Dominic Gape

norwaysaint

Yeovil seem to have bevvy of trialists on parade for their pre-season friendlies. Gape doesn't seem to be named but Bevis Mugabi does.

You sure, his name appears just below Mugabi's, about the 6th post down:

Josh Ezewele, Bevis Mugabi, Snorre Nilsen, Trialist X

Josh Wakefield, Joe Lea, Dominic Gape,

You sure, his name appears just below Mugabi's, about the 6th post down:

Josh Ezewele, Bevis Mugabi, Snorre Nilsen, Trialist X

Josh Wakefield, Joe Lea, Dominic Gape,

I only looked briefly at the match report on their official site. Wasn't all that interested really. It's obvious that these lads have little or no future with Saints As I said long ago, they're either in the reckoning for the first team at 19 or 20 or they're future candidates for Yeovil and Swindon.

I only looked briefly at the match report on their official site. Wasn't all that interested really. It's obvious that these lads have little or no future with Saints As I said long ago, they're either in the reckoning for the first team at 19 or 20 or they're future candidates for Yeovil and Swindon.

Dom was in the reckoning though, even Koeman gave him a PL debut against Everton in 2014 (sub for Long), albeit very short one. He got a new contract last year until 2017 and was captain of the u21s last season. Why did we bother extending his contract last season and then making him u21 captain? Of course he is no longer u21, so something has to give I guess. Sometimes think we hang on to some of our youngsters too long, we should probably be more ruthless.

Dom was in the reckoning though, even Koeman gave him a PL debut against Everton in 2014 (sub for Long), albeit very short one. He got a new contract last year until 2017 and was captain of the u21s last season. Why did we bother extending his contract last season and then making him u21 captain? Of course he is no longer u21

The development league for 2016/17 is no longer under 21s, it is under 23s plus an overage keeper & 3 overage outfield players.

We may have great facilities but they don’t count for much without the right coaching staff, and the turnover of coaches in our Academy seems to be very high. Players in the upper age groups don’t seem to have progressed much since Dodd and Williams were sacked. I notice the club is now advertising for a new assistant coach for the U18s. Does that mean another one has been sacked? From what I saw of the academy games last season, and I saw quite a few, the most promising players, like Sims, Gape, Gallagher and Reed, all seem to have gone backwards. We don’t appear to have a single player in the current England U19s squad, which is doing so well in Europe. Luke Shaw gives a lot of the credit for his development to Dodd. Would it be possible to get him back again?

We may have great facilities but they don’t count for much without the right coaching staff, and the turnover of coaches in our Academy seems to be very high. Players in the upper age groups don’t seem to have progressed much since Dodd and Williams were sacked. I notice the club is now advertising for a new assistant coach for the U18s. Does that mean another one has been sacked? From what I saw of the academy games last season, and I saw quite a few, the most promising players, like Sims, Gape, Gallagher and Reed, all seem to have gone backwards. We don’t appear to have a single player in the current England U19s squad, which is doing so well in Europe. Luke Shaw gives a lot of the credit for his development to Dodd. Would it be possible to get him back again?

I wouldn't have thought Sims, Gape, Gallagher and Reed featured for the academy sides much last season. U21's yeah, but that's coached by a different setup.

We're clearly trying to bring in fresh talent from elsewhere as we're aware it has been a bit light, hence the likes of freeman joining. I think the academy is one of the last things you can start to question at our club though.

The development league for 2016/17 is no longer under 21s, it is under 23s plus an overage keeper & 3 overage outfield players.

Are you sure about this? Never seen or heard about this change that was mooted by Greg Dyke back in 2014 along with other changes. All the Clubs, including Saints, seem to be preparing for an u21 competition this season (though there are no fixtures out yet) and u21 also coincides with the Football League Trophy rules (albeit with slightly different dates for the definition of u21). If you are right (and you usually are) I'm genuinely interested to know why this has not been publicised more widely, where it is confirmed and why the club is preparing for u21 football this season.

[unable to come back on this earlier as I had used up my 3 posts for the day]

Are you sure about this? Never seen or heard about this change that was mooted by Greg Dyke back in 2014 along with other changes. All the Clubs, including Saints, seem to be preparing for an u21 competition this season (though there are no fixtures out yet) and u21 also coincides with the Football League Trophy rules (albeit with slightly different dates for the definition of u21). If you are right (and you usually are) I'm genuinely interested to know why this has not been publicised more widely, where it is confirmed and why the club is preparing for u21 football this season.

[unable to come back on this earlier as I had used up my 3 posts for the day]

Beginning to think you may have made this up...

• 1 month later...

