Klopp - Early leavers

Saint Garrett

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34762806

Jurgen Klopp: Liverpool boss felt 'alone' at Anfield

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp said he felt "alone" at Anfield in the closing stages of the 2-1 defeat by Crystal Palace.

Sections of home supporters left their seats after Scott Dann headed Palace ahead eight minutes from time.

"Eighty-two minutes - game over," said Klopp, who suffered his first defeat as Liverpool boss.

"I turned around and I felt pretty alone at this moment. We have to decide when it is over."

Dann's header saw Palace go above Liverpool in the Premier League table and means Klopp has won three, drawn three and lost one of his first seven games in charge.

Former Borussia Dortmund manager Klopp - who said that the club must calm down after they conceded another late goal against Southampton in October - was not angry with the fans who left, but frustrated with his players for not making them believe that a comeback was possible.

"I am not disappointed about this, the fans leaving, they have reasons," said the German. "But we are responsible that nobody can leave the stadium a minute before the last whistle because everything can happen.

"Between 82 minutes and 94 you can make eight goals, if you want, but you have to work for it.

"That is what we have to show and we didn't."

Some interesting comments regarding people who leave early. One of my pet hates, and having been to quite a lot of grounds, always feel that our fans are some of the worse for it. The Kingsland/Northam corner where I sit, is regularly half empty with 85 mins on the clock. Never understand it, especially when the game is not dead and buried.

I will never understand why people get angry about other people leaving. I normally stay till the end but on the odd occasion when I do leave early it's entirely my choice. If they name the stadium easier to exit then everyone would stay.

I think people would still leave early, do agree it is a bit of a pain getting out of Southampton.

It's not about being angry, its just frustrating when you're trying to watch the game and fans are streaming out the stadium - can't have a positive effect on the team either.

I guess that some people have a difficult journey and want to head off earlier but I wouldn't leave a play or a movie before the end and it is the same with football. Why wouldn't you want to see the full production? Especially nowadays when so many goals are scored after 90 mins.

I will never understand why people get angry about other people leaving. I normally stay till the end but on the odd occasion when I do leave early it's entirely my choice. If they name the stadium easier to exit then everyone would stay.

a) it impacts the atmosphere, 5 mins to go roaring the team on to hold on / get back into the game and instead you spend half the time getting out the way of dlckheads moving along the row to get out. A few early leavers is fine and understandable, but not on the scale you see at St Marys.

b) as above as people congregate on the stairs moving down slowly watching a bit more of the game on the way out. Reminds me of the sort of people who can't wait to rush to the boarding gate at airports .

Saints are definitely one of the worst clubs for this, which is a shame as our home record has been so good for the last few years it would be nice for the fans to clap the players off at the end instead of rushing for the exit.

Personally I leave my seat with 1 minute to go in added on time. Being at the top of the stand it takes 10 minutes to get out and another 10 to get over the bridge. I don't like waiting so I miss about 10-20 seconds of the game. If there was an exit at the top of the stand all the way down to ground level, then no doubt I would wait until the final whistle.

I pay for my ticket, so I'll choose how long I stay to watch. I don't criticise all those who miss the last 5 minutes or so of the 1st half so that they can go and get a beer and some "food" rather than queue. I don't criticise them for missing the first 5 minutes or so of the 2nd half for the same reason. They are though, ****ing annoying as it's a pain being like a jack in the box as they return to their seats.

Live and let live.

Don't have a problem with people wanting to leave early, especially if you're sat in the higher reaches of the stadium.

I'm normally 4 or 5 rows from the back in the Northam and I tend to find myself sat in my seat until 10 minutes after f/t waiting just to be able to get to an aisle. Then when I get out it's a similar wait at that sodding railway bridge just to get onto the main road to the station.

I reckon if you leave on 85 minutes, you'd get to the station half an hour earlier than if you waited till the end in one of the higher rows. If you're driving you can probably lose another 20 minutes sat in traffic too. Probably worth it for a lot of people, for the sake of 5 minutes plus injury time.

