Dominic Gape

norwaysaint

Is this lad still seen as promising or a realistic one for the future? He seems to have been around for ages, first being in the squad about three years ago, but has only played about one minute in the first team so far and that was a year ago. He's older than Harry Reed, who many seem to think is already drifting away from contention. He never seems to get a mention these days as one who may come through soon.

I can understand central defenders, like Stephens and Turnbull, needing longer to grow into their role at the top level, the same with bigger strikers like Gallagher, who need to transfer their strength at youth level to being powerful enough to battle for the ball with a fully grown defence. The ones who seem to come through youngest are full backs, but at what age do we give a central midfielder to reach a significant age?

I've never seen him play, so genuinely, does any know if he's a realistic contender? Or is he likely to be one of those who never quite gets there?

WC, have you seen him in action?

U21s on youtube yes, that is neither here nor there, he's 21, been at the club for years and is no nearer the 1st XI than he was

a couple of years back. These lads will either make the grade by the time they're 19 or 20 or will just peter out as have done so many before them. You've got to be farkin good to be a PL player, even on the periphery of it and whilst these lads obviously have some attributes they obviously don't have what it takes to make the big step up.

U21s on youtube yes, that is neither here nor there, he's 21, been at the club for years and is no nearer the 1st XI than he was

a couple of years back. These lads will either make the grade by the time they're 19 or 20 or will just peter out as have done so many before them. You've got to be farkin good to be a PL player, even on the periphery of it and whilst these lads obviously have some attributes they obviously don't have what it takes to make the big step up.

Mason didn't feature for Spurs in the league until he was 23. Not that I think Gape will make it for us, but to dismiss him because he's 21 seems short-sighted....dismiss him because lack of ability ;)

Mason didn't feature for Spurs in the league until he was 23. Not that I think Gape will make it for us, but to dismiss him because he's 21 seems short-sighted....dismiss him because lack of ability ;)

Mason was loaned out quite a bit I think. This is one thing that I reproach the hierarchy at SMS, these lads should all be out on loan from the time they're 18-19+. U21 football is nothing for them and at least by loaning them out it can be seen if they're got that little something extra that suggests that they'll eventually make the grade to the top flight. There is no point mollycoddling them in the unders making out that they're all stars of tomorrow..tomorrow which never comes of course.

The vast majority of our current first team squad are current internationals or relatively recent internationals, or in the England youth teams. The quality bar for an academy player to move up to the Southampton first team is now very high. The quality level needed for a youth player to reach the standard of the first team this season is tougher than any other time in the club's 130 year history. The number of internationals and depth of squad we had in 1983/84 or 2002/03 is small in comparison to 2015/16, the squad now is at a higher level than in both of those eras.

He was given a contract to 2017 earlier this year so perhaps the club think differently. It is incredibly difficult for an academy player to break through these days, and Ronald doesn't seem to keen to blood youngsters, unlike Poch (despite what is written about him). But things can change, new manager, new ideas. Have to say though that the standard of the Academy really is not what it was a few years back, there seems to be little in the way of exceptional talent, until maybe one or two u18s (Slattery for instance). There are quite a few players who could well go on to have a decent career in the Football League.

Mason was loaned out quite a bit I think. This is one thing that I reproach the hierarchy at SMS, these lads should all be out on loan from the time they're 18-19+. U21 football is nothing for them and at least by loaning them out it can be seen if they're got that little something extra that suggests that they'll eventually make the grade to the top flight. There is no point mollycoddling them in the unders making out that they're all stars of tomorrow..tomorrow which never comes of course.

Yeovil, Doncaster (3 loans Aug 2010-Nov 2011), Millwall, Lorient and Swindon; total English starts for clubs other than Spurs over 4 years: 49, plus whatever he did at Lorient in a month and a half in early 2013.

Edited by The9

Ronald doesn't seem to keen to blood youngsters, unlike Poch

On what is that based? Our squad under Koeman is stronger than it was under Pochettino, he is still giving gametime to Ward-Prowse and Targett and gave 5 debuts to academy players last season.

If Pochettino had Ryan Bertrand and not Danny Fox as an alternative option, then Shaw wouldn't have been able to breakthrough as quickly as he did. Chambers was 2nd choice to Clyne under Pochettino, he was getting games when Clyne was injured and coming back from injury. Gallagher got a lot of 1st team involvement largely due to the squad lacking the depth of senior numbers we now have.

