David Watson

9-3

He didn't do much for Stekelenburg

Not very fair. Considering the playing opportunities that he had before his move.... I think Stek DAJFU...even though he's not Forster standard.

I'm sure he has improved in some areas, and Watson must have helped him in some ways. It's upto DW to continue to help him improve his game.

I think we should keep Stek after the summer, as Kelvin will finally retire and Gazzaniga really needs a season away on loan as he is still very inconsistant.

Stek certainly doesn't worry me in the way KD and Gazzaniga have when they've been forced to play in the last year.

He didn't do much for Stekelenburg

I don't really get this. While you could certainly say Stek MAY have saved a few more shots while in goal for us, I'm not so sure there were too many he SHOULD have saved.

He was left one on one a few times thanks to errors in front of him (Yoshida, VVD are two off the top of my head) and IMO any saves in those situations are largely down to luck and/or poor finishing from attacking players.

I think MS did a decent job for us, and quite content with his back-up at least for the remainder of this season. Certainly more so than Davies. Gazza does need more time at a lower level.

Yeah I don't get all the hate for Stek on all the comments on facebook and other social media, don't think he made many if any mistakes Fraser is just a better keeper and installs confidence in the defence. I'd be delighted for him to sign permanently as our no2 would make a change from fearing the worst when KD or Gazza have to step in.

I certainly do not have any hate for Stekelenberg but he is no where near as good as Forster - look at the goals conceded per game. My recollection is that Fraser had 11 clean sheets last season and he is not doing too badly so far this season. Stek is a very ordinary keeper at this level who does not command his area or his defence.

Watson is certainly well thought of by the entire squad. This is often seen during online matches where players are often seen receiving a tap on the butt from Watson as he sends them onto play or receives players coming off. The observation is not my own but that of various commentators.

I don't really get this. While you could certainly say Stek MAY have saved a few more shots while in goal for us, I'm not so sure there were too many he SHOULD have saved.

He was left one on one a few times thanks to errors in front of him (Yoshida, VVD are two off the top of my head) and IMO any saves in those situations are largely down to luck and/or poor finishing from attacking players.

I think MS did a decent job for us, and quite content with his back-up at least for the remainder of this season. Certainly more so than Davies. Gazza does need more time at a lower level.

I think Stekelenburg's perspective on his role now Forster is fit may have changed since the Dutch failed to qualify for the Euros - if he was 2nd choice on loan and there was a squad place to play for I think he'd have pulled a Caulker and been relocated - possibly also to Liverpool! Now he's got no international incentive he might be happy to sit on the bench when he's fit - but then he's still got his next contract to think about as I believe his Fulham contract runs out in the summer.

I don't think anyone hates Stek, but he just isn't as good as Forster. I don't remember ever seeing Stek make a "good" save - Forster made 2 in his U21 comeback game.

I don't remember our defence not leaving him exposed for the ones he let in. His worst "mistake" was probably for Willian's free kick and that one was completely understandable. He dropped a couple around the Man City game too, but nothing led to a goal. If we'd stopped giving opposing strikers all the time and space they needed to score past him (particularly against Liverpool in the League Cup), he'd have had a lot more chance of making saves.

I don't remember our defence not leaving him exposed for the ones he let in. His worst "mistake" was probably for Willian's free kick and that one was completely understandable. He dropped a couple around the Man City game too, but nothing led to a goal. If we'd stopped giving opposing strikers all the time and space they needed to score past him (particularly against Liverpool in the League Cup), he'd have had a lot more chance of making saves.

The only one I really blame him for was the flap against Palace that went straight to Zaha.

I agree that Forster is a better keeper. Stek is not bad, but not up with the top ones.

• 2 months later...
Yeah, didn't Ron say he does all of our set-piece work?

This is correct and is why he is seen instructing subs with his iPad before they come on and why players sometimes run to him if a set piece goal works out. He would be a big loss to us and the club really should get the cheque book out and pay both him and Ronald a big enough amount for both to stay.

• 2 months later...
Goalkeeping coach for Saints and England.

Never gets a mention.

He and his backroom staff have done a fantastic job to get Frazer back.

He is a big part of Southampton Football Club, please keep him.

Joe Hart? Might Watson have played a part in his selection at the Euros?

Admittedly, it might also be difficult to coach someone as arrogant and puffed up as Hart.

Joe Hart? Might Watson have played a part in his selection at the Euros?

Admittedly, it might also be difficult to coach someone as arrogant and puffed up as Hart.

Saints hold Dave Watson in a very high regard, even to the point where they are fast tracking him to be manager in years to come.

Maybe he will be promoted to coach alongside Eric Black seeing as Sammy Lee has left and Kelvin taking over as goal keeping coach.

Saints hold Dave Watson in a very high regard, even to the point where they are fast tracking him to be manager in years to come.

Maybe he will be promoted to coach alongside Eric Black seeing as Sammy Lee has left and Kelvin taking over as goal keeping coach.

when did Sammy go.........source

Very happy to hear he's extended his contract with us too.

Yeah, just came on here to see if anyone else has spotted that! His would have expired next year, so good that he's on board with the new lot.

I would imagine Lee went as he's going to linkup with Rafa - as Newcastle lost their assistant over the summer.

Yeah, just came on here to see if anyone else has spotted that! His would have expired next year, so good that he's on board with the new lot.

I would imagine Lee went as he's going to linkup with Rafa - as Newcastle lost their assistant over the summer.

Yeah, there was a tweet from a little while ago that said that was happening.

Newcastle have already replaced their assistant with Mikel Antia.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-united-announce-new-coach-11418150

Facebook, Twitter, OS. Shame really, always showed enrhusiasm and provided a link to the players and the club history. Good luck Sammy.

What link did Sammy Lee provide to the club's history?

About three months he was here during the arse end of Branfoot. I've had longer dumps than that.