The Running Thread

Saint Keith

Had a great day out on Sunday. I'd trained really hard and was hoping for anything inside of 1:50. Being the first time I'd done one of these I was pretty nervous at the start. I'd been conservative about my race pace so was in the 4th start group out of 6, probably should have been a group ahead but it worked out ok as there were not loads of people zooming along or pulling me too fast.

Running around was great, shook hands with a Saints fan in a yellow shirt and had lots of Saints related cheers wearing this years home kit. Quite a few high fives to kids was fun as well. I went out steady, and lots left for the final burst (thanks for the adviceabout the dual carriageway). My strongest 5k was between 10 and 15. I didn't drink too much energy drink as I hadn't trained with it and threw most of the water over my head.

A great experience, I have the bug. A cheeky 10k next month to warm down and then I think its a full marathon.

Had a great day out on Sunday. I'd trained really hard and was hoping for anything inside of 1:50. Being the first time I'd done one of these I was pretty nervous at the start. I'd been conservative about my race pace so was in the 4th start group out of 6, probably should have been a group ahead but it worked out ok as there were not loads of people zooming along or pulling me too fast.

Running around was great, shook hands with a Saints fan in a yellow shirt and had lots of Saints related cheers wearing this years home kit. Quite a few high fives to kids was fun as well. I went out steady, and lots left for the final burst (thanks for the adviceabout the dual carriageway). My strongest 5k was between 10 and 15. I didn't drink too much energy drink as I hadn't trained with it and threw most of the water over my head.

A great experience, I have the bug. A cheeky 10k next month to warm down and then I think its a full marathon.

Wow that's a great time for a first HM. My first was 2:06 but I have whittled it down to 1:41 over 8 years. On the cusp of a sub-1:40 now but my training this year hasn't been great due to the crappy winter we've had.

Races for 2016: 10 miler this month, 10km and the Ottawa Marathon in May. Perth Kilt run Marathon in June. Later in the year: 3 HM and a 50km trail race (my first ultra) with a smattering of 5km races.

Any advice on doing a half marathon? Considering doing Reading half in April. Running 10k twice a week right now, much of a step up?

Now you've (easily) done a half - what would say to someone who asked a similar question?

Finished my 10 miler in 1:20:21 today with a negative split. Couldn't ask for more after the inconsistent training this year. Very happy with that. Now to push on and get a lot more mileage under my belt in the next six weeks before the Ottawa marathon. Snow is almost all gone so should be able to get out more.

Brighton marathon tomorrow. Anyone else doing it?

I'm preparing myself for utter agony after 15 miles having missed so much training! Just want this one over with now.

Enjoy. Did it last year. First 2/3rd are lovely. Last is the most ****e run you will ever have. [emoji23]

Seriously though, good luck.

Trail run tomorrow. 10k round the Olympic Mountain Bike track in Hadleigh, Essex. Not done a decent off-road before so should be an eye opener in this rain.

51min. Hell of a course, mud up to ya calf. 9th overall out of 270 on my firs off-road run. [emoji106]

Finished my 10 miler in 1:20:21 today with a negative split. Couldn't ask for more after the inconsistent training this year. Very happy with that. Now to push on and get a lot more mileage under my belt in the next six weeks before the Ottawa marathon. Snow is almost all gone so should be able to get out more.

Very nice, very nice.

Really missing the marathon training this year, thinking about Bompey in Oct, hell of a long way fro Essex but the only decent looking out out of season.

Anyone else doing that one?

You weren't wrong! Do they do it deliberately?! That harbour bit, almost industrial park is so bleak! I was struggling enough by then anyway! More hilly course than I thought too, heading east after 7/8 miles was difficult but got round okay in the end. Toughest one I've done though, missed so much training, only reached a 14 mile run in training and my feet hurt after 5k!

Now to rest for London next weekend!

