Gay Premier Leauge players?

W9Saint

So according to the Mirror two premier league players are preparing to come out? If one of them was a Saints player will anyone care less and will fans rally around and be supportive? Also would you advise them to come out or stay in the closet? Intrigued to know general concensus as a gay guy myself.

So according to the Mirror two premier league players are preparing to come out? If one of them was a Saints player will anyone care less and will fans rally around and be supportive? Also would you advise them to come out or stay in the closet? Intrigued to know general concensus as a gay guy myself.

Don't care what they get up to, it's their private life. I reckon I know of one gay PL footballer (allegedly) and that's from a second-hand source... not that it matters tbh.

They'll be some small-minded knobbers who'd go on and on and on and on about it and probably still chant but that's more down to them most likely being repressed sexually themselves more than anything. I think it'll be rough for the first couple who do come out but at least they'll be able to light the path for any others... hopefully, their won't be a big song-and-dance about it in fallout afterwards as well. That'll be annoying.

The best thing that could happen is everyone goes "oh, him? oh ok then" and we all get on with our lives, even more so the player(s) coming out.

Sorry about the typo (league) - I blame it on the post match beers! I agree with the who cares" but it is a brave guy(s) who pave the way. My fella is also a Saints man (born in Hythe) & as he's called Rich Lambert I guess it's appropriate.

I think you'll find Saints supporters are a more moderate bunch than others around the country. I think it's great they're coming out, and I hope it their own decision to do so, and being done under their terms. I think it's a big moment in football's development that should be celebrated. I think any abuse from fans should involve life bans, but maybe people are a bit more relaxed about these days....you never know! If it's a Saints player, I think they'd get a standing ovation - I'd be enormously proud.

Why is it great they are coming out? It makes me laugh how many people on the one hand go on about how no one cares what they get up to but at the same time give the patronising "oh isn't it great, they're so brave" clearly people do care as it needs this massive unveiling built up for days in the media and people feel the need to congratulate them on their "bravery". guess what, it's not 1943 anymore, they aren't going to be banged up for telling everyone they're gay. The most they'll get is a bit of #bantz from the bantologists on the terraces which will no doubt include a hilariously witty song to the tune of sloop john b. I imagine that'll be limited though as most people these days are desperate to prove what lovely people they are. So let's all celebrate this, its amazing they're coming out, give them a good round of applause when we next see them what a fantastic moment for football. remember we don't care though, it's no ones business what they do in their spare time, no one needs to make a big deal out of it, it doesn't matter if they're gay or straight etc etc.

That would be fine and dandy, Turks, in a world where homophobia didn't exist. But unfortunately it does. Much as you try and dismiss in as #bantz.

You're right Lou, I really, really hope one of the gay players is a Saints player, it would be amazing. But I'd just like to remind everyone (yet again) that I don't care what they do in their spare time, it makes no odds to me that they're gay at all, it's none of my business and in 2015 it shouldn't make any difference. but what I'd like to do is announce that I'm proud of having a gay player in my team and making a point of accepting them openly, isn't it great we've got such great fans who would accept a gay player so easily, even though they are just like you and me. Because homophobia is wrong and it would be wrong to make a point of their sexuality, or something.

You're right Lou, I really, really hope one of the gay players is a Saints player, it would be amazing. But I'd just like to remind everyone (yet again) that I don't care what they do in their spare time, it makes no odds to me that they're gay at all, it's none of my business and in 2015 it shouldn't make any difference. but what I'd like to do is announce that I'm proud of having a gay player in my team and making a point of accepting them openly, isn't it great we've got such great fans who would accept a gay player so easily, even though they are just like you and me. Because homophobia is wrong and it would be wrong to make a point of their sexuality, or something.

Surely it would be better if there was a collective shrug of shoulders and we got on with supporting the team including that player rather than making a huge show of "accepting them openly?" Personally I couldn't think of much worse than a collective show of faux acceptance when just treating them like everyone else would be much more of a compliment IMO.

Edit: I just saw this post was by Turkish :)

Not sure why you feel so proud having someone gay play for Saints, Turks. A bit right on, but ok, up to you.

Now if you were to say you would feel proud if one if our players had the balls to come out, in a sport that has traditionally demonstrated homophobia, then I'd agree with you. But you didn't.

