Saints are 'increasingly hopeful' on Victor Wanyana signing a new deal

Saint-Armstrong

• 2 months later...

Koeman said today Reed is talking to Wanyama's agent but didnt know how it was going.

Said we want to keep him but also dont want him to enter the final year of his contract.

Very similar to the Clyne situation and probably depends if there are any genuine offers for VW. If there are then would seem likely he will go.

Koeman said today Reed is talking to Wanyama's agent but didnt know how it was going.

Said we want to keep him but also dont want him to enter the final year of his contract.

Very similar to the Clyne situation and probably depends if there are any genuine offers for VW. If there are then would seem likely he will go.

very similar to his own situation then

very similar to his own situation then

No it isn't it's a completely different situation. Koeman doesn't have a huge transfer fee at risk if he goes into the last year of his contract. Koeman has said on many occasions he'll see out his contract. Koeman has said he'll discuss his contract in the summer. Koeman hasn't been "unsettled" by Spurs. Koeman didn't refuse to manage the team for important games because his head wasn't right. Koeman doesn't keep taking out oppositions managers and getting himself banned for nearly a third of the season. Koeman doesn't toss it off against lesser teams and pull his finger out to manage a lot better in big games to audition for move there. Now go along and finish cooking the captains sausages.

I'd be surprised if Spurs are still interested. He wouldn't get in their side over Dembele and Dier.

Exactly, not like they're struggling with Alli able to drop back, Mason and Bentaleb knocking about too.

Might be easier to persuade Vic to sign a new deal if the club can get Ron to sign one.

Would be a real statement of the club's ambition.

Doubt it Victor has wanted out the whole time Koeman has been here. Victor ( or his agent) has spent the last two seasons mentioning his love of arsenal and spurs and his desire to move to those clubs....though I'm sure he would take city, man u, Liverpool or Chelsea If offered.

Victor will be gone this summer hopefully the club has a replacement lined up.l

Exactly, not like they're struggling with Alli able to drop back, Mason and Bentaleb knocking about too.

Sadly disagree. It's Spurs' weakest area and Mason and Bentaleb aren't the same quality as the rest of the first choice 25. Expect Poch to want another top DCM and VW fits the bill.

Sadly disagree. It's Spurs' weakest area and Mason and Bentaleb aren't the same quality as the rest of the first choice 25. Expect Poch to want another top DCM and VW fits the bill.

I expect their black box might highlight his distribution ain't what it should be.

I expect their black box might highlight his distribution ain't what it should be.

Which is something of a popular myth since Vic's passing and distribution is pretty good and if he goes to Spurs he will give them qualities they don't already have.

Which is something of a popular myth since Vic's passing and distribution is pretty good and if he goes to Spurs he will give them qualities they don't already have.

Passes under 10 yards, or under no pressure, or playing backwards, yes he's fantastic.

But when he gets over the half way line and is trying to accurately pick someone out he struggles.

Maybe he is better away from home but all the home games I've seen him play his passing is usual average at best fine playing short passes side ways but anything more is beyond him most of the time. Certainly far short of Morgan's passing when played for us.

I'd be surprised if Spurs are still interested. He wouldn't get in their side over Dembele and Dier.

They need to boost their squad for the champions league.

Levy loves a bargain and with a year left on his deal, I can see this being a long & drawn out affair.

Which decent level central midfielders have worse passing?

What will he do for Spurs that they don't already have?

Which decent level central midfielders have worse passing?

What will he do for Spurs that they don't already have?

He would provide the biting defensive shield for the Belgian CB's - his aerial work is akin to having an extra CB and he provides the enforcer role which Dier is not yet in control of. Not that I want to him go - look at our midfield as it stands with Vic gone....Davis, JWP, Clasie....only Romeu inspires much confidence to provide some steel.

He would provide the biting defensive shield for the Belgian CB's - his aerial work is akin to having an extra CB and he provides the enforcer role which Dier is not yet in control of. Not that I want to him go - look at our midfield as it stands with Vic gone....Davis, JWP, Clasie....only Romeu inspires much confidence to provide some steel.
Have you seen Spur's defensive record this year? What more do Dier and Dembele need to be doing that they're not? Why would you get rid of one of those to play a worse passer of the ball?

