The Post European Moan Thread

Suhari

As posted elsewhere...

That was the clearest sign yet we've regressed. We've lost three top class proven players and replaced them with cheap gambles. I guess our transfer committee got cocky that we could do it again. Feel sorry for he fans, they must feel mugged with that substandard ****e. Sort it the f**k out.

Schneiderlin is the best in the world at what he does, without question, been saying it in the face of all the Nemanja Matic love there seems to be. He's incredible. That, plus the loss of an able deputy in Cork, the undoubted quality of Alderweireld and Clyne has been to much to bear.

We only spent serious money last close season because of the outcry and the fact they literally had to. Then it worked and they lived off the visionaries reputation that was bestowed upon them. I'm looking at you, Les Reed and Co.

Midtjylland aren't a bad team but we should never, ever have been in this position in the first place. A total **** up and the cocky malaise of the board has led to this. Koeman as well, if his comments are anything to go by... but don't worry, Virgil van Dijk, who plays against Scotland's equivalents of Matt Paterson every week will sort it out.

We were unlucky not to score early on. I can't imagine we'd have transformed into world beaters had Fonte's header gone in, but it would have settled the nerves and perhaps allowed us to play a little more.

I am however puzzled by Koeman's comments that we would play direct if that's what it took. I don't see why our normal game wouldn't have worked, had we enjoyed the usual fluid movement, crisp passing and ability to move with the ball.

3) I am worried that our pre-season did not focus enough on fitness. The players looked unfit against Vitesse and I thought it was due to it still being pre-season. Since then we have deteriorated. Even the commentators referred to us as looking jaded. Strachan and Pochettino both gave the side a gruelling preseason and it paid dividends.

They started the season in July, are playing two games a week and you wanted them doing Tough Mudder to warm up? They do look jaded but if we're reaching for explanations, the shorter break and fixture congestion are surely more likely.

Sad thing is that of those three managers you name, Koeman has the most (only?) experience of managing European and domestic campaigns simultaneously.

Edited by DuncanRG

I don't see why our normal game wouldn't have worked, had we enjoyed the usual fluid movement, crisp passing and ability to move with the ball.

My guess would be that Ronald's witnessed in training that this current bunch of players just dont have the ability to play our "usual" game right now. I reckon he had no confidence in our ability to create chances and score, so opted to set the team up to at least try not to concede and hope for a flukey goal. Did the same at Watford. Does not bode well for the season ahead at all.

You're right, in a way. I imagine it's a lot harder to buck up your ideas and get some fire in your belly when the games are coming so quickly.

Yes , but maybe the more games that we are crap might mean someone will do something about it. I doubt it though.

My guess would be that Ronald's witnessed in training that this current bunch of players just dont have the ability to play our "usual" game right now. I reckon he had no confidence in our ability to create chances and score, so opted to set the team up to at least try not to concede and hope for a flukey goal. Did the same at Watford. Does not bode well for the season ahead at all.

Which has huge implications for the way the club is run.

Can our recruitment be SO off?!

Only thing that shocked me, is how everyone is so surprised!....I can't believe 99% of our fanbase have been so oblivious to what's been happening at the Club over the last 18 months....This was always going to happen when we have have an owner here by default with 'zero' experience in even running a tea shop, who then promotes 2 people into key positions way beyond their ability and then appoints a Chairman who.......well i don;t need to say anymore on that subject.

C'mon, was there really no one else that could see the approaching train wreck?....Did y'all think the momentum and belief at Club built up by Cortese, Adkins and Potchettino was going to last forever with this lot running the show? really?

It's only going to continue to get worse unless there's some drastic changes at the top and trust me, I take no pleasure in predicting the way things have gone...in fact for the first time in 45 years of watching Saints I've been numb this season...no emotion at all, zero...I guess that's down to having 18 months to prepare for the inevitable.

Only thing that shocked me, is how everyone is so surprised!....I can't believe 99% of our fanbase have been so oblivious to what's been happening at the Club over the last 18 months....This was always going to happen when we have have an owner here by default with 'zero' experience in even running a tea shop, who then promotes 2 people into key positions way beyond their ability and then appoints a Chairman who.......well i don;t need to say anymore on that subject.

C'mon, was there really no one else that could see the approaching train wreck?....Did y'all think the momentum and belief at Club built up by Cortese, Adkins and Potchettino was going to last forever with this lot running the show? really?