I would hope that most right-thinking people will agree that homophobia is obnoxious and long past its due 'sell-buy' date. Those of us who live their daily lives out in the real world however will know that this form of prejudice is still quite commonplace in both our workplaces and in wider society. I for one wish that were not so.

Therefore, even in this relatively enlighten day and age I think those in the public eye, such as Premier League footballers, who make a point of openly revealing their sexuality do still deserve some degree of praise for that display of what is afterall 'moral courage' methinks. The world may indeed be changing in this respect - that does not mean that the odd 'push' in the right direction is no longer required.

I agree with you, Hypo (did I just say that?)

But you'd have to guarantee a display of nonchalance across the board. I'm happy to wait and see if that happens before I make any assumptions.

There will be a load of pomp and a big public display with talking faces queuing up to say how brave it is and how wonderful. It will be sickening.

Lol. Hypo couldn't hack me agreeing with him, so had to revert to type! I might try agreeing with him more often!

We are making the same point are we not? We both agree that the optimal response is to act like it is normal and that nothing will happen but we both know that will not be the case. It isn't the act of being gay that is sickening, rather the fawning from celebs and the media about what is really nothing to get worked up about. I'd love it if a footballer just went out and kissed their boyfriend in a nightclub and then refused to discuss it further. Much more of a statement than having a coming out ceremony IMO.

I would hope that most right-thinking people will agree that homophobia is obnoxious and long past its due 'sell-buy' date. Those of us who live their daily lives out in the real world however will know that this form of prejudice is still quite commonplace in both our workplaces and in wider society. I for one wish that were not so.

Therefore, even in this relatively enlighten day and age I think those in the public eye, such as Premier League footballers, who make a point of openly revealing their sexuality do still deserve some degree of praise for that display of what is afterall 'moral courage' methinks. The world may indeed be changing in this respect - that does not mean that the odd 'push' in the right direction is no longer required.

It really isn't. Unless you've been hanging around the wrong pubs or EDL rallies I'd say homophobia is pretty isolated these days.

I'm not sure what circles you mix in but I rarely if ever see big public displays of homophobia. As with all these things though, if you are desperate to be offended and go looking for this stuff then you tend to find it. Rather like the "does your boyfriend" chant, whilst being unoriginal and boring is clearly not homophobic- context is always key with this stuff.

It really isn't. Unless you've been hanging around the wrong pubs or EDL rallies I'd say homophobia is pretty isolated these days.

Oh at my age I'm seldom to be seen in pubs and never at EDL rallies my friend. I must repeat that in my personal experience homophobia is still quite commonplace in this nation. I will concede however that perhaps if you spend most of your time surrounded by the younger generation then you might form a different opinion on that.

I'm not sure what circles you mix in but I rarely if ever see big public displays of homophobia. As with all these things though, if you are desperate to be offended and go looking for this stuff then you tend to find it. Rather like the "does your boyfriend" chant, whilst being unoriginal and boring is clearly not homophobic- context is always key with this stuff.

Well I never claimed that homophobes held mass meetings on Poole Quay every Friday! That is very obviously not the same thing as saying the problem does not still exist.

Gay footballer bingo anyone? I've always had a feeling the Ox might swing the other way

The worst thing about this is when one of them does come out a massive deal will be made out of it when really that's what shouldnt be done as it's just a normal thing in modern society and everyone knows percentages say at least half a dozen or so playing in the premier league will be gay

Many footballers seem to have awful taste in women so it'd be weird if people judge them for liking men instead. Who cares.

But I imagine the reaction would be the player's club's fans being very supportive, most opposition fans being fine, but the media focusing on the very obvious reaction from some away fans being dicks about it, which they will. Will take a while for fans to get bored of the novelty. I mean fans including our own still make gay comments at brighton fans and think that's hilarious. Because what could be more camp than fat bald middle aged men in stripey football shirts right.

I think there is a difference between mocking gay people and mocking straight people by suggesting they are gay. Those songs aimed at Brighton fans fall into the latter category but are they really offensive? Is playing on the insecurities of straight people by suggesting they are gay actually homophobic? I would say not.