I completely understand your reasoning. And if I'm to be honest, I don't know what's best for them. Playing in the unders with potential first team teammates, in a system with a likeness to the first team's tactics, with better(?) coaching and medical treatment at your disposal, and being available to the first team (cup games, etc), versus regular competitive football (assuming you can organise suitable loans, I.e. not in the current Gallagher mould). It's not so straight forward to me, and (as above) I'm not sure what the best policy would be - a mixture both, presumably?

Yeovil, Doncaster (3 loans Aug 2010-Nov 2011), Millwall, Lorient and Swindon; total English starts for clubs other than Spurs over 4 years: 49, plus whatever he did at Lorient in a month and a half in early 2013.

Plus a few sub appearances evidently because he's down as 28 or so games at Yeovil and 22 at Swindon. Nevertheless it's competitive football, playing against seasoned pros every week or so and getting into the real drift of things. I've no time whatsoever for unders categories because to me it's not competitve professional football.

He seems to have something about him when I've seen him playing U21 (via Youtube), but he still seems not physically fully grown! Maybe some loan periods next season, and although I share your doubt about top success I'd agree with your point that 21 is too early to write off people too soon.

He seems to have something about him when I've seen him playing U21 (via Youtube), but he still seems not physically fully grown! Maybe some loan periods next season, and although I share your doubt about top success I'd agree with your point that 21 is too early to write off people too soon.

Did not people say exactly the same about Andy Robinson...now starring for Dorchester Reserves or something ?

Top players make the grade by the time they're 21, Gape won't unless we get another youth orientated manager.

Does Gape even have a single England U21 cap?

Edited by Window Cleaner

Did not people say exactly the same about Andy Robinson...now starring for Dorchester Reserves or something ?

Top players make the grade by the time they're 21, Gape won't unless we get another youth orientated manager.

Well clearly not all of them Lambert and Vardy both left it late to blossom not that I'm suggesting Gape is/isn't that good but not every PL player makes it by 21.

Well clearly not all of them Lambert and Vardy both left it late to blossom not that I'm suggesting Gape is/isn't that good but not every PL player makes it by 21.

Then again they weren't hanging about in the unders at a PL club at that age were they. Vardy was playing amateur football and Lambert was in League 1 or 2. The problem for players like Gape is that they just won't get a chance to show what they can do. Gape was in the first team squad when we moved into the PL, since then he's just nothing, maybe has had 10 minutes of PL football in 3 and a third season whilst the MF has been dominated by signings and truly gifted players who were already here at the same period. Koeman will not give them a chance, not in the PL unless the situation is desperate for' some reason or other. When he's gone we'll see but that won't be tomorrow, next week or next year. He needs to ask to go out on loan and make sure that it happens, otherwise he'll just fade away.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Gape isn't going to be a first team player for Saints.

Hardly a controversial statement. Neither will Isgrove, McQueen, Britt etc.

Although some will make it controversial and produce irrelevant statistics to show that Koeman gives X (fill in as required) players from the academy at least 2 minutes of game time in the Woogy Woogy Boogy Trophy preliminary round.

Edited by Window Cleaner

On what is that based?

Factual-based evidence. There is no basis on which anyone with any brains could disagree, since no Academy players have been blooded, indeed only one is even remotely close (having made the bench but been unused - Seager). JWP is now in his fourth season as part of the first team squad and has played over 100 times, his appearances are no longer part of "blooding youngsters". Targett was blooded last season. Reed was blooded by Poch, and seems to be nowhere near the first team now seldom making the matchday squad. Even Seager actually made his debut last season. You just need to look at the videos of training, there are no others even being considered at the moment.

Now enlighten me how I am wrong.

Factual-based evidence. There is no basis on which anyone with any brains could disagree, since no Academy players have been blooded, indeed only one is even remotely close (having made the bench but been unused - Seager). JWP is now in his fourth season as part of the first team squad and has played over 100 times, his appearances are no longer part of "blooding youngsters". Targett was blooded last season. Reed was blooded by Poch, and seems to be nowhere near the first team now seldom making the matchday squad. Even Seager actually made his debut last season. You just need to look at the videos of training, there are no others even being considered at the moment.

Pretty much right, Koeman likes young players...but ones he's had purchased from elsewhere. After their chance had been given to them by other managers (or even himself). Take Clasie, he was a Feyenoord regular at 19, now he's with us. So if we have young players of 21 who aren't as good and thus not good enough they won't play..

Edited by Window Cleaner

He was given a contract to 2017 earlier this year so perhaps the club think differently.

