• Wanyama
    • Clasie
    • Tadić
    • Mané
    • Long
    • Romeu
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Austin

Nice to see a bit of class. I'm planning on a glass or two of decent Pinot Noir later.

Once I'm reasonably off my head on cheap beer. ;-) :-D

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Posh gits I'm on the Apple Pie Moonshine!

Bertrand played there earlier in the season and looked well out of place. Something tells me we've been working on it all season in training.

Targett looks more confident, Cedric has got fitter and imposes himself more, Wanyama isn't throwing a wobbly (all the time), Clasie alongside him instead of Davis (who is still unreliable in DM, however fantastic he's been recently further forward).

I actually thought that by the time Bertrand was back from injury, we were done with the 3 at the back - but I'll take your word for that he has been tried as wingback. And you've certainly added to the list of little things that are suddenly clicking to make a horrible, negative formation turn into a strong foundation for our game. We are not playing the prettiest football in this formation, but we're not too defensive either...

We've probably played better in games and lost them this year (WHU first half for e.g) but we still did enough to win today in my opinion. Our tactical shape is excellent at the moment, we always look as if we have more players than the opposition when defending and we seem to be able to get back into shape very quickly. Teams haven't quite worked out how to counter our new system as yet (in terms of breaking it down).

Great start for Charlie - people will say it was a free header, which in effect it was, but just watch his movement and the way he just moves...and then knows when to hold - right on the spot. He just knows where to be, that's been the case all of his career. With the amount of chances Mane and Long miss, give them to Austin and we'd be a lot better off!

I think our 10 day break has come at a good time - nursing a few knocks and it'll be good to get everyone back fresh for a tricky game at the Emirates. First double of the season in the offing?

https://grabyo.com/g/v/EROLIc27xKL

This is a good watch!

Very good watch. What's nice is to see the team unity, including making Austin feel welcome. Look at Long's natural reaction to seeing Austin at 1:40.

Equally important is how Austin in the interview mentions the team at least 6 times and tries to make it about himself as little as possible.

I know it's easier when you the win, but I think it is so important when everyone truly puts egos aside and makes it all about the team and team success.

Really enjoyed today. My youngest 2 lads loved it even more as they can give it back to the rag fans at school!

Clasie, Long, Van Dyk & Bertrand outstanding. All the others apart from Man & Tadic were excellent too.

Long's effort today was quite unbelievable.

Great to see Morgan get angry as Clasie & Wanyama ran the game.

I've given Wanyama loads of stick this season, but he was excellent today.

What can I say about Charlie Austin? Dream start, looks strong, determined & great header.

3 clean sheets for Forster. He's not had much to do, but his kicking & presence just makes us better IMHO.

Excellent day!!

Great result, we were pretty comfortable throughout, and whilst there weren't many chances we were by far the better team and fully deserved it

Have to mention the return of Forster. Whilst he has not been overly tested, his return seems to have provided the team with a massive confidence boost.

We were never in any relegation trouble, but we can start to look up now and build a bit of momentum for a good finish to the season. Can see no reason we can't finish where we are now.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Already there is a tendency among the pundits to put this result down to Man U being a poor team, playing badly. That suits their agenda of Van Gaal being a failure but that disregards that Man U came into this fixture off the back of an away win at Liverpool, last week, and according to the league table there are only 4 teams in the Prem with a better record at this stage of the season. Football is not just about attack, it's also about defending and midfield control. Saints were set up to prevent Man U playing to the best of their ability and succeeded in doing that, before going on to take advantage of the frustration that caused as the game went on. This result is all to credit of RK and the Saints' players and shouldn't be attributed in any way to a failure by LVG. Its just that on the day, his team were the second best.

A magnificent result after a really awful game for most of the first half. Not from Saints but a boring LVG Man U. We just kept up the pace and never relinquished an inch. Tadic was a poor choice for the team to start with and a huge difference when he was finally replaced. Clasie is really coming into his own and getting to grips with the Premier League and made Scheiderlin look very poor today.

Forster being back has installed a high level of confidence in defense and switching Fonte and VVD and bring Bertrand into the back three is working a treat.

Poor Long looked to have been knackered for the last half hour and shan't be surprised if he'll need time to recover. He ran out of steam and his pace fell away.

Apart from Tadic every one played amazingly well. Much credit has to be given to Prowsey for the magnificent cross onto Austin head. Great to see Austin get off to such a great start. Doubt if he'll get a better cross than JWP's cross from the corner.

Hoping Steven Davis and Clasie both make a quick recovery as we'll be needing them for the Arsenal game. If we manage to beat them on their own ground it'll realy convince everyone who still have one or two doubts.

A magnificent result after a really awful game for most of the first half. Not from Saints but a boring LVG Man U. We just kept up the pace and never relinquished an inch. Tadic was a poor choice for the team to start with and a huge difference when he was finally replaced. Clasie is really coming into his own and getting to grips with the Premier League and made Scheiderlin look very poor today.

Forster being back has installed a high level of confidence in defense and switching Fonte and VVD and bring Bertrand into the back three is working a treat.

Poor Long looked to have been knackered for the last half hour and shan't be surprised if he'll need time to recover. He ran out of steam and his pace fell away.

