Who will eventually replace Pelle?

ozzmeister

With Pelle 31 this year we probably need to start thinking about succession planning over the next couple of years. Who do people think can adequately take over the lone striker/target man role. In my opinion me need someone big, good first touch, can be a playmaker but who will still score 15+ goals a season.

Is anyone ready who we already have on the books:

- JRod - is lone striker his natural position, he's very different to Pelle but Martial is maybe similar to Jay and plays lone striker

- Jumani (spelling) - haven't seen much of but again looks more of a pacey run on to flick ins kind of player

- Sam Gallagher - has the hight and seems to play a typical Pelle role but still very young, not sure he will be ready to be the main man for a few more years

So based on the above to we need to look a bit more outside the club, people like Charlie Austin, Adam Campbell at Newcastle, or that young Chlsea lad. I'm sure there's some very good foreign options to, or anyone from the recent international?

Gallagher, like all our loanees, is never going to make it at SFC. Just trying to find a club that will take him off us.

What a bit like Spurs did with Harry Kane !

Give the lad time, he scored for England under 20's earlier in the week, so must be doing something right to be picked for them

Has Sam Gallagher even done anything at MK Dons?

He started in the team but I think he has been used more from the bench recently.

I did note this in the BBC report of their match at home to Leeds where they lost 1-2.

Karl Robinson's side then had their best chance to go ahead as Hall's shot was tipped onto the woodwork by Silverstri but Sam Gallagher somehow smashed the rebound over.

What a bit like Spurs did with Harry Kane !

Give the lad time, he scored for England under 20's earlier in the week, so must be doing something right to be picked for them

I'd agree with you that he needs time, and I certainly wouldn't write him off as I was quite impressed with his early performances , before his family breavement and injury disrupted his progress.

On the subject of Kane though I got the impression Poch was trying to offload him for a while, but was almost 'shamed' into playing him after he kept scoring in the Europa League. Now of course Poch is happy to take the credit.

.. and then seldom playing at Middlesbrough...

every manager experiments with players / formations and a quick look at the Championship table will tell you that the 'boro manger is doing something right....

......so he's not going to change a side with such a good starting line-up just to give Stephens a run-out for our sakes.

....If Stephens continues to impress and get a bench place - his time will come in the event of injuries /suspensions to the regular CB....

With Pelle 31 this year we probably need to start thinking about succession planning over the next couple of years. Who do people think can adequately take over the lone striker/target man role. In my opinion me need someone big, good first touch, can be a playmaker but who will still score 15+ goals a season. Is anyone ready who we already have on the books:

- JRod - is lone striker his natural position, he's very different to Pelle but Martial is maybe similar to Jay and plays lone striker

- Jumani (spelling) - haven't seen much of but again looks more of a pacey run on to flick ins kind of player

- Sam Gallagher - has the height and seems to play a typical Pelle role but still very young, not sure he will be ready to be the main man for a few more years

The day we replace Pelle MAY be a long way off yet. Don't forget it took Rickie Lambert time to improve his game after he cam eto Saints....and he continued to improve.

The one thing these two have in common is that thye have spent most of their playing time .at a lower level than the Prem. but have learned alot along the way.

Pelle has now become a genuine threat to many Prem. sides and his presence causes a lot of problems for them.

As for his replacement?......a lot of us would like to think it would be Jay Rod who will have had a goodly number of Prem.games under his belt by then, and may be his successor.

Whatever the outcome ...IMO opinion it ought to be another tough, 6 foot-plusser who can hold his own up top, and get goals and make assists.

Howveerr, there may still be another surprise ( type Pelle) lurking in the European leagues, and surprise us all .

There have been many anti-Austin comments in various threads since the summer, but no-one has seriously and effectively analysed what his weaknesses might be to support their comments..

Clubs don't seemed to be queuing up to buy him though do they? £15m isn't a huge amount of money for a striker but they seem to think him overpriced.

But that doesn't answer my point. He can't be that bad to score the goals he has.

Got the goals last term, but QPR want too much for a one season show - who is to say he will be consistent? Also weren't there reports about his medical condition (seem to remember West Ham chairman mentioning that he failed a medical or something).

BTW, funny that Pelle is now irreplaceable as when he joined and recently people thought he was pants, and needed to be dropped particularly away from home! Maybe we will find an equally good donkey when Pelle eventually needs replacing??

On the subject of Kane though I got the impression Poch was trying to offload him for a while, but was almost 'shamed' into playing him after he kept scoring in the Europa League. Now of course Poch is happy to take the credit.

I'm not sure if he was ever trying to offload him (because I simply don't know), but you're absolutely correct about Kane being treated with indifference by Poch. They (the stands/fans) were screaming for him to play for months, singing his name endlessly, etc, before he supplanted Adebayor/Soldado. Not that it's not Poch's prerogative to play who he wishes.

But that doesn't answer my point. He can't be that bad to score the goals he has.

don't know that anyone suggested he was " bad ", but £15 million is a big ask for an English player now in the Championship.......

BUT....if one of the " big teams " gets a major injury problem around New Year, they'll fork out the readies to fill that space in their squad.

" One season successes " like Loic Remy get bought up and " disappear " into the myriad players fighting for a first team bench place.

They shouldn't expect a regular starting place in the new club, but it harms the chances of the team they have left.. who lose their " star " player.

QPR without Austin - would be fighting relegation from the Championship by the end of April.

.....Who do people think can adequately take over the lone striker/target man role. In my opinion me need someone big, good first touch, can be a playmaker but who will still score 15+ goals a season.

That's your opinion. My mate thinks we need a clumsy midget with no vision and who couldn't hit a cow's arse from 3 yards. Do others agree? Do we have anyone on the books like this, or will we have to buy one?

Woah lets write everyone off who has n't ripped up the world by the time they have turned 20 shall we?

I've not read one of your stroppy teenage bit ch-fests about Dusan Tadic for a while. Why not bang another one of them out for us.

There have been many anti-Austin comments in various threads since the summer, but no-one has seriously and effectively analysed what his weaknesses might be to support their comments..

That could be due to the libel laws. If someone suggested he had a cocaine habit, for example, that might put the forum in a difficult position.

I'd be interested to see if he's sued the West Ham owner for the comments about his knee.