I think there is a difference between mocking gay people and mocking straight people by suggesting they are gay. Those songs aimed at Brighton fans fall into the latter category but are they really offensive? Is playing on the insecurities of straight people by suggesting they are gay actually homophobic? I would say not.

I suppose you could say it was homophobic in the sense that you are saying there is something wrong in being gay. If there isn't why even bother going there?

I suppose you could say it was homophobic in the sense that you are saying there is something wrong in being gay. If there isn't why even bother going there?

Or they are playing on the insecurities of the Brighton fans by suggesting that they would see a problem with being gay? It's a sh*t chant though.

Because there is a big difference between hating gay people and not wanting the world to think you are gay. I think most straight people would fall into the latter category but that wouldn't make them homophobic.

But what I am saying is if there is nothing "wrong" with being gay, why bother if people think you are? It isn't a question of hating gays, it is a question of it being a pejorative term and a form of abuse. Most of us happen, I assume, to be white. A football crowd here wouldn't chant Your White And You know You Are. Why? Because it is not understood as a term of abuse. Calling someone gay when they are not is seen by some still as a form of abuse otherwise why do it?

But what I am saying is if there is nothing "wrong" with being gay, why bother if people think you are? It isn't a question of hating gays, it is a question of it being a pejorative term and a form of abuse. Most of us happen, I assume, to be white. A football crowd here wouldn't chant Your White And You know You Are. Why? Because it is not understood as a term of abuse. Calling someone gay when they are not is seen by some still as a form of abuse otherwise why do it?

I would prefer people to think I am fantastic at art even though I'm hopeless. There is nothing wrong with people thinking I am bad at art, I would just prefer that they didn't think that of me.

Firstly, it doesn't actually bother me but I don't actively want people to think I am gay because that's not who I am.

It's the same as if you were going out with some mates and one of them spent ages putting all sort of products in his hair. This would often lead to jokes about putting his lipstick on, don't forget your handbag etc. etc. Is that being sexist, suggesting that you hate women in some way because you tease a mate for acting like one?

I don't think your analogy about singing, "you're white and you know you are," makes any sense, perhaps I've missed the point. The closest thing I can think of is white guys who act like black men, wearing tacky flash jewellery, listening to rap music and talking like you're from a ghetto in Kingston. I believe the term is 'wigger' and even black people use it to mock white people who behave like this.

I always thought the chants towards Brighton are playing on the stereotype about them being a town full of gay people rather than mocking someone for being gay.

I always thought the chants towards Brighton are playing on the stereotype about them being a town full of gay people rather than mocking someone for being gay.

Clearly it's meant to be insulting otherwise the population of gay people in Brighton would be of no relevance at all. Football fans aren't generally interested in the demographics of the town of cities of the opposition unless there is something there which can be used to mock and ridicule.

Except within the Church and also some Muslim countries - where it still carries the death penalty.

We aren't talking about Monday night fives in Texas or the Iranian Premier League though. This is Britain 2015 where 97% of people don't go to church and only a tiny percentage of those who do still hold on to the whole 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' ideology.

I don't see why anyone would be afraid of coming out because of a handful of out-dated, hypocrite Bishops who are secretly bumming the choir boys.

Firstly, it doesn't actually bother me but I don't actively want people to think I am gay because that's not who I am.

It's the same as if you were going out with some mates and one of them spent ages putting all sort of products in his hair. This would often lead to jokes about putting his lipstick on, don't forget your handbag etc. etc. Is that being sexist, suggesting that you hate women in some way because you tease a mate for acting like one?

I don't think your analogy about singing, "you're white and you know you are," makes any sense, perhaps I've missed the point. The closest thing I can think of is white guys who act like black men, wearing tacky flash jewellery, listening to rap music and talking like you're from a ghetto in Kingston. I believe the term is 'wigger' and even black people use it to mock white people who behave like this.

My point about the white chant is that the whole point of giving abuse is to use terms that are deemed abusive. If it was no big deal about being gay then why chant about it because there would be no point. I think ribbing someone about tarting themselves up is very different to abusing someone for their sexuality.

Surely it would be better if there was a collective shrug of shoulders and we got on with supporting the team including that player rather than making a huge show of "accepting them openly?" Personally I couldn't think of much worse than a collective show of faux acceptance when just treating them like everyone else would be much more of a compliment IMO.

