Southampton to launch major US coaching initiative

Lallana's Left Peg

"Nobody in England outside of Hampshire wants to learn from us but in the US they are very interested and we'll jump into that opportunity."

So much for the Bath Satellite, where several of our best players have started, including Bale of course. I think there is a great deal of scope outside of Hampshire, Somerset, Wiltshire, Dorset and the Isle of Wight at least have nothing on the level of Saints and all are easily within our catchment area.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34850381

Sounds like it has potential, but it's how we monetise it that is most important for me with all these FFP rules. If we can't monetise it then it is pointless.

Well I cant see us doing it for free. I guess the coaching will be charged for how much of a money spinner that is will be, I guess comes down to numbers. I suppose the other advantage will be firsts dibs on talented US youngsters.

I live just down the road from the Bath satellite an it is very much alive and well. Based at Beechen Cliff School (ex pupil Jason Dodd) they have a 4G pitch, great all weather facilities and now boarding facilities for Academy Players, plus big banners advertising SFC's connection with the school.

Wish they'd do the same here in Brisbane. Sheffield frickin Utd do and their shirts are all over the place at my kids' club. (obligatory purchase to participate in the training).

Well, there's part 1 of the "how to monetarise it" question answered. That and "steal underpants".

I suspect part 3 is "wider recruitment of talent pool and selling them after a couple of seasons in the first team" aka "profit".

Part 2 will be

"?"

Monetarise :lol:

Think this is a good idea by the club - provided its rolled out ambitiously and it goes beyond cookie-cutter training with a bit of corporate branding, then monetising it shouldn't be a problem. Know from experience that American middle-class families will happily stump up good money for activities like these.

Of course, whether the success of the Academy -critical to the brand- has more to do with the initial identification of talent and the pathways to the first team than the training itself -that is, aspects unrelated to the value proposition we're pitching is another debate.

Edited by shurlock

"Nobody in England outside of Hampshire wants to learn from us but in the US they are very interested and we'll jump into that opportunity."

So much for the Bath Satellite, where several of our best players have started, including Bale of course. I think there is a great deal of scope outside of Hampshire, Somerset, Wiltshire, Dorset and the Isle of Wight at least have nothing on the level of Saints and all are easily within our catchment area.

impressive

Monetarise :lol:

Think this is a good idea by the club - provided its rolled out ambitiously and it goes beyond cookie-cutter training with a bit of corporate branding, then monetising it shouldn't be a problem. Know from experience that American middle-class families will happily stump up good money for activities like these.

Of course, whether the success of the Academy -critical to the brand- has more to do with the initial identification of talent and the pathways to the first team than the training itself -that is, aspects unrelated to the value proposition we're pitching is another debate.

A dying breed, unfortunately. :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34850381

Sounds like it has potential, but it's how we monetise it that is most important for me with all these FFP rules. If we can't monetise it then it is pointless.

If those "upto 100,000" kids go to a Saints branded "soccer school", I think there is an increased likelihood they will follow the fortunes of the first team. Ample opportunity to flog Saints shirts, training gear etc and merchandise to 100,000 soccer moms.

Local soccer association here (Louisiana) recently received call from Stoke City equivalent of this thing (based in Atlanta by the sounds of it). Our head coach (an expat) refused to join up partly because he didn't want to screw up the current kit line-up (blue/white thing a little like Leicester) and partly because Stoke once refused him a trial when Lou Macari was the manager.

Not sure what I'm trying to say here other than "wow Stoke are already doing this" and "people have long memories". And "oh yeah Lou Macari I remember him"

I think they'll get plenty thru the door but it will be quantity over quality.

I'm a soccer coach here in Ft Lauderdale for U9's and last year at the beginning of the season I sat my squad of 16 down and asked a question you'd expect every kid in England to have an answer for,

What team do you support??

Out of 16 kids only one said he supported Barcelona, (Hispanic & a great little player) the rest said after further questioning that THEY'D NEVER EVEN WATCHED A GAME ON TV.

I also coach Baseball at the same age group. As an experiment I asked the same question. With my whole team not only quoting their favorite teams but also top batters and even knowing fielding statistics.

Saints are going to have their work cut out and I only hope theres a few diamonds in the rough.

Edited by diggers
typo's

If those "upto 100,000" kids go to a Saints branded "soccer school", I think there is an increased likelihood they will follow the fortunes of the first team. Ample opportunity to flog Saints shirts, training gear etc and merchandise to 100,000 soccer moms.
I think it is more this.

