Saints vs. WBA build up thread

Dark Munster

I've often thought that this face palm chap seems to remind me of Desmod Lynham, or Father Ted in civvies, had to get that off my chest, thats all.

Close-ish.

Tis Iain McInnes. :mcinnes: The Father of the fish-f*ckers' 5th or 6th or 7th attempt (too many to remember) at running a football club without using dubious sources of dodgy cash that does not belong to them, such as loan sharks, child-maiming arms dealers, tax evasion, theft from local charities and businesses, poor lithuianian pensioners' life savings, plummetting into administration and blowing off the subsequent CVA's. :p

He's got a lot to get off his chest too, as it happens. About 3 stone of fat for starters. Been drinking from the taps too much at Fatpipes Park, I suspects. ;)

West Brom are likely to sit back in numbers and only have one striker, in which case there would be little need for Saints to have 3 centre backs like last night.

Would agree, but I think Ron has intimated the same line-up. Perhaps it's red herring...who knows. Personally I would like to see us with a bit more attacking prowess so 4-4-2 would be great with Tadic in and Long/Mane up front.

The trouble is, Ronald never seems to substitute before 60 minutes, when someone has been having a a mare and change is almost too late

He probably plays fantasy football and knows how annoying it is when one of your players gets subbed before the hour.

Would agree, but I think Ron has intimated the same line-up. Perhaps it's red herring...who knows. Personally I would like to see us with a bit more attacking prowess so 4-4-2 would be great with Tadic in and Long/Mane up front.

Don't think we've played 442 against anyone in the last few years, would be surprised if we go and play it now.

I reckon Pelle will be back in but Long played brilliant so I reckon he could stay. My Guess -

----------------------------Forster------------------------------

Cedric---------Fonte------------------VvD-------------Bertrand

--------------Clasie------------------Romeu---------------------

-------Long---------------Davis------------------Mane-----------

---------------------------Pelle-------------------------------------

With Vic, Tadic, Targett, Juanmi, Yoshi on the bench.

Pretty strong.

Surely if WBA only play one up front away, why not stick with 3 at the back, 4 in the middle (2 wide) Davis all over the place and 2 up front? Start with Pelle maybe as he is fresh, Long 2nd half or vice versa and Mane. Our width was so much better against WetFord with so many crosses causing problems all game. I think RoKo has found the best formation against the bottom half of the Premier League

because he is not fully match fit

he will start saturday and will not come off, regardless on how crap he plays unless he is injured

we will lump the ball up to him, he will get dominated by their CBs and will get away with it as they 'play deeper'

instead, we should stick with long and mane and move their pretty static defence around a bit

does long deserve to be dropped? does he shyte

my team..

Forster

Cedric Fonte VvD Bertrand

Davis Clasie Rom Tadic

Mane

Long

Pelle got 20 minutes against Watford. Does that make him match fit? I agree that Long doesn't deserve to be dropped but his selection is nothing to do with what he deserves. If Pelle plays it's because, amongst other factors; a) he's match fit and b) Koeman thinks he's more suitable against a side that sits back. On the other hand their CBs have played well against Pelle/Lambert as far as I can recall and the arguments for Long are confidence and that he's an ex-player of WBA. Difficult call and will be interesting to see which way it goes.

Pelle got 20 minutes against Watford. Does that make him match fit? I agree that Long doesn't deserve to be dropped but his selection is nothing to do with what he deserves. If Pelle plays it's because, amongst other factors; a) he's match fit and b) Koeman thinks he's more suitable against a side that sits back. On the other hand their CBs have played well against Pelle/Lambert as far as I can recall and the arguments for Long are confidence and that he's an ex-player of WBA. Difficult call and will be interesting to see which way it goes.

Do you expect two good games from Long in a week given the intensity he tries to play at ?

Stek our only injury, so Forster will keep his place - will be like that all season I think.

I agree. The presence Forster has meant the whole defence played better too. Such an important player to have back. It all starts with the keeper, and FFs a 'monster'

STILL a Forster/Davis bench combo! Are we ever going to see the day when we have a good keeper in goal and a fairly competent one on the bench?

