United to bid for Mane?

SuperSAINT

Whilst it is no doubt run by his agent/representatives, his Facebook page has 3 posts about Man U within 2 hrs.

I think it safe to say that his agent is keen...

The only recent posts I see are on the visitors posts which are either where he is linked in news stories or are from fans who could post their own comments which as it's open to all users can include Man U fans. In other words even if it's run by his representatives there's nothing about United that they've put on there.

What form do you see this line in the sand taking? If the players are refused moves to clubs offering big wage increases and Champions League football then they will refuse to sign new contracts and their values will drop as they approach the end of their contract.

Why is it a bad thing to be a "stepping stone" club? What would you propose as an alternative? Les Reed has openly labelled Saints as a "showcase club", in terms of the best up and coming talent across European football Saints would be in a good position to give them a chance to impress in the world's most high profile league.

To respond further, beyond issuing firm rejections and standing by them, I'd suggest that we need to develop an effective strategy because this issue isn't going away. Something like these:

• If we are confident that the Black Box analysis really is that accurate, and that our coaching staff will improve the players we bring in, sign them to longer term deals and defer the point at which we need to start worrying. Sure, it won’t work out with some (to our cost), but could make a big difference with the real quality players (to our major benefit).
  • Think about trying something that’s quite common in North American sport – one or two option years which can be implemented, at the club’s discretion, at the end of the initial contract term.
  • Start buying more high-potential youngsters to fill the gaps in our academy - players that, with good coaching, could grow into credible first team replacements over the next 2-4 years. I'm a little concerned that our academy seems to be dropping off in terms of developing talent of first team calibre, but others on here would know better.

There's no panacea for the kind of situation that we, and others, constantly face, but we have to start somewhere. We need some tactical solutions.

Never stops the speculation though does it...that's down to the nature of yer average football follower. Only the end of the transfer window will put a stop to it.

No it doesn't. There is speculation about our players leaving and speculation about us going after other club's players. It happens all the time so why do we go into bed wetting mode when a club is linked with one of our players? The time to wet the bed is if and when a player leaves. EVen then it isn't the end of the world depending on who comes in as a replacement.

And Felaini, Lescott, Rodwell, Arteta and Gravesen.

Quite. We have been over the reason that certain players have left so I cant believe why it is still such an issue for some. The bottom line is the top clubs will be interested in our players as long as we have quality players to be interested in. Depending on individual circumstances we will either keep the player or sell him on. It is part and parcel of football and always has been. Everton are no different to us. Nor are Manchester United. It is just that the bigger the team the higher the stakes.

Guess at your soggy age, 11 years seems like yesterday.

It does indeed ;) but they have let other quality players leave more recently too, its just that Batman has a selective memory and is desperate to prove that we are the only club who sell their decent players.

Reacted rather angrily to this, don't you dare sell him Saints.

If Everton can do it so can we. Stick a £40m price on his head and that's it.

Difference is Saints are a selling club, if the board receive a bid they feel is acceptable then we will sell.

It's a shame that Koeman can't have the final say on the transfer.

The 'Let's get as much money as we can in' board will no doubt be getting sweaty fingers on any bid for 20m.

Well done on maintaining your high standard of idiocy.

Well done on maintaining your high standard of idiocy.

The truth is your becoming the biggest **** on this forum as you constantly add a picture to Alpine's comments (it's boring now)! and you spam other people's comments too.

You're a sad coward CB, very sad coward.

Saints do the same to other clubs. They may soon have Forster, Wanyama and van Dijk from Celtic in their squad.

I knew someone would come back with that comment and I have already constructed a reply which is: Of course, saints are as guilty as anyone but the question is have any of the players we have brought in signed for the reason that they want to play a part in saints success, I would say perhaps short term but long term no!, most if not all have signed for saints in the hope that they are noticed by the elite clubs. We are a stepping stone club just like all the others outside the 5 or 6 of the prem.

