• Ward-Prowse
    • Davis
    • Tadic
    • Mané
    • Pellè
    • Romeu
    • Rodriguez
    • Juanmi

Surely this comment was intended as some kind of performance art.

I thought Fonte was expected a direct shot on goal and was sliding by to block it .

Yes, that's correct. His body shape was wrong for a tackle. It was a block. Poor decision by the ref, especially as they scored about one and a half seconds later!

Part of the misunderstanding was his attempts to keep the game flowing by waiting a few seconds to see if any advantage had accrued, and then bringing the game back for a free kick. People around me thought he was giving non-existent fouls. I was bemused by the analytical decision but when you see it again on MOTD Fonte slides in and completely upends the Swansea player. Most of the fouls seemed to be for shoves and pushes which is fair enough. You don't play football with your handset stop pushing and shoving and you won't get picked up.

Having said that it was the highest foul count of the day at 32 but not by much, there were a couple of games in the high twenties.

I understood fully his use of the advantage rule and it's nice to see refs doing it properly.

However he gave a lot of fouls incorrectly and the penalty, ironically, was a complete failure to consider advantage.

His main saving grace was that he was conservative with the cards or we could have ended up in a spot of bother with the amount of dodgy free-kicks he gave against us.

Well, that was a decent win. Performance wise...we've played better, oddly, but there's not really much to complain about.

I thought we pressed well on occasions, but it wasn't the 'everyone press'' style that we've been accompanied with, which I think Koeman may have referred to as well - we left too much space in front of our back 4 on too many occasions, not sure how much warning we need of Shelvey's long-shots!

Pelle was excellent I thought, a real target man performances. Bringing others into play, bullying the centre backs, just a general pain in the arse for Swansea to deal with. He was unlucky not to get a goal as well, but I must admit I'm quite enjoying Pelle this year, I think he's been excellent for us so far.

There was a worry about the step up from Scottish football for VVD, but he looks pretty good to say the least. There are times when he can be a tad too casual, but that's easily coached out. His technique and attributes are terrific though, and he'll be a fantastic addition alongside Fonte. We may also have a consistent threat from set pieces...both in the box, and from outside!

Overall, we put a good side away yesterday. I don't think Swansea played particularly bad, but we just had that little bit of extra nous in the final third to finish them off. On a final note, WTF was up with the ref? what an irritating moron. Absolutely no handle on the game what so ever.

Good game but not to our best. Fonte looked suspect. Cedric and Bertrand were very good indeed. VVD was immense (my MOTM) and so was Victor. Davis and JWP had a reasonably good battling performance. The front line was very difficult to handle for their defence. The turning point I think was the first goal - if that had gone to them the result would have been quite different I think.

A small niggle - shame about losing the clean sheet. Was surprised at RK's decisions on the substitutions. Taking off Wanyama for Romeu would have seemed to be the better tactic but he declined it. The midfield suffered by the loss of Davis, whilst Wanyama was left still having to take extra care not to get a second yellow. The other substitutions were so late in the game they probably didn't matter but control did appear to be conceded to Swansea in the last 15 minutes.

Clearly the idea was to bring on a second DM to close the game out. Which we did, though in doing so we also sat back and Swansea attacked with nothing to lose at 3 down. Having taken Bertrand off we also lost some of the quality - but none of that actually affected the concession of the penalty.

Clearly the idea was to bring on a second DM to close the game out. Which we did, though in doing so we also sat back and Swansea attacked with nothing to lose at 3 down. Having taken Bertrand off we also lost some of the quality - but none of that actually affected the concession of the penalty.

Bertrand played the full 90.

Bertrand played the full 90.

Ah yeah, now I think of it he was stood next to the substitution and it wasn't him that came off! Yeesh, drink. :D

In which case, when Tadic came off for Rodriguez it shifted the balance in favour of Swansea attacking. I may have to watch Tadic's defensive work next time.

Edited by The9

Romeu was like a wrecking ball when he came on.

Be stunned if he does not see a straight red this season

That's his job and we need him to do that no-one will mince through our midfield . He took one for the team well yesterday just as they looked dangerous.

Good signing uses it well keeps it simple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's his job and we need him to do that no-one will mince through our midfield . He took one for the team well yesterday just as they looked dangerous.