It is incredibly difficult for an academy player to break through these days, and Ronald doesn't seem to keen to blood youngsters, unlike Poch (despite what is written about him). But things can change, new manager, new ideas. Have to say though that the standard of the Academy really is not what it was a few years back, there seems to be little in the way of exceptional talent, until maybe one or two u18s (Slattery for instance).

There are quite a few players who could well go on to have a decent career in the Football League.

I agree Vectis, but there are other factors.

Former players like Chambers got their chances because (in his case Clyne was injured in the pre-season) and he DAJFU quite well and even came back later in the season in another emergency. Shaw was outstanding even at an early age, and tbf....Fox's performance level meant he didn't have to try so hard to get the No.3 shirt.

Most of the other Pochettino " finds "were brought in injury crises, and of course Cup games (which is partly why we lost Cup games like Sunderland !

You can bring in one or two youngsters and hope they fit in, but half of team of U21 lads, playing any sort of lower opposition isn't be a guarantee of success.

( even Man U's second string weren't good enough to beat L1 opposition in a Cup game last season).

Pochettino's "prodigies" both at SMS (and in part at Spurs) were moves forced on him by injury / regular player's lack of form. It worked at WHL, not so well at SMS.

The fact remains that those U21 players who came in....for the odd game ...didn't improve the team performances that much, or (in most cases) the eventual results.

It was good to see them get game-time, but today, very few - if any - who are near good enough to replace the incumbents in the first team...in the longer term.

As this thread is entitled Dominic Gape, although promising ..he doesn't look anything like first team material (today) and if the likes of Turnbull and Stephens can go out on loan, then both Gape and Harrison Reed ought to be getting game time (at some level ) every weekend, if they have pretensions to Saints' first team line-up.

Edited by david in sweden

Who do you think should have been blooded by Koeman that hasn't been?

Who do you think MP blooded that Koeman wouldn't? Or who do you think MP blooded for us full stop?

Consider yourself now enlightened.

He was given a contract to 2017 earlier this year so perhaps the club think differently. It is incredibly difficult for an academy player to break through these days, and Ronald doesn't seem to keen to blood youngsters, unlike Poch (despite what is written about him). But things can change, new manager, new ideas. Have to say though that the standard of the Academy really is not what it was a few years back, there seems to be little in the way of exceptional talent, until maybe one or two u18s (Slattery for instance). There are quite a few players who could well go on to have a decent career in the Football League.

Yeah it's certainly an aspect of Koeman reign that i'm not particularly enamoured with in comparison with Poch.

I'm struggling to understand who this wonderful production line of young players that Pochettino supposedly blooded/developed while he was here.

Chambers, fine. Who else?

And Koeman has played Targett in much the same way Poch used Chambers, just probable that Chambers is better. Or should we just play young kids even when we have better players available so divs on here can get all wet about how we are blooding youngsters?

I'm struggling to understand who this wonderful production line of young players that Pochettino supposedly blooded/developed while he was here.

And Koeman has played Targett in much the same way Poch used Chambers, just probable that Chambers is better. Or should we just play young kids even when we have better players available so divs on here can get all wet about how we are blooding youngsters?

My thoughts exactly!!

He did transform Jay Rod. Lallana may have got there anyway but he certainly added something to his game.

Reality now is we haven't got many/any youngsters who are good enough for our level aside from those who have already played in the first team and the likes of Targett and Reed will only figure if there are injuries.

Players of the quality of Shaw don't come around every day, despite the SWF tendancy to pretend they were a lesser player as soon as we have sold them.

Afterall, those few young players were probably a large reason for MP coming to us in the first place and the positve PR he gained from being a good Manager for us has helped elevate his career.

Luckily for him, Spurs will be able to keep their best players for longer than we can (as has already happened with Lloris).

Edited by Saint Charlie

He did transform Jay Rod. Lallana may have got there anyway but he certainly added something to his game.

Reality now is we haven't got many/any youngsters who are good enough for our level aside from those who have already played in the first team and the likes of Targett and Reed will only figure if there are injuries.

Players of the quality of Shaw don't come around every day, despite the SWF tendancy to pretend they were a lesser player as soon as we have sold them.

Afterall, those few young players were probably a large reason for MP coming to us in the first place and the positve PR he gained from being a good Manager for us has helped elevate his career.

Luckily for him, Spurs will be able to keep their best players for longer than we can (as has already happened with Lloris).

A seven million quid signing is blooding a young player now? Right.

Lallana, a central member of the first team squad for the four/five previous seasons is blooding a young player now? Right.