Which decent level central midfielders have worse passing than Wanyama?

Have you seen Spur's defensive record this year? What more do Dier and Dembele need to be doing that they're not? Why would you get rid of one of those to play a worse passer of the ball?

Which decent level central midfielders have worse passing than Wanyama?

Mash; I'm not saying Vic is in the elite category of Prem central midfielders; I'm saying his passing and distribution isn't that bad, but the real strengths of his game are breaking up play; strength on the ball; aerial skill and an imposing presence - all of which would be a massive loss for us and a massive gain for Spurs, despite Dier and Dembele.

Mash; I'm not saying Vic is in the elite category of Prem central midfielders; I'm saying his passing and distribution isn't that bad, but the real strengths of his game are breaking up play; strength on the ball; aerial skill and an imposing presence - all of which would be a massive loss for us and a massive gain for Spurs, despite Dier and Dembele.

I meant to say I'm not claiming Vic is in the elite category of passers - I do think he's in the elite category of central midfielders overall.

You said "Vic's passing and distribution is pretty good" - who do you consider worse than him?

Spurs don't really need him, they're doing more than well enough defensively, so not point in weakening their passing ability to bring him in.

Everyone knows his strength, he can be excellent at winning and protecting the ball when he wants to be focused.

You said "Vic's passing and distribution is pretty good" - who do you consider worse than him?

Spurs don't really need him, they're doing more than well enough defensively, so not point in weakening their passing ability to bring him in.

Everyone knows his strength, he can be excellent at winning and protecting the ball when he wants to be focused.

Who do you consider better? Ward-Prowse? Davo? Clasie?

Better what? Passer of the ball? All round Central Midfielders?

Look, I think the proof in the pudding will be several Clubs queueing up for Vic's services (including his passing) come the summer. I doubt there will be much interest in any of our other midfielders.

Look, I think the proof in the pudding will be several Clubs queueing up for Vic's services (including his passing) come the summer. I doubt there will be much interest in any of our other midfielders.
I'm sure there'll be a few clubs interested, he's very good at what he does. Doesn't make your earlier points any less wrong.

I'm sure Spurs would love to sign him. Dier has been great, Dembele has had a good season but form changes, people get injured and suspended and for his limitations Wanyama when focused is still one of the best DMs around. Wanyama and Dier in front of Verthonghen and Toby would be ridiculously solid. His contract is running down so he'd be reasonably priced, they have an extra 6 big CL games minimum to deal with. Some fans just seem to like running down our own players.

He'll leave and I think he'll do well. I haven't liked his attitude this season and it's effected his form a lot, but he's been top quality for us overall since joining and we'll more than get our money back.

Not convinced we need a direct replacement though, not like for like. I'd happily see us sign a box to box midfielder who can grab a goal or too instead. Sissoko maybe? Off form for Newcastle a lot but moved out of position too. I'd like Romeu to get more games too.

So Spurs need two defensive midfielders to sit in front of their back 4, but we don't?

He's a defensive midfielder who's not got the sort of range of passing that Morgan had or some of our other mids have but this is more than compensated by his physical strength. Assume he's off to Spurs and we'll likely probably get a little more than what we paid for him because of the shortness of his contract.

Don't think that's a bad deal considering he's been a good player for us in the meantime. I'd like him to re-sign but i'm not broken up by the prospect. We'll move on and sign another young defensive mid. I'll be more worried if we lose Mane because he's the sort of player that can turn a game on its head by his skill.

It really isn't. He gets decent percentage stats for multiple 5 yard passes but anything more tricky often goes awry.

The only quality they'll have is another warm body for defensive midfield with more strength than any of their current players - I can't see him being particularly likely to be selected when an ability to link the defence to the attacking players with a good out ball is a key part of the ability to counterattack in numbers quickly, just as much as the ability he clearly does have - to press - which almost all of Spurs' players need.