I'm a soccer coach here in Ft Lauderdale for U9's and last year at the beginning of the season I sat my squad of 16 down and asked a question you'd expect every kid in England to have an answer for,

Out of 16 kids only one said he supported Barcelona, (Hispanic & a great little player) the ret said after further questioning that THEY'D NEVER EVEN WATCHED A GAME ON TV.

I also coach Baseball at the same age group. As an experiment I asked the same question. With my whole team not only quoting their favorite tams but also top batters and even knowing fielding statistics.

Saints are going to have their work cut out and I only hope theres a few diamonds in the rough.

and less this.

I don't hold any illusions they will find the next great Southampton player 15 years from now, but I like the idea of expanding the brand, getting the clubs name in the public consciousness. How else are you going to do it? Promote and offer what the club does well. Training young talent.

I could even envision instructional videos for sale (in every football shop), instructional camps for coaches, summer camps for kids that offer the "Southampton Way" of training/instruction in major cities throughout the U.S., etc. Grow it into a "thing". I like the big vision.

OK, I am an American, maybe I am going overboard here. I can certainly see why some might think that is a terrible, awful, gross idea. I can understand the comfort of the supporting a small club that is close knit with all out passion. It's a bit like the cozy small band you like and just a handful people really know about and then they hit it big. Then, you give up on the band, saying they sold out and they suck now and their fans suck now. I get it.

It's a tough one, but I really love supporting this club, and I get so frustrated that every time I mention them in passing, no one has heard of them. It would be nice if there were more of us around.

anyway.. my perspective. Just a wee lone supporter from Texas. COYS, beat Stoke.

Good stuff, i wonder if we will partner with a new american kit supplier ?

Do you? I'm fairly sure you wouldn't have said that if you didn't already know the following:

We already have a new kit deal for next season with Under Armour, who are an american kit supplier. They just haven't announced it yet.

Out of 16 kids only one said he supported Barcelona, (Hispanic & a great little player) the rest said after further questioning that THEY'D NEVER EVEN WATCHED A GAME ON TV.

I also coach Baseball at the same age group. As an experiment I asked the same question. With my whole team not only quoting their favorite teams but also top batters and even knowing fielding statistics.

I didn't have a favourite team who'd ever been on the tv when I started playing football either (though I'd already been going to games for 7 years...).~

That's about the kids not knowing where to watch games, attention thresholds, and probably mainly their parents not watching it. Once the Premier League viewing is established (the NBC live games on the main channel rather than as a subscription service is a good start) and is easy to find, all those things will follow.

Fairly sure this is more about building support in a cash-rich but underdeveloped football market than necessarily trying to find players.

I didn't have a favourite team who'd ever been on the tv when I started playing football either (though I'd already been going to games for 7 years...).~

That's about the kids not knowing where to watch games, attention thresholds, and probably mainly their parents not watching it. Once the Premier League viewing is established (the NBC live games on the main channel rather than as a subscription service is a good start) and is easy to find, all those things will follow.

Fairly sure this is more about building support in a cash-rich but underdeveloped football market than necessarily trying to find players.

Don't American kids with an interest in soccer follow the MLS? I can understand them knowing nothing about the PL but I would have thought they'd follow the MLS is it not on TV over there?

Don't American kids with an interest in soccer follow the MLS? I can understand them knowing nothing about the PL but I would have thought they'd follow the MLS is it not on TV over there?

Fair question, MLS is on, I guess the issue is that there are a lot of other channels and sports competing for attention whilst football is clearly the top sport in the UK.

There's also no tradition for support in the US, which is the real sticking point for building longer term bonds. My dad took me to football when I was a kid and I was hooked, but the relationship between kids and football in the US doesn't usually have that bond to build on. Soccer moms take kids to the games they play in in the same way they go to the soft play facility as something good to do, but they're not that likely to support a team to watch live or on tv.

Do you? I'm fairly sure you wouldn't have said that if you didn't already know the following:

We already have a new kit deal for next season with Under Armour, who are an american kit supplier. They just haven't announced it yet.

I really hope not, all of the kits from American suppliers look horrible. I would rather stick with Adidas on the proviso that they stop putting plastic stick on badges on the kits or training/leisure wear and that the badges have to be embroidered.

Either that or go with one of the smaller but still well known european kit suppliers like Lecoq Sportiff, Admiral or Hummel on the condition that the kit is totally unique to Saints. I appreciate that it won't happen though, as it will have to be manufactured by a company that is a global brand so that the Americans will have familiarity with it, to fit in with the business plan.

