Deadline day thread (closes Tuesday 6-00pm)

Pilchards

Who's this then: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/33590187

This summer was always more about evolution than revolution, with Nathaniel Clyne and Morgan Schneiderlin the only two to depart. The loan signing of Maarten Stekelenburg covers Fraser Forster’s injury, with Steven Caulker also given another shot at the top flight. Cedric Soares looks a promising replacement for Clyne, while the £5m signing of Oriol Romeu may be the club’s best bit of business this summer. The Spaniard has looked comfortable and commanding in his outings to-date. I expect no incomings at St. Mary’s today, while Sadio Mane and Victor Wanyama will both remain on the south coast.

Connor Armstrong

Southampton fan and writer

So (1) ignoring Alderweireld's departure (yeah yeah I know he was never actually our player) and (2) not expecting any incomings today?? Is he living under a massive rock?

Who's this then: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/33590187

This summer was always more about evolution than revolution, with Nathaniel Clyne and Morgan Schneiderlin the only two to depart. The loan signing of Maarten Stekelenburg covers Fraser Forster’s injury, with Steven Caulker also given another shot at the top flight. Cedric Soares looks a promising replacement for Clyne, while the £5m signing of Oriol Romeu may be the club’s best bit of business this summer. The Spaniard has looked comfortable and commanding in his outings to-date. I expect no incomings at St. Mary’s today, while Sadio Mane and Victor Wanyama will both remain on the south coast.

Connor Armstrong

Southampton fan and writer

So (1) ignoring Alderweireld's departure (yeah yeah I know he was never actually our player) and (2) not expecting any incomings today?? Is he living under a massive rock?

It's Saint Armstrong on here.

As said on the VVD thread...

---

The BBC's deadline was earlier in the evening yesterday, so I provided them with two separate versions.

They managed to use the wrong one. :mcinnes:

When it was pointed out to them, they apologised and changed it.

---

On the Alderweireld front: I was only allowed 100 words, and they cut part mentioning Toby and other signings because they told me they had to be really strict. I had no say in what made the final cut.

But yes, I agree that we obviously had to recruit a Toby replacement and yes obviously VVD is on his way in.

FLAMINI SET FOR EXIT?

Arsenal fans will want their club to bring in a few new faces today but there could be movement the other way with Mathieu Flamini possibly heading for the Emirates exit door, according to the Daily Mail.

The report claims the Frenchman is surplus to requirements at the Gunners and can leave the club today.

HCDAJFU?

---

The BBC's deadline was earlier in the evening yesterday, so I provided them with two separate versions.

---

On the Alderweireld front: I was only allowed 100 words, and they cut part mentioning Toby and other signings because they told me they had to be really strict. I had no say in what made the final cut.

But yes, I agree that we obviously had to recruit a Toby replacement and yes obviously VVD is on his way in.

Haha lol ... should have known it would be the BBC ... apologies for finger pointing!

---

---

Typical journo, always blaming someone else. Crook taught you well. ;)

FLAMINI SET FOR EXIT?

Arsenal fans will want their club to bring in a few new faces today but there could be movement the other way with Mathieu Flamini possibly heading for the Emirates exit door, according to the Daily Mail.

The report claims the Frenchman is surplus to requirements at the Gunners and can leave the club today.

HCDAJFU?

No he couldn't.

Plus its a position where we have enough numbers with Wanyama, Clasie, Romeu, Ward-Prowse, Davis and Reed as central midfielders.

It appears that Spuds have left virtually everything to the last minute and are ending up getting zilch in terms of their targets..

Their own "black box" arrangement needs a bloody good wind up I would say

Levy thinks he's smart by leaving it to the last minute as it not only gets them a new player but also messes up the other club. Hopefully the clubs involved will stand firm and leave him with egg on his smug punchable face.

Levy thinks he's smart by leaving it to the last minute as it not only gets them a new player but also messes up the other club. Hopefully the clubs involved will stand firm and leave him with egg on his smug punchable face.

