Adam Blackmore on twitter

Yorkshire Saint

Link? Not everyone uses ***tter

basically saying, dont panic yet

Vics agent trying to get him out of the club

will vic be able to look the team in the eye if he is still a saint tuesday eve

the club really have to invest in 2 or 3 top quality players if they want to back up their rhetoric of european place challengers every year

the club really have to invest in 2 or 3 top quality players if they want to back up their rhetoric of european place challengers every year

He's right, 3 players needed.

Excuse the rant.....and please allow me to finish....but the over-reaction by some following #saintsfc exit from Europe leads me to say it is way too early for the panic button to be pressed & fingers to be pointed at figures in the club for perceived failings. Have people forgotten the result of last year's meltdown? Best #EPL finish ever? Is this a club in crisis now before Sept ?!? Come on. Yes, performances at #saintsfc and results have been below the high standards of last 2 years but you cannot build quickly every year? At some point the policy of taking big money for key players is going to affect the quality of #saintsfc squad but it is early still and maybe a period of re-adjustment & some more investment is needed but it's too early to say the people that have got so much right are suddenly bad at what they do - like RK, Les Reed, & players - over time the club has grown steadily & whilst fans can rightly claim that money spent has not been matched by money brought in, it is too early to write off ability of key people because of a few results. There is no way #saintsfc could foresee the trouble caused by Man Utd over Mané & seemingly by Wanyama & his agent. That is unsettling he squad with players asking questions I'm sure, & #saintsfc as a club needs to hold it's nerve up until Tuesday 6pm & stick together. If Wanyama & his agent are constructively working to get him out of #saintsfc then I hope he can look his teammates in the eye if he remains at St Mary's after Sept 1st. If not then fans I spoke to last night would rather take the cash & move on. There is no doubt that at some stage the club need to invest in two or three high quality signings if they're to back up their rhetoric of wanting to stay at the right end of PL table & consistently compete for Europe, as they want . So I get fans who are worried now after a poor start but I think it's way too early for judgement & some journalists adding their ill-informed thoughts to keep poking at the wounded animal is not helping but division between key club staff is not something i think is true & fans should rally round - as they already do. End.

Its fair enough. I'm not sure the Mane and Wanyama situations would have exactly been a huge shock to the club seeing as they would both attract admirers and we surely have known for a while that Wanyama wasn't going to sign a new deal so logical he may consider moving on.

But the basis is fair enough. We need to wait til the end of the window and see what happens when we have a more settled squad, but barring unforeseen transfer activity it will be a fact that over the last two summers combined we have brought more money in than we have spent on transfers. That alone is fine, it makes sense.

Its the backdrop of the huge TV deal which makes it a slight frustration, because essentially the club must be wealthier now than it ever has been. If we have been under no financial need to sell then why not reinvest all the money?

But those aren't questions for Koeman, and probably not even for Reed.

Shame the club won't be investing in 2 or 3 top quality players.

Shame the club won't be investing in 2 or 3 top quality players.

They might. I do believe the club won't sell anyone unless they think they can continue the policy of 'sell high, buy low'. But what if Spurs offer £30M on deadline day for Victor and they know they can get a.n.other at £8M to replace him, they may yet be tempted.

And yet, I still believe the exit door is superglued.

They might. I do believe the club won't sell anyone unless they think they can continue the policy of 'sell high, buy low'. But what if Spurs offer £30M on deadline day for Victor and they know they can get a.n.other at £8M to replace him, they may yet be tempted.

And yet, I still believe the exit door is superglued.

We're not going to get an offer of £30 million for Wanyama from that tight-fisted git Levy. They have spunked all the money they got from Bale on dross and are back to being cheap-skates when it comes to offers for PL players from lower down clubs.

We're not going to get an offer of £30 million for Wanyama from that tight-fisted git Levy. They have spunked all the money they got from Bale on dross and are back to being cheap-skates when it comes to offers for PL players from lower down clubs.

exactly, hence their £20M+ bid for berahino and the recent signing of a £20M+ striker

deffo cheap skates

exactly, hence their £20M+ bid for berahino and the recent signing of a £20M+ striker

deffo cheap skates

Also in a long period of stage payments. WBA look like they were insulted and angry that the player was unsettled as it appears his agent had already done the business.

Presumably Victor's agent is the same agent that demanded a £1m payment for himself when Saints walked away and Cardiff nibbled but didn't bite. The club need to tell him to **** off and tell Victor he is here until next May so get with the program.

