Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 351 to 378 of 378

Thread: Clasie so far...

  1. #351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    the game completely passed him by today
    You must have been watching a different game? We started with just 2 specialist midfielders so both Wanyama and Clasie had to work hard against an, admittedly, poor Newcastle side. I thought both did very well and were constantly involved. Clasie is improving game by game.

  2. #352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BallBoy View Post
    You must have been watching a different game? We started with just 2 specialist midfielders so both Wanyama and Clasie had to work hard against an, admittedly, poor Newcastle side. I thought both did very well and were constantly involved. Clasie is improving game by game.
    Totally agree...

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

  3. #353

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    8,303

    Default

    from the BBC

    How good were Southampton?

    Good, but probably only reached third gear. They pressed the Newcastle defence from the whistle, knowing that they could force a mistake.

    Long troubled the backline with his pace, while Pelle pulled both Mbemba and Taylor - who was substituted at half-time - out of position.

    Jordy Clasie was once again tireless in his closing down

  4. #354

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sussex/Kharkiv
    Posts
    17,579

    Default

    Somewhere in the world this lad will be shedding a tear just about now. Be interesting to see how he is used by a different Manager and if he can step up next season.

    Would say he was 6/10 on his first season.

  5. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Charlie View Post
    Somewhere in the world this lad will be shedding a tear just about now. Be interesting to see how he is used by a different Manager and if he can step up next season.

    Would say he was 6/10 on his first season.
    Maybe Ron wants to take him to Everton along with Juanmi, Cuco and Cedric.

  6. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greenridge View Post
    Maybe Ron wants to take him to Everton along with Juanmi, Cuco and Cedric.
    He can leave Cuco here, I like him.

  7. #357

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greenridge View Post
    Maybe Ron wants to take him to Everton along with Juanmi, Cuco and Cedric.
    There's no chance Everton will want Clasie. They might be interested in Mane, Wanyama, Van Dijk and Forster tough. To be fair to Pochettino, he didn't poach any of our players. Hopefully Koeman will be as honourable.

  8. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nordic Saint View Post
    There's no chance Everton will want Clasie. They might be interested in Mane, Wanyama, Van Dijk and Forster tough. To be fair to Pochettino, he didn't poach any of our players. Hopefully Koeman will be as honourable.
    He didn't poach any as the club wouldn't do business with Spurs. If he goes to Everton, then I would suspect the club will take the same stance with them.

  9. #359

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    stockholm sweden
    Posts
    11,099
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nordic Saint View Post
    There's no chance Everton will want Clasie.
    They might be interested in Mane, Wanyama, Van Dijk and Forster tough.
    To be fair to Pochettino, he didn't poach any of our players. Hopefully Koeman will be as honourable.
    ? If Everton have promised RK a big budget to buy new, it will probably come from selling Stones and Barkley - but why wouldn't RK want Clasie?.
    Clasie's name has been on RK lips since he first came to SMS and I'm sure that he only came because he wanted to play for Koeman.
    Clasie hasn't really settled in, and unless we specifically sign anotherDutch manager (De Boer), JK will have to really fight for his place and become another Gaston

    No surprise that Wanyama will (most likely) go to Spurs, and if anyone meets our huge valuation 40 million for Mane, then he will go, too. (not unexpected).

    They may not have been here for the previous big exodus, but any player(s) looking for a move now might like to look to the careers of the others who jumped ship.

    For those who really want to play football every week, a higher salary might not be a good replacement for a place on the bench and 10 minutes of sub. time
    Last edited by david in sweden; 04-06-2016 at 04:27 PM.


  10. #361

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    20,976

    Default

    I think he will go in the summer
    Not particularly suited to the premier league. Could do well Italy though

  11. Default

    He would kill it in serie a with the extra time on the ball.

    Think he's great but wouldn't be too fussed if he was effectively swapped for a Wanyama style DM.

  12. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris27687 View Post
    He would kill it in serie a with the extra time on the ball.

    Think he's great but wouldn't be too fussed if he was effectively swapped for a Wanyama style DM.
    Has Clasie played at the base of the diamond for us yet?

    Always seems to play as one of the 2 "shuttle" midfielders when I've seen him.
    (I would have thought the DM role suited him better as his stamina is pretty poor.

  13. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSAINT View Post
    Has Clasie played at the base of the diamond for us yet?

    Always seems to play as one of the 2 "shuttle" midfielders when I've seen him.
    (I would have thought the DM role suited him better as his stamina is pretty poor.
    You can play hojberg further forward and I think tadic drops further into the diamond next season to make space for a new forward.

    They have to have put a lot of faith in hojberg (massive fee for us for a 20 year old) being the dynamic midfielder everyone wants down the line - to sell on of course*.

