Turning Down An Internal Position

View From The Top

Strange one this, or is for me.

I was interviewed for a very senior position where I work and I've subsequently been offered a different position which I'm simply not interested in, although I can see why I've been offered it.

The question is how do I turn the offered position down in a way that doesn't damage future opportunities?

I was interviewed for a very senior position where I work and I've subsequently been offered a different position which I'm simply not interested in, although I can see why I've been offered it.

The question is how do I turn the offered position down in a way that doesn't damage future opportunities?

According to a poll by the NUT, 60% of teachers will quit in the next two years, so there'll be plenty of opportunities.

I've seen this before.....and .....assuming the top brass know what they are doing ... here are some thoughts.

1) you've been "noticed" by the heirarchy, but an interview doesn't mean you're seriously in the running, sometimes people are just there to make up the numbers.

2) Do you like the job you're doing....or are you worth better? Maybe they want to bring in someone else, and move you to something better?.

3) Could you do the " other job "? Are you a good technician / expert, or do you have better " people skills "? That's very important.

4) .....if you are qualified for the "other job?" ..What is it you don't like about it ...and why would you turn it down?

5) Turning down a move isn't always negative, but I made a move once...and regretted it, but there was a lot of re-structuring and it was a part of the "Master Plan".

6) ...maybe ....the other guy was better than you (in some way that impressed them), and this other job is a consolation ..to keep you " happy " after being rejected.

if you want to continue this ..PM me ....David.

I'd just explain that you applied for the other position because of X, Y and Z, and that you don't think the position they've offered you matches your career ambitions. Goes without saying really, but just don't say anything that may be construed as being a bit ****ty.

I've seen this before.....and .....assuming the top brass know what they are doing ... here are some thoughts.

1) you've been "noticed" by the heirarchy, but an interview doesn't mean you're seriously in the running, sometimes people are just there to make up the numbers.

2) Do you like the job you're doing....or are you worth better? Maybe they want to bring in someone else, and move you to something better?.

3) Could you do the " other job "? Are you a good technician / expert, or do you have better " people skills "? That's very important.

4) .....if you are qualified for the "other job?" ..What is it you don't like about it ...and why would you turn it down?

5) Turning down a move isn't always negative, but I made a move once...and regretted it, but there was a lot of re-structuring and it was a part of the "Master Plan".

6) ...maybe ....the other guy was better than you (in some way that impressed them), and this other job is a consolation ..to keep you " happy " after being rejected.

if you want to continue this ..PM me ....David.

They interviewed 7 internal candidates and as far as I can tell they've used the interview process to identify where those 7 staff view the major weaknesses of the organisation and offered each one a position in one of those key areas to fix the identified problem(s).

For me it was a bit of a fishing exercise and I never really thought I'd bag the top job but the position I've been offered, whilst I can see why they'd want me to do it, doesn't appeal.

I want to decline but don't want to then rule myself out of anything in the future.

They interviewed 7 internal candidates and as far as I can tell they've used the interview process to identify where those 7 staff view the major weaknesses of the organisation and offered each one a position in one of those key areas to fix the identified problem(s).

For me it was a bit of a fishing exercise and I never really thought I'd bag the top job but the position I've been offered, whilst I can see why they'd want me to do it, doesn't appeal.

I want to decline but don't want to then rule myself out of anything in the future.

Good idea wrong time is the message you need to get to them then.

For me it was a bit of a fishing exercise and I never really thought I'd bag the top job

.......but the position I've been offered, whilst I can see why they'd want me to do it, doesn't appeal.

interesting points.

I had a similar situation ..20 years ago.. and my boss said he didn't realise I had such a " holistic view " of the whole organisation.

He created a new post for me.....and I built it up .... my way. Took time for me to recruit the personnel I really wanted, but it was a great success.

If you genuinely don't want the job OK, you could always say....IF I took this post ...I'd want to change this and this etc. That might put them off.... but IF they said YES ... and are prepared to let you do it .. might the job become more attractive for you? ...(especially if the salary is attractive enough)

old quote (updated)....never move for less than a thousand a month. ( it was much less in my day - but same principle).

Otherwise - if you are still dead against it .... I'd agree with Steve Grant #4.

Thank them for considering you, but you feel that you still have " unfinished goals to achieve in your existing post" ...(or it clashes with family concerns, etc.etc.)

Hopefully.. they are not vindictive, but you may have to wait and be patient for the next opportunity to come for a post you do want....whenever.

.....and at the end of the day.....you were only " fishing " ...and if you didn't think you'd get it anyway ... they agreed with that thought. Good luck!

Edited by david in sweden

I like what David has put in trying to turn it into something you want to do, otherwise maybe use the suitability versus eligibility angle to persuade them it's not for you but can see their reasoning.

I second that. From a management view I personally would be excited and impressed by someone who came to me with well-thought out proposals for improving and restructuring the organisation. It's your life and career and its up to you to steer it in the direction you wish to go.

Good luck.