Ronald Koeman in talks with Saints over possible new five-year contract

Saint-Armstrong

I heard the interview live on the radio this morning by chance. It was all in a joking way, nothing serious.

I presumed that that was the case, what with the hoping Gh would put in a good word. But then the following bit about always wanting to do better (which of course is natural) rather detracts from the jocularity of it. Many a true word is spoken in jest and is Koeman really that naive?

I heard the interview live on the radio this morning by chance. It was all in a joking way, nothing serious.

Of course it was. But he is experienced to know it would be picked up and does himself no harm.

Saints do seem to bring upon themselves a fair share of 'negative' press versus other midtable sides.

I was thinking this! Thanks for the confirmation

Even if he did want to go their before his contract ends he wouldn't be that stupid surely!?

Of course he would want the Chelsea job, why wouldnt he ? He has no real emotional ties to us only those that have been forged recently

Anyone with their knickers in a twist over this needs to get a grip really, it'll be a shame he left but not disasterous, plus it differs from Poch as IMO Chelsea are a much bigger step. My worry is that it parallels the Poch exit due to the 'lack of ambition' vibes in and around the club, but nothing more than a worry.

For what its worth it won't happen, Ill be shocked if Chelsea want Koeman

Of course he would want the Chelsea job, why wouldnt he ? He has no real emotional ties to us only those that have been forged recently

Anyone with their knickers in a twist over this needs to get a grip really, it'll be a shame he left but not disasterous, plus it differs from Poch as IMO Chelsea are a much bigger step. My worry is that it parallels the Poch exit due to the 'lack of ambition' vibes in and around the club, but nothing more than a worry.

For what its worth it won't happen, Ill be shocked if Chelsea want Koeman

Not the fact he would go to Chelsea but more that public comment albeit a joke. I don't care and is nothing story really but gives the Mirror their 'exclusive'.

The last comment shows what a piece of utter tripe this article is - concentrates on Koeman's misinterpreted comment about the youth side which he has already explained.

Yet another reason I don't bother with the media anymore - they cannot report simple facts accurately and just can't help twisting things. Never forget their agenda is to sell their paper so they will always make things as sensational as possible.

The last comment shows what a piece of utter tripe this article is - concentrates on Koeman's misinterpreted comment about the youth side which he has already explained.

Yet another reason I don't bother with the media anymore - they cannot report simple facts accurately and just can't help twisting things. Never forget their agenda is to sell their paper so they will always make things as sensational as possible.

Usually I would agree with you but he's made quotes and if you read the article further he says he came to this country to manage at the very top level. Whether he meant it or not the papers always going to jump on a comment like that.

Usually I would agree with you but he's made quotes and if you read the article further he says he came to this country to manage at the very top level. Whether he meant it or not the papers always going to jump on a comment like that.

I've read the article and it doesn't say that anywhere. Just a generic wish to "manage at the highest level'.

You've "jumped on" a comment you've made up yourself.

Hey, fingers crossed our next manager has no desire to be the best he can be. That would be brilliant.

I've read the article and it doesn't say that anywhere. Just a generic wish to "manage at the highest level'.

You've "jumped on" a comment you've made up yourself.

Hey, fingers crossed our next manager has no desire to be the best he can be. That would be brilliant.

You don't really get it do you? There's a time and a place for saying things.

You don't really get it do you? There's a time and a place for saying things.

so what happens when he is being interviewed and is asked a specific question? its a natural response to answer a hypothetical question. it means nothing in real life. im really happy running my business but if asked whether id sell it for 1.5 million quid right now id say yes. whether i would if it was a realistic offer at this point in time is a whole other question

The time being twenty minutes ago and the place being Roger's head.

Mate you are pathetic. Read Adam Blackmore comments on Twitter. He's got the full transcript, when asked about Chelsea at end of season he says "we have to wait on that one". In you're world everything is perfect at the club all the time and anyone suggesting otherwise is mad.

Edited by Roger

Mate you are pathetic. Read Adam Blackmore comments on Twitter. He's got the full transcript, when asked about Chelsea at end of season he says "we gave them a wait on that one". In you're world everything is perfect at the club all the time and anyone suggesting otherwise is mad.

In my world you're a total fantasist. Great work though.

how do we definitely know he was joking? is it true or what we want to believe?

Koeman isn't stupid. He knows that anythijg he says will become news. Probably how he wants it...

He obviously doesn't see his career high in England as a Manager being 7th place.

But, as he has showed in his whole time with us, he is honest and never really shirks a question.

No but I'd expect more respect for us than the comments he has said. Board have backed him with Austin who must be on big wages and things getting better and then this. Bet the players will feel a bit unsettled from that. If I was the club I wouldn't be happy with him for that.

Koeman isn't stupid. He knows that anythijg he says will become news. Probably how he wants it...

He obviously doesn't see his career high in England as a Manager being 7th place.

But, as he has showed in his whole time with us, he is honest and never really shirks a question.

I like RK and hope he stays with us , but fact is though he hasn't really shown at any of his previous clubs that he is a manager likely to achieve a great deal more.

Be very surprised if Abramovic would be that interested given his track record, and no experience of Champions League as a manager. If you look at the possible names they've been linked with, Pep, Simeone, Juventus bloke, there will be quite a few ahead of RK in the pecking order. Unless of course Hiddink has worked himself a senior role as a DOF, and RK would work with him (but given RK does not like working undr others - LVG for example - this seems unlikely).

I think Big Ron as been very naive if he thought this wouldn't be picked up because the interview was in Dutch. Especially in the UK where the tabloids look to sensationalize anything to do with football. Whether it was said in a joking manner or not, the words used in response to the questions asked have the potential to destabilize the club in the media at what is a crucial point in the season. I expected Ron to be a bit more savvy with what he says in public - he must know by now how the UK media works, especially after the crucifixion of Mourinho this season. I can only conclude then that he is bringing pressure to bear on the club in his contract negotiations. Still bad form to have it out in the open like this.

Well, his career high in Spain and Portugal didn't really amount to much - his seventh place finish with us is his strongest achievement outside of Holland. Let's not pretend he is some mega manager.

I think Big Ron as been very naive if he thought this wouldn't be picked up because the interview was in Dutch. Especially in the UK where the tabloids look to sensationalize anything to do with football. Whether it was said in a joking manner or not, the words used in response to the questions asked have the potential to destabilize the club in the media at what is a crucial point in the season. I expected Ron to be a bit more savvy with what he says in public - he must know by now how the UK media works, especially after the crucifixion of Mourinho this season. I can only conclude then that he is bringing pressure to bear on the club in his contract negotiations. Still bad form to have it out in the open like this.

Spot on.

Except Les and Co can be secure in the knowledge that he isn't going to be Chelsea manager.

That kinda helps the negotiations.