Apart from Tadic every one played amazingly well. Much credit has to be given to Prowsey for the magnificent cross onto Austin head. Great to see Austin get off to such a great start. Doubt if he'll get a better cross than JWP's cross from the corner.

Hoping Steven Davis and Clasie both make a quick recovery as we'll be needing them for the Arsenal game. If we manage to beat them on their own ground it'll realy convince everyone who still have one or two doubts.

Do you still think that "F*cking Koeman just has to go"?

Fantastic result today. We played perfect tactics and I thought we were good value for the win.

Forster solid; he really is an asset and a boost to the whole team.

Defence unmovable, Fonte & Bertrand's tackling, VvD's general 'attack from defence' mode. ManU had very few attacks of note.

Clasie superb, Big Vic had his best game for a long time. ManU were clueless in the middle (how is that possible with Morgan & Mata?!), mainly due to our good play.

Attacking players in midfield & up front made ManU very uncomfortable all game, even if Mane couldn't get the ball to run for him.

And all without Pelle. Looking forward to having him back on the pitch.

Good show, lads! Proud of them (& Ron) today.

Apart from Tadic every one played amazingly well.

I would really love to know why exactly it is you think Tadic alone deserves to be slated after that. He played as well as anybody else today, and in fact he was the one that created the glorious chance in the first half which Mane miscontrolled and fluffed. If any one player should be singled out for criticism from that performance it was Mane. He looked like he was trying too hard and just nothing came off for him, although I can't really have a go because at least he was trying things which, had they worked, we would be hailing as spectacular.

I thought Tadic was pretty good in the first half...

He was, people slating him are just weird.

He's also one of the most motivated, hard working players at the club. Trains non stop, always on at the others to keep improving and hates losing. Some scoff at the idea the players can have important roles to play in the dressing room and behind the scenes but it's true. People like Kelvin, Tadic and Ward Prowse are massively important to have at the club.

Just having a read through the post-match thread on redcafe. If you think this forum is full of bedwetting drama queens, go and have a read of United's...

http://www.redcafe.net/threads/post-match-manchester-united-vs-southampton.413832/

These are a couple of the best quotes I have found so far...

Koeman takes LVG to school yet again.

Schneiderlin looks half the player he did at Southampton.

And my absolute favourite...

We are carrying far too many one dimensional players.

Fellaini plays because he's tall. Lingard because he's fast. Blind because well I'm not sure why. Darmian because well, there's no-one else.

Rory Delap made a PL career by being able to take a throw in. It's like our team is full of Rory Delaps.

I love the fact that RK has got one over on LVG, again.

But seriously, what is LVG all about? I do enjoy seeing Man Utd struggle, but how has he mismanaged that squad so badly and failed to address so many glaring issues? Why does he constantly convert wingers into wing backs, and play wing backs at CB's?

Apparently the odds on Mourinho have been slashed, they really do need something with a bit of charisma to get them moving again.

You can see why Austin is a natural goalscorer, he has that instinctive knack of knowing where to be at the right time.

Drifted away from the Utd defenders and just waited for that ball which was dispatched accordingly. Made it look simple but no Utd defender managed to track him.

I think the guy could be a bit of a legend here if he sticks around long enough.

Looked like a toss game but 3 points are all that matters. What a turnaround in form over the last 2 weeks, long may it continue.

We've probably played better in games and lost them this year (WHU first half for e.g) but we still did enough to win today in my opinion. Our tactical shape is excellent at the moment, we always look as if we have more players than the opposition when defending and we seem to be able to get back into shape very quickly. Teams haven't quite worked out how to counter our new system as yet (in terms of breaking it down).

Great start for Charlie - people will say it was a free header, which in effect it was, but just watch his movement and the way he just moves...and then knows when to hold - right on the spot. He just knows where to be, that's been the case all of his career. With the amount of chances Mane and Long miss, give them to Austin and we'd be a lot better off!

I think our 10 day break has come at a good time - nursing a few knocks and it'll be good to get everyone back fresh for a tricky game at the Emirates. First double of the season in the offing?

Interesting watching MOTD Newcastle played the same system, we've been using in the last few games, against Watford today and got spanked.

Behave Tadic's role is not to run around like a headless Chicken but to create chances which his does.

Well MOTD was a waste of ****ing time. Just a hand-wringing commentary about the state of ManU, barely even registered that we won.

This.

Typical motd ****e. Saints merely a footnote. It's all about the glory clubs, look at Leicester they're top of the table and still getting

patronised. F*** the beeb.

Didn't watch MOTD, but I have no problem with them focussing on United.

They really were terrible, and with a better performance we wouldn't have needed a last minute set piece goal. This wasn't like last season, where we had to scrap for every touch of the ball. We had to stay solid when they did come at us (and we were very good) but it didn't take a masterclass.

We'd all rather watch a big club playing badly than a midtable club playing pretty well and getting a result.

Well I got to hand it to the board, Austin for 4 million? Loving it already. Also 8th in the table, wouldn't have thought it could get this good again around Christmas.

I would pay 4 million a year to beat Manchester United away. (By I, I mean on behalf of Southampton FC. I myself don't have that kind of money.)

I would pay 4 million a year to beat Manchester United away. (By I, I mean on behalf of Southampton FC. I myself don't have that kind of money.)

That win could be worth £4m on its own. Every place in the table we go up is a couple million more right... :)