Even better if you go, get to watch a football game, and as a bonus get to p!ss off some sad moaning tosser as well.

Stay home and avoid waiting for a beer in a busy pub. Dont have kids, they're always wanting to be driven somewhere. Never go an see a gig unless its **** and really unpopular.

If I can time it so that I exit the stadium bowl on the final whistle, from my seat in the middle of a Kingsland block, then I will save 30 minutes on my journey home compared to waiting in my seat until the final whistle. After just about every game that's a time saving worth making.

Jurgen Klopp said he felt "alone" in the closing stages of the game at Anfield?

Surely not. At Liverpool, you'll never walk alone.

Proof of that is the Malaysian/Chinese/Taiwanese/Qatari/Scandinavian scarfer tourists, whose highlight is the rendition of YNWA just before the final whistle when all Liverpool fans can unite, hold their scarves aloft and sing.

At least until the Malaysian/Chinese/Taiwanese/Qatari/.Scandinavian scarfers realise they can't indulge in their desire to be glory hunters following Liverpool and shove off up the East Lancs Rd to follow Manchester Utd/City.

Some interesting comments regarding people who leave early. One of my pet hates, and having been to quite a lot of grounds, always feel that our fans are some of the worse for it. The Kingsland/Northam corner where I sit, is regularly half empty with 85 mins on the clock. Never understand it, especially when the game is not dead and buried.

You are far more of a prat if you think you have the right to moan about people who need / chose to leave early. Its their money, and their lives. Seriously get a grip.

I was 10 years old when we played at Filbert Street in 1994. When we went 4-1 down I threw a tantrum and wanted to go home. My dad obliged and we left about 5 minutes early. We got back to the car and put the radio on, it finished 4-3. Admittedly, still not enough for victory but enough to make my dad thoroughly p*ssed off and me to never leave a game early ever again.

While I understand that sitting in traffic is frustrating, surely listening to the radio and chatting about the game after makes it go quicker than normal, and besides, what is so important that you are prepared to sacrifice the end of the game for? X Factor?

Jurgen Klopp said he felt "alone" in the closing stages of the game at Anfield?

Surely not. At Liverpool, you'll never walk alone.

Proof of that is the Malaysian/Chinese/Taiwanese/Qatari/Scandinavian scarfer tourists, whose highlight is the rendition of YNWA just before the final whistle when all Liverpool fans can unite, hold their scarves aloft and sing.

At least until the Malaysian/Chinese/Taiwanese/Qatari/.Scandinavian scarfers realise they can't indulge in their desire to be glory hunters following Liverpool and shove off up the East Lancs Rd to follow Manchester Utd/City.

Welcome to the world of SKY football dominance and the rise of The Global Plastics!

While I understand that sitting in traffic is frustrating, surely listening to the radio and chatting about the game after makes it go quicker than normal, and besides, what is so important that you are prepared to sacrifice the end of the game for? X Factor?

Exactly, or better still walk to the pub, have a beer and chat about the game to friends or other fans. By the time you leave not only will the stadium traffic cleared but also all the saturday afternoon shoppers and you'll get home in half the time.

I'm fairly lucky in my row, hardly any early leavers, however there are 4 or 5 who arrive late, leave early and return late at HT!

As I live a 90 min trip home my only guilt leaving a tad early is an evening ko when all is safe, last time was missing the Villa pen, shame:)

I've no particular gripe with early leavers, but I don't really understand them. Unless you're working or going out early that evening, what's the point? You've forked over quite a bit of cash to see the game, what's wrong with spending an hour in the pub afterwards while the traffic dies down, and chat with a few other fans about the game? Probably see the goals and other results on the big screen as well.

Only if you happen to be sharing a ride with someone else.

For your last question, lots of things to many people. Not everyone regards football as a religion, some people have long drives, families waiting to have dinner, work to do and various other commitments more important than the last 10 minutes of a football match.

a) it impacts the atmosphere, 5 mins to go roaring the team on to hold on / get back into the game and instead you spend half the time getting out the way of dlckheads moving along the row to get out. A few early leavers is fine and understandable, but not on the scale you see at St Marys.

b) as above as people congregate on the stairs moving down slowly watching a bit more of the game on the way out. Reminds me of the sort of people who can't wait to rush to the boarding gate at airports .