I didn't get why we suddenly reverted back to Davis on Wednesday, I prefer to see Gazza on the bench if Stek isn't available (in fact I prefer to have Gazza even if Stek is available). I hope it was just that Gazza had played on Monday night after Fraser was pulled from the u21 squad.

WBA will be without Morrison, so Gardener and his hammer right foot is likely to play..

Olsson doubtful too apparently..

Just give the buggers no corners so they can't send up their herd of giraffes to threaten our goal... Otherwise we should have the pace and guile to beat this lot.

would start with same side, playing Pelle may play to WBA strengths.

Weds was first time for ages I enjoyed our attacking play from midfield and forwards running behind defenders

Pelle we start at the expense of either mane or long centrally. You know it, I know it

would start with same side, playing Pelle may play to WBA strengths.

Weds was first time for ages I enjoyed our attacking play from midfield and forwards running behind defenders

3 centre backs worked well vs Watford because we had a centre back on each of Ighalo and Deeney and one spare as cover.

West Brom are likely to sit deep in numbers with only Rondon upfront. Little need for us to have 3 centre backs vs one striker, so I think we'll go back to the usual 4-2-3-1 system.

I didn't get why we suddenly reverted back to Davis on Wednesday, I prefer to see Gazza on the bench if Stek isn't available (in fact I prefer to have Gazza even if Stek is available). I hope it was just that Gazza had played on Monday night after Fraser was pulled from the u21 squad.

I guess because Gazza played Monday night - he ought to be ahead of Sooper Kel on Saturday I guess as Stek's out.

3 centre backs worked well vs Watford because we had a centre back on each of Ighalo and Deeney and one spare as cover.

West Brom are likely to sit deep in numbers with only Rondon upfront. Little need for us to have 3 centre backs vs one striker, so I think we'll go back to the usual 4-2-3-1 system.

understand but that formation has not worked so well this season, to predictable, and we struggle to break down sides who sit back, we need to draw them out something and sticking Pelle down the middle with no close support will, IMO, fail

Why not start Pelle and Long against a side that will come for a draw? Get as many goal threats on as possible. We started with 2 real attackers against Watford, 1 of them scored.

Let's at very least start with 3, if not 4 like a proper home team. Long, Pelle, Tadic and Mane and we could hammer them. Even Davis on the right, Tadic left with 2 up front would be an improvement.

I wouldn't underestimate how eager Pelle is to get back and score either. He hasn't had many spells out in the last few years and won't want to see Long take his place. He's got the main striker role for Italy at the Euros up for grabs, maybe his only chance. He could have a great few months for us.

Tadic, Mane, Long and Pelle all on at once usually never work. 3 of them at any one time does, but 4 usually doesn't. One example of that would be Aston Villa last season away (1-1).

Thought we'd turned the corner with the arsenal match but it proved to be a false dawn as we went on to lose three in a row with generally terrible performances, will it be a case of the same put in a decent performance when we really have to & follow it up with the same old rubbish?

Just looked on our ticket site and pretty much every block is unavailable and only really singles left in the others. Is this right? With their low allocation and the game on Wednesday I had this down as struggling to get close to 30k.

If accurate the OS showing just 27 seats, all singles, remaining for home fans. Man U away next week sold out and (on UI) earlier today only 50 tickets left of the 3,000 Arsenal tickets. Fans keeping the faith.

Tough one tomorrow, early goal for us would help against a Pulis side. Think we'll edge it.

Gazza showed himself to be a competent keeper. I'd put him at very least on a level with Stek and with years left to improve. No idea why Davis is there instead.

Davis is a good keeper. People slag him off for conceding two late on against Leicester. But it was Leicester probably the best team in the league.....

Davis is a good keeper. People slag him off for conceding two late on against Leicester. But it was Leicester probably the best team in the league.....

If you think Davis is still a good keeper and that the Leicester game is the only reason people think otherwise, you must have missed his other performances over the last few years.

You really think it was just about Leicester? He is not good enough any more, arguably hasn't been good enough for a few years. Great servant to the club, nice bloke, but he needs to retire.