Credit to Matt Le Tiss...and Stephen Fry Norwich fan!!

9-3

It took them about 3/4 of hour to get from car park to entrance.

Stephen Fry had time for everyone, MLT was brilliant.

They both signed autographs and had pictures taken with everyone who asked, no trouble at all.

Lawrie Mac lifted a young boy up to have his picture taken. His Dad was so proud.

A big credit to you all.

Makes you proud to be a Saints fan.

Second Oldest Club in Football? Cambridge University AFC.

Think Whelk's 'stereotype' is more to do with Fry's sexuality, and well done to Whelk for being open about it and having his perceptions changed! Gosh, Gays like football too! Who'da'fortit?! Girls will be playing it next, or something.

Edit... ...not now CUFC, my bad!

Edited by Polaroid Saint

It took them about 3/4 of hour to get from car park to entrance.

Stephen Fry had time for everyone, MLT was brilliant.

They both signed autographs and had pictures taken with everyone who asked, no trouble at all.

Lawrie Mac lifted a young boy up to have his picture taken. His Dad was so proud.

A big credit to you all.

Makes you proud to be a Saints fan.

Fair play to both of them. MLT is an absolutely top bloke, as his appearance at the home of one of my wife's friends in Ringwood proved beyond any doubt in my mind. She had doorstepped him at his house, explained it was her sons 18th birthday, and could he drop by and visit. And he did. Made the nippers day, I couldn't believe it.

Not the fact that he is a comedian but gay Cambridge educated public school boy luvvie is not a normal football supporter..

I presume this is ironic (and/or intended to provoke a reaction).

lol, no homosexual men play professional football [allegedly)

I was not going to say gay and then thought no and predictable responses I see.

The fact that I mention he is gay provokes a reaction? And naturally the self righteous presume it must be prejudice?

There are stereotypes of football fans and it is probably more homophobic than other groups although making good progress as reflected generally in society.

And of course you see loads of Neanderthal thugs going to musicals - good old non prejudiced me won't dare make assumptions to the contrary.

Oh behave you lot. I think Whelk was simply intimating that his profile is not your "typical" football fan - and that's a fact you can't contest. Jesus, nice to see the over-the-top PC brigade going strong. On a slightly unrelated note, he handed me my graduation from UEA (Norwich), so I assume there is some long-term link to the city there.

I was not going to say gay and then thought no and predictable responses I see.

The fact that I mention he is gay provokes a reaction? And naturally the self righteous presume it must be prejudice?

There are stereotypes of football fans and it is probably more homophobic than other groups although making good progress as reflected generally in society.

And of course you see loads of Neanderthal thugs going to musicals - good old non prejudiced me won't dare make assumptions to the contrary.

I read this a couple of times and still couldn't work out what your point might be, assuming there is even a point you are trying to make.

I guess the reaction is that you consider there to be a type of person who is a 'normal' football supporter. My view is that it is rather reductive to try to generalize football supporters and that, as you say the stereotype is changing as society changes.

Oh behave you lot. I think Whelk was simply intimating that his profile is not your "typical" football fan - and that's a fact you can't contest. Jesus, nice to see the over-the-top PC brigade going strong. On a slightly unrelated note, he handed me my graduation from UEA (Norwich), so I assume there is some long-term link to the city there.

Fry grew up in the village of Booton, about 10 miles from Norwich. He is a director of Norwich.

Born in Hampstead but brought up in Norfolk. Studied at City College, Norwich. Read English Literature at Queens', Cambridge. Graduated with a second ?

Can we please get away from this stereotyping of sexual lifestyles?

I read this a couple of times and still couldn't work out what your point might be, assuming there is even a point you are trying to make.

I guess the reaction is that you consider there to be a type of person who is a 'normal' football supporter. My view is that it is rather reductive to try to generalize football supporters and that, as you say the stereotype is changing as society changes.

Not my problem you are struggling.

Ok let me give another example. David Cameron and his Aston Villa/West Ham affections - not a 'normal' football fan. Some may even say his love of the game is not deep rooted.

If I commented on this after he attended games regularly that he seems a proper fan you would of course make exactly the same point

Not the fact that he is a comedian but gay Cambridge educated public school boy luvvie is not a normal football supporter..

...who got expelled from school twice, spent a few months in prison, and got his A levels at a Norwich FE college. Something future generations won't be able to do after the cuts to college funding by the way.

Not my problem you are struggling.

Ok let me give another example. David Cameron and his Aston Villa/West Ham affections - not a 'normal' football fan. Some may even say his love of the game is not deep rooted.

If I commented on this after he attended games regularly that he seems a proper fan you would of course make exactly the same point

You're right, it isn't your problem but I'm pleased that you tried to clarify anyway - well done :)

Essentially, it seems to me that you are characterising Stephen Fry as a 'plastic' fan, which is fine and would be accurate if he didn't really have much interest in football. However, I don't see him being gay or educated at Cambridge to be in any way relevant to the degree of his plasticity. Same goes for David Cameron. I suspect he is plastic but I'm not really in a position to know for sure.

Look at David Mellor - Cambridge educated and a barrister (though not gay) but I don't think any one would accuse him of being a plastic fan.

Right, that's my three posts up, so I'm out. Have a lovely Bank Holiday Monday.

You're right, it isn't your problem but I'm pleased that you tried to clarify anyway - well done :)

Essentially, it seems to me that you are characterising Stephen Fry as a 'plastic' fan, which is fine and would be accurate if he didn't really have much interest in football. However, I don't see him being gay or educated at Cambridge to be in any way relevant to the degree of his plasticity. Same goes for David Cameron. I suspect he is plastic but I'm not really in a position to know for sure.

Look at David Mellor - Cambridge educated and a barrister (though not gay) but I don't think any one would accuse him of being a plastic fan.

Right, that's my three posts up, so I'm out. Have a lovely Bank Holiday Monday.

Mellor was the year before me at Christ's and we overlapped for two years. There were plenty of us there who followed football teams.

Ruggers at Twickers was strictly for the toffs.

Stephen Fry ‏@stephenfry · Aug 30  Southampton, England

Here at St. Mary’s to watch Norwich take on Southampton. Just met Matt le Tissier so I feel as if I’ve already won

Stephen Fry ‏@stephenfry · Aug 30  Southampton, England

Well meeting the legendary Matt Le Tissier was the only win for me today. Heigh Ho

A superb actor and one of the greatest footballers of his generation. Although few lucky enough to see me play