If that's his tactic, he's more stupid than I thought. With the new tv deal, 'medium sized clubs' can demand more for their players and are not desperate to sell.

Always fun and games today on deadline day!

Sounds like VVD is due to be presented, maybe there will be one more surprise deal for us, but not expecting anything.

Really hope Spurs end up with no-one. I saw Jeremy Peace's statement the other day about Berahino, the thing is they think they can just get away with cheeky offers all the time. I know it's all just a big game, but I truly believe that whatever you are buying, offer a price that is respectful.

Sounds like VVD is due to be presented, maybe there will be one more surprise deal for us, but not expecting anything.

Really hope Spurs end up with no-one. I saw Jeremy Peace's statement the other day about Berahino, the thing is they think they can just get away with cheeky offers all the time. I know it's all just a big game, but I truly believe that whatever you are buying, offer a price that is respectful.

Exactly. Why Levy thinks people will roll over and let him tickle their tummy when hes taken the p*ss out of them is beyond comprehension.

Explains why their PR leak to the media so much; they think if they unsettle the player the job is half done.

Pleased that the smaller PL clubs are fighting back.

I think what really hacks the player's clubs off is the manipulative way clubs like Spurs, Liverpool, MU, Chelsea etc blatantly try and unsettle the players to get them to force a transfer. It won't happen but it needs the FA to step in and if the disadvantaged club complains the transfer is not allowed.

When Virgil van Dijk signs, Southampton since promotion in 2012 have spent over £174m on new player transfer/loan costs (not including agent fees, signing on fees or wages) plus £40m on improving the training ground.

But the press think Liebherr is asset stripping, firesale etc. Yes, we've recouped a lot but the money is clearly being reinvested.

Edited by Matthew Le God

When Virgil van Dijk signs, Southampton since promotion in 2012 have spent over £174m on new player transfer/loan costs (not including agent fees, signing on fees or wages) plus £40m on improving the training ground.

But the press think Liebherr is asset stripping, firesale etc. Yes, we've recouped a lot but the money is clearly being reinvested.

Some fans still think that too apparently. There are still posts mentioning *skimming off the top."

Some fans still think that too apparently. There are still posts mentioning *skimming off the top."

TBH, I hope she is "skimming off the top". Maybe she has fallen in love with Saints and decides not to - that of course would be best. But the other way, and possibly more realistic, is for her to look at it as an investment. OK she could probably sell up now and make a healthy profit, but to me, if I was treating it as an investment, then I would expect a dividend. Why shouldn't she get a dividend? She can still be a good owner (and I think that she is) and take money out.

Been watching sky sports news this morning and it's nothing like it used to be.

They have reporters in the football stadiums now instead of outside training grounds.

Loved those funny moments including one of a young lad from Southampton who was dancing on his own, anyone got the footage?

Yea... I think they have had to rethink all that following last years excessive FHRITPing

Spurs now reported to be looking at signing Cheick Tioté from Newcastle because they can't get Wanyama, Kouyaté or Witsel...

Tiote has been absolutely woeful in the games I've watched against us. Powerful fella, but utterly clueless.

What is our net transfer revenue since 2012 out of interest? And how much Sky money have we received?

FLAMINI SET FOR EXIT?

HCDAJFU?

No we have loads on holding midfielders now and he's past it and old.

Anybody seen the 'journo' that has written a piece for the BBC Sport page reviewing a player and his potential.....

All due to the players 'career' on his football manager save game :lol:

There's been a weird Football Manager placement going on with the BBC's site today, they've got an "FM Expert" reeling off the stats (which as we know from our own experience are pulled together by geeks with a massive amount of subjective judgement - James Ward-Prowse captains England to World Cup wins in literally ALL of my multi-year sims due to MLG giving him a preposterous amount of potential) and the name of the game is all over a couple of sites.