Arsenal vs. Saints build up thread

Dark Munster

A couple of weeks ago we were looking at this match with trepidation. 3 successive impressive wins, plus an Austin, and things have turned around 180 degrees. :D

I guess Austin probably will start, so who makes way? