Sky reporting Fonte in talks with Villa

Fitzhugh Fella

Isn't there a conflict of interest with Sky having the major Sports News Channel in the country and then making up stories which influence gullible people to place bets on Skybet?

Skybet is the only UK bookmaker with a sister company that can influence the market significantly through "news" stories.

I've no doubt someone will have seen the story today and punted a pound or two on it. In which case, yes.

I have been at the health suite this morning. I was doing some work on a tread mill

on another machine , RK was do some gentle walking, I asked him how his Hamstring injury was, , he. said he didn't have a hamstring injury

he told me it was rib injury he had sustained, I said how did he get that, He said the through the constant laughing re the all the ludicrous transfer rumours re saints and him becoming the dutch national coach etc.

I decided not to ask him about the fonte rumour, damaged ribs are a very painful . so didn't want to add to his painful ribs

What I'd like to know is why RK is in Kirkwall. Sounds fishy to me.:lol:

The whole thing with betting companies is shady at best. For example today we have announced betfair as our official betting partner. Who's to say that someone within the club couldn't have leaked rumours that Fonte may be leaving in order to encourage bets on it that they knew wouldn't pay out? Purely hypothetical of course and i'm not suggesting anything of the sort would happen at the club but getting any betting company directly involved with clubs seems like trouble to me as there is potential for this sort of thing.

Villa will enquire/bid.

Saints AND Fonte will reject.

Saints HAVE made an offer for VVD. This proposal consists of clauses and fee's depending on Celtics CL qualification.

Two Championship clubs sniffing around Harrison Reed.

Fraser making slow but steady progress, in good spirits despite the obvious.

Few of the youth lads off to SGP to represent England.

Cheers Monk. Assume the bid for VvD was put in very recently (last 24 hours maybe) given the various reports yesterday that an actual bid hadn't been made yet?

Is there any possible scenario whereby Celtic sell him to us before the next CL games or is that a non-negotiable position as far as they're concerned?

Apologies for all the questions! :)

Villa will enquire/bid.

Saints HAVE made an offer for VVD. This proposal consists of clauses and fee's depending on Celtics CL qualification.

Cheers Monk, Steve said he was having a medical yesterday, had you heard similar? Be a bit strange if he had a medical the day of a game.

A season long loan in the Championship would do wonders for Reed

I'd be disappointed if we shipped reed out on loan. it would show a complete unwillingness to give our own talented academy players first team opportunities, especially in a season where we have bonus of European games where rotation should occur.

It's all about what is best for their development. 10 mins here, 20 mins there, with the odd 90 thrown in, playing for us; or playing 40 odd full games for a decent Championship outfit?

I'd be disappointed if we shipped reed out on loan. it would show a complete unwillingness to give our own talented academy players first team opportunities, especially in a season where we have bonus of European games where rotation should occur.

We can't give our academy players regular first team football if they just aren't good enough yet. The fact that we've brought in Clasie and Romeu and are considering loaning Reed out suggests he isn't ready yet. We gave first team opportunities to Oli Lancashire, Calum Davenport, Jamie White and Jake Thompson when they clearly weren't ready for it. Look how that turned out.

We can't give our academy players regular first team football if they just aren't good enough yet. The fact that we've brought in Clasie and Romeu and are considering loaning Reed out suggests he isn't ready yet. We gave first team opportunities to Oli Lancashire, Calum Davenport, Jamie White and Jake Thompson when they clearly weren't ready for it. Look how that turned out.

Don't agree at all. Reed's already shown he can play at prem level in his handful of games last season. Don't see sending him down the leagues as particularly benefitting his development, especially over prem and European opportunities that should be on offer over course of season at saints. Don't agree that desperate straights of administration years should have any bearing on giving opportunities to our talented academy players in the present.

Isn't Reed the one that our Les describes as the best young talent he's ever seen? That, combined with his previously stated policy (In the main, to not loan players out) suggests Harrison Reed will not be going anywhere.

We have just loaned out Gallagher,Turnbull and Stephens,so that suggests the no loan policy is out the window

Don't agree at all. Reed's already shown he can play at prem level in his handful of games last season. Don't see sending him down the leagues as particularly benefitting his development, especially over prem and European opportunities that should be on offer over course of season at saints. Don't agree that desperate straights of administration years should have any bearing on giving opportunities to our talented academy players in the present.

He put in a couple of decent performances but that doesn't prove he is up to it yet. Targett has also put in a couple of decent performances but I don't think he is quite ready yet either.

My point about those youth players in the admin season was that they looked promising but they weren't ready for regular first team action. I wouldn't want to make the same mistakes when there is no need to. Reed is 20 years old, he wont be a has-been if he spends a year in the Championship.

Loan.

No idea where Saints stand on it and through another channel I had heard Derby was one of the club but heard that from another chap.

Will Hughes is out long term so that would make sense.

As for Fonte, I couldn't believe it when I got in and read this, and while it's not beyond the realms of possibility, I find it extremely unlikely he would go anywhere that might be deemed as a demotion in the eyes of a Saints fan. Fonte is a legend now and has seen us through the good times. He's only a couple (few maybe) of years from retirement, I think he'll see those days out with us. Mind you I thought that about Rickie...

Hopefully this will have been put to bed by Saturday, but if the rumours are still going then maybe we can sing this, fits with his current 80s inspired song, so for those of you old enough to remember Yazoo:

Jose Fonte, don't you know?

We ain't ever gonna let you go

Don't go!

Do do do do do do do....

No club would sell a player in the top 3 in his position last season unless it was for crazy money IMO!

