Greek Islands - which one is best?

the saint in winchester

Need consumer advice ....

Family fancy a change from the Canaries or Spain this year .. they want to go to the Greek Islands.

I've been to Cyprus but blissfully ignorant on the others.

So it's me and the missus plus 16 yo daughter. Our preferences are

* good restaurants within walking distance

* sandy beach

* village/fishing town

* family friendly, not lager lout rioting til 3am

* nice architecture, things to see

Probably going July/August after GCSE exams.

Can you give me your recommendations based on experience preferably.

thanks

I've been to a lot of the Cyclades islands. But it's been a long time.

Santorini is spectacular, scenically, but is now over-developed.

Same thing for Mykonos. Beautiful island, but terribly over-developed now.

A less-developed option is Siphnos. Paros and Naxos might be worth considering, too.

Outside of the Cyclades, there is Hydra and Poros in the Saronic Gulf. Not sure if there are any good beaches in Hydra—we just stayed in town. And we really liked Patmos in the Dodacanese islands—it's quiet and less developed, with some lovely beaches.

Crete might be an option—it has all the things you listed, but, again, I would avoid a resort full of tourists.

I've been to Greece three times ('73, '76, and '86) and traveled around it a lot. I love the place, and have been thinking recently of going back.

Try to avoid a package resort. Look for a hotel, or villa, or pension via the internet.

Edited by Hamilton Saint

• 2 weeks later...

Skiathos.

I never understood people who holiday in the same place every year and vowed never to do the same. I sneered when, on our first visit to Skiathos, someone referred to it as 'the boomerang island - because people always come back.' We have been back every year since (and twice last year) for one of our holidays each year.

Small island, direct flights (one of the best landings in the world IMO), 60+ beautiful beaches.

You would do well to steer clear of Ios if its a family holiday. Unless it's changed dramatcially since the mid 80's. Party Island.

Cracking island. Remember going there amongst many others and wondering what fuss was about until went up to the old town and was mental. Decent sorts there as off beaten track to degree so not littered with yobs. Santorini is for couples

Another vote for kefalonia or skiathos. Both excellent. Agree with the comments re santorini, lovely island but just too developed now. Avoid any within dinghy distance of Turkey for obvious reasons.