    *and hopefully win something on the way!
    Last edited by Chris27687; 05-10-2016 at 09:15 PM.

  14. #365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSAINT View Post
    Has Clasie played at the base of the diamond for us yet?

    Always seems to play as one of the 2 "shuttle" midfielders when I've seen him.
    (I would have thought the DM role suited him better as his stamina is pretty poor.
    I don't think he has but I agree DM would probably suit him. He's a good tackler and isn't as easily out muscled as you'd expect from a little guy.

  15. #366

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    I think he will go in the summer
    Not particularly suited to the premier league. Could do well Italy though
    I'm not sure any other Premier League club would buy him and foreign clubs don't pay big transfer fees so he may be here longer than you think. Most players seem to improve while they're here so maybe in another 2 years time he'll be ready for sale. Usually, it only takes 2 years to get them ready but Clasie is a slow developer. Van Dijk will definitely be ready next summer and if Romeu keeps improving at the current rate he may be too but not Clasie. It's all a bit like fattening turkeys for christmas except instead of christmas it's the summer transfer window.

  16. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSAINT View Post
    Always seems to play as one of the 2 "shuttle" midfielders when I've seen him.
    I like this phrase.

  17. #368

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Right here, right now
    Posts
    846

    Default

    He looked so very happy after his first goal last night! I'm really pleased for him. He seems to be trying to shoot more often lately. Some more of those goals would be very welcome.

  18. #369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pass the Dutchie View Post
    He looked so very happy after his first goal last night! I'm really pleased for him. He seems to be trying to shoot more often lately. Some more of those goals would be very welcome.
    Yep and I think it'll do him the wold of good - far better player than most think (well on here anyway).

  19. Default

    I guess the club feels differently to me....but of all the players we have, well maybe Cuco as well, if he left in January, then I wouldn't be upset. However, we bought him for a reason and that reason hasn't really materialised. So one hopes that last night's goal will fire something up and he can show us why we signed him. Maybe this is harsh, but he isn't first choice for PL games when he really should be making himself so.

  20. Default

    Clasie has largely disappointed me, but the one thing about the systems we play: 442 diamond / 433 / 451, is that they all play with 3 central midfielders, so he will always get a chance to play & impress with Claude's rotation policy.

    He took that chance last night. Well done to him. Hope for more in the future

  21. Default

    Always said he looks better when playing further forward, not as an attacker just getting closer to the edge of the box instead of sitting back.

  22. #373

    Default

    Thought he played very well last night. Snapping at their heels and some good passing, as well as a great finish for the goal. He's maybe not a standout player in terms of skill, but has a good passing range, decent in the tackle and has had a couple of decent strikes on goal recently, and deserved his goal last night.

  23. Default

    All our central midfielders are good players. They are all guilty of not chipping in with enough goals and assists though.

  24. #375

    Default

    Watching Clasie run through treacle to get back during their second goal counter was painful. Overtaken by pretty much everyone and he is meant to be the engine room of the side. Was only the 70th minute in a low tempo game as well.

    I feel for him a bit as he seems a good committed pro who has technical ability but physically he is about the opposite of what suits the PL. Too small, heavy, slow and lacking in stamina.

    Will never be an effective box to box player and isn't enough of a presence to be the main defensive midfielder. IMO his best games for us have been when we have just needed to dig in and grind out a result, anything requiring more and he struggles.

    Would look to move on in the summer if anyone came in for him - we could do better and certainly find a more PL suited midfielder.

  25. Default

    Well said

    Fully agree

  26. Default

    Seems to be a decent squad player and nothing more which is a shame would be interesting to know how his stats in the gym add up compared to others as he does seem to be lacking in the pace stamina and strength departments all of which are needed to make up for his smaller stature!

  27. #378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dusic View Post
    Watching Clasie run through treacle to get back during their second goal counter was painful. Overtaken by pretty much everyone and he is meant to be the engine room of the side. Was only the 70th minute in a low tempo game as well.

    I feel for him a bit as he seems a good committed pro who has technical ability but physically he is about the opposite of what suits the PL. Too small, heavy, slow and lacking in stamina.

    Will never be an effective box to box player and isn't enough of a presence to be the main defensive midfielder. IMO his best games for us have been when we have just needed to dig in and grind out a result, anything requiring more and he struggles.

    Would look to move on in the summer if anyone came in for him - we could do better and certainly find a more PL suited midfielder.
    Completely agree with all of that. Have tried to give him time and benefit of the doubt but he just doesn't bring enough to the team IMO. Nothing more than a squad filler which could be provided by an academy player. Obviously a Koeman signing, who should have done the decent thing and taken him with him!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •