St.Stephen's Day and Boxing Day games rearranged

trousers

I am delighted with this as it means I can go to Barnet v Newport at 3pm on definitely-not-Boxing-Day. I just mentioned this to the wife, who said "will be fun to go to both", which led to me proposing again via text. :)

I am delighted with this as it means I can go to Barnet v Newport at 3pm on definitely-not-Boxing-Day. I just mentioned this to the wife, who said "will be fun to go to both", which led to me proposing again via text. :)

It'd take at least an hour from Barnet's ground to the Boleyn.

It'd take at least an hour from Barnet's ground to the Boleyn.

Nice bit re: Boxing Day argument, but the Barnet game is 26th and I meant getting back to Southampton for the Arsenal match. I'm already going to Newport v Plymouth on 28th as I'm up there for post-Christmas saying hello to indigenous family members and checking out the redevelopment of town centre duties.

More importantly, Palace and Norwich still 3 pm kick-offs.

Norwich is a January game - they haven't announced TV for that yet - could still change.

Palace away and Spurs home on 19th Dec - i am surprised neither of those have changed. Spurs at home sat before xmas always a good drink up so pleased about that.

Night game on boxing day will be a nightmare transport wise, only benefit is traffic won't have to compete for parking spaces with the shoppers.

Doubt if you'll be able to get a half-n-half scarf though..

will be fun on trains and in and around Waterloo on Dec 28th as Bournemouth are at Arsenal and that game is also 5.30Pm kick off for same reason as ours

tasty. 3000 Cherries and 3000 Saints all sharing the same trains home around 8.30-9pm , plus everyone else heading back from their Xmas breaks.

Should imagine West Ham will be a popular one this year, last time we'll play at Upton Park.

Norwich is a January game - they haven't announced TV for that yet - could still change.

Palace away and Spurs home on 19th Dec - i am surprised neither of those have changed. Spurs at home sat before xmas always a good drink up so pleased about that.

Night game on boxing day will be a nightmare transport wise, only benefit is traffic won't have to compete for parking spaces with the shoppers.

They have announced some early January games and the Norwich Game hasn't been touched.

They have announced some early January games and the Norwich Game hasn't been touched.

Nice one, just seen they have included the first week of Jan in their selections so another game people can plan for knowing it won't be changed.

Regarding the Arsenal - 7.45pm game, i think we have quite a spread out fanbase with large numbers travelling from 70/80 mile radius, i wonder if it is even possible to get back to the Isle of Wight after the game on boxing day? hotels in town will be busy that night.

The 26th is annoying because now I'll have to go to my partner's Mum's in the day as the evening kick off means there will be enough time to drive the hour back here for the match.

The TV schedulers really don't think about things like that.

tasty. 3000 Cherries and 3000 Saints all sharing the same trains home around 8.30-9pm , plus everyone else heading back from their Xmas breaks.

Should imagine West Ham will be a popular one this year, last time we'll play at Upton Park.

What could possibly go wrong with that :lol:

There have been no trains on Boxing Day since the early 1960s so that's the problem solved :)

The 26th is annoying because now I'll have to go to my partner's Mum's in the day as the evening kick off means there will be enough time to drive the hour back here for the match.

The TV schedulers really don't think about things like that.

Just as you don't think about the tv schedulers.

Anyway...

"Boxing Day is a secular holiday that is traditionally celebrated on 26 December, the day after Christmas Day. 26 December is also St. Stephen's Day, a religious holiday.

In the UK, Boxing Day is a bank holiday. If Boxing Day falls on a Saturday, the following Monday is given as a substitute bank holiday.

On the occasion when Christmas Day is on a Saturday and 26 December on a Sunday, the following Monday, 27 December, is the substitute bank holiday for Boxing Day and Tuesday, 28 December, the substitute bank holiday for Christmas Day."

IIRC the conclusion was that Saturday 26th was Boxing Day but Sunday 26th wasn't because Boxing Day couldn't be on a Sunday.

Anyway, if we could all just refer to 26th and 28th that'll be just great.

Though it would be nice to know which day the trains aren't running. :)

There have been no trains on Boxing Day since the early 1960s so that's the problem solved :)

But game is Dec 28th and trains are running normally !!

Just no train for Arsenal which was obvious when fixture list was announced in June, as never any trains Christmas day and Dec 26th

Just no train for Arsenal which was obvious when fixture list was announced in June, as never any trains Christmas day and Dec 26th

Yes indeed, I was thinking of the Arsenal game.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/84237.aspx

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/106437.aspx

Also, any of us AFCB lot going to the Arsenal match from the BH area are on buses until Airport P'way!

I doubt it will be a riot, but I can see a few old flashpoints etc etc. Do you think the authorities have looked it over and thought it will be ok? Is it likely to get changed?

I have spent countless thousands of pounds and years of my time searching for the perfect woman. Only now do I discover that I never found her because you had her.

You utter utter utter utter utter utter utter utter git.

Your wife sounds better than mine :x

I know there will be a good few that won't go I could well be one of them as Boxing Day is generally a family get together day I along with a number of people I have spoken to would like to see the club make a stand and say no we will not play at that time but they won't because TV money talks.

I have a stupid American question. Why are no trains running on Dec 25 and 26?

I have a stupid American question. Why are no trains running on Dec 25 and 26?

In the UK these are much more of a public holiday than they are over there. Christmas Day in particular is sacrosanct nowadays. Ever since New Year's Day became a Bank Holiday in 1973 Britain has become a dead zone over the end of December with many companies shutting down completely from a few days before Christmas until well into the New Year. It's a bit like Chinese New Year in China but without all the fun. The railway track maintenance companies take the opportunity to do extended works with bus replacement services in many places.

http://www.express.co.uk/comment/expresscomment/548793/Boxing-day-travel-chaos-Rail-companies-shut-down

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-509192/Trains-set-run-Christmas-Day-Boxing-Day-time-1960s.html

Anyone know what Red Funnel services are running on 26th and 28th? I can't find any info online.

This says that they run all year round:

http://www.redfunnel.co.uk/ferry-travel/passenger-vehicle-ferry-service/

But it might be a bit of a rush for the last boat back :eek: last year the last boat left at 18:00

http://www.redfunnel.co.uk/library/pdfs/timetables/vehicle-ferry-timetables/2014/j00006_xmas_2014_vehicle_ferry_tt_final.pdf

Edited by Whitey Grandad