Yeah it's weird isn't it? Lovely start, nice slight climb and some lovely villages. Back into the town centre, nice bit of Hove and then BOOM right into an estate with no fans, stinks of fish and tedium. Totally broke me last year, I was on for a PB of about 20 mins quicker than Paris, but ended up with the exact same time. Bloody Brighton.

I can barely walk or move this morning! Anyone got any quick recovery tips? Might go for a swim tomorrow.

Anyone else doing London? Debating whether to wear my charity top or saints shirt!

Sounds counterproductive but go for a very short and slow run. It'll seem like murder at first but your quads will ease quite quickly. Walk if you need to, just keep moving!

Sounds counterproductive but go for a very short and slow run. It'll seem like murder at first but your quads will ease quite quickly. Walk if you need to, just keep moving!

Yep. And a swim too. Or a bike ride (not a cycle, if you follow). And get some extra protein in you, always works for my sore muscles.

And a foam roller.

And a ****ing hot bath.

1 hr 59. 17 for the Southampton half today. Well chuffed.

All the things I thought were sh*t last year had been put right. Smooth as f*ck. The support from Tom, **** and Harry around the course was amazing (as it was last year). 13.1 miles of people of all ages offering suport and sustenance for no reason other than than they thought it was a good thing to do.

I would much rather sit on my fat arse and do f*ck all but this race makes me want to run. It makes me proud of my city and gives me faith in the people I share my home town with. It makes me feel part of a community. It makes me proud to be a Sotonian.

1 hr 59. 17 for the Southampton half today. Well chuffed.

All the things I thought were sh*t last year had been put right. Smooth as f*ck. The support from Tom, **** and Harry around the course was amazing (as it was last year). 13.1 miles of people of all ages offering suport and sustenance for no reason other than than they thought it was a good thing to do.

I would much rather sit on my fat arse and do f*ck all but this race makes me want to run. It makes me proud of my city and gives me faith in the people I share my home town with. It makes me feel part of a community. It makes me proud to be a Sotonian.

Thought it was fantastic again. It was good last year but running through St Mary's was a welcome amendment. I've done a few half's now, Southampton is the best I've done by a long way. My time was 2.03...

Cheers. Go for it, without the injury I don't think the two would have been so bad, although it's always going to be tough to improve in the second one. With four you'd probably get used to it! It doesn't really change the months of training beforehand much.

Haven't done the distance since Brighton last year. Got the marathon bug again now but missed out this season. Debating Bournemouth or Chelmsford for Oct. Manchester next year and London 2018 unless I get in in 2017.

Good bit of news, the organisers for the Southampton half have been canvassing on Facebook the possibility of a Southampton full Marathon. First question was would you be happy running the route twice. Most popular answer was a definate NO :) Must say I dont fancy Burgess Road twice. Anyway one to watch out for.

Has anyone here ever run the Bournemoth marathon or half? Just wondered what it was like

I did Reading today in 1:43:25. Got a long plane journey tomorrow so will write up the detail of what a great experience my first half marathon was!

Top work SC. That is some going on your first half!

Did my first run today after the Southampton half. Doesn't get any easier.

Signed up for a 10K in early July and will probably do the Great South Run in October.

Just want to keep at it this year as I did bugger all after the Southampton Half last year!

14th place overall (out of 125 men and 2nd out of 29 in M40-49) in the Défi Entreprise 10km in Gatineau Park (just North of Ottawa). Managed 48:05 on a very hilly course.

Things shaping up nicely for the marathon in 4 weeks time.

Shinfield 10k tomorrow. My knee is still very painful but only when I stop, so going to see what I can do with adrenalin and ibuprofen. Haven't prepped as well as I did for the Half Marathon a month ago and would be happy with a sub 48 minute time.

Got my 13.5 mile cross country in Leicestershire tomorrow. Haven't managed to break two hours in three previous attempts and not hopeful for tomorrow! My best so far was 2:1:50.

Only managed 2:10. I ran with my mate who's a bit slower plus the ground was wet and muddy in a lot of places and so very heavy on the legs. The extra half a mile more than a half marathon also always seems to catch me out - as if my body stops at the half marathon point! Still a brilliant event. Just now very sore!

