What's wrong with Martina?

kitch

Is he really that bad, that RK would rather play a back-up CB in the full-back role? I know his previous club said we were welcome to him, but on the odd occasions I've been to SMS and seen him, he's looked ok. He's no Clyne, but quick enough, ok on the ball, tracked back etc.

Am I missing something? And Cedric's not always picked - is he injury prone or something? Surely RK isn't, playing Yoshi in preference to Cedric?

Apologies if it's already going on in another thread, ain't been in here in awhile.

Is he really that bad, that RK would rather play a back-up CB in the full-back role? I know his previous club said we were welcome to him, but on the odd occasions I've been to SMS and seen him, he's looked ok. He's no Clyne, but quick enough, ok on the ball, tracked back etc.

Am I missing something? And Cedric's not always picked - is he injury prone or something? Surely RK isn't, playing Yoshi in preference to Cedric?

Apologies if it's already going on in another thread, ain't been in here in awhile.

Who can possibly try to guess the real reasons for any of the strange, quirky tricks the manager plays on us with his team selections from time to time.

The Europa League shouldn't have been a reason to sign him.

If he isn't deemed good enough for the Premier League then why would he be good enough for the Europa League?

Seems like a case of a signing for the sake of it, potentially at the expense of someone like Jack Stephens playing a squad role and almost certain we wouldnt have signed him if Erwin Koeman hadnt managed him before.

If they thought Cedric was going to need time to settle they should have got someone better.

Only a short time ago we had Clyne and Chambers!

He was clearly signed as cover across the back 4. At the time we only had 2 senior CBs and knew we wouldn't get vvd until end Aug. Bertrsnd was also injured and we only had Cedric to cover RB. Lack of confidence in McCarthy, Stephens and Turnbull meant we went for a cheapo emergency cover. Daft really but probably seemed a good idea at the time. No one foresaw Cedric haing recurring eye problems either, he was brought in as backup to Clyne but knowing that Clyne might still leave which of course is what transpired. Now we seem to be stuck with Cuca who is really not good enough for the PL.

Edited by VectisSaint

I think we signed him due to the various injuries. With Gardos out long-term, Bertrand out short-term, no-cover at RB with a new untried RB coming in and a youngster as cover at LB, it made sense to try and sign a utility player (just should have been a better one). We couldn't have been that convinced, as he only got a 2yr deal - didn't he? Which is strange for the PL at his age and goes against the general policy of improving the squad. He'll end up on loan to a Dutch club next season.

I think we signed him due to the various injuries. With Gardos out long-term, Bertrand out short-term, no-cover at RB with a new untried RB coming in and a youngster as cover at LB, it made sense to try and sign a utility player (just should have been a better one). We couldn't have been that convinced, as he only got a 2yr deal - didn't he? Which is strange for the PL at his age and goes against the general policy of improving the squad. He'll end up on loan to a Dutch club next season.

Or hopefully even sooner...Waste of space, time and money..got to be because Yoshida starts at RB.

I'd like to see him and Juanmi loaned out to the Championship in January since they serve little use for us at the moment. With some playing time under their belts, we can judge them a bit better.

Koeman was quoted as saying he said no to a number of under 21 player loans because the squad isn't deep enough so I don't think he will loan out those two. Juanmi might get a chance with injuries and suspensions at some stage and then will be up to him to stake a claim on a regular spot. Clearly Martina will get a go when hell freezes over and Doris the tea lady is injured and there is literally no one else to play ....unless a fan brought his football boots in that day in which case Martina can go back to the bench.

Martina was signed on a (relatively) short term deal to cover the back 4 when it consisted of

Cedric (injured), Fonte, Yoshida and Targett.

Bertrand was out for a further 6 weeks, even McCarthy was injured, Gardos was injured, and Caulker and Van Dijk were still playing for other clubs at the time.

Wouldn't be surprised if Cedric was rested on the weekend, though he could also have been left out as a concussion precaution after a LOT of head injuries this season.

Martina was signed on a (relatively) short term deal to cover the back 4 when it consisted of

Cedric (injured), Fonte, Yoshida and Targett.

Bertrand was out for a further 6 weeks, even McCarthy was injured, Gardos was injured, and Caulker and Van Dijk were still playing for other clubs at the time.

Wouldn't be surprised if Cedric was rested on the weekend, though he could also have been left out as a concussion precaution after a LOT of head injuries this season.

good analysis, but let's hope we don't have to use him too much all the same....but then again....who knows?.

Strange signing for me. The few times he has come on he offers no defensive solidity and has no attacking threat. I like the comparison some have made with Jermaine Wright, and I'd add he reminds me of Graham Potter who Souness signed back in the 90's. He looked like he didn't know what to do and so does this fella.

I'm surprised everyone's talking about how bad he is when he's barely kicked a ball for us.

Don't get me wrong - the manager obviously sees the players day-in-day out in training and he's clearly seen enough to make up his mind - but people are talking about Martina being terrible and awful and whatnot as if he's been in the starting XI for half a season.

I'm surprised everyone's talking about how bad he is when he's barely kicked a ball for us.

Don't get me wrong - the manager obviously sees the players day-in-day out in training and he's clearly seen enough to make up his mind - but people are talking about Martina being terrible and awful and whatnot as if he's been in the starting XI for half a season.

Sometimes the proof is not in what you see but in what you don't see. You didn't see Martina starting at RB last Saturday so that means he's not seen as being "as good as" Yoshida, thus you've gotta know that he's not great.

Edited by Window Cleaner