It's only going to continue to get worse unless there's some drastic changes at the top and trust me, I take no pleasure in predicting the way things have gone...in fact for the first time in 45 years of watching Saints I've been numb this season...no emotion at all, zero...I guess that's down to having 18 months to prepare for the inevitable.

This is where we need you mate, you saved us last season from the mire, so we need you to come to the fore now more than ever.

Can I just be clear in that there is no way we will be threatened with relegation. No chance.

Last awful result (of this nature!) was Sheff Utd and correct me if I'm wrong but we thrashed Everton 3-0 after that.

Norwich is a huge game for the season ahead. Win that and we have an international break (much needed!) and the close of the dumb transfer window. Then we have Bertrand and Clasie presumably fit which in this state will be like two huge 31st August signings. Keep the faith!

This is where we need you mate, you saved us last season from the mire, so we need you to come to the fore now more than ever.

Na...i'm beyond giving a **** now...maybe you could get off your ass and do something?...maybe even just stand a little clear of Les's urine running down your neck would be a start

02900d561d25727fb23966badb0b228c.jpg

Looking back at what some of the Dutch posters said on here about Koeman and Dutch football last year is interesting.

They said that Dutch football is more interested in technique over physical prowess, hence they struggle when faced with this.

They said RK has one tactic which is easily identified and then countered (Pelle as target man) and that he will have one good season, one mediocre one and one **** one.

And as other people have said here: when the pressure's on (whether that be RK or the team) we seem to lack the mental strength to impose ourselves and our way of playing on a game which probably explains why the beginning of last season was good: we were mentally focussed and had the right attitude.

Oh, and if a player isn't fully fit, you leave them to recover until they are.

The Southampton Way can bugger off if its planning on serving up that rubbish this season! Dire. Playing long ball clearly wasn't working and no changes to how we played were evident to me all game. JWP and Davis should never again be seen in the same team at the same time for me. 5 defenders when we HAD to score? Are you kidding me? ROKO has some serious questions to answer atm for me. Dodgey team selections so far this year and has turned us into a team of no distinct style or substance so far this year. What a let down after last season,.

• 2 months later...

I really pleased we are no longer in Europe as we are doing so well in the League and in the League Cup too

I know it is great that we qualified for the Europa Cup and to finish 7th or higher this season would be a fantastic achievement but getting back into the Europa League does not fill me with glee what do others think

I really pleased we are no longer in Europe as we are doing so well in the League and in the League Cup too

I know it is great that we qualified for the Europa Cup and to finish 7th or higher this season would be a fantastic achievement but getting back into the Europa League does not fill me with glee what do others think

Loved going to Herning this summer, more than happy to be back in Europe next season!

Loved going to Herning this summer, more than happy to be back in Europe next season!

Both herning and arnhem were cracking days out, i absolutely loved them. Just a shame that we didn't get any further in the competition and have a few more days like them.

The more European football the better for me, was gutted we didn't make the group stage. Considering our recent past I consider the Europa league something to savour.

I would stab my eyes out with a rusty nail covered in lemon juice if we became one of those teams who threw away Europe every year in order to concentrate on the league and qualify for Europe.

We are a LONG way away from being the likes of Spurs or Liverpool who would see the Europa League getting in the way of Champions League qualification aspirations (not to say the size of the squad to support such a strategy without completely ****ing off supporters).

If we had the team in August that we have now, I have no doubt we would have beat Midtjylland and made it into the group stage.

The squad was quite unsettled back then and Koeman was tinkering to try to figure out what would work. It was miles apart from the solid and stable line-up we have now.

Don't think being in Europe would have made a jot of difference to our League and LC form since. Losing in the Qualifiers was just stupid and unnecessary.

Don't think being in Europe would have made a jot of difference to our League and LC form since. Losing in the Qualifiers was just stupid and unnecessary.

koeman said a few times it did

he said we were struggling with the lack of preperation AND almost no recovery time

Couldn't disagree with you more. Although I'm prepared to try.

Your hopelessly wrong.

Did you go to either away game in the EL?

It still annoys me that he even attempted those tactics in Denmark. Even with the limited squad I think that if we'd have played 4 at the back and tried to play football then we'd have been too good for them.

It was just so odd. I mean, we had a front two of Pelle and Rodriguez, and a supply line of Martina and Targett (as attacking wing backs), Davis, JWP and Romeu.