Dom Gape is a talented sportsman for whom football might not have been his only option but now at the age of 21 this is his committed career. The news about him being loaned to Wycombe was on the OS on 31 Aug and suggests that his chance of staying in the First Team squad here might have gone, but players can continue to develop well into their 20s. Jamie Vardy, for example, was moving from Halifax to Fleetwood, in the Conference Premier when he was 24 and a year later was in the Championship with Leicester. As all Saints' fans know, Jose Fonte is one of our best examples of late development. It might yet be premature to write Dom Gape off if he can stand out during this loan spell. At the moment, after 6 games, Wykeham are struggling at the foot of the L2 table so you have to wonder if this will be the best place for him to show what he can do. He has made his first appearance for The Chairboys, coming on as a second half sub in the 4-1 defeat by Luton on Saturday but it is a shame that our people couldn't find somewhere more promising for him to go to. The loan is until January, so at least he isn't committed to a struggling team for the whole season.

Dom Gape is a talented sportsman for whom football might not have been his only option but now at the age of 21 this is his committed career. The news about him being loaned to Wycombe was on the OS on 31 Aug and suggests that his chance of staying in the First Team squad here might have gone, but players can continue to develop well into their 20s. Jamie Vardy, for example, was moving from Halifax to Fleetwood, in the Conference Premier when he was 24 and a year later was in the Championship with Leicester. As all Saints' fans know, Jose Fonte is one of our best examples of late development. It might yet be premature to write Dom Gape off if he can stand out during this loan spell. At the moment, after 6 games, Wykeham are struggling at the foot of the L2 table so you have to wonder if this will be the best place for him to show what he can do. He has made his first appearance for The Chairboys, coming on as a second half sub in the 4-1 defeat by Luton on Saturday but it is a shame that our people couldn't find somewhere more promising for him to go to. The loan is until January, so at least he isn't committed to a struggling team for the whole season.

Understand the obvious concerns but maybe having to fight it out for a team like Wycombe with a small squad, young manager and challenging season may actually have a positive effect both on his on the field ability and resilience. If you can deal with the pressure of putting in a shocker of a performance for a struggling club where relegation has an immediate impact on the livelihoods of many around the club then still have it in you to go out the next week and still try and play the right way then that would show the sort of character needed to forge a decent career.

It certainly didn't do Jason McCarthy any harm.

Hope Dom makes a similar impact and hope to see Wycombe start to reverse the slide.

U21s on youtube yes, that is neither here nor there, he's 21, been at the club for years and is no nearer the 1st XI than he was

a couple of years back. These lads will either make the grade by the time they're 19 or 20 or will just peter out as have done so many before them. You've got to be farkin good to be a PL player, even on the periphery of it and whilst these lads obviously have some attributes they obviously don't have what it takes to make the big step up.

It's a bit harsh to suggest that all players will never make the grade if they haven't done it by 20, even though they may not have here. Some take longer to develop and become successful at a top level. Others don't necessarily find their best position here - Phillips always comes to mind. Saints saw him as defender, but elsewhere he became a top striker.

I was very shocked when Dodd and Williams were suddenly sacked, and there has never really been an insightful explanation as to why. What was going on at the academy and club at the time? I agree that since D & W left the Academy hasn't seemed to improve much. Is there a wider coincidence that following Shaw's criticism about their sacking the big exodus of Shaw, Lallana, Poch and others began? Is there a reason why Academy talent aren't progressing as well as in Dods's and William's day?

How's Callum Slattery getting on? He was muted as the next big thing to come out the Academy, but didn't notice him in pre season or anything.

Was linked with a few 'bigger' clubs but has had some bad luck with injury, still early days though so may kick on this season. Personally would love to see a few from the academy force themselves into the first team picture by the end of the season.

I don't think he was 'muted' at all, but I belive he did have an injury.

Are you sure? Don't footballers have volume buttons? Or maybe he was just gagged? :mcinnes: Still, gives me a chance to use the skaticon.

Anyway, back to Gape and the reference to McCarthy. Loved at Wycombe according to their forums, not so at Walsall - see the "Up the Saddlers" website, especially the match reports. It will be interesting to see how he develops. Think it's about time a few of the older ones also got some development away at some point (subject to the new rules now in place of course).

I was very shocked when Dodd and Williams were suddenly sacked, and there has never really been an insightful explanation as to why. What was going on at the academy and club at the time? I agree that since D & W left the Academy hasn't seemed to improve much. Is there a wider coincidence that following Shaw's criticism about their sacking the big exodus of Shaw, Lallana, Poch and others began? Is there a reason why Academy talent aren't progressing as well as in Dods's and William's day?

