Injury Watch

Roger

Pardon my cynicism, interesting to note that Nathan Dyer is out for the season with an Achilles injury after a tangle with Danny Drinkwater. VVD is out after being kicked on the ankle by Vardy. Is this their new approach now shirt pulling and pushing opponents has been tightened up? Not working in game time so far, but certainly affecting opponents, including us. The seemingly innocent niggle has always been an important coaching tool. Just an observation, but any stats could be interesting..

What's up with him this time?

That's kind of him to make himself available for the Wembley gig.

Cynical sniping at a good player is rather puerile. Injuries aren't self-inflicted and players don't deliberately slow down their recovery. To imply otherwise is rather silly. Boufal took more than one heavy knock during the West Ham game and because of injury, had to be subbed about half way through the second half. Technically gifted players like him are prone to being kicked by opponents who can't handle them and some become frustrated in trying. George Best suffered the same problems over being kicked off the pitch at times but people had more sense than to blame him for being too good a player. And, Yes. I did see George Best play - against Saints.

A mate of mine is convinced VVD will be fit for the final. I have no reason to believe him but what a boost that would be.

Unless I've missed it the club have never revealed the full details of his injury, we've seen pics of his foot in a support but nothing specific. Does anyone know if he has gone with the squad to Spain? Nearly 5 weeks since the Leicester game and it's been very quiet since.

I'd suggest he is more likely to remain out for a while based on our signing of Caceres but you never know!

Old man said it's funny, we've had no pictures from the training camp in Spain

Hiding something?

Apparently no reporters are allowed in as well. I thought VvD has achilles damage as that is where the Rat Faced boy stamped, don't think it's snapped or torn as it would be a year out but how long is someone out with a strain..?

Like many others, I do feel that this is all a little hush hush. Must be the most under reported injuries to such an important player for us that I can ever remember. And the training camp - you might have thought that the club would have liked to have been pushing out how well Caceres is fitting in. But nothing. One might hope that it is all a ploy and Virgil is going to be fit, but.....

Apparently no reporters are allowed in as well. I thought VvD has achilles damage as that is where the Rat Faced boy stamped, don't think it's snapped or torn as it would be a year out but how long is someone out with a strain..?

Could be badly bruised and 2 months out would be about right.

I can't remember the last time a player of ours came back early from a major injury. We always seem to have Arsenalitis, where '2 months' means nearer 5 or 6

As much as I'd love us to be trolling Utd over VVD, I simply don't believe it

I would rather we didnt rush players back from injuries. If injuries havent healed properly, the chance of getting injured again (and the effect would be far worse) increases significantly. If we take for instance a torn ACL, regardless if you are a PL footballer or a Sunday League player, a torn ACL means a year on the sidelines.

Arjen Robben is a good example of what can go wrong after rushing back from injury. Just before the 2010 WC Robben was injured. He went to see this Dutch physiotherapist who miraculously got him match fit for the finals (by stretching him senselessy). The result after the WC was that he lost the first half of the season through injury due to rushing back to soon.

I would rather we didnt rush players back from injuries. If injuries havent healed properly, the chance of getting injured again (and the effect would be far worse) increases significantly. If we take for instance a torn ACL, regardless if you are a PL footballer or a Sunday League player, a torn ACL means a year on the sidelines.

Arjen Robben is a good example of what can go wrong after rushing back from injury. Just before the 2010 WC Robben was injured. He went to see this Dutch physiotherapist who miraculously got him match fit for the finals (by stretching him senselessy). The result after the WC was that he lost the first half of the season through injury due to rushing back to soon.

Not worth rushing VVD back for the League Cup final. We have a fair few premier league games to play and he will be needed for the latter part of the season.

Is there any hope that VVD or Austin will be back this season?

Be surprised to be honest. On Saints twitter feed on Saturday there's a picture of the squad in their cup final suits (https://t.co/0vQCcpOKq5). If you look closely VVD isn't wearing a shoe on his left foot which would suggest that either it's heavily bandaged and the shoe won't fit or it's still to swollen (or both). :(

Be surprised to be honest. On Saints twitter feed on Saturday there's a picture of the squad in their cup final suits (https://t.co/0vQCcpOKq5). If you look closely VVD isn't wearing a shoe on his left foot which would suggest that either it's heavily bandaged and the shoe won't fit or it's still to swollen (or both). :(

He was still limping about on crutches on Sunday.

I see Hesketh is back for the U23s

He was back in the last game against Everton.

Seems those who think Caceres needs a game or two for the u23s before he plays will be disappointed. Suspect he will debut at Watford. Don't think he would have been on the bench at Wembley if he was not physically ready and preferred to Gardos.

Austin scheduled to return early April according to someone I spoke to who works at club. Not sure about vvd but I'll be surprised if we see him again this season.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Did Virgil do his ankle ligaments? Did we ever get a diagnosis?

Because others have suffered similar and never been the same?

Let's hope not, shall we. We might need an extra £50 or £60bn soon ;)

Not sure how anyone can say someone has suffered similar given we don't even know what it is he's done!