For most people in the US the MLS seems to be viewed as almost a casual league. Kids do go to games, but many of them probably can't name many players or the starting lineup. The kids with an interest in soccer follow Barcelona or Man Utd. or other big teams.

MLS crowds usually consist of a majority of casual fans who sit and never sing, that is where most kids are. At one end of the stadium there are usually supporters groups. For my local team, it is the 1906 Ultras, who were modeled off the ultras groups from Eastern Europe. They chant and make tifo and flags, but rarely include kids (possible due to their bad reputation among the MLS)

Here in the US, Southampton is on TV more than FC Dallas.

Not to mention, I can watch the official TV broadcast of every Southampton PL game on the NBCSN streaming site. Not sure you can with MLS. Have never looked into it.

For most people in the US the MLS seems to be viewed as almost a casual league. Kids do go to games, but many of them probably can't name many players or the starting lineup. The kids with an interest in soccer follow Barcelona or Man Utd. or other big teams.

MLS crowds usually consist of a majority of casual fans who sit and never sing, that is where most kids are. At one end of the stadium there are usually supporters groups. For my local team, it is the 1906 Ultras, who were modeled off the ultras groups from Eastern Europe. They chant and make tifo and flags, but rarely include kids (possible due to their bad reputation among the MLS)

This pretty much sums up my experience with the MLS. MLS is trying, but I just cannot get into it. It's mostly a bunch of players I have never heard of (and that is partly my fault). It's impossible to manufacture passion.

I really hope not, all of the kits from American suppliers look horrible. I would rather stick with Adidas on the proviso that they stop putting plastic stick on badges on the kits or training/leisure wear and that the badges have to be embroidered.

Either that or go with one of the smaller but still well known european kit suppliers like Lecoq Sportiff, Admiral or Hummel on the condition that the kit is totally unique to Saints. I appreciate that it won't happen though, as it will have to be manufactured by a company that is a global brand so that the Americans will have familiarity with it, to fit in with the business plan.

It's already signed. UA will give us some decent bespoke stuff, which is more than adidas ever have. It'll still be loosely a template, but there are far fewer sides wearing their stuff to make that obvious.

As for the plastic badges thing, Chelsea and Bayern had exactly the same. I'm already missing the opportunity to get more Saints adidas training kit next season as the 2015/16 designs are already leaked and they've got a bit of 1980s retro design going on.

Interesting insight on how some US fans view MLS, thanks.

Without knowing too much about the way US tv works, I suspect network syndication and regional variations in tv markets make it difficult to see everything - I know here we had games on ESPN/BT Sport last season and now Sky have taken it over, ESPN tended to be less "big team" based but even they tended to gravitate to LA Galaxy and NY Red Bulls more often than not.

Didnt know it was nailed on and presumed it was speculation hence my comment.

Didnt know it was nailed on and presumed it was speculation hence my comment.

I have it on pretty good authority from someone who accompanied the people who signed the deal, which I'd heard about from a completely different source.

I've heard from various sources that they are seriously thinking of changing the name from Southampton Football Club to Southampton Soccer Club. Mainly to aid the growth of the club in the USA.

Interesting one. I guess it wouldn't be a totally bad thing and it would definitely get us some publicity.

For those living in the USA:

If Saints do ever play a pre-season over here would you def go? Regardless of where it is?

Where I am then somewhere like Chicago, Indianapolis, Cincinnati or St Louis would be easiest but I'd prob make the effort to go somewhere miles away like Seattle or Boston, MA. In a way I'd prefer it in a place(s) I haven't been before.

The good thing about friendlies is that the day out can't really be ruined by the game. Would be a good trip regardless.

If Saints do ever play a pre-season over here would you def go? Regardless of where it is?

Where I am then somewhere like Chicago, Indianapolis, Cincinnati or St Louis would be easiest but I'd prob make the effort to go somewhere miles away like Seattle or Boston, MA. In a way I'd prefer it in a place(s) I haven't been before.

The good thing about friendlies is that the day out can't really be ruined by the game. Would be a good trip regardless.

Yes, I definitely would try. I have never seen Saints live, so would be the best chance to at least see the team. If it were to happen, it would be great if us fans in the US could organize some sort of group to go watch the game.

I've heard from various sources that they are seriously thinking of changing the name from Southampton Football Club to Southampton Soccer Club. Mainly to aid the growth of the club in the USA.

Interesting one. I guess it wouldn't be a totally bad thing and it would definitely get us some publicity.

Makes absolutely no sense. There are MLS clubs with 'FC' at the end of their names.

