CONFIRMED - Oriol Romeu joins on 3-Year Deal

Saint-Armstrong

Ha! One of the most misunderstood Shakespeare quotes.

In the context, 'wherefore?' actually roughly translates as 'why?'. (Juliet is musing about why she had to fall in love with Romeo as opposed to someone more 'suitable'. She is not, as many would believe, leaning over the balcony and asking where he is).

Anyway, back to football, Romeu was very highly regarded by a lot of Chelsea fans and many were sad to see him go. Seems like a very canny signing. Definitely good to get some physical strength in the midfield.

Indeed, "why does your name have to be Romeo" is the gist of it, because he's a Montague, and, well, y'know, she's a Capulet and they're at war and all that.

As opposed to "faaaaaack I can't find him". :D

In the context, 'wherefore?' actually roughly translates as 'why?'. (Juliet is musing about why she had to fall in love with Romeo as opposed to someone more 'suitable'. She is not, as many would believe, leaning over the balcony and asking where he is)..

You would have thought Shakespeare of all people would know how to write and communicate clearly;)

The kids aren't ready yet. Our reputation for giving young players chances seems to be almost exclusively for attacking-minded players (I'm including Shaw and Chambers in that); CB and GK are positions where you can't afford to be bullied around - a mistake could easily equal an opposition goal - and players tend to keep getting better with age. Look at Terry and Fonte, two of the best CBs in the league. If Turnbull were playing CB against Man City or somebody then there's a good chance he wouldn't have the physicality or experience to deal with their attackers and end up making mistakes, causing us to concede goals and for his confidence to go down the pan.

Young attacking players, great, the more the merrier. Young CBs/GKs - get them out on loan until they're ready.

In the u21 game the other night we had 8 out of 10 had played for the first team not including Clasie

With Romeu and possibly van Dijk they'd be a good amount of depth to the squad...

Goalkeepers

Stekelenburg

Forster (long term injury)

Gazzaniga

K.Davis

Right backs

Cedric

Martina

Left backs

Bertrand

Targett

Centre backs

Fonte

van Dijk?

Caulker

Yoshida

Gardos (long term injury)

Central midfield

Wanyama

Clasie

Romeu

S.Davis

Ward-Prowse

Reed

Attacking players

Pelle

Mane

Rodriguez

Tadic

Juanmi

Long

Plus some promising under 21 players if needed.

With Romeu and possibly van Dijk they'd be a good amount of depth to the squad...

Goalkeepers

Stekelenburg

Gazzaniga

K.Davis

Right backs

Cedric

Martina

Left backs

Bertrand

Targett

Centre backs

Fonte

van Dijk?

Caulker

Yoshida

Central midfield

Wanyama

Clasie

Romeu

S.Davis

Ward-Prowse

Reed

Attacking players

Pelle

Mane

Rodriguez

Tadic

Juanmi

Long

You'd think that RK would be reasonably happy to include the likes of Seager, Hesketh, Gape, McCarthy, McQueen, Isgrove of the younger players as substitutes where needed, if perhaps not yet starters. Throw in Stephens, Turnbull and Gallagher as well in case of an injury crisis and it looks pretty healthy. Perhaps the only thing lacking (apart from the centre back unless VVD is bought) is an experienced winger / wide option in that squad, though the likes of Mané, Tadic and Rodriguez can play out there

The kids aren't ready yet. Our reputation for giving young players chances seems to be almost exclusively for attacking-minded players (I'm including Shaw and Chambers in that); CB and GK are positions where you can't afford to be bullied around - a mistake could easily equal an opposition goal - and players tend to keep getting better with age. Look at Terry and Fonte, two of the best CBs in the league. If Turnbull were playing CB against Man City or somebody then there's a good chance he wouldn't have the physicality or experience to deal with their attackers and end up making mistakes, causing us to concede goals and for his confidence to go down the pan.

Young attacking players, great, the more the merrier. Young CBs/GKs - get them out on loan until they're ready.

Duplicate

Edited by Give it to Ron
I'm a ****

In the context, 'wherefore?' actually roughly translates as 'why?'. (Juliet is musing about why she had to fall in love with Romeo as opposed to someone more 'suitable'. She is not, as many would believe, leaning over the balcony and asking where he is).