Shaw was obviously a great prospect but we knew that when Adkins picked him, as Koeman would have done too, unless you think Ronald would have not "blooded" one of the most expensive young players in football history.

anyway.......back to Dominic Gape....

he has progressed through the ranks since 16, and in the beginning I read (somewhere) that he was a top-rated Club cricketer before deciding on football as a career.

He has good leadership qualities, and is U21 captain. As memory serves... I can't say that every team captain we have had was always the star player....and although he looks dependable in clips of U21 games...... one can hardly say he was outstanding - no matter.

Players "develop" at certain stages and that point in time cannot be related purely to their birth certificate. It's a lot to do opportunities and staying injury free.

Several of our promising young stars, have had periods out injured and as seen with the likes of Mc Queen and Seager, you don't come back at the top of your game..

In the past the Academy did well in developing left-sided players (with an attacking flair)....when we see the careers of Wayne Bridge, Gareth Bale and Luke Shaw. At present, Matt Targett is next in line, but will find it harder to get past Ryan Bertrand...... than Luke Shaw did to replace Danny Fox.

That means it all down to " opportunity ". Gape (as a midfielder) may find it equally difficult to make a first team breakthough ....as Targett has ...in his position.

Dom Gape may indeed come on in the next season or two, but he must have another class of football to improve himself - if he is to break into the first team squad.

A seven million quid signing is blooding a young player now? Right.

Lallana, a central member of the first team squad for the four/five previous seasons is blooding a young player now? Right.

Shaw was obviously a great prospect but we knew that when Adkins picked him, as Koeman would have done too, unless you think Ronald would have not "blooded" one of the most expensive young players in football history.

Didnt say anything about blooding either Rodriguez or Lallana.

I said Pochettino improved both of them. Which is true.

Read the actual words!

It's the latest little hobby horse for certain types of people isn't it. Our new players are in the main doing well so the "you can't expect to sell your best players every year..." Is redundant until next summer. We're top half of the table and on a decent run until last week, quarter final of the cup. Since jack cork found his level on Swansead bench They can't even play the "we should have kept jack cork" card since he stopped being another one of those amazing players that had their best games when they didnt play. I know, let's moan about Koeman not playing youth. It's an outrage that Harrison Reed and Jake Hesketh are not being picked over experienced international players. This would never have happened under Pochetino

anyway.......back to Dominic Gape....

he has progressed through the ranks since 16, and in the beginning I read (somewhere) that he was a top-rated Club cricketer before deciding on football as a career.

He has good leadership qualities, and is U21 captain. As memory serves... I can't say that every team captain we have had was always the star player....and although he looks dependable in clips of U21 games...... one can hardly say he was outstanding - no matter.

Players "develop" at certain stages and that point in time cannot be related purely to their birth certificate. It's a lot to do opportunities and staying injury free.

Several of our promising young stars, have had periods out injured and as seen with the likes of Mc Queen and Seager, you don't come back at the top of your game..

In the past the Academy did well in developing left-sided players (with an attacking flair)....when we see the careers of Wayne Bridge, Gareth Bale and Luke Shaw. At present, Matt Targett is next in line, but will find it harder to get past Ryan Bertrand...... than Luke Shaw did to replace Danny Fox.

That means it all down to " opportunity ". Gape (as a midfielder) may find it equally difficult to make a first team breakthough ....as Targett has ...in his position.

Dom Gape may indeed come on in the next season or two, but he must have another class of football to improve himself - if he is to break into the first team squad.

I think it's more to do with role than being left sided.

Full backs come through younger, because they don't need so much physicality. A centre back or a centre forward need to make a big physical change, because they won't be battling big teenagers any more, they'll be battling fully grown men, so they come through later. Players who rely on speed, skill and delivering the ball are generally beginning to make their mark in their early twenties, but I have no idea which category Gape fits into.

I thought one of the reasons that Ron was chosen was because he bought into the philosophy of the club - that means bringing through youth. Apparently he had a good record elsewhere. So if he is not using our youth then we need to face the slightly uncomfortable truth that they are simply not good enough and Ron doesn't want to entrust his reputation to them.

Secondly U21 football is useless. Unless a player stands out he is in big trouble when he gets to 21/22/23. Getting too old for the U21's but not pushed into the first team. Footballing no man's land. We can't wait for them to come good at 24/25 because they clog up the squad playing very little football.