Put simply:

We are a better player with him in the side.

His actions would indicate he wants to leave / earn more

He is not a top tier player (City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man U)

Spurs have moved on

Based on that the logical club for him is Liverpool

I've already resigned myself to the inevitability of Vic leaving. Seems too much like the Clyne situation last season. We'll then pay our annual visit to Celtic and bring in Nir Bitton.

Of course Arsenal or Spurs might have sussed out that shopping at Celtic can be quite profitable....

It really isn't. He gets decent percentage stats for multiple 5 yard passes but anything more tricky often goes awry.

The only quality they'll have is another warm body for defensive midfield with more strength than any of their current players - I can't see him being particularly likely to be selected when an ability to link the defence to the attacking players with a good out ball is a key part of the ability to counterattack in numbers quickly, just as much as the ability he clearly does have - to press - which almost all of Spurs' players need.

They've got the the luxury of a CB who can play long accurate diagonals as MS did for Saints. All VW would have to do is win the ball and pass it 5 yards to Aldereiweld or another of the better passers. I can see him going there.

We all agree (well nearly all) that on his day, Victor can be top grade / MoM material, but he also shares the quality that has blighted the team this season...inconsistancy.

Seems to me there is no middle ground, either he is outstanding or just plain useless. His disciplinary record this season has been appauling and caused unnecessary selection problems for RK and has certainly been unsettling to the rest of the team.

Would I be sorry to see him go ?.....perhaps, but I'd prefer someone who could pass the ball properly and DAJFU, without punishing the team with multiple suspensions.

One year left on his contract.....so cut our losses and get the best deal possible. I can't believe we can't find a suitable replacement in " The Black Box".

Why all this talk about Spurs?.....I really only ever thought he'd be bound for Arsenal.....or at worst, join the other defectors at Anfield.

If you count Mane as a striker, and I do, then the only one of our midfielders any other team in the top half of Premier League would want in their first XI is Wanyama. One or two of the others might be of interest to one of the newly promoted sides, but that's about it.

Why all this talk about Spurs?.....I really only ever thought he'd be bound for Arsenal.....or at worst, join the other defectors at Anfield.

Watching Arsenal stroll to victory against West Brom last night,I can't see that Wanyama's passing skills are good enough for them to want him. They should have gone for Morgan, he'd have had more game time there than he gets at Man U.

Put simply:

Spurs have moved on

We are a better side with him trying. We're not when he isn't.

Put simply:

Spurs have moved on

Agree, I'm thinking either Liverpool or West Ham

I don't think he can be criticised too much for his disciplinary record. Koeman has stated in interviews that sometimes a yellow card is necessary from midfield to prevent a counter attack.

We could do without him suspended, but I wouldn't change him and hope he stays.

His poor discipline and lack of goals make it a little easier to stomach his departure and in Oriol we still have a very good player.

Romeu and Clasie is a midtable CM combination at best IMO.

Wanyama isnt picked to score goals and his discipline before this season hasnt really been an issue.

Have to agree there, sadly.

Probably the least mobile of any pairing in the PL.

Fine when shielded by 3 CBs and two full backs who aren't venturing forward a lot but not over a season if you want to play an attacking style.

We didnt replace Schnedierlin's mobility so hopefully can do that this summer.

Jury still out on Clasie for me and Romeu is a good squad player but nowhere Wanyama's level as a defensive midfielder in the PL.

Fine when shielded by 3 CBs and two full backs who aren't venturing forward a lot but not over a season if you want to play an attacking style.

Jury still out on Clasie for me and Romeu is a good squad player but nowhere Wanyama's level as a defensive midfielder in the PL.

A major factor in Leicester's success this season has been down to the extra mobility Kante has brought to their midfield. Drinkwatwr has improved, certainly, but Kante's unbelievable energy is like them having an extra man at times. Plus he can really play too.

Except Romeu is far more attacking than Victor. He gets into good positions, gets into the box and has a goal threat so arguably is actually more mobile than Victor and a better option for playing attacking football.