Home Hub 5

Batman

I have BT infinity BB.

Seem to be getting my connection dropping randomly.

Had a loom room be on BT forums and some suggest the HH5 is utter turd (it did cost me nothing so to speak)

Seen a few recommendations as a possible replacement.

Anyone else have any? Or experienced crap with the HH5?

When you say 'connection dropping randomly' how often does this happen? Once/twice/three/four times an hour? Once/twice/three/four times a day?

And how long does it stay off, does it go to a flashing orange/steady orange light for 30 seconds-1 minute and then come back on?

Ours goes off maybe once a day for 30 seconds-1 minute (goes flashing/steady orange) and then comes back on, apart from on Sundays when it goes off a lot because they seemingly test the line a lot on Sundays.

I have BT infinity BB.

Seem to be getting my connection dropping randomly.

Had a loom room be on BT forums and some suggest the HH5 is utter turd (it did cost me nothing so to speak)

Seen a few recommendations as a possible replacement.

Anyone else have any? Or experienced crap with the HH5?

Dont know what forums you're reading but most of what Ive read praise the HH5. Ive got one and think its excellent - faster and handles multiple devices much better than HH3. Your problem sounds like a line issue - how long have you had BT broadband? For the first month or so after you get it they repeatedly tweak the settings to get the fastest speed. If you're new give it a while to settle down.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/networking-and-wi-fi/modem-routers/bt-home-hub-5-1239932/review

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/networks/wireless-routers/1402896/bt-home-hub-5-review-the-fast-router-for-bt-broadband

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/broadband/bt-home-hub-5-how-get-maximum-speed-3593683/

Edited by buctootim

It is almost like it reboots itself. Every day maybe.

Nothing to worry about then, the internet going off for 30 seconds-1 minute once a day is pretty much irrelevant to me, but I know different people have differing levels of patience and what they're prepared to put up with, I just always assume they're testing the line or updating the firmware on the Router and get on with it, it's mildly annoying on Sunday when it does it 4/5 times for me but apart from that it doesn't really bother me at all.

Don't all modems get re-booted once a day by the ISP to change your IP, unless you pay the extra for a static IP address?

Not really, in this day and age once you have a connection back to the ISP either via PPoE or Cable, then you keep that IP. It'll only pull a new one if you reconnect at some point, which in theory you shouldn't do regularly unless there is a line or device problem.

I had Virgin for years, I usually had the same IP for about a year until I did a hard reboot of the modem. I'm with Infinity now, and it's the same with this really, it just stays connected with the same IP for months on end.

Batman - you don't mention what is dropping as such, are you seeing your WiFi connection disconnecting at all, or is the internet going down, but your wifi is staying online? You'll have an infinity modem as well as the home hub, so when you lose connection it's worth having a look at the infinity modem to see if the sync lights are still solid - then you can work out what is causing the problem.

I can't give much info on the Home hub as I don't use it, I drill the infinity modem into my own router.