Utterly ridiculous and I still have this nagging suspicion Koeman threw the competition but wanted to maintain the party line of 'we want to do well in it'.

I would stab my eyes out with a rusty nail covered in lemon juice if we became one of those teams who threw away Europe every year in order to concentrate on the league and qualify for Europe.

We are a LONG way away from being the likes of Spurs or Liverpool who would see the Europa League getting in the way of Champions League qualification aspirations (not to say the size of the squad to support such a strategy without completely ****ing off supporters).

Martin O'Neil did it with Aston Villa a few years back which still feels like the most ridiculous stupidity and like you I would be fuming if we did it.

I think they were in the quarter finals of the Europa and chucked it away with an under-strength side for the off chance of getting into the qualification round of the Champions League. Obviously they didn't do that. But fair play, they never looked back after that.....

Martin O'Neil did it with Aston Villa a few years back which still feels like the most ridiculous stupidity and like you I would be fuming if we did it.

I think they were in the quarter finals of the Europa and chucked it away with an under-strength side for the off chance of getting into the qualification round of the Champions League. Obviously they didn't do that. But fair play, they never looked back after that.....

Fairly sure Gary Megson at Bolton played their reserves in the EL in an attempt to stay in the Prem as well.

2007/8 in the last 16, 1-0 down to Sporting in the first leg. Megson in charge (took over from Sammy Lee)...

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/season=2008/matches/round=15121/match=301957/index.html

A Al Habsi, N Hunt, G Cahill, A Meite, J Samuel, J O'Brien, D Guthrie, A Teymourian (D Braaten, 71), S Giannakopoulos, R Vaz Te, H Helguson (N Woolfe, 76)

Subs not used: R Sissons, I Walker, Z Harsanyi, S Jamieson, J Sinclair

Following league game (away to Wigan, lost 1-0), players who played in both games in bold.

A Al Habsi, G Steinsson, A O'Brien, G Cahill (G McCann, 69), R Gardner, K Nolan, I Campo, T Cohen (G Rasiak, 42), E Diouf (J O'Brien, 46), K Davies, M Taylor

Subs not used: A Meite, I Walker

10 outfield changes, and only 1 outfield player even in both squads.

They stayed up by a point. Finished 26 points ahead of Derby though. :D

And, although I don't understand all the complicated numbers stuff, we would have a better coefficient this time, and maybe avoid teams that drop out of the CL in the early rounds.

The9 can probably do the maths but I doubt our coefficient would be much better than this year - we lost to a lower seeded team so technically proved to "worse" than our initial coefficient suggested.

Unless we get an improved score based on the fact we qualify from England twice in a row, of course.

The9 can probably do the maths but I doubt our coefficient would be much better than this year - we lost to a lower seeded team so technically proved to "worse" than our initial coefficient suggested.

Unless we get an improved score based on the fact we qualify from England twice in a row, of course.

I think it's a bit like modern GCSE's, you get marks just for turning up. So yes, AFAIK our coefficient will be higher for having taken part last year, and for winning. I think the marks last for 5 years from memory.

But we were one of the seeded teams in both draws. It was just our bad luck to get one of the highest-ranked non-seeded teams and play like sh it against them.

Perhaps the match was arranged before the draw, although I couldn't envisage an honourable outfit such as UEFA behaving like that.

Our European campaign was a resounding success.

Why?

1. Because the fact that we were to be in the competition gave us international kudos and made us a more attractive club for talented players to come to. And may have been a factor in our successful team rebuilding.

2. We may have got knocked out quickly, most likely because the new team had not gelled together, but it did give everyone valuable experience to build on, concentrating on English Prem and Cup games. And we now have good team spirit and a strong, still developing squad and first team.

So thanks, Europe. No moans.

Who we played or lost to doesn't matter, only the round we reached, and the performance of the other clubs from England in Europe.

Our coefficient next season may well be lower, unless the CL teams and EL teams do very well. England's national coefficient is dropping anyway due to Man U and Chelsea's final appearances drifting off into the sunset (and England's score was 100% of our score last time), it's around 14 compared to around 16 at the moment, and we've only added 1.5 points of our own.

I don't need to do the maths, some other idiot is doing it, but bear in mind this doesn't include England's 2015/16 points total as that won't be determined until the last English team is out of Europe: http://www.footballseeding.com/club-ranking/a2016-2017/

Scoring is explained here: http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/index.html :

Coefficient calculation

Clubs' coefficients are determined by the sum of all points won in the previous five years (1.5 for Saints), plus 20% of the association coefficient over the same period.

