Buildings and Contents insurance

SO16_Saint

so we're going through a claim at the moment following our son knocking a tin of red paint down the stairs covering the walls and carpets.

It appears that we have extended Accidental Damage on the Contents, but not on Buildings.

It also appears that the damage caused to the INTERNAL walls of the house are covered under the Buildings insurance, and therefore NOT covered for accidental damage.

That sucks, and to me isn't right (although probably IS right in insurance terms).

The lady on the phone on Saturday at the insurance co said we had a valid claim (hence sending out a validator) - so even if their own staff don't know the policy terms, what hope do we the public have FFS.

Now, does anyone have any pearls of wisdom they can give me? I've looked at the Ombudsman site, and there appears to be scope for appealing.

eb6f56912fa1f3ab883d8acd1bef7041.jpg

p.s. I don't think you have any grounds for appeal unfortunately. The walls aren't "contents" of your house and therefore won't be covered by contents insurance. I suppose you could say to the insurance company: "please highlight the clause in the contract that explicitly excludes repair to damaged wall paint" and see what they come up with.

so we're going through a claim at the moment following our son knocking a tin of red paint down the stairs covering the walls and carpets.

It appears that we have extended Accidental Damage on the Contents, but not on Buildings.

It also appears that the damage caused to the INTERNAL walls of the house are covered under the Buildings insurance, and therefore NOT covered for accidental damage.

That sucks, and to me isn't right (although probably IS right in insurance terms).

The lady on the phone on Saturday at the insurance co said we had a valid claim (hence sending out a validator) - so even if their own staff don't know the policy terms, what hope do we the public have FFS.

Now, does anyone have any pearls of wisdom they can give me? I've looked at the Ombudsman site, and there appears to be scope for appealing.

The internal face of the walls are part of the building.

Would you regard the ceiling as part of your "contents" ?

If you were tip your house upside down, anything that fell out would be contents.....anything left, is buildings. The lady on the phone was correct though, you do have a valid claim. You can claim for everything apart from the paint damage to walls.

Like Trader said, I would just claim for the carpet and do the rest yourself. If the carpet is the same all the way from the hall, up the stairs, to the landing - they will replace the lot.

And read the small print next time !!! ;)

Or sell him for medical research.

Very tempting

Also, all of our premiums will go up a 0.00001% of a penny because some bright spark thought it was a good idea to let their kid walk around the house with a pot of red paint! ;)

Ha! Not 5 mins before I thought to myself "I should probably move that tin....just in case"

Does your kid not have personal liability insurance? You could make a claim under that for his personal negligence or alternatively just take him to court and sue the ass off him he must have a trust fund somewhere...

Small claims court sounds the way forward

You could also paint the walls red.

That was the plan for his room... An iron man themed room :(

Tell your friends it's a Jackson Pollock.

It's an original! Could increase the value of the house :)

Reminds me of when I painted my bedroom walls. Went to the toilet, and heard my then 2 year old shout 'I'll help you daddy'. Ran back into the bedroom, with an arsehole yet to be cleaned, to find her glossing the walls!

Think that there is far to much detail in that last post, put me right off my supper.

Or sell him for medical research.

An incidental piece of information, Informed consent forms are written so that a twelve year old can understand them unlike Insurance policies. So assuming he's older than twelve, he'll know what he's getting in to!

Nice painting, perhaps frame a small piece and leave it as a reminder.