Saints are definitely one of the worst clubs for this, which is a shame as our home record has been so good for the last few years it would be nice for the fans to clap the players off at the end instead of rushing for the exit.

Well that's more about how they exit rather than the fact they are leaving. Personally I couldn't give a toss what other fans want to do. If they want to leave then they've paid their money so can do what they like.

I've often wondered if there is any H&S requirement for the club to open the exit gates X number of minutes before the end. I'd love it if one day they just didn't and all those early leavers sheepishly make their way back to their seats pretending they'd just been for a p!ss .... although I guess that would cause twice the disruption for others.

Or go, leave early and disregard the opinions of bellends who like to poke into other people's business. Simple.

Odd that you always parrot back whatever insult someone has just recently called you. Admittedly that does give you extensive choice.

If they can leaver without disturbing others I dont care. If they expect 20 people to miss part of the game in order to let them go ahead in the queue to leave, then **** em. Hopefully it will be you.

Edited by buctootim

Odd that you always parrot back whatever insult someone has just recently called you. Admittedly that does give you extensive choice.

If they can leaver without disturbing others I dont care. If they expect 20 people to miss part of the game in order to let them go ahead in the queue to leave, then **** em. Hopefully it will be you.

You mean when they walk in front of you to get to the aisle? Really Tim, that's like half a second of impeded viewing?! I've missed more of the game sneezing.

Its more like 15 seconds standing up two or three seats before they get to you, waiting for them to pass and sitting down again. Multiply that by 10 or 15 and you've missed half of the last 5-10 minutes. Multiply that by four for the late arrivals, early leavers at half time, late arrivals at half time. One old guy who I used to sit near had to move from his season seat because he found it hard to keep getting up and down.

What are you carping on about? I don't know what insult you are referring to but no one has a copyright on them so I'll use what I like thanks. If you are that bothered about missing milliseconds of the game then maybe you should be the one not going if it winds you up so much. Everyone else will get on with letting other people past and enjoying the game as well as the spectacle of angry men like yourself fuming at others. It's terribly amusing.

A thread about Klopp turns into a rant fest for Ubber Fans. I have occasionally left early, either because I need to get home (2+ hours away) or I just cant stand to watch anymore, but never just because we were loosing. Perhaps we should have whole rows of seats designated as early leavers seats near the exits.

I've often wondered if there is any H&S requirement for the club to open the exit gates X number of minutes before the end. I'd love it if one day they just didn't and all those early leavers sheepishly make their way back to their seats pretending they'd just been for a p!ss .... although I guess that would cause twice the disruption for others.

Well the club have no legal right to keep you in so people would just open the exits themselves and leave.

Welcome to the Premier League Mr Klopp. By now he's probably realised that the "special" Anfield atmosphere aint all it's cracked up to be and about a million miles from what he's used to at Dortmund and all other German stadiums. Watched their game on MOTD last night and it really was eerily quiet for most of the time. Just a typical crap English atmosphere and the usual 80 minute slip away witnessed at just about every ground these days.

What exactly would be an acceptable excuse for leaving a bit early then?

a: You want to

b: Unlike some on here you have a social life and have arranged to go out that evening and being stuck in post match traffic would make you late.

c: Your wife is giving birth, her cervix is 9cm dilated and staying to see the last few minutes of a drab 2-1 defeat will mean you miss the birth of your child.

d: You are an officer on a nuclear submarine parked in Southampton docks and have accidentally left the missile on auto-fire, aimed at Moscow and and staying to see the last few minutes of a drab 2-1 defeat might mean the end of the world.

Only if you happen to be sharing a ride with someone else.

For your last question, lots of things to many people. Not everyone regards football as a religion, some people have long drives, families waiting to have dinner, work to do and various other commitments more important than the last 10 minutes of a football match.

Yes those may be legitimate reasons, but I wonder how many people leaving early are going for those, and how many just simply to gain 15 minutes on the traffic.