Anyway, back to football, Romeu was very highly regarded by a lot of Chelsea fans and many were sad to see him go. Seems like a very canny signing. Definitely good to get some physical strength in the midfield.

The Danish for 'why?' is actually 'hvorfor?' which I always like to think of as 'what for?'

Goalkeepers

Stekelenburg

Gazzaniga

K.Davis

Right backs

Cedric

Martina

Left backs

Bertrand

Targett

Centre backs

Fonte

van Dijk?

Caulker

Yoshida

Central midfield

Wanyama

Clasie

Romeu

S.Davis

Ward-Prowse

Reed

Attacking players

Pelle

Mane

Rodriguez

Tadic

Juanmi

Long

Could add Martina to LB and CB too at a push.

Goalkeepers

Stekelenburg

Gazzaniga

K.Davis

Right backs

Cedric

Martina

Left backs

Bertrand

Targett

Centre backs

Fonte

van Dijk?

Caulker

Yoshida

Central midfield

Wanyama

Clasie

Romeu

S.Davis

Ward-Prowse

Reed

Attacking players

Pelle

Mane

Rodriguez

Tadic

Juanmi

Long

And 17 can make the match day squad?! Gonna be some disappointed professionals each week!

With Turnbull and Stephens it seems like we're committed to keeping them until they're in their mid 20s, but letting them out on loan for experience.

Aren't we just trying to do a budget Chelsea? Loan out our promising youth players who don't quite make it and sell them for 2-3m to some Champ/Lower prem team.

United used to be great at this.

Assuming that Caulker is going to get regular football and the fact that this guy can play at CB if required, I'm not sure we'll go for VvD. As things stand there's a few clubs interested in Virgil and Celtic will hold out for the highest bidder. I could see a price war between Sunderland, Newcastle, Everton and ourselves and we've never been a club to get involved in that nonsense. We'll have a figure that we're prepared to go to but will walk away if it all starts to get out of hand.

Sounds like just what we need to add some depth to the CDM position. Only slight concern would be that it could hamper Reed's progress a bit but Koeman seemed to prefer slotting Davis/JWP in there instead of him when there was an injury anyway so might not really make much of a difference in that respect.

Also wonder if the club have the possibility of Vic not signing a new contract in the back of their minds so trying to reinforce that position early.

When I read this thread I'm thinking things like 'well we never really replaced Cork', 'Wanyama always misses a chunk of games with injury/suspension' and 'we've got those Europa games if we qualify for the group stages' so I think Harry Reed will still get a chance, and this guy. I still think losing Cork may have cost us a position or even two in the league last year because we did end up a little short in that spot last season. The challenge is keeping everyone happy even if they're not first choice/playing every week. This guy may be a very good answer to that question.

For those suggesting he could play CB has he played there much in the past? Can't recall it myself but admittedly don't know the player that well.

I'm still of the belief that we want VVD as a replacement for Toby (no smoke without fire and weren't we even rumoured to have put in a bid?) and with Caulker on loan as a replacement for the injured Gardos and Yoshida and Fonte as first teamers I can't see the need for any more CB cover (have the youngsters as well if desperate).

I prefer these 'all touches' type videos. It gives you a better sense of what the player is about then a few cherry-picked highlights:

Looks strong and a reasonable passer with both feet. Wonder if we could move Clasie further forward in place of Davis or JWP, where his ability with through-balls etc might be better utilised?

The Cork replacement. Plays like him in exactly the same way as far as I can see.

I am sure he is pleased to hear that after learning his trade with Barcelona, and playing for Chelsea's first team he has reached the level of Swansea's sub!

Looks strong and a reasonable passer with both feet. Wonder if we could move Clasie further forward in place of Davis or JWP, where his ability with through-balls etc might be better utilised?

Was thinking the same. Something like this as our strongest starting 11...?

----------- Steklenberg ---------------

Cedric - Fonte - VvD (stc) - Bertrand

----- Romeu -------- Wanyama ------

-------------- Clasie -------------------

-- Mane -----------------Jrod/Tadic* --

-------------- Pelle ---------------------

Bench (7 from 10): Gazza, Caulker, Yoshida, Martina, JWP, Davis, Reed, Juanmi, Long, Tadic/JRod*

(*can't choose between these two)