Lloyd Isgrove to Barnsley on loan

VectisSaint

Another player who you makes you wonder why on earth they were given a new contract.

Never going to be good enough for the premier league

I think this is a P.C. thing on the club's agenda.

Many of these players have been with the club since their junior school days, and then to suddenly put them on the "scrapheap" of Free Transfers- because just when they get past the U21 stage...and (in Isgrove's case) he isn't as good as Sadio Mane :scared:...is really cruel, and harmful to the players confidence.

He deserves a chance to get real game time and IF he eventually moves on " big time "- we'll get development costs from the deal - if no sell-on fee.

If he doesn't improve and come back as a contender, he will at least have a good CV for the Championship / L1 level ...and be able to kick-start his career.

Edited by david in sweden

• 3 months later...
I think this is a P.C. thing on the club's agenda.

Many of these players have been with the club since their junior school days, and then to suddenly put them on the "scrapheap" of Free Transfers- because just when they get past the U21 stage...and (in Isgrove's case) he isn't as good as Sadio Mane :scared:...is really cruel, and harmful to the players confidence.

He deserves a chance to get real game time and IF he eventually moves on " big time "- we'll get development costs from the deal - if no sell-on fee.

If he doesn't improve and come back as a contender, he will at least have a good CV for the Championship / L1 level ...and be able to kick-start his career.

In which case it's got sod all to do with "P.C." and everything to do with ensuring we profit from our training outlay if the player is sold in the future. Plus they're probably relatively cheap to retain and they know their chances of breaking into the Prem somewhere are better staying with us and maybe getting a break, than if they drop down permanently and have to work their way back up.

It's interesting to see how Klopp has immediately committed to playing Liverpool kids in the FA Cup to get a decent look at them and seems to be persisting with the likes of Ibe and Texeira on a more regular basis. They're still basically where we are in the table, but without us progressing our kids through the first team at the moment.

Never understood the way we treat him.

I rate him.

He's not good enough to start consistently in the Premier League for a Saints team that would finish in the top half on anything he's done so far. Should have a decent career at Championship level though.

Never understood the way we treat him.

I rate him.

He was nothing special against Fleetwood last night when Barnsley bottled it meaning I didn't win £60 in the process. Definitely not close to Prem standard and he's really getting too old to make it there with us now (not discounting a Vardy/Austin-esque rise from the lower leagues in the future)...

• 1 month later...
Just got called into Welsh squad i see

Seeing as they're missing Bale, Ramsey, James Collins, Paul Dummett, Dave Edwards and Andy King and have named a 26-man squad, he makes it pretty much by virtue of existing at a League One or above standard.

Seems to get regular starts and do well ..at Barnsley. :rolleyes:.. which if not geographically ...then quality-wise... is light years away from the required Prem. standard.

Those rare games I've seen him in ..at least you see he's on the pitch, but the real question for Lloyd, and players like Turnbull (second season at Swindon) is ....

.....Do I want to go back to SMS, and hope to get an occasional place on the bench?...or get regular football at a lower level ....and hope to become " a late developer ".

IF ....he were still at SMS..and we had another major injury crisis, he'd get a chance to show his form...otherwise Barnsley may become his next permanent address.

If he isn't OOC in the summer (?)......then he could go for a modest sum and (hopefully) a juicy sell-on fee - in case he does come good in the future.

Thought Isgrove was quite bright on his international debut tonight. Probably needs a couple of injuries to make the 23 though.

Davis played well tonight too.

Strangely I just watched the entire thing and didn't even notice he'd come on. He's barely in the top 30.

Must have been weird for Davis and Joe Allen to play against each other again so soon.

Hasn't he always identified as Welsh though, playing for their youth sides?

He was in the U21s, yeah. I'm still waiting for someone to clarify how he qualifies online, the FAW are usually pretty quick on that sort of thing in their match programme so it might get onto their website in the next few months....

He was in the U21s, yeah.

I'm still waiting for someone to clarify how he qualifies online, the FAW are usually pretty quick on that sort of thing in their match programme so it might get onto their website in the next few months....

no explanations yet, I see , but if he wasn't actually born in the principality... he probably has a parent, or grandparent who was.

.but knowing how difficult it is for Wales to get a quality squad (the likes of Giggs and Bale excepted)...a day trip to Porthcawl might also qualify someone for the squad.:lol:

no explanations yet, I see , but if he wasn't actually born in the principality... he probably has a parent, or grandparent who was.

Well if he doesn't it might be a bit of a problem (Cascarino aside). PS people in Wales get very narky about calling it a principality since they got some Assembly powers (which is one of the reasons the renaming of the Millennium Stadium after the biggest welsh building society is funny).

• 1 month later...
Isgrove played today as Barnsley booked a League One play-off spot.

Coupled with winning the JPT, it's been a good move for him.

Pleased for him, but he's over age for the U21 's and won't get much of a look-in for our first team.

If Barnsley get the extra Championship spot, they might persuade him to sign for them.

Looks like he is set for his 2nd Wembley appearance of the season, and his third in 3 years (2 winners medals in the JPT and Tykes 3-0 up after 1st leg of play-off SF).

Wonder what will happen to him next season, if we qualify for Europe again will we keep him to bolster our home trained numbers? He didn't qualify as an u21 this season, so effectively will be an u23 next. 2 appearances for Saints so far, doesn't seem like he is ever going to break through.

Looks like he is set for his 2nd Wembley appearance of the season, and his third in 3 years (2 winners medals in the JPT and Tykes 3-0 up after 1st leg of play-off SF).

Wonder what will happen to him next season, if we qualify for Europe again will we keep him to bolster our home trained numbers? He didn't qualify as an u21 this season, so effectively will be an u23 next. 2 appearances for Saints so far, doesn't seem like he is ever going to break through.

we shouldnt need to bolster our trained numbers, surely?

We only have jwp otherwise.

Forster

Romeu (maybe)

Bertrand

Rodriguez

Long (maybe not)

Austin

Gazzaniga (maybe)

Reed

Fonte (maybe)

Targett

Hesketh

gallagher

surely they are in the pot?

Edited by Batman

Forster

Romeu (maybe)

Bertrand

Rodriguez

Long (maybe not)

Austin

Gazzaniga (maybe)

Reed

Fonte (maybe)

Targett

Hesketh

gallagher

surely they are in the pot?

OK, so clearly you have no idea about home-trained rules for UEFA competitions. Having checked we do have Jack Stephens, Jordan Turnbull and Dom Gape who will not be u21 next season. So that would be 5, only 4 needed for UEFA, assuming we qualify of course, so guessing Issy will likely be on his way.

OK, so clearly you have no idea about home-trained rules for UEFA competitions. Having checked we do have Jack Stephens, Jordan Turnbull and Dom Gape who will not be u21 next season. So that would be 5, only 4 needed for UEFA, assuming we qualify of course, so guessing Issy will likely be on his way.

what are the rules then?

4 club trained

4 association trained?

easily fill both

Edited by Batman

• 2 weeks later...

"Wembley" is his middle name. Just can't stay away from the place. Really proud of him and what he's achieving out on loan.

Lloyd has aleady established himself as a legend and is a pride to Southampton Football Club.

Hope Mister Coleman was watching and gives him a call. Well. done Lloyd.

Think it would be good for all parties if he remained on loan there next season. Has done well in the lower leagues, but needs to good performance in the Championship with 20+ games under his belt in my opinion. That would be the next step in his progression and give the club a better idea if its worth continuing with him or look to sell.