I did a half marathon recently that was two laps and it makes it so much tougher. A full marathon like that would be hell and I wouldn't sign up. There's no need for it, Southampton is big enough and plenty of areas to go. Christ Milton Keynes manage to put on a half decent marathon.

Also, if Southampton could make sure it's not London marathon day that would help!

I'd love a Southampton marathon, missed out on the half this year as I was lazy registering and then missed the slot!

To give you an idea, I've just run from Redbridge to Ocean Village, St Mary's, Bitterness Triangle, Woodmill, Burgess Road, The Avenue, Winchester Road, back of the sports centre, Ski slope, Lordshill, got lost on the trails behind Lordshill, Lordshill again, Nursling BandQ, Redbridge which was about 17.5 miles. So there'd have to be a lot of doubling back to keep it in the city centre. Sure they could do it though. Be good to go through the docks with one of the big ships in. St Mary's is a given, Woolston Bridge, Ocean Village were good in the half. Not sure what else you could include??

I'm off to Copenhagen at the end of the month for the marathon, I will report back all the good bits.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

Fair enough! I was just wondering where you might get the extra 13 miles in the city. I enjoyed the start and end of the half in the city centre and think it would be a shame to lose that. Up and down the Avenue would add a few miles, like I mentioned before the docks might be an option but I suspect that security would be an issue. Woolston/Western shore maybe. Don't know why I'm even trying to work it out to be honest.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I did the Copenhagen marathon at the weekend, my first. Fantastic city, great event. Highly recommended if you are looking for something a bit further afield.

Run didn't go according to plan, knee went at 10 miles so hobbled my way round in 5 hours. All my own fault, didn't train enough/correctly.

Almost all of the course is in the city centre, it did include a couple of loops which felt a bit wierd but I guess it concentrated the crowd (who were fabulous) into a smaller area.

Now to book up the next one ;-)

Well done mate. As you say, bring on the next one.

Just another half at the weekend for me. 1:38 training run for the 3rd weekend in a row. Recovery time is now down to a day at most for a half which is excellent.

London 10000 this weekend (well, bank holiday Monday) looking forward to that even though I'm starting at the back due to some admin cock up on my part.

Well done mate. As you say, bring on the next one.

Just another half at the weekend for me. 1:38 training run for the 3rd weekend in a row. Recovery time is now down to a day at most for a half which is excellent.

London 10000 this weekend (well, bank holiday Monday) looking forward to that even though I'm starting at the back due to some admin cock up on my part.

That's good times for training runs! I'm planning on dropping down to halfs at the weekend and throwing in some HIIT during the week. Need to get the strength up in my legs.

Running the Ottawa marathon on Sunday. Unfortunately spring has become summer team quick. Forecasts calling for 31c air temp (feels like 41c with humidity according to humidex). Race organisers still deciding whether to start the race early (starts at 7am - expected to be 19c) or cancel altogether. I think it will be a go but it's going to be stupid hot during those last 15kms.

Running the Ottawa marathon on Sunday. Unfortunately spring has become summer team quick. Forecasts calling for 31c air temp (feels like 41c with humidity according to humidex). Race organisers still deciding whether to start the race early (starts at 7am - expected to be 19c) or cancel altogether. I think it will be a go but it's going to be stupid hot during those last 15kms.

How did you get on OS?

Blitzed the London 10000 on Monday. Came in with a PB of 42.33 despite starting in the last pen and having to overtake literally thousands of people.

You must be close to going sub-40 if you can do 42:33 while zig-zagging through slower runners!

Speedy!

You must be close to going sub-40 if you can do 42:33 while zig-zagging through slower runners!

Speedy!

Yeah, that's the plan... PB has come down by nearly 2 mins since Oct last year so I seem to be peaking for the 10km distance. Got 3x 10km events lined up over the next 2 months but none are PB territory (first is on gravel off-road, second is a massively hilly route which ends on a farm track and third is unknown to me but from what I've been told it's twisty). Next decent course I've got in mind is Southend Classic which is 100% flat BUT the same day as the Bournemouth Mara I'm debating doing.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone got anything booked for this weekend?