Wish they'd do the same here in Brisbane. Sheffield frickin Utd do and their shirts are all over the place at my kids' club. (obligatory purchase to participate in the training).

No money to be made out here. Jeez even when Foxtel lost all the live broadcasting rights for the Prem, they just shrugged their shoulders and called us all insomniacs!

Whereas clubs in the Prem's "Big Four " do summer World tours and play each other in front of 100K crowds on all continents, I guess it would need careful venue selection (at first) ...to meet the expectations of the blossoming " Saints fan groups " around the U.S.

I haven't seen stats. that suggest there are more Saints fans on the East Coast than anywhere else, although I have met one guy who lives there and said that Saints are of growing interest to American soccer scene, and that Ralph Kreuger's name (though synonymous with Ice Hockey) has sparked a lot of added interest for fans.

We will never change our club name, but maybe what's being tossed around for the US is something like "The Saints Soccer Academy".....which unusually wouldn't annoy me one iota.

No insider info, just a hunch as it would make sense for the USA (F*ck Yeah!).

Whereas clubs in the Prem's "Big Four " do summer World tours and play each other in front of 100K crowds on all continents, I guess it would need careful venue selection (at first) ...to meet the expectations of the blossoming " Saints fan groups " around the U.S.

I haven't seen stats. that suggest there are more Saints fans on the East Coast than anywhere else, although I have met one guy who lives there and said that Saints are of growing interest to American soccer scene, and that Ralph Kreuger's name (though synonymous with Ice Hockey) has sparked a lot of added interest for fans.

New York City probably has the most Saints fans, they have a small supporters group that watches games regularly. The rest of us are spread very thin throughout the country. I know of 3 fans near me.

New York City probably has the most Saints fans, they have a small supporters group that watches games regularly. The rest of us are spread very thin throughout the country. I know of 3 fans near me.

Should certainly be interesting to know if there is a " Saints fans in the USA " site over there, and gauge the extent of interest.

I moved to Sweden around 30 years ago, but never lost interest in my hometown club, yet the Swedish Saints site here numbers well over a hundred people, (surprising in a country of pop. barely 9 million ) and where Football is a minority sport, (only a handful of us are actually So'ton-born).

I had a colleague (from our former employer) who later moved " out West ", and eventually turned up on this site as " Redondo Saint ".:wave:

The really hardy Saints' fans follow them to summer tours in Europe, but a Saints USA tour with games in New York might be of interest with £ being strong at the mo.

• 11 months later...

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2016-10-27/usa-coaches-conference-southampton-fc

Southampton’s inaugural Coaches Conference USA was hailed a success, with over 50 coaches from Partner clubs being given the chance to work with Martin Hunter and a team of experts.The coaches gained more of an understanding of how we deliver a high-performing Academy, with four days of seminars and practical sessions at the home of partner club, Soccer Association of Columbia in Maryland.

Club coaches from the USA enjoyed sessions delivered by Martin Hunter (Technical Director), Mo Gimpel (Director of Medical & Science Performance), Matt Hale (Academy Manager), Edd Vahid (Head of Coaching and Learning), Vince Bartram (Academy Goalkeeping Coach) and Matt Depledge (Academy Strength and Conditioning Coach) from our Academy.

Saints’ group of staff provided insights that clubs have already been putting in to place, so they can become high performing soccer organisations with a focus on coach and player development.

One of the coaches from SAC, Ivan Croft who has over 27 years of coaching experience with travel teams to University teams, said: “The conference was fantastic, aligned with best practices in youth player development and coaching and exceeded my expectations.

“The Southampton staff were incredibly knowledgeable, very willing to share their expertise, and clearly have the right long-term objectives and approaches in mind to develop great young players and young men."

https://twitter.com/i/videos/791731866361589760

Edited by trousers

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2016-11-01/challenger-sports-southampton-football-club-partnership

Southampton Football Club is pleased to announce that Challenger Sports has chosen Southampton FC as their Official Premier League team.

Challenger Sports are one of the largest providers of soccer camps in the USA and Canada, having been operating in the country since 1985 with a vision to create a sports company that would positively impact the lives of children throughout North America.

The club looks forward to engaging with Challenger Sports on a number of initiatives, starting with Challenger organising Southampton FC Premier League Experience Tours, giving young North American players an up close and personal look at the people, facilities, and training methods that have created some of the biggest names in the world’s game.

We will also support Challenger Sports in the recruitment and training of British and Irish Coaches to go and coach on Challenger camps in the USA and Canada.