UEFA Champions League points system

First qualifying round elimination – 0.5 points

Second qualifying round elimination – 1 point

Group stage participation – 4 points

Group stage win – 2 points

Group stage draw – 1 point

Round of 16 participation – 4 points

UEFA Europa League points system

First qualifying round elimination – 0.25 points

Second qualifying round elimination – 0.5 points

Third qualifying round elimination – 1 point

Play-off elimination – 1.5 points

Group stage win – 2 points

Group stage draw – 1 point

Since 2009/10, clubs have been guaranteed a minimum of two points if they reach the group stage and are awarded an additional point if they get to the quarter-finals, semi-finals or final

We've missed out on a shedload of points not making the Group stage though, 6 matches, potentially 12 more points for 6 wins, plus 1 per round after that.

Basically we had 16.085 last year. That was 16.085 England coefficient and 0.000 Saints coefficient.

We have 1.5 points of our own this year from the EL Play-Off elimination.

The base England score is, from 2011/12 onwards:

3.050 + 3.285 + 3.357 + 2.714 (total 12.406) + whatever the England score is for this season; currently this season it is = 1.050 but every win by an English side in CL and EL adds to the total accumulated (see previous message), which is then divided by 8 (no. of English teams in Europe) to give the annual figure.

So we start on 12.406 for English clubs' previous seasons, plus our 1.500 this season, giving 13.9 so far.

We therefore need the English teams to rack up another 2.186 points to improve our coefficient from last season's 16.085.

To get that 2.185 more points, as there are 8 English teams playing in Europe this season they'll need to get 2.185x8=17.48 more points in total across all teams, of which 1.050 have been gained, leaving another 16.43 to get from all other results. That can be done by the method below:

(National Club Coefficient) Points system

1. Each team gets two points for a win and one point for a draw (points are halved for matches in the qualifying and play-off rounds).

2. Clubs that reach the round of 16, quarter-finals, semi-finals or final of the UEFA Champions League, or the quarter-finals, semi-finals or final of the UEFA Europa League, are awarded an extra point for each round.

3. In addition, four points are awarded for participation in the group stage of the UEFA Champions League (these are already in the 1.050 gained though) and four points for qualifying for the round of 16.

For info: the total national coefficient scores since 2011/12 have been:

15.250 16.428 16.785 13.571

giving a 4 year total of 62.034.[/i]

Edited by The9

Basically we had 16.085 last year. That was 16.085 England coefficient and 0.000 Saints coefficient.

We have 1.5 points of our own this year from the EL Play-Off elimination.

The base England score is, from 2011/12 onwards:

3.050 + 3.285 + 3.357 + 2.714 (total 12.406) + whatever the England score is for this season; currently this season it is = 1.050 but every win by an English side in CL and EL adds to the total accumulated (see previous message), which is then divided by 8 (no. of English teams in Europe) to give the annual figure.

So we start on 12.406 for English clubs' previous seasons, plus our 1.500 this season, giving 13.9 so far.

We therefore need the English teams to rack up another 2.186 points to improve our coefficient from last season's 16.085.

To get that 2.185 more points, as there are 8 English teams playing in Europe this season they'll need to get 2.185x8=17.48 more points in total across all teams, of which 1.050 have been gained, leaving another 16.43 to get from all other results. That can be done by the method below:

(National Club Coefficient) Points system

1. Each team gets two points for a win and one point for a draw (points are halved for matches in the qualifying and play-off rounds).

2. Clubs that reach the round of 16, quarter-finals, semi-finals or final of the UEFA Champions League, or the quarter-finals, semi-finals or final of the UEFA Europa League, are awarded an extra point for each round.

3. In addition, four points are awarded for participation in the group stage of the UEFA Champions League (these are already in the 1.050 gained though) and four points for qualifying for the round of 16.

For info: the total national coefficient scores since 2011/12 have been:

15.250 16.428 16.785 13.571

giving a 4 year total of 62.034.[/i]

None of which is really relevant though until we qualify and know who else is in there with us. It's the ranking that would determine the seeding, we could increase our coefficient but unluckily find more teams with higher scores than us qualify as well that time round, or conversely we could climb the rankings with a lower coefficient depending on other qualifiers.

• 1 month later...