Good signing uses it well keeps it simple

4 bookings in 7 games and to be suspended isn't his job.

He is also getting used to the league which is far more competitive that he has been playing.

His position means you do exactly what he is doing. Big Vic came close yesterday.

Big Vic doesn't step over line. He was on the whole game too. Romeo was dropped for reason. He has to learn to be more disciplined IMO.

Big Vic doesn't step over line. He was on the whole game too. Romeo was dropped for reason. He has to learn to be more disciplined IMO.

You're kidding? Vic got away with a couple of wayward tackles that should have been yellows and then got a yellow card all in the first 45 minutes I was pretty surprised he was still on the pitch by half time. Luckily he calmed down in the second half.

You're kidding? Vic got away with a couple of wayward tackles that should have been yellows and then got a yellow card all in the first 45 minutes I was pretty surprised he was still on the pitch by half time. Luckily he calmed down in the second half.

Vic has been sent off zero times at saints.

Defensive, ball winning midfielders are likely to pick up cards and suspensions. Even more 'creative' forward thinking players are likely to tot up a few over the season. Just off the top of my head I would say Romeu is no more susceptible to cards than Fernandinho, Tiote, Flamini, Cazorla, Schneiderlin, Barry, Lucas, Yacob, Wanyama, Jedinak, Shelvey etc etc.

Big Vic doesn't step over line.

Very funny. Played more than half of the match yesterday avoiding making tackles because he stepped over the line too often early on and got booked.

Romeu should grow his hair a bit so that he does not look like a thug, he gets booked before he hardly makes a tackle, most of his bookings (though not the one yesterday) have so far not been warranted - he is a marked man already though which is a concern.

Romeu has made a few dubious tackles including sliding through the back of people and they can easily become reds, whilst Wanyama tends to get his yellow cards from pulling people back or repeated fouling as he does a lot of leaning people off the ball and the odd shirt pull rather than chucking himself in. As such, Romeu is higher risk than Wanyama.

The reason Romeu was on the bench was because we were at home to a team Koeman thought we could beat. It's becoming increasingly evident that that is going to be Wanyama/JWP, with Romeu doing a job in the games where we want the 2 DMs in front as we're expecting to need to defend and win back possession more.

My only viewpoint of this game were from the highlights on MOTD. can anyone who watched comment on the togetherness of the team. The three goal celebrations really lacked the big team pile ons that we've got used to over the past few years. Comments?

I was at the game can't say I noticed any lack of team togetherness everyone seemed to be very happy (as they would winning 3-1)

My only viewpoint of this game were from the highlights on MOTD. can anyone who watched comment on the togetherness of the team. The three goal celebrations really lacked the big team pile ons that we've got used to over the past few years. Comments?

Well, the wife consumed a lot of alcohol yesterday so I took the opportunity of the first goal to run to the concourse for a bottle of water, so I couldn't say. :)

Romeu has made a few dubious tackles including sliding through the back of people and they can easily become reds, whilst Wanyama tends to get his yellow cards from pulling people back or repeated fouling as he does a lot of leaning people off the ball and the odd shirt pull rather than chucking himself in. As such, Romeu is higher risk than Wanyama.

The reason Romeu was on the bench was because we were at home to a team Koeman thought we could beat. It's becoming increasingly evident that that is going to be Wanyama/JWP, with Romeu doing a job in the games where we want the 2 DMs in front as we're expecting to need to defend and win back possession more.

And I presume we'll be seeing Wanyama/Clasie and not not Wanyama/JWP when Jordie is fit? I can't see where else he'd fit in, at the moment.

Is Clasie a holding midfielder? I think we'll see him in the Davis role

Traditionally he's been a holding midfielder. Will be interesting to see where he fits in and how the rest of the squad is managed, will be hard for some to even make the bench.

Plus I think both JWP and Davis have been good of late, bit harsh on them being dropped.

Good to see us win and score 3 with Davis and Ward-Prowse in the team! Anyone want to explain again why it doesn't work with these two in our team?

If you really don't understand its unlikely you ever will . Did you even watch the game ??

We scored 3 in spite of them , certainly not because of them . Prowse had a decent corner kick which was converted . We rarely score from corners .

