Jordy Clasie - Joins AZ (Official)

Saint Charlie

No one in Holland believed Clasie would make it to the first team of Feyenoord as he was too small, looking like a toddler. Due to financial problems and not being able to buy a decent midfielder, Feyenoord gave him a chance and he took it. Last season he was one of the best in the Eredivisie when it came to conquer the ball and setting up a counter attack. Question is: can he do this in the PL also? Though the PL is way more physical than the Eredivisie I believe he can but it will take a season to adept. His pass at Pelle (with the right speed at the right foot of Pelle) which led to the first goal against Bournemouth shows "the kid" can play his passing game in England too, I assume he's far better at this than the other midfielders from the Saints or am I wrong? But he still needs to get more power in order to win duels with his direct opponents, I guess he's on a tight schedule in the gym right now which will pay off in half a year or so. When things work out at Southampton and Clasie becomes a key player I believe he can go all the way to the top. It's going to be interesting to follow his development the coming years!

A fair view on where he fits in the Saints team today and personally I detect very good potential in him !

He will be a 'water carrier' rather than a flair player so will take more time to win over the fans than a goalscorer or a tricky winger for example !

Ronald clearly rates him and seems inclined to give him a run in the first team which should enable him to settle into his role sooner rather than later !

Certainly, negative comments after only 3 games seems very short sighted to me and serve no useful purpose !

There's a good photo of him in a Holland shirt on our OS: controlling a ball but already looking up to see his potential options. Good players play with their head up and with awareness and he seems to do that, getting used to our league and its physicality after an injury is a different matter which will need more than 3 games to overcome.

There's a good photo of him in a Holland shirt on our OS: controlling a ball but already looking up to see his potential options. Good players play with their head up and with awareness and he seems to do that, getting used to our league and its physicality after an injury is a different matter which will need more than 3 games to overcome.

Agreed. Some players adapt very quickly and others take a bit of time. Ron clearly thinks that Clasie is a quality player and will do the business for us. That is good enough for me.

No one in Holland believed Clasie would make it to the first team of Feyenoord as he was too small, looking like a toddler. Due to financial problems and not being able to buy a decent midfielder, Feyenoord gave him a chance and he took it. Last season he was one of the best in the Eredivisie when it came to conquer the ball and setting up a counter attack. Question is: can he do this in the PL also? Though the PL is way more physical than the Eredivisie I believe he can but it will take a season to adept. His pass at Pelle (with the right speed at the right foot of Pelle) which led to the first goal against Bournemouth shows "the kid" can play his passing game in England too, I assume he's far better at this than the other midfielders from the Saints or am I wrong? But he still needs to get more power in order to win duels with his direct opponents, I guess he's on a tight schedule in the gym right now which will pay off in half a year or so. When things work out at Southampton and Clasie becomes a key player I believe he can go all the way to the top. It's going to be interesting to follow his development the coming years!

I believe he can and SFC will give him the time & training he needs. We like to nurture talent not waste it.

What most impresses me about his game is the speed with which he passes the ball when pressed. Yes, its often sideways, but they have generally been really crisp and well-placed. It really speaks to his awareness of his own limitations (and the nature of English referees). Anyhow, he's very, very adept at the quick pass. I think with a few months together with Mane/Pelle/Tadic/Davis etc, we are going to see some absolutely killer longer through balls from Clasie; just needs time for them to be on the same page.

What most impresses me about his game is the speed with which he passes the ball when pressed. Yes, its often sideways, but they have generally been really crisp and well-placed. It really speaks to his awareness of his own limitations (and the nature of English referees). Anyhow, he's very, very adept at the quick pass. I think with a few months together with Mane/Pelle/Tadic/Davis etc, we are going to see some absolutely killer longer through balls from Clasie; just needs time for them to be on the same page.
His passes are crisp and usually spot-on target. Pelle, I think it was, on two occasions didn't trap the ball very well and lost possession on two scorching passes from Clasie. (Pelle should have handled them cleanly).

Conversely, I saw several passes from JWP today, although not cut out, where errant and stopped the flow of attack, particularly on the left side.

Clasie, at least today, put the passes where they need to be. His best game in stripes, err.. green sash, so far this season.

Sounded like he had a good game today!

Sensible from Koeman building him up to 90mins.

YES ...it was a good game for him to excel in. Despite being an away fixture, it must have boosted his confidence a lot to have the space he was given midfield.

It may be tighter in future games. Interesting to see RK's team selection against Stoke who are a very physical side....and Charlie Adam doesn't take prisoners.

YES ...it was a good game for him to excel in. Despite being an away fixture, it must have boosted his confidence a lot to have the space he was given midfield.

It may be tighter in future games. Interesting to see RK's team selection against Stoke who are a very physical side....and Charlie Adam doesn't take prisoners.

Neither does Victor him and Claise could go on the be a cracking midfield 2 imo!

Without being OTT, I genuinely feel this lad will prove to be a better player than Morgan very soon. Before we signed him I was very surprised we were even likely to Sign him especially when Utd signed Blind who I rate significantly less than Classie. This lad is potentially world class.

Without trying to be OTT....you were IMO.

If he is nearly as good as Morgan was for us that would be a pleasant suprise.

Edited by Saint Charlie

Without being OTT, I genuinely feel this lad will prove to be a better player than Morgan very soon. Before we signed him I was very surprised we were even likely to Sign him especially when Utd signed Blind who I rate significantly less than Classie. This lad is potentially world class.