Edit: I just saw this post was by Turkish :)

Have to say I agree with this. There is so much hypocrisy about this kind of ****, it winds me up. Being gay isn't a big deal, but lets make an enormous deal about them coming out.

My point about the white chant is that the whole point of giving abuse is to use terms that are deemed abusive. If it was no big deal about being gay then why chant about it because there would be no point. I think ribbing someone about tarting themselves up is very different to abusing someone for their sexuality.

The thing is with Brighton fans it's not actually their sexuality. Brighton does have quite a big gay scene, which I'd imagine stems largely from cabin crew at Gatwick, however the football fans are probably no different from any other fans demographic.

I think if it came to an actual gay player, hardly anyone would say anything. Why, because there is no humour in suggesting an openly gay person is gay. The only path beyond that leads into a world of hatred and abuse which 99% of fans would not go down.

From your username I'm guessing you went to a fair few games in the 70s but fans just aren't like that any more. We don't need fans caged in with metal fences, you don't get the sh*t kicked out of you at Millwall or West Ham. Nobody is throwing bananas at John Barnes and people don't hate gays.

Lots of people will care and make a big deal about it, I won't be one of them. It's 2015 and I couldn't give a monkeys who does what to whom legally as long as they're good at playing football.

For what it's worth you're a lot more likely to get abuse from more for mis-using the word "enlighten(ed)" than for any degree of sexytime activity.

It's ribbing someone for where they live isn't it?

they probably dont want to come out as too many people will be falling over themselves to make public displays of congratulations towards them

the twitter-sphere will be full of hipsters telling everyone that player X is now a role model etc

I personally, could not give a ****

I would prefer people to think I am fantastic at art even though I'm hopeless. There is nothing wrong with people thinking I am bad at art, I would just prefer that they didn't think that of me.

Incidentally, this is a terrible analogy, you've used the terms "fantastic" and "bad" in your clarification of what you're like at art, which to extend the analogy as you have, confirms you think a value judgement exists about the "goodness" or "badness" of being straight or gay.

The whole point is that what people think is irrelevant, for there to be any point in making a "good"/"bad" judgement there has to be a difference in how sexuality is perceived.

I'm sure Jason Donovan has an interesting perspective on this, what with suing The Face magazine back in the 90s for saying he was gay...

Incidentally, this is a terrible analogy, you've used the terms "fantastic" and "bad" in your clarification of what you're like at art, which to extend the analogy as you have, confirms you think a value judgement exists about the "goodness" or "badness" of being straight or gay.

The whole point is that what people think is irrelevant, for there to be any point in making a "good"/"bad" judgement there has to be a difference in how sexuality is perceived.

I'm sure Jason Donovan has an interesting perspective on this, what with suing The Face magazine back in the 90s for saying he was gay...

You could use talent or no talent if you prefer.

The thing is with Brighton fans it's not actually their sexuality. Brighton does have quite a big gay scene, which I'd imagine stems largely from cabin crew at Gatwick, however the football fans are probably no different from any other fans demographic.

I think if it came to an actual gay player, hardly anyone would say anything. Why, because there is no humour in suggesting an openly gay person is gay. The only path beyond that leads into a world of hatred and abuse which 99% of fans would not go down.

From your username I'm guessing you went to a fair few games in the 70s but fans just aren't like that any more. We don't need fans caged in with metal fences, you don't get the sh*t kicked out of you at Millwall or West Ham. Nobody is throwing bananas at John Barnes and people don't hate gays.

I am not sure that the gay scene in Brighton has a great deal to do with air crew???

Yeah, I did used to go to games in the 70s and yes I appreciate that things have changed. I am not saying that there is hatred involved, just that calling someone gay is often still done so in a pejorative way - otherwise what is the point? There is no one in Brighton and Hove who doesn't know that they live in an area with a large gay population so what is the point of chanting at them that they live in a community with gay people? The whole point is to have a dig - just as the chants about the Munich Air Disaster and making hissing gas noises against the Spuds fans is having a dig. I doubt very much if anyone is anti-sematic when they make those noises, they are just using something they think will wind up the oppo fans.

Also you say that nobody is throwing bananas at John Barnes but there is still a great deal of racism in football, especially abroad. If there wasn't there would be a Kick It Out campaign.