If you're on your own, you can still listen to the radio, and then conduct your own imaginary press conference with how you saw the game. Probably better than having company to be honest.

Yes those may be legitimate reasons, but I wonder how many people leaving early are going for those, and how many just simply to gain 15 minutes on the traffic.

If you're on your own, you can still listen to the radio, and then conduct your own imaginary press conference with how you saw the game. Probably better than having company to be honest.

I'll stick to singing along with Peter Andre's greatest hits album thanks.

Just looked at the bin dippers reaction to their messiahs words, much the same as on here: lock everyone in, shame the early leavers, charge them more etc. etc. Strange how someone else exercising their hard won freedoms and liberty to leave a football stadium at the time of their choosing can generate such authoritarian opinions from people who I am sure are normally tolerant freedom loving souls.

My take on it is that if you want to leave early, fine, but just get on with it. The thing that REALLY ****es me off these days is the number of people who "leave" (i.e. go from their seats) and then stand in the aisle all the way down the stand because, actually, they weren't leaving at all, they just wanted to move nearer the exit, and then you're getting in people's way.

What are you carping on about? I don't know what insult you are referring to but no one has a copyright on them so I'll use what I like thanks. If you are that bothered about missing milliseconds of the game then maybe you should be the one not going if it winds you up so much. Everyone else will get on with letting other people past and enjoying the game as well as the spectacle of angry men like yourself fuming at others. It's terribly amusing.

It's just bad manners and extremely selfish. Leave whenever you want but don't disturb other people's enjoyment of the game.

Its more like 15 seconds standing up two or three seats before they get to you, waiting for them to pass and sitting down again. Multiply that by 10 or 15 and you've missed half of the last 5-10 minutes. Multiply that by four for the late arrivals, early leavers at half time, late arrivals at half time. One old guy who I used to sit near had to move from his season seat because he found it hard to keep getting up and down.

The most seats between aisles is I think 27 seats at the widest point. Even assuming you sit right next to the aisle and your entire row leaves early, that's only 13 people leaving past your seat.

So what you're saying is you sit next to the aisle and pretty much the entire row leaves before the end. Assuming your row is typical of any other, the stadium is literally empty 5 minutes before full time.

Also I don't get why standing up for 15 seconds causes such a loss of vision.

My take on it is that if you want to leave early, fine, but just get on with it. The thing that REALLY ****es me off these days is the number of people who "leave" (i.e. go from their seats) and then stand in the aisle all the way down the stand because, actually, they weren't leaving at all, they just wanted to move nearer the exit, and then you're getting in people's way.

Agree with you there, but that's a separate issue that should be dealt with by stewards.

heard a cracking joke from a mate a work who's a middlesborough fan:

says that sunderland fans are now staying till the end of the game to avoid the halftime traffic.

There's a piece about leaving early in The Guardian today.

'English football and the strange phenomenon of early-leaving syndrome' - http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/nov/09/english-football-early-leaving-syndrome?CMP=share_btn_tw

For some people being at the football just seems a chore, don't make any noise, rush out of the ground as soon as they can, almost just going out of habit as much as anything else I guess.

I've no particular gripe with early leavers, but I don't really understand them. Unless you're working or going out early that evening, what's the point? You've forked over quite a bit of cash to see the game, what's wrong with spending an hour in the pub afterwards while the traffic dies down, and chat with a few other fans about the game? Probably see the goals and other results on the big screen as well.

Have to agree with this. Ok, maybe some people have made a special effort to travel a very long way or have something as a one-off reason why they would absolutely need to get away early. But there's no way that 30% of the fanbase need to leave at 85 mins.

I just think, how can you not plan your day that you can't wait until the end? Ok its a little wait to get away at the end, but that's part and parcel of the day out. And it really doesn't take thaaaat long, it's not like you're stood still for 30 mins, you're moving, and you're with a load of other saints supports and will invariably chat about the results. Hardly torture is it.

It's a real shame that the crowd doesn't end the home matches very well, regardless of the result its seems.