It is good to see him improve with each game. Ron is clearly a big fan of his and if he does go on to be a better player than Morgan was for us then that is a bonus and will go to prove that no one is irreplaceable.

http://www.nu.nl/voetbal/4161779/clasie-moet-wennen-fysiek-spel-in-premier-league.html

Clasie interviewed by nu.nl. I translated the relevant quotes about Southampton:

“It’s been going well at Southampton the past few weeks. But only since I’ve managed to start some games have I really experienced the difference in power and quality between the eredivisie and the Premier League.”

“I’ve been out for a good seven weeks, while previously I’d never been out for more than two games in a row. That wasn’t a nice start at Southampton. I was new, I wanted to prove myself, but I couldn’t. First I had to work really hard to regain my fitness.”

“You could say the season has only just started for me in England. I’ve found my place at Southampton. The Premier League is exactly what I expected of it. I was looking forward to playing at a higher level and the challenges of a different competition.”

“I also felt that I was ready for it, even though physically it takes some time to get used to. Everyone is telling me as well that a player from the eredivisie needs some time to adjust to the physicality of the game in England. That’s what I’m working hard for right now, it’s still a thing I can improve.”

http://www.nu.nl/voetbal/4161779/clasie-moet-wennen-fysiek-spel-in-premier-league.html

Clasie interviewed by nu.nl. I translated the relevant quotes about Southampton:

“It’s been going well at Southampton the past few weeks. But only since I’ve managed to start some games have I really experienced the difference in power and quality between the eredivisie and the Premier League.”

“I’ve been out for a good seven weeks, while previously I’d never been out for more than two games in a row. That wasn’t a nice start at Southampton. I was new, I wanted to prove myself, but I couldn’t. First I had to work really hard to regain my fitness.”

“You could say the season has only just started for me in England. I’ve found my place at Southampton. The Premier League is exactly what I expected of it. I was looking forward to playing at a higher level and the challenges of a different competition.”

“I also felt that I was ready for it, even though physically it takes some time to get used to. Everyone is telling me as well that a player from the eredivisie needs some time to adjust to the physicality of the game in England. That’s what I’m working hard for right now, it’s still a thing I can improve.”

Thanks very much! I wonder what he means by physicality. That can either be a fitness issue due to the faster tempo of the English game and the pressing Saints use, or a size and bulk issue due to more pushing shoving and harder tackling.

I wonder what he means by physicality. That can either be a fitness issue due to the faster tempo of the English game and the pressing Saints use, or a size and bulk issue due to more pushing shoving and harder tackling.

The word 'physicality of the game' was my translaten of the Dutch 'fysieke spel'. I'm sure he means the 'more pushing, shoving and harder tackling' that you mention.

The word 'physicality of the game' was my translaten of the Dutch 'fysieke spel'. I'm sure he means the 'more pushing, shoving and harder tackling' that you mention.

It's a general feature of football that the higher up you get the more you have to battle just to get the opportunity to make a pass whilst in control of your own movement due to all the nudging, pulling, leaning and general strength of all the players you're competing with. You just don't get the space or time in the opposition's half and that physical battle for every inch of space and balance is completely exhausting - still surprised that it's THAT much different from Eredivisie to Premier League but I suppose at that level it's just having more, fitter, players able to do that every single time instead of just a little less often and less opportunity for recovery.

Clasie not a fan of our meat.

Also reveals (unlike Mane) where he lives.

https://www.clubcall.com/southampton/clasie-bulks-up---but-not-on-english-meat-1788597.html

Clasie is talking about deli products you put on your bread, I guess he discovered you guys eat spam and stuff like that... :D

Looking at the pic in this article Clasie is growing muscles in his arms... http://www.ad.nl/ad/nl/1049/Oranje/article/detail/4184675/2015/11/12/Clasie-In-Engeland-zijn-spelers-van-13-al-ijzersterk.dhtml

It's a general feature of football that the higher up you get the more you have to battle just to get the opportunity to make a pass whilst in control of your own movement due to all the nudging, pulling, leaning and general strength of all the players you're competing with. You just don't get the space or time in the opposition's half and that physical battle for every inch of space and balance is completely exhausting - still surprised that it's THAT much different from Eredivisie to Premier League but I suppose at that level it's just having more, fitter, players able to do that every single time instead of just a little less often and less opportunity for recovery.

Dutch education of footballers is more about tactical and technical skills and less about growing muscles. Off course the youngsters do train in the gym but apparantly much less or different than English kids, to my knowledge you have to be very carefull with children training in the gym who are not fully grown. Still, it is surprising that Clasie didn't put much effort in building his body when he was at Feyenoord. I'm sure he stopped growing at 16 so he had years to work on his physical strength before crossing the Channel...

• 2 weeks later...

In JWP and Classie we have two players that really lack the mobility to get close to opponents to put them under pressure. Because of this we don't tend to regain the ball half as much as we used to, plus the opposition tends to have lots of time to get their head up and pick a pass. That lack of pace and size also effects their ability to recycle loose ball and to win second ball. Romeu offers a little more in that department, but not much.

There is some quality when on the ball, but greater athleticism combined with that quality on the ball is needed, especially in that central area.

Clasie is talking about deli products you put on your bread, I guess he discovered you guys eat spam and stuff like that... :D

Looking at the pic in this article Clasie is growing muscles in his arms... http://www.ad.nl/ad/nl/1049/Oranje/article/detail/4184675/2015/11/12/Clasie-In-Engeland-zijn-spelers-van-13-al-ijzersterk.dhtml

Not unusual, we have a place on the coast near Sete and the various dutch families who rent the house next door all bring fritsaus, krokets and frikandels with them to eat rather than good old french stuff. They gang together with other dutch families and eat their crap and make themselves generally unpopular. Still it's a free world...apparently. Probably no worse than the English with their bacon and beans for breakfast on Greek Islands.

Edited by Window Cleaner