Edited by derry

Excuse the rant.....and please allow me to finish....but the over-reaction by some following #saintsfc exit from Europe leads me to say it is way too early for the panic button to be pressed & fingers to be pointed at figures in the club for perceived failings. Have people forgotten the result of last year's meltdown? Best #EPL finish ever? Is this a club in crisis now before Sept ?!? Come on. Yes, performances at #saintsfc and results have been below the high standards of last 2 years but you cannot build quickly every year? At some point the policy of taking big money for key players is going to affect the quality of #saintsfc squad but it is early still and maybe a period of re-adjustment & some more investment is needed but it's too early to say the people that have got so much right are suddenly bad at what they do - like RK, Les Reed, & players - over time the club has grown steadily & whilst fans can rightly claim that money spent has not been matched by money brought in, it is too early to write off ability of key people because of a few results. There is no way #saintsfc could foresee the trouble caused by Man Utd over Mané & seemingly by Wanyama & his agent. That is unsettling he squad with players asking questions I'm sure, & #saintsfc as a club needs to hold it's nerve up until Tuesday 6pm & stick together. If Wanyama & his agent are constructively working to get him out of #saintsfc then I hope he can look his teammates in the eye if he remains at St Mary's after Sept 1st. If not then fans I spoke to last night would rather take the cash & move on. There is no doubt that at some stage the club need to invest in two or three high quality signings if they're to back up their rhetoric of wanting to stay at the right end of PL table & consistently compete for Europe, as they want . So I get fans who are worried now after a poor start but I think it's way too early for judgement & some journalists adding their ill-informed thoughts to keep poking at the wounded animal is not helping but division between key club staff is not something i think is true & fans should rally round - as they already do. End.

Sorry, can't read this without paragraphs, getting a migraine.

Its fair enough. I'm not sure the Mane and Wanyama situations would have exactly been a huge shock to the club seeing as they would both attract admirers and we surely have known for a while that Wanyama wasn't going to sign a new deal so logical he may consider moving on.

But the basis is fair enough. We need to wait til the end of the window and see what happens when we have a more settled squad, but barring unforeseen transfer activity it will be a fact that over the last two summers combined we have brought more money in than we have spent on transfers. That alone is fine, it makes sense.

Its the backdrop of the huge TV deal which makes it a slight frustration, because essentially the club must be wealthier now than it ever has been. If we have been under no financial need to sell then why not reinvest all the money?

But those aren't questions for Koeman, and probably not even for Reed.

To play devil's advocate a second... some of us remember the vocal majority calling a certain R Lowe all sorts of things for assuming we had done that - selling assets and not reinvesting the cash from players sales... when in the prem, in effect suggesting it was this lack of investment back in 2003/4 following the 8th place finish that led to our relegation 24 months later. Can someone far more enlightened, educated, visionary, whatever than me please explain how the current situation is any different, and why we don't have the screaming hoards demanding RK(ueger) and KL ''spend some f***ing money'' as we had back then?

I am happy for the club to be self sustaining, and that annual revenues should covers wages, overheads and operating costs, with player sales cash being used for new players - If we are selling players and to balance books, that is NOT self sustaining, and given the current levels of prem TV revenue, if its costing more than 100 mil a year to run the club and pay wages, then someone is seriously fecking things up.

Why no 'Duck off'? Or does that only apply to posh people?

To play devil's advocate a second... some of us remember the vocal majority calling a certain R Lowe all sorts of things for assuming we had done that - selling assets and not reinvesting the cash from players sales... when in the prem, in effect suggesting it was this lack of investment back in 2003/4 following the 8th place finish that led to our relegation 24 months later. Can someone far more enlightened, educated, visionary, whatever than me please explain how the current situation is any different, and why we don't have the screaming hoards demanding RK(ueger) and KL ''spend some f***ing money'' as we had back then?

I am happy for the club to be self sustaining, and that annual revenues should covers wages, overheads and operating costs, with player sales cash being used for new players - If we are selling players and to balance books, that is NOT self sustaining, and given the current levels of prem TV revenue, if its costing more than 100 mil a year to run the club and pay wages, then someone is seriously fecking things up.

I have posted this. Rupert was wrong, as our relegation and administration proved, and the current board seem to be following in his footsteps hoping for a different outcome.

To be fair to Rupert, he didn't have the TV revenue and a billionaire owner to fall back on. But he was an arrogant tool and a crap businessman.

I am as hysterical as the next man at the moment. The signs don't look good, but the board do have a few days to put it right.

