Liverpool 1-1 Saints - Reaction

Lighthouse

Man of the Match v Liverpool  

342 members have voted

1. 1. Man of the Match v Liverpool

Good result, and a fair one too I think. Pellè poor, good game from the defence, especially VvD and Bertrand.

Mané's sending off is annoying but entirely his fault - I'm just impressed neither of his yellows were for diving!

Incidentally this is the first draw between the two sides since another 1-1 at Anfield in January 2002. Owen and Davies with the goals that day.

Is Mane banned for Villa or Bournemouth?

Milner is banned for the LC game for his yellow, so I'd assume it's the same for Mané

Good point, good performance although with better final passes a win was there for us.

Clasie pretty good, Van Dijk outstanding again and Ramirez was good when he came on, excellent technique and on that form we should look to actually use him.

Cedric has had good games away to Chelsea and Liverpool which is pleasing.

Proper GK makes such a difference too.

Mane sending off silly but back for Bournemouth. If no Jay Rod then it gives Juanmi or Ramirez a start on Weds.

good result. Fair result.

VvD my MoM. Benteke, really? What the actual F**K??

the klopp love-in make me want to puke. Even using klopp cam when we f-ing scored. just **** off sky?

hopefully, mane will only miss the villa game

high five to Gaston when he came on, looked very decent. An assist too

Always happy to come away from Anfield with something so yeah, happy with the result. 2 stupid yellows for Mane, no good blaming the ref in that instance, ask yourself what was Mane thinking? Still I'm 99% sure he misses the villa game so it'll be nice to have a fit Mane with a point to prove next weekend.

Another unbeaten league game....... We march on.

Good knock back by Gaston for the goa,l silly sending off for Mane he will miss the Villa game but at least he will be fresh to rip Bompy apart, draw about the right result. How the feck was Benteke man of the match.

Edited by Toomer

1st half thought we were good. Van dijkstra had a good chance. 2nd half was very frustrating as we seemed poor with little ambition till after they scored. Got out of jail with mane goal. Sending off unfortunate but having mane rested for next league game might be handy. Gaston was excellent when he came on, hopefully he gets start against villa. Juanmi continues to look off the pace of the premiership.

Hand on heart I was planning to come on here to say that we actually did OK when we were 1-0 down and of course, assuming that would be the final score.

Individual players were poor going forward (Tadic, Pelle, Bertrand) but the spine of the team VVD/Fonte/Clasie/Wanyama did reasonably well.

Stekelenburg is fast becoming a vital player for us. He may not quite be the CL-level shotstopper that he was 5-6 years ago but his experience, distribution, communication and organisation improves our entire defensive set-up no end compared to the absolute catastrophe that is Kelvin Davis or Paulo Gazzaniga.

I was going to point out that if you don't score, you can't complain when one moment of magic is all that it takes to beat you, but its great to nick the point that our performance merited.

We really weren't that bad today at all, and like I say I'd have said the same even if we didn't nick the equaliser.

Oh and a very well done to Gaston as well. Great header for the assist and a fantastic run from our left-back position to fashion a very decent chance for Pelle. I personally think he deserves a genuine run in the team at some point (hopefully at the expense of the perpetually useless Tadic).

Finally, am I right in thinking that Mane will use up his red card in the cup against Villa in midweek? If so I couldn't care less about it so long as he doesn't repeat the mistake. Says he made 'two stupid fouls' in the post-match interview so sounds like he knows.

Onward and upward! I honestly thought we'd be fighting relegation after the Midgetland and Everton defeats and it looks like I'll be completely wrong. Good-o.

Good point, good performance although with better final passes a win was there for us.

Clasie pretty good, Van Dijk outstanding again and Ramirez was good when he came on, excellent technique and on that form we should look to actually use him.

Cedric has had good games away to Chelsea and Liverpool which is pleasing.

Proper GK makes such a difference too.

Mane sending off silly but back for Bournemouth. If no Jay Rod then it gives Juanmi or Ramirez a start on Weds.

Pretty much sums up what I thought of it. Clasie was a good surprise, expected him to be rusty but lasted longer than I thought he would and made a sound impression. Cedric improving and delighted to see Stek back although he didn't have that much to do but bred confidence in those in front of him which was missing from the Leicester game.

Excellent cameo from Gaston, with Mane's daft sending off has he convinced Ronald to get the nod Weds night ahead of Juanmi? Romeu may well come in for Victor for the Villa game too. Means Mane will be fresh to terrorise Distin next weekend though which could be fun! With the competition in forward areas - and still Long to return, it means J Rod doesn't have to rush his progress to full match sharpness.

Special mention for VVD and Fonte - both outstanding.

I thought we were poor tonight which is all the more reason to be pleased with the result.

Milner shown too much respect for their goal.

Benteke MOTM? Do me a favour. VVD was excellent for us in the middle. Shame it wasn't him marking Benteke for the goal.

Cedric, Wanyama, Clasie all put in decent shifts and a good cameo from Ramirez.

Lallana was ****ing awful. £25,000,000.

1st half thought we were good. Van dijkstra had a good chance. 2nd half was very frustrating as we seemed poor with little ambition till after they scored. Got out of jail with mane goal. Sending off unfortunate but having mane rested for next league game might be handy. Gaston was excellent when he came on, hopefully he gets start against villa. Juanmi continues to look off the pace of the premiership.