Until this rumour regarding Mane today I was still sort of philosophical regarding our player sales this summer but losing Mane will be a bridge to far, 4 of our best lost last season, possibly 4 of our best gone this season will be devastating for us, we cannot sustain these losses and unlike Celtic who will still win their league, we might have to look forward to a relegation battle.

Difference is Saints are a selling club, if the board receive a bid they feel is acceptable then we will sell.

As you well know, every single club on the planet is a selling club. They are also buying clubs. It is what happens. Players come and players go. Having said that they are not going to sell Mane I doubt if they will. But at some point they will sell Mane, and other players.

The truth is your becoming the biggest **** on this forum as you constantly add a picture to Alpine's comments (it's boring now)! and you spam other people's comments too.

You're a sad coward CB, very sad coward.

To be fair Pilchards, on this occasion you have rather painted a very large target on your back.

Id sell for £40mill if we had a replacement lined up. Not worth the hassle unless it's ridiculous money and £30mill isn't ridiculous money, especially considering we paid nearly 15mill for him. A 15mill profit is complete ******** for the damage it selling him would do to us

I thought we paid 11 million for him wouldn't 15million make him our biggest ever transfer?

Where have they said this?

From SSN

'MANE NOT FOR SALE'

More developments on Manchester United's interest in Sadio Mane and a Southampton official has told us the forward is not for sale.

The official told Sky Sports News HQ: “He is a key part of our team and our planning for the future. He wouldn't be sold.”

Quite. We have been over the reason that certain players have left so I cant believe why it is still such an issue for some. The bottom line is the top clubs will be interested in our players as long as we have quality players to be interested in. Depending on individual circumstances we will either keep the player or sell him on. It is part and parcel of football and always has been. Everton are no different to us. Nor are Manchester United. It is just that the bigger the team the higher the stakes.

This absolutely this. I've been supporting saints for 40 years plus and this has always been the case. The only difference is the way in which it happens - which to me is now just a little distasteful and shabby but hey who am I to judge.

Fly on the wall stuff...

Les - "We have a derisory bid from Man U for Mane, how should we respond"?

Ron - "How derisory?"

Les - "£25m"

Ron - "Tell Van Gaul to p*ss off..... no wait... give me that offer"

Les -

Ron -

Les - "So how do I respond?"

Ron - "We don't. F*ck him, let them stew!"

Going to bid and fighting off an actual bid are pretty different. Would have made for an interesting medical / insurance I guess.

Yes never believed it myself but even when Jrod was crocked he was constantly linked with moves away in the press. It would be interesting to know what sort of hit rate the press has with transfer news.

THREE posts on facebook by Sadio linking him to Utd. Keep quiet FFS

This is the second time someone has posted this. Care to share the link with me as I don't see these posts on his official facebook page - only posts from visitors to the page.

Here's the page i'm looking at for reference

https://www.facebook.com/sadiomane10?fref=ts

From SSN

'MANE NOT FOR SALE'

More developments on Manchester United's interest in Sadio Mane and a Southampton official has told us the forward is not for sale.

The official told Sky Sports News HQ: “He is a key part of our team and our planning for the future. He wouldn't be sold.”

He'll be gone next season then!

Contracts mean sweet f a.

Where Eagles Dare was filmed in this castle, on the A10 between Villach and Salzburg.

I know that's why I picked It. Classic movie still good even now:)

Fantastic film and one of my fave's. Matched in its brilliance by the Iron Maiden classic of the same name from the equally brilliant Piece of Mind LP.

Actually they mean United have to pay us a massive amount of money to take him off us. If he didn't have a contract he would be going there for free.

I would think the contract he's under now is probably the reason he will stay for another season.

Mane is really not worth the, say, £28m they'd need to pay to get him. I like him a lot but I think United would be bonkers to spend that kind of money on Mane after one season in the Prem and I think they won't.

Hoping it's a bit of a PR ruse on their part to muffle their own transfer failure today.

It would be interesting to know what sort of hit rate the press has with transfer news.

Very high indeed, if they are reporting that a move will go through. Most of the time they are reporting interest, bids, rejected bids or other steps along the way, which fans, for some reason, take as a prediction that a transfer will be completed.