Congratualtions & Good Luck Kevin Davies

Gemmel

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34151258

Davies officially retires.

A great player in his day and i think if my (failing) memory serves me right that when he left the first time a certain James Beattie was part of the deal.

We made very good money from KD and then got him back almost for free. Personally whne he left the second time, (although he went on to refind his form at Bolton and gain an England cap), I think it was the right thing for both parties.

My two highlights of him in a Saints shirt;

1) The mazy individual goal away to Everton

2) The last minute equalizer against Millwall (I think) to keep Saints in the cup, the year we reached the final.

Kevin has always been a fantastic guy and great player in my eyes. The way he has played and how he's lived his life since leaving Saints prove what an immensely misunderstood guy he was. Besides playing to the highest levels, he married and raised three gorgeous kids in the manner of the perfect father.

Out of the game, Kev and Emma give hours of their time to charities to help less fortunate kids and elderly people. He is a shining Ambassador to the game and a tremendous role model to other players on how one can plough back into the gameone's talent and experience . He has become one of the foremost opinions of the game and shows he's not just a pretty face. I'd like to thank Kevin for all he did for Saints, and. hope he doesn't look back at how poorly he was treated and misunderstood by Gordon Strachan in his final two years at the club. Far from encouraging him and building up his confidence Strachan ridiculed and drove away all the talent Kevin showed from an early age.

Kevin, I salute you, remain as proud of you as ever, and wish you all the luck with the many ingenious plans you have for your retirement. You have risen above all your critics and shown yourself to be, one hell of a loving, caring and talented guy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34151258

Davies officially retires.

A great player in his day and i think if my (failing) memory serves me right that when he left the first time a certain James Beattie was part of the deal.

We made very good money from KD and then got him back almost for free. Personally whne he left the second time, (although he went on to refind his form at Bolton and gain an England cap), I think it was the right thing for both parties.

My two highlights of him in a Saints shirt;

1) The mazy individual goal away to Everton

2) The last minute equalizer against Millwall (I think) to keep Saints in the cup, the year we reached the final.

My clearest memory of a goal from him was when I witnessed the time he poached the ball from behind Ed de Goey and scored at Chelsea.

The match perspective from Chelsea is here:-

http://www.chelseafc.com/news/latest-news/2015/03/pre-match-briefing---chelsea-v-southampton--part-two.html

Interesting to note that subsequently we signed Petrescu, Wise, Hughes and Le Saux from that team, with another ex-Chelsea player in Monkou there too.

Always had time for him. Polite and courteous, unlike so many professional players.

A few members of his family (his brother and his dad, I think) were profoundly deaf and that dictated the way he treated people. Throughout his life he had to show patience and understanding, virtues that thankfully did not desert him.

Unlike some undeserving arse holes who treated the media like carp in their playing days but had the nerve to go cap in hand for a pundit's role when they retired, Kevin always had time and deserves his chance.

Saw him in aya napa one year. He was With Beattie and kachoul. All very drunk.

An intelligent lad , who was also a lad :)

Read an article by him the other day and he admitted he did like a drink after training. Mind you there wasn't much else for them to do then. Things have changed for the better now, they just go shopping and spend their wedge nowadays.

I was delighted when we signed him from Chesterfield after he made his name in their cup run to the semis back whenever. In his first spell with us he looked great but seemed to lose confidence at Blackburn under Hodgson and did not seem like the same player in his second spell. One of the few mistakes that Strachan made when he was with us was, in my opinion his mis-handling of him. Allardice turned him into a totally different type of player at Bolton (with it has to be said, some success) but it does beg the question of how good he would have been if he had stayed with us from the start. (This comment probably applies to a few other players as well!!) However, we got Beatts from Blackburn as part of the deal so we did OK from it. Cracking lad and well respected for his charity work. Seems to making a name for himself as a match summariser for BT Sport in which already he shows Owen how it should be done.

Kevin has always been a fantastic guy and great player in my eyes. The way he has played and how he's lived his life since leaving Saints prove what an immensely misunderstood guy he was. Besides playing to the highest levels, he married and raised three gorgeous kids in the manner of the perfect father.

Out of the game, Kev and Emma give hours of their time to charities to help less fortunate kids and elderly people. He is a shining Ambassador to the game and a tremendous role model to other players on how one can plough back into the gameone's talent and experience . He has become one of the foremost opinions of the game and shows he's not just a pretty face. I'd like to thank Kevin for all he did for Saints, and. hope he doesn't look back at how poorly he was treated and misunderstood by Gordon Strachan in his final two years at the club. Far from encouraging him and building up his confidence Strachan ridiculed and drove away all the talent Kevin showed from an early age.

Kevin, I salute you, remain as proud of you as ever, and wish you all the luck with the many ingenious plans you have for your retirement. You have risen above all your critics and shown yourself to be, one hell of a loving, caring and talented guy.

Great at post Art. I always liked KD, even when he moved from Saints and always looked out for him at other clubs.

Good luck in retirement, Kevin.

I am not going to comment on whether WGS handled him correctly or not, but towards the end of his second spell he was fourth or fifth choice striker behind Beattie, Pahars, Ormerod and even Tessem (I know!). With the success the team enjoyed at the time, it was inevitable that he would move on given that he was barely playing.

Was a shame, but he certainly went on to prove himself again at Bolton under Big Sam.

Always remember his goal against Everton in 97/98, a real gem!

I met him in the players lounge at Chelsea some years ago and made a bit of a prat of myself !

The pitch was sodden throughout the match and I asked him how he found playing on it (Yes, I had watched the whole game) ? His polite answer was that he didn't know, as he had remained on the bench as an unused sub !

We had a laugh about that and he couldn't have been more sociable, mind you, I think he fancied my daughter so maybe it was nothing to do with me anyway :)

Saw him in aya napa one year. He was With Beattie and kachoul. All very drunk.

An intelligent lad , who was also a lad :)

That might be the year I went to Ayia Napa which was 2000. He was there with Beattie, Kachloul, Dean Richards (RIP) and Gary Monk. I had no idea who Gary Monk was as he wasnt a regular and tended to ignore him.

Thanks Art. I did not know all of this background info but it comes as no surprise, as he always struck me as a very decent and down to earth guy.