Lowe came into the club with hardly any money, got rich from our club. He ruined Stoneham, picked loads of terrible managers over long period and didn't put in a penny. The liebbhrs saved the club from going bust, got us promoted from league 1 to 7th in premier league and have invested a lot of money. Lowe also took us into administration. Quite simple.

Lowe came into the club with hardly any money, got rich from our club. He ruined Stoneham, picked loads of terrible managers over long period and didn't put in a penny. The liebbhrs saved the club from going bust, got us promoted from league 1 to 7th in premier league and have invested a lot of money. Lowe also took us into administration. Quite simple.

We were a stable self sustaining prem club for several years under his watch and whatever feck ups happened with Stoneham, we still moved to a new stadium under his watch... far form perfect, sure he was arrogant, but who cares... ML put in 30 mil - that was eventually converted to equity an investment that is now worth 100mil+ the more recent cash injections have been loans as far as I can tell, although no idea if they have been paid back or still remain as 'debts' so be careful when talking of 'putting in pennies' - Rupes never promised he was bringing any monies... again devils advocate, how is the current situation on a purely sporting/operational level, any different from back then? Especially given that by being a PLC the accounts were full published and it was clear the club was breaking even - in effect monies from sales were reinvested in higher wages and new players, albeit bloated journeymen...?

Yes we MUST be grateful to Markus for all he did for the club, and yes we must be grateful to KL for her continued support of her fathers investment...BUT if we continue to follow this model of sales without similar quality or better coming back in, then we cant complain if we go down... its happened before to us and others. On a purely business/sporting perspective, forgetting the personalities involved... not sure we are in a good place right now.

Stoneham would have been absolutely fu cking sh it so it always makes me laugh when people still grizzle about it not happening.

How great we could have been in a 25,000 out of town stadium just off a motorway junction. Oh, the humanity.

Its not an over reaction. Fans are upset that all the good work of last season is now all for nothing.

I don t care if we finish 8th or 14th in the league as it ultimately gives us **** all.

7th last season on the other hand at least gave us the opportunity to qualify for Europe, the opportunity to be on the World map, be respected and increase our brand name. I live in France and the majority of people here have no idea that even a football club in Southampton exists!

If we want to make strides and eventually challenge the bigger teams this is how we can do it by increasing commercial revenue and increasing our fan base.

To give that away just like that with no fight or passion shown whatsoever during the match does my head in.

And Koeman blaming the result on referees over both legs and not on the way they approached the games is criminal.

I don't give a flying **** about what we do on sunday as its a way less important than yesterday s.

Its gonna take me a while to digest this defeat and i'm sure others feel the same.

Some are asking the question already about not enough being spent on quality players this season, no doubt if this season continues as it has started the voices will get louder.

Seeing that the current owners saved the club from oblivion primarily caused by Lowe, it is reasonable to expect a reluctance to voice disapproval after a handful of games, but if it continues they will for sure.

Utter tosh. Strachan, Jones, Souness, Hoddle were not bad managers. And where do you get that he made a fortune out of the club?

Just like The Rose Bowl!!

Nothing says "the true spirit of football" like pining over the impossible dream of having a stadium on an out of town trading estate. There could have been a Frankie and Benny's and everything. Oh I wish we could be like Reading, I wish we could be like Reading.

Exactly, and it continues to grow like Stoneman would of.

This Cyber Bully FRY seems to think he knows everything these days. I personally think the fella is losing it slowly with old age.

I disagree with him a lot but he's right here, St Marys is in a fantastic location, i'd hate an out of town stadium.

It might seem counter-intuitive but one of the problems with the Stoneham site was that it was right on a motorway junction and would have caused big problems at the end of games. St Mary's is fine and it only needs the rest of the area to receive several billions in investment to transform that part of the city, which I doubt that I shall live to see. The club could have had the Pirelli site in Eastleigh if they had waited but I expect there would have been some local opposition, there always is.

Exactly, and it continues to grow like Stoneman would of.

This Cyber Bully FRY seems to think he knows everything these days. I personally think the fella is losing it slowly with old age.

Disagree. I know there are arguments for out of town football stadia but to me they symbolise much of what has gone awry with modern football which is becoming ever more divorced from it's roots.

Disagree. I know there are arguments for out of town football stadia but to me they symbolise much of what has gone awry with modern football which is becoming ever more divorced from it's roots.

Me too. I have a nostalgic affection for the older grounds that nestle amongst rows of terraced houses.