Southend Half for me on Sunday. Pretty flat course it seems (in/out loop based) so could be good PB territory if I can get round the first half in a decent time. Current PB is 1:34 so will have to go some to do that.

Anyone got any advice for me. I can run barely 1000 metres before my right calf starts to stiffen up.

Could it be something to do with uneven pavements. I stretch before I start, so I know it's not that.

Have you tried not stretching before you start, but spend 5 mins warming up with star jumps, squats, spot running, windmills? I've never stretched before a run as my legs can't take it, they ache like hell after a few minutes if I do. I stretch out afterwards, after a 10 min warm down.

Also, obviously have you checked over your shoes? Do you have over pronation and are running in neutral shoes? Heel warn down and making you stress the muscle in a certain way?

Have you tried not stretching before you start, but spend 5 mins warming up with star jumps, squats, spot running, windmills? I've never stretched before a run as my legs can't take it, they ache like hell after a few minutes if I do. I stretch out afterwards, after a 10 min warm down.

Also, obviously have you checked over your shoes? Do you have over pronation and are running in neutral shoes? Heel warn down and making you stress the muscle in a certain way?

Bloody hell, if I did that 5 minute warm-up, I'd be too knackered to run.

Thanks for the advice though. If I'm serious about running, I should get some shoes fitted. Rather than wear the £15 specials from Sports Slave Direct!

Bloody hell, if I did that 5 minute warm-up, I'd be too knackered to run.

Thanks for the advice though. If I'm serious about running, I should get some shoes fitted. Rather than wear the £15 specials from Sports Slave Direct!

Ah yes, that might well be it!

Anyone got anything booked for this weekend?

Southend Half for me on Sunday. Pretty flat course it seems (in/out loop based) so could be good PB territory if I can get round the first half in a decent time. Current PB is 1:34 so will have to go some to do that.

Didn't make the Southend Half due to a waste of space train service which left me stranded for over and hour and then cancelled every train. So I ended up running home and booking a last minute place on a local 10km. Off road, 43 mins and a top 8 place. That'll do.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from the Swansea half. Went down yesterday to watch the Wales game on home soil! Managed to get round in 1:57:27 which was a PB for my mate so we were very happy with that. It's a great event and a very flat scenic route. I'll definitely be back next year.

• 5 weeks later...
Who'll be doing the 2017 Southampton Marathon then?

Glad they're finally doing it but fcked off it's the same day as the London marathon. Not sure which I'll do now.

Anyone in any events soon? After the London marathon my injury has taken ages to mend. Still not managed even 10k since then but eager to get back out there.

What's the Southampton Marathon route going to be then? Is it as before? Oh the joys of Burgess Road after 20 odd miles.

So mid/end of April'ish, they might persaude me to take up the halter again actually.

Glad they're finally doing it but fcked off it's the same day as the London marathon. Not sure which I'll do now.

Anyone in any events soon? After the London marathon my injury has taken ages to mend. Still not managed even 10k since then but eager to get back out there.

I'm in, for sure! Shame if you already have a place for London, but doing a home Marathon has to be special doesn't it???

I've got nothing booked in at the moment, but want something longish for October/November time just haven't found the right event yet :-(

• 3 weeks later...

I'm doing it.. I'm going to regret it. First one since The birth of my daughter. I've done Brighton, Bournemouth and............ Luton before (seriously). Not going to do any running before Christmas now, I want to be chomping at the bit for the training.

• 1 month later...

sounds like you boys are chugging along nicely. I've been sidelined by a torn hamstring (football injury) and then piriformis syndrome all summer. Have been ramping it up gently and indoor football starts next week. Hoping to get back to racing soon (although I was able to transfer from HM to 5km in a recent race and clocked a decent 24:46).

Going to shelve marathons for now and stick to shorter distances and playing football.