Crossfit

Turkish

Anyone on here a member of a club or done it? A lad I know took it up and claims to be in the shape of his life. In his late 30s and fitter, stronger and more flexible than he was in his teens. I've seen a lot of hype around crossfit and whilst I agree with some of the principles of it's training is it hurt hype or is it genuinely as good as it says on the tin?

Yes and No

It was alright but I could never make it enough in the evenings to justify the £50 a month. More so when a whole host of fitness classes/facilities are available to me via work for nothing.

how hard it is depends on you. The WoD changes all the time and focus on different skills. The place I went to looked at your form more than anything and this was what made me lose interest. I was not bothered that my clean and jerk was not that perfect etc.

But some of the WoDs hit you hard.

I prefer circuit or HIIT training. Nothing feels better than a 30 min circuit when you finish blowing out of your arse

Edited by Batman

Crossfit is probably the most effective way to get in good shape as it's short intensive bursts of activity, that work your whole body. It's hard - but it's as hard as you're capable. I have a couple of completely obsessed friends. I've only done it a couple of times, but loved it. Only thing that stopped me going more was expense vs likelihood of going frequently on a Sat morning. Which wasn't high.

Anyone on here a member of a club or done it? A lad I know took it up and claims to be in the shape of his life. In his late 30s and fitter, stronger and more flexible than he was in his teens. I've seen a lot of hype around crossfit and whilst I agree with some of the principles of it's training is it hurt hype or is it genuinely as good as it says on the tin?

I have given it a go myself but I dont think its anything you couldnt do yourself with a decent circuit incorporating a bit of barbells/kettlebells/bodyweight exercises. I am starting my own hiit circuits workout this week and doing a bit of boxing as a year out of the gym & I am in horrendous shape.

I have given it a go myself but I dont think its anything you couldnt do yourself with a decent circuit incorporating a bit of barbells/kettlebells/bodyweight exercises. I am starting my own hiit circuits workout this week and doing a bit of boxing as a year out of the gym & I am in horrendous shape.

Cheers chaps. Having looked into it a bit more I agree with you here mate. The selling points seem to be its different everytime you go and the club mentality of it. Well I don't need the later as my training partner is competitive so we push each other. As for being different, seems to me if you go and so compound lifts, a bit of body weight plus 15 mins of HIIT varying between running,rowing, cycling and circuits then its pretty much what cross fit is anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

Get some kettles and do this stuff for free. It really works. I am 48 and its got me back to where I was in terms of fitness and strength and tone a decade ago. I also mix it up with cross country runs and mountain biking.

Insanity/Crossfit etc are all designed to relieve £ from people who have little inherent motivation or self-discipline.