It might seem counter-intuitive but one of the problems with the Stoneham site was that it was right on a motorway junction and would have caused big problems at the end of games. St Mary's is fine and it only needs the rest of the area to receive several billions in investment to transform that part of the city, which I doubt that I shall live to see. The club could have had the Pirelli site in Eastleigh if they had waited but I expect there would have been some local opposition, there always is.

St Mary's could have been a catalyst for regeneration, as redevelopment of WHL will be for Seven Sisters Rd though on a lesser scale. It was a missed opportunity. It will happen at some point but it needs foresight, political will and yes a lot of money to improve the infrastructure, especially connectivity.

Utter tosh. Strachan, Jones, Souness, Hoddle were not bad managers. And where do you get that he made a fortune out of the club?

Nice to see that you are still earning loyalty points from defending the person who did more to wreck the club than any other single individual.

Roger didn't say that all of his managerial signings were crap, but although two of your list were pretty good and the other two not bad, nevertheless Lowe didn't manage to keep them any longer than his other appointments, did he?

As for your second point, Lowe made the ultimate sacrifice for the club by coming here, giving up the millions he was making out of his dealings in the City and leaving his ultra-successful retirement home business. Pardon the sarcasm. What I really meant to convey, is that he benefited massively from being one of the highest paid chief executives in English football, was awarded large shareholdings and no doubt that could well constitute the claim that he was making a fortune out of the club. Until we went into administration that is. Then thankfully the shareholdings of all the board became worthless, and nobody was more deserving of losing all that loot than Rupert Lowe, closely followed by Askham.

The club could have had the Pirelli site in Eastleigh if they had waited but I expect there would have been some local opposition, there always is.

Trouble with that Whitey is, not only would it have been out-of-town it would have been in another town!

Stoneham would have been a traffic nightmare and, politically, never have happened. Give me St Mary's every time.

Trouble with that Whitey is, not only would it have been out-of-town it would have been in another town!

Stoneham would have been a traffic nightmare and, politically, never have happened. Give me St Mary's every time.

Yes, that would have been a problem and one of the concerns in Eastleigh has always been to maintain a separate identity from Southampton and to vigorously maintain the physical separation of the two with some semblance of countryside or green space. The fear was that once one block of this space was filled with developments then the rest would be filled in very quickly. Let's not forget that it wouldn't have been just a stadium, the proposals included a host of retail and leisure facilities. At that time I had regular contacts with Eastleigh Borough Council and we often talked about these proposals.

The good thing about Stoneham in my mind would have been its symbolic presence right next to the M27 so millions of cars and passengers would pass it every year and it would have advertised Saints to all and sundry.

As mentioned in an earlier post perhaps the best location would have been on the Pirelli site (now West Quay) which was mooted in the 70's

However both Stoneham and West Quay only had plans for 25,000 capacity

Whatever we all think of the Lowe era it was during this period (and with the help of the local Labour Council and two MP's - and I am not making a political pitch here) the new stadium was delivered

Without this we could still be at the Dell, possibly languishing in the lower leagues like our friends down the road

The good thing about Stoneham in my mind would have been its symbolic presence right next to the M27 so millions of cars and passengers would pass it every year and it would have advertised Saints to all and sundry.

As mentioned in an earlier post perhaps the best location would have been on the Pirelli site (now West Quay) which was mooted in the 70's

However both Stoneham and West Quay only had plans for 25,000 capacity

Whatever we all think of the Lowe era it was during this period (and with the help of the local Labour Council and two MP's - and I am not making a political pitch here) the new stadium was delivered

Without this we could still be at the Dell, possibly languishing in the lower leagues like our friends down the road

The Southampton Pirelli site was ruled out because it is reclaimed land. I don't know the significance of this, maybe it would have made a large structure expensive because of the need for extensive foundations. That area is low-rise at the moment and a West Quay is closer to the original land. I never did find out why.

St Marys is the perfect location for the club

in the heart of the city in the very area the club was formed ffs

built at 32k capacity with the possibility of expanding if required to around 45k

perfect in every way

So perfect, that you never go.

He's calm, considered and honest. His questions when interviewing Koeman and players after games always seem to be relevant. I liked his little dig at 'ill-informed journalists'.

The 'ill-informed' jounalists were spot on last season. Seems to me journalists are labelled 'ill-informed' if they are the bearers of bad news.

The 'ill-informed' jounalists were spot on last season. Seems to me journalists are labelled 'ill-informed' if they are the bearers of bad news.

I'm not sure which journalists you're talking about, but I don't remember anyone predicting we'd have our best ever Premier League season and qualify for Europe.

Blackmore had some bad news too, regarding Mane and Wanyama.