Van Dijkstra's header in the first half was a great chance, he looks a threat from every set play.

Some people are saying Lallana was poor against us today, I don't agree as he caused some problems with his link-up play but his shooting hasn't improved since he was at SMS! It's what holds him back from making the jump from decent PL player to very good, along with his stamina.

Benteke, even half-fit, is a different proposition though, he's a monster. Glad we got at least a point though, we deserved that. One in the eye for Sky and the obsession with Klopp. They could do OK if Benteke stays fit but he's got a lot of Rodgers' rubbish to chuck in the bin.

Even though he made two silly fouls to get a red card, I was thinking earlier in the game (even before he scored) that Mané's work rate and willingness to put his foot in is another string to his bow - he actually wins the ball back for us quite a lot.

Didn't think Tadic had a great game, but when he went off we lost our shape. Given JWP had just come on, was disappointed at times he lacked a bit of energy to press.

Thought our back four were excellent, all in the running for my MOTM. Full backs would miss out on account of their final ball when they got forward. Fonte misses out because he let Benteke get across him, but it was nevertheless a great header from Benteke. That leaves VVD, he was outstanding again. Certainly encouraging that we looked a pretty good team out there today.

Clasie looked much improved from last week and had a decent game. Well done to Ramirez, a great leap and a well directed header over Mignolet for Mane. Only one game suspension served by cup game. Back four very good, caught out for the goal, no pressure from midfield on Milner, VVD played Benteke onside but great header same as last Villa game at SMS.

A good result, Stekelenberg was a big difference from last week. Soares had a good game however Juanmi needs game time as very much off the pace. He needs game time, maybe Wednesday.

Clasie looked much improved from last week and had a decent game. Well done to Ramirez, a great leap and a well directed header over Mignolet for Mane. Only one game suspension served by cup game. Back four very good, caught out for the goal, no pressure from midfield on Milner, VVD played Benteke onside but great header same as last Villa game at SMS.

A good result, Stekelenberg was a big difference from last week. Soares had a good game however Juanmi needs game time as very much off the pace. He needs game time, maybe Wednesday.

Juanmi showed why he hasnt got a look in so far, physically he isn't up to PL football at the moment. Even JWP would out muscle him.

Hopefully he starts on Wednesday as clearly a talent but will take time to adjust.

Saints Klip Klopp

Claise got better as the game went on. He could be another good signing when fully up to speed. Thought we looked solid defensively but a bit not really clicking going forward today, a draw was a fair result I think. Great to get a point after going behind so late to what to be fair was a very good goal

(hopefully at the expense of the perpetually useless Tadic).
01)Was Tadic playing on the right again? why?!

02) VvD played well, wish he had put that first half header to the far post, Andy Carroll style. Minolet was already leaning near post, would have never gotten there.

03) Cedric continues to improve. He has cemented his spot at RB

04) Clasie acquitted himself well; solid, if unspectacular.

05) Pelle seemed to be more engaged with the referee than the match at hand.

06) Davis was quiet.

07) Stek didn't have much to do. Nothing could have been done on that Benteke header. Kicked well.

08) Inspired substitutions from Koeman - very positive.

09) Mane out for Villa is hopefully not a big deal. They are in disarray.

10) Romeu starts on Wednesday?

I posted the rather sweeping comment after last week's game that I thought fitness was an issue, but after watching today's game I'd like to revise it.

I think Wanyama's fitness might be an issue. Last week I thought his second half drop-off was due to his first half yellow card but today he didn't have that excuse, although he did take a knock.

Maybe I'm seeing something that's not there but he seems to me to be a much less effective player after half time, and the drop-off in that "powerhouse" element really hurts our defensive midfield.

I'd still pick him every game, of course, but I'd like to see better second halves from him.

Thought Pelle was terrible (certainly not one of the best target men in world football looking at that)

mane was wasteful at times too

defence were very good, clasie grew into the game

Your hatred of Pelle clouds your judgement he kept Sakho and Skirtel busy all afternoon they are beasts. He wasn't as good as some games but terrible !!!! FFS give it a rest.

Cedric/Bertrand/VVD/Fonte did well. BigVic and Clasie held them to 2 shots on target.

Koemans subs were good today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A great point at Anfield. We deserved it as we kept the pressure on until the end.

Good news that Clasie seems to be fitting in better now, and with Gaston in the mix again gives us plenty of options.

Van Dijk continues to look like a super buy.

Only have Solent and whispering Dave to go on but I thought it was a very entertaining game between two solid mid table sides both giving it a go.

Mane was stupid but I think it's a little unfair seeing as the ref seemed to happy to let things go in the first half I always think refs set the tone early in the game he was happy to let Skertel get away with some fouls on Pelle first half with not a word.

Both sides could have won if the had been more clinical in front of goal can't work out why Pelle seems to perform poorly away from home (Chelsea game aside).

Oh yeah thought Jordy had a decent game think he will improve with more game time.

Juanmi showed why he hasnt got a look in so far, physically he isn't up to PL football at the moment. Even JWP would out muscle him.

Hopefully he starts on Wednesday as clearly a talent but will take time to adjust.

I saw in that Sam Wallace article in the Telegraph (and he seemed to have the inside track on saints) That the Club bought Juanmi as one for the future. So I guess he will be introduced slowly as the season goes on and the coaching staff have worked on him?