Sam McQueen to Southend on loan?

SuperSAINT

Nah, the Shrimpers, my local team (kind of). Might have been Instagram actually as I can't find it now.

I quite like that kind of access, but it can be a little wearing. Every time I suggest something Newport County might want to do to my aunt when I'm at a match, she says something akin to "tell the Chairman, he's standing next to me". :D Not really my thing, unless of course they want to pay me for it.

The last one was their ridiculous food selling kiosk. Place order, pay till person money, walk to another queue, stand around waiting, get asked what you ordered, tell the server absolutely anything you want and they'll give it to you under the assumption you already paid for exactly that. I can't imagine how THAT could be costing them a fortune over the course of a season... All they need is a notepad or a raffle ticket to give to people to collect the order, or something. :o

19th - Inter Milan - €164.8m

20th - West Ham - €160.9m

21st - Galatasaray - €159.1m

22nd - Southampton - €149.5m

Pompey nowhere to be seen. ;)

http://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/uk/Documents/sports-business-group/uk-deloitte-sport-football-money-league-2016.pdf

Will look even better once we benefit from the new TV deal next season.

19th - Inter Milan - €164.8m

20th - West Ham - €160.9m

21st - Galatasaray - €159.1m

22nd - Southampton - €149.5m

Pompey nowhere to be seen. ;)

http://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/uk/Documents/sports-business-group/uk-deloitte-sport-football-money-league-2016.pdf

Will look even better once we benefit from the new TV deal next season.

Wrong thread, MLG?

• 3 weeks later...
FWIW I think he's one of the most "first-team ready" players we have had recently in the Dev squad.

Big and strong with quick feet, tactically adept and has looked comfortable whenever I've seen him.

??. not so sure about that bit " The 9" ....I thought he was a fair bit under 6 foot?....(although that may depend on how big....BIG ...is to you?).

but I do like Seager's style and agree with your other comment.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Was hoping he might be competing for a place on the bench this season and the occasional playing time under Puel but maybe a full season on loan will help set him up for next year. Some major stars are already fixtures in the their club first team by the age of 20 but plenty of others, Jamie Vardy for instance, take longer to reach premier league standard. Its just that with the coaching facilities and sports science at Staplewood you might hope that talented players would be ready sooner. Does McQueen have the making of a premier league player or is he one who will be sold off to a football league club? Probably too soon to say, or the club would be selling him now instead of offering the loan.

At Southend you mean?

:lol:

Jokes aside though, this is the last year he'll count as an Under 21 player, meanining if he does go out on loan, he's going to have to come back a player worthy of one of the 25 registration spots we have. Big ask considering he hasn't played a minute of league football for us.

Side note, and probably of little value, they had him playing LB in that friendly against DC United U23s :S

Edited by Donatello

:lol:

Jokes aside though, this is the last year he'll count as an Under 21 player, meanining if he does go out on loan, he's going to have to come back a player worthy of one of the 25 registration spots we have. Big ask considering he hasn't played a minute of league football for us.

Side note, and probably of little value, they had him playing LB in that friendly against DC United U23s :S

I think the U21 format has changed this year to U23.

I've always thought he (and Hesketh) had something about them that meant they could well make it at Saints. McQueen seems much stronger than Hesketh though, so perhaps more likely to get there? Would be good to see him stick around and see if we can put him in for a few early cup games or some time off the bench and see what he can really do.

I've always thought he (and Hesketh) had something about them that meant they could well make it at Saints. McQueen seems much stronger than Hesketh though, so perhaps more likely to get there? Would be good to see him stick around and see if we can put him in for a few early cup games or some time off the bench and see what he can really do.

And in 2 years time they'll be getting their annual run out in pre-season à l'Isgrove before being farmed out to some lowly outfit or other. We're paying 10-15 million £ for players of their age and there must be a reason for that. They're best off moving on and making some sort of a career for themselves elsewhere. Signing lads like our new Dane for real money should be an indicator as to the status of all these perennial "ones for the future".

In the Premier League? :S i.e. you can play an unlimited number of U23s in the Premier League? Or are you talking about the developmental squad league? If it's the latter, then yeah, sure, he can continue to knock about there for a few seasons, and even if that isn't the case, he can spend seasons out on loan, but I was referring to his ability to contribute to the first team without taking up a registration spot :thumbup:

And in 2 years time they'll be getting their annual run out in pre-season à l'Isgrove before being farmed out to some lowly outfit or other. We're paying 10-15 million £ for players of their age and there must be a reason for that. They're best off moving on and making some sort of a career for themselves elsewhere. Signing lads like our new Dane for real money should be an indicator as to the status of all these perennial "ones for the future".

I can see Hesketh making a mark. Well, he's most likely to, for me. The rest, particularly Isgrove and Gape....:uhoh:

Derry, do you know this is true, or are you basing this on MLG's reply on Monday on the Dom Gape thread? MLG is usually right, but I have searched evrywhere for news that this has changed and found nothing to support it. The change was one of those mooted by Greg Dyke back in 2014 (together with B teams), but other than that there is no reference to it. All the PL clubs including Saints seem to be preparing for an u21 league (although no fixtures yet around), as well the EFL Trophy is u21. Surely if this change to u23 was happening the clubs would be playing u23 friendlies as a build up. Genuinely interested to know, u23 is probably the right way to go, but just can't find any evidence of this actually happening yet.

Derry, do you know this is true, or are you basing this on MLG's reply on Monday on the Dom Gape thread? MLG is usually right, but I have searched evrywhere for news that this has changed and found nothing to support it. The change was one of those mooted by Greg Dyke back in 2014 (together with B teams), but other than that there is no reference to it. All the PL clubs including Saints seem to be preparing for an u21 league (although no fixtures yet around), as well the EFL Trophy is u21. Surely if this change to u23 was happening the clubs would be playing u23 friendlies as a build up. Genuinely interested to know, u23 is probably the right way to go, but just can't find any evidence of this actually happening yet.

Agree with this, did some searching as well and if you look for "Premier League 2" there is mention of a revamp of youth levels (u16 becoming u17 and u18 becoming u19) and a mooted idea about Premier League 2 being more reserve squad based. But even that isn't planned until 2017/18 season from the vague info I could find.

Agree with this, did some searching as well and if you look for "Premier League 2" there is mention of a revamp of youth levels (u16 becoming u17 and u18 becoming u19) and a mooted idea about Premier League 2 being more reserve squad based. But even that isn't planned until 2017/18 season from the vague info I could find.

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/20160720-premier-league-2-announcement-3196929.aspx

Published at 6pm, "Southampton Football Club will enter a team into the all-new Premier League 2, which replaces the existing Under-21 Premier League, following a revamp of the competition.

Premier League 2 is formed of teams who can field teams of players predominantly up to the age of 23, though three ‘over-age’ outfield players and a goalkeeper over the age limit can be named in each game."

Sam McQueen did his bit throughout his Academy days....and continued well in the U21's.

Now he's soon past that age group, he needs to be out playing regularly with some " grown-up footballers "......(albeit at a lower level)

..Southend may not be the height of success in some people's eyes, but if Sam's going to be any good to Saints ....he ought to be able to shine in that division.

I was reminded a while back, that Harry Kane played over 50 games in loan-outs .....to four different clubs ....before Pochettino put him into Spurs first team.

Edited by david in sweden