Finally as we have more and more money, we have a better first team squad. That means that fewer and fewer local lads will get into the first team. I think that is inevitable. Teams in the championship and lower will be developing British players. Look at City, United, Chelsea, Arsenal etc etc , their youth doesn't make it. That's because they have the money to buy finished products and not gamble on developing players.

He gave Sam Gallagher 18 Prem apps

And now he can't seemingly get a game at Milton Keynes. Something went very wrong with Gallagher, I mean he wasn't ever going to be Harry Kane but he should be able to do something in League 1..

MK Dons are in the championship.

But your point is valid - I think he should go to a league 1 team.

And now he can't seemingly get a game at Milton Keynes. Something went very wrong with Gallagher, I mean he wasn't ever going to be Harry Kane, far too clumsy for that, but he should be able to do something in League 1..

Could be psychological, he had to deal with losing a parent I believe.... or similar. Hope he can fulfil his promise.

saw this article today

Koeman reveals loan bids turned down

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/southampton/koeman-reveals-loan-bids-turned-down-2016675.html#.VlhO24fMXcs

main quote for me

"We had some enquiries for our younger players but we cannot take that risk as our squad is not that big," he said.

that seems to suggest that Koeman will use the academy boys if he has to.

He gave Sam Gallagher 18 Prem apps

How many of those were starts? how many of those were for more than the last ten minutes of games? Genuinely I have no idea but while 18 PL appearances sounds impressive if they were 5-10 minute cameos at the end of game it really doesn't prove much.

Edited by doddisalegend

ow many of those were starts? how many of those were for more than the last ten minutes of games? Genuinely I have no idea but while 18 PL appearances sounds impressive if they were 5-10 minute cameos at the end of game it really doesn't prove much.

well I have some fairly accurate stats. om that ......and I make it that Sam Gallagher had game time in 20 matches.

However, as you pointed out ....it only sounds impressive. He was selected to start in just 2 games mid-season, and also in the last 3 of that season.

In the Cup game v.Yeovil he scored 2nd goal we won 2-0,....and he started Prem. game v. Arsenal. His other was a 97th minute goal v.Norwich we won 4-2.

but didn't score anymore in his remaining apps..

The bulk of the "appearances" were ; 8 times as 3rd sub, 4 times as 2nd sub.and 3 times as 1st sub.on = 15 times as sub. and 5 as first choice.

It's more than any other lad of his generation, (considering that at least 6 others U21's had " some game time " albeit, only in one or two games.

JWP, of course, has (I think) now topped 100 apps.?.... and has been around since 2012.

A lot of happened since , including a protracted period out injured. The 15.(or 20 apps.)referred to looks good for his age greoup, but not being in the first team squad and being out on loan (and then not being played) is a backward step...and in some ways we ought to put the clock back to zero - if we are measuring his progress.

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/southampton/koeman-reveals-loan-bids-turned-down-2016675.html#.VlhO24fMXcs

"We had some enquiries for our younger players but we cannot take that risk as our squad is not that big," he said.

that seems to suggest that Koeman will use the academy boys if he has to.

That's true, if he has to he will use them.

But if he isn't forced he probably won't. He said this in the press conference yesterday as well. Got to be said that we would have to have a serious injury crisis to mean going outside the current first team squad, which I make at least 23 not counting the wounded.

That's true, if he has to he will use them.

But if he isn't forced he probably won't. He said this in the press conference yesterday as well. Got to be said that we would have to have a serious injury crisis to mean going outside the current first team squad, which I make at least 23 not counting the wounded.

LOL. The days of the relentless production line of one player that Pochettino blooded for us seem like a distant memory.

Oh so many, many player that he blooded.

Maybe this is why Poch is doing so well (article is a year old but relevant I think) with youth at Spurs

Tottenham academy is now better than Southampton's, claims Mauricio Pochettino

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/11305307/Tottenham-academy-is-now-better-than-Southamptons-claims-Mauricio-Pochettino.html

and just for CB fry taken from the article (not my view) :D

Pochettino became used to dipping into the academy during his time in charge of Southampton

I think the one thing we have seen since Ron took over is we've started to loan out our youngsters, which is a good thing imo if they're not ready to slot straight into the squad give them a year or 6 months playing in the championship, league 1/2 playing against men some of which are very decent players is a lot better than the youth league's!

Another article where poch explains his youth philosophy

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11675/10060961/mauricio-pochettino-explains-the-philosophy-tottenhams-successful-young-players

Which errrr sounds very much like the Southampton youth philosophy....

"Different young players are now with us in the squad, training every day and playing with the U21s. It's to give them the confidence and trust, and to feel they are part of the squad."