are we just that a selling club and everyone is ultimately for sale at the right price

It must be very frustrating for you fans that the club cannot keep hold of its best players. A whole contingent have already left in a short space of time. And now Wanyama looks set to leave, at last next summer, and United has serious interest in Mane.

The Everton board handles it differently. They offer their best players big contracts. And they just hold on to them. They kept Baines and Coleman despite heavy interest, and now they do the same with Stones. Is that a policy you would rather see from the Saints board?