To be frank, hte U18s have been cr@p since Dodd and Williams were sacked. Dodd is coaching at Winchester College and Williams is coaching the England U16s. They'd probably be happy to come back here once Les Reed has gone. The turnover of staff in all departments has been phenomenal since Reed assumed control. He just dossn't seem to get on with anyone. There is very little continuity at any level.

To be frank, hte U18s have been cr@p since Dodd and Williams were sacked. Dodd is coaching at Winchester College and Williams is coaching the England U16s. They'd probably be happy to come back here once Les Reed has gone. The turnover of staff in all departments has been phenomenal since Reed assumed control. He just dossn't seem to get on with anyone. There is very little continuity at any level.

If Dodd is such a brilliant coach why can't he get a better job than putting cones out at a College?

If Dodd is such a brilliant coach why can't he get a better job than putting cones out at a College?

Quite. Dodd and Williams were poor coaches. They had the respect of the kids as they'd been there and done it, particularly Dodd. They were also good at was keeping the kids grounded. The kids loved them but that did not make them good at the important bit of making them better players.

• 2 weeks later...
Quite. Dodd and Williams were poor coaches. They had the respect of the kids as they'd been there and done it, particularly Dodd. They were also good at was keeping the kids grounded. The kids loved them but that did not make them good at the important bit of making them better players.

Doddsy was a motivator. He got the lads to play and train their best but he was not a tactician so couldn't change a losing game. The best coach Saints academy had was Steve Moss.

BTW So pleased for Dom Gape. His goal was scored with composure.

High hopes that Dom Gape will become a first team regular for Saints. He is 22 now and this loan spell could be the making of him although I see that according to the report by SFC Media on the new OS he's playing for the choirboys. Let down by spellchecker once again.

Doddsy was a motivator. He got the lads to play and train their best but he was not a tactician so couldn't change a losing game. The best coach Saints academy had was Steve Moss.

BTW So pleased for Dom Gape. His goal was scored with composure.

Agreed that he was a motivator but that's not what the kids need. They need to be coached to improve as players. Doddsy and Williams couldn't develop them as players hence they went. Yes Doddsy served us proud but that doesn't mean he's a great youth coach - his absence from the pro game says it all.

Agreed that he was a motivator but that's not what the kids need. They need to be coached to improve as players. Doddsy and Williams couldn't develop them as players hence they went. Yes Doddsy served us proud but that doesn't mean he's a great youth coach - his absence from the pro game says it all.

There is a goodly number of players who had excellent personal careers, but who were total misfits as managers. .

If you want to go back far enough...it's at least half of the 1966 World Cup side to start with..and quite a lot since.

In truth....Ronald Koeman is a rare exception for someone who had a top class career and also has good manager / coaching skills ..(or so we seem to think at present).

• 1 month later...
Southampton loanee climbs off his sick bed to star for Wycombe Wanderers

So highly does Gareth Ainsworth rate Dominic Gape that he's willing to play him even when the midfielder has been chucking up all week.

Gape, who Ainsworth has compared to former Chairboys favourite Josh Scowen, has been a revelation in the Wycombe Wanderers midfield since joining on loan from Southampton back in the summer.

He managed 45 minutes against Morecambe on Saturday, but when he was withdrawn at half time, it was nothing to do with the nasty clattering he took during the opening exchanges.

Manager Ainsworth said: “Dom's been ill all week. He was in bed Monday to Thursday, then came in Friday white as a sheet. He hasn't eaten properly, so it was a big call to play him.

“At half time, my medical team, who I will listen to no matter what, made a call and said that's enough for Dominic.

“He's not been able to get enough fuel in the bank this week. He's a cracking kid who will run his socks off for you, but we will never risk anyone.”

Gape's loan spell will be up once the January transfer window opens, but Ainsworth is already making plans to sweet talk Southampton into letting him keep the youngster a bit longer.

He said: “Dom's a great player, and he's not in a Premier League academy for nothing. He's part of my plans. Make no bones about it, I will be trying to keep my best players here, and he's one of the best.”

Ainsworth was also impressed with the impact his old warhorse, Marcus Bean, had on the game when he replaced Gape at the interval.

He added: “On comes Marcus Bean, and after taking a few minutes to get into it and getting done a few times, he was solid. He broke up so much, so having players like him to come in is brilliant for me.”

Source: http://www.getbucks.co.uk/sport/football/southampton-loanee-climbs-sick-bed-12170998?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Doesn't seem like they were doing too bad a job compared to those in charge now does it !?

They will be dancing in the streets of Bridport tonight.

*Burton bradstock, just down the road. But I take your point!

Good to see him doing well, always thought he might make the break through with us but his progress seemed to stall and it never quite happened.