Go watch the game and you will answer your own question

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

If you really don't understand its unlikely you ever will . Did you even watch the game ??

We scored 3 in spite of them , certainly not because of them . Prowse had a decent corner kick which was converted . We rarely score from corners .

So basically you can't justify your argument.

Ok just because you are unable to stop yourself from being a complete and utter **** at every opportunity.

Prowse offers nothing as an attacking midfielder. He rarely closes players down and his distribution is poor . He lacks any sort of aggression and thus provides zero in terms of defensive ability .

Davis is able to pressure players but lacks any ability to pick out a pass that will unlock a defence . Usually he will run at the opponents box and then gradually slow down as he has no idea what to do next . A champion of the backwards pass . Often loses possession yet does little to retrieve it . Cannot shoot to save himself .

When both are combined it allows teams unfettered access through our central channel forcing Wanyama or Romeu into making more aggressive challenges as they are offered no protection. This draws fouls and yellow cards .

In turn this also puts our defence under increased pressure . Fonte now stands out as a weak link at Cb with out the protection of a better midfield .

This has been discussed on here before but thank you for being an argumentative twit .

Honestly why do you even have an open forum when all you do is attack different opinions ?

The mods do a rubbish job in controlling this .

With all this talk of Romeu and his bookings it would be nice to see JWP pick up a few cards. Unlikely though as he never gets close enough to an opponent to put in a tackle.

I'm not sure what game you were watching on Saturday, but JWP did a lot of pressing and harying.

Ok just because you are unable to stop yourself from being a complete and utter **** at every opportunity.

Prowse offers nothing as an attacking midfielder. He rarely closes players down and his distribution is poor . He lacks any sort of aggression and thus provides zero in terms of defensive ability .

Davis is able to pressure players but lacks any ability to pick out a pass that will unlock a defence . Usually he will run at the opponents box and then gradually slow down as he has no idea what to do next . A champion of the backwards pass . Often loses possession yet does little to retrieve it . Cannot shoot to save himself .

When both are combined it allows teams unfettered access through our central channel forcing Wanyama or Romeu into making more aggressive challenges as they are offered no protection. This draws fouls and yellow cards .

In turn this also puts our defence under increased pressure . Fonte now stands out as a weak link at Cb with out the protection of a better midfield .

This has been discussed on here before but thank you for being an argumentative twit .

Honestly why do you even have an open forum when all you do is attack different opinions ?

The mods do a rubbish job in controlling this .

Agreed, the mods ought to have more control over the sort of aggressive attitude that you have just shown to a perfectly reasonable point of view.

How this comes across, is that you believe Koeman to be an idiot for selecting them both. How can it be that such an experienced manager cannot see what is plain to an ordinary fan like you? How has it come to pass that Northern Ireland have chosen such a useless player as Davis to be their captain? Roy Hodgson has expressed the opinion that Ward-Prowse is a big prospect for the future, so again, what does he know about anything?

We get the message though; you don't like either of them. But as you say, this is a forum of opinions and it is perfectly acceptable to dismiss the opinions of others as being rubbish providing that one doesn't resort to calling the poster a complete and utter ****, or an argumentative twit.

I'm not sure what game you were watching on Saturday, but JWP did a lot of pressing and harying.

Really? I don't call getting within 15 feet of an opposition player and then waving your hands about like a backing dancer in a stage musical pressing. The Swansea players just played around JWP like he wasn't there half the time.

If you want to see proper pressing and closing down watch Davis going about his job. Swansea only really got into the game after Davis went off.

I did watch the game; we won and scored 3 goals! Your argument seems a bit strange but at least it gives you a reason to get angry.

I did watch the game; we won and scored 3 goals! Your argument seems a bit strange but at least it gives you a reason to get angry.

Angry ? Not at all . Your lack of understanding of the game is amusing but as long as you enjoyed it .

You asked a question of a much discussed topic . I hope the answer satisfies your curiosity .

3-1 is a good result but a better team would have punished the acres of space that Koemans formation gave them .

I can only hope that Classie holds the key to remove one of them from the squad .

It seems you missed how easily Swansea waltzed through our midfield time after time .

What are your thoughts as to how this can be improved ?