Clyne and Schneiderlin went. Both in top 3 last season in their specific position. Neither for crazy money by PL standards.

Villa is very different from Liverpool or Man Utd but you can just never rule anything out. Transfer window always throws up suprises, although probably not in this case.

Clyne and Schneiderlin went. Both in top 3 last season in their specific position. Neither for crazy money by PL standards.

Villa is very different from Liverpool or Man Utd but you can just never rule anything out. Transfer window always throws up suprises, although probably not in this case.

A fee less than we got for Clyne would still be pretty crazy money for Fonte in all honesty. But he's still worth more than that to us and he won't go.

Personally I think the ones we loan we think probably aren't going to make it in the Premier League.

I'm undecided. Maybe they've decided that if they pick clubs that play good football, then the players will learn better whilst playing competitive football rather than the U21 stuff. After all, I do think that Lallana and Morgan (to name just two) wouldn't be the same quality of player had they not learned their trade in the lower league with us.

Imagine if Arsenal had indeed bought Morgan when we did, he would have either been loaned back out anyway, or just left to plod along in their reserves, sorry, U21s.

Villa will enquire/bid.

Was just thinking today after the Romeu signing he could do with a loan to Derby, decent club who should be pushing for promotion and their star CM Will hughes is out for 6 months at least so they'll need a replacement.

What a pathetic load of drivel based on an Aston Villa wind up over us chasing Ron Vaar last start to season. How can folk get sucked into responding to something that was obviously a wind up since it appeared on SKY

What a pathetic load of drivel based on an Aston Villa wind up over us chasing Ron Vaar last start to season. How can folk get sucked into responding to something that was obviously a wind up since it appeared on SKY

Yeah, ' cause Villa have nothing better to do than "wind up" the supporters and officials of another club.

Have a word with yourself .

While it's hard to disagree, this is exactly what the big clubs say and do, and they get constantly lambasted for it. The media is always on at Chelsea and Man City et al for not giving youngsters a chance, while praising Saints for doing it. The big clubs argument is that they play at a higher level, so need players with the proven ability to keep them there. We've always promised we'd give youngsters a chance no matter what. If we start to abandon that philosophy as we climb the league and grow as a club, it's not really 'the Southampton Way' at all, is it? It's just the same way as every other team that wants to secure a top 8/6/4 finish in the league.

While it's hard to disagree, this is exactly what the big clubs say and do, and they get constantly lambasted for it. The media is always on at Chelsea and Man City et al for not giving youngsters a chance, while praising Saints for doing it. The big clubs argument is that they play at a higher level, so need players with the proven ability to keep them there. We've always promised we'd give youngsters a chance no matter what. If we start to abandon that philosophy as we climb the league and grow as a club, it's not really 'the Southampton Way' at all, is it? It's just the same way as every other team that wants to secure a top 8/6/4 finish in the league.

We aren't abandoning it, if shaw, lallana and chambers didn't want to leave we would still have 3 academy players in the first team and no one would say anything if we loaned reed and the others out.

Also we are completely different to the big clubs we don't go out and buy loads of young English players from the lower leagues or academy age groups just to loan them out. Just because we are loaning some players out so they can play more doesn't mean we are abandoning the 'The Southampton Way'. Look at Harry Kane he was loaned out quite a few times you don't need to just be thrusted into the first team at a young age to make it as a player.

"We wanna make you an offer for Fonte"

"Fook off"

Talks?

So is

"We want Fonte"

"OK, one hundred million poundssssss"

"....."

Talks. Same sort of talks we have when i speak to the missus about a nice new fishing rod. Yes, we are in talks but its more like "Please", "no".

Not sure what your phrase "give youngsters a chance no matter what" is supposed to mean.

It's certainly not what the club says and you are making our youth system sound like a footballing Jim'll Fix It where young players get some guaranteed golden ticket to first team football regardless of ability.

What we do is over-invest in development of young players, and the really strong ones we play, we don't farm them off to Standard Leige.

The half-the-first-team thing is unlikely ever to happen while we are a top half Premier League club. But neither is Champions League qualification.

However, both aspirations provide our strategic direction of travel and inform the decisions we make. And promoting youth where we can will continue, as will not spunking pointless money on wages and fees ("just pay the asking fee in full!!") on any old Carlos Kickaball that knee jerk idiot fans demand us to sign in the name of "ambition".

We remain distinct from other top 8/6 clubs.

Edited by CB Fry

Personally I think the ones we loan we think probably aren't going to make it in the Premier League.

Beckham to Preston, Defoe to Bournemouth- I think the opposite of what you say to be nearer the mark. It's simply the gap between U21 and the Prem is huge and ambitious players want game time.

The academy system started in 1997, in the recent past Saints haven't had the need to send them on loan to Football League clubs. Between 2005 and 2012 Saints were themselves a Football League club. Bale, Walcott, Lallana, Oxlade-Chamberlain and others found it easier to break into our first team. In 2012/13 we were newly promoted to the Premier League and at the start of the season Fox was the left back, Shaw was able to quickly overtake him but he'd have found it a lot harder if Bertrand was at the club. The bar in 2015/16 is now extremely high for any teenager, but Koeman still gave debuts to 5 academy players last season and many of the under 21s often train with the first team.

Any Saints teenager now would have to be exceptional to make it as a regular in our first team which is packed with senior internationals. In the past when Saints were a League One, Championship & newly promoted Premier League team themselves, teenagers were more likely to break through early. As a top half Premier League club it may take some until 20 to 23 to be of the quality we need, so loans to Football League clubs for them to gain experience make more sense than in our recent past as a Football League club or soon after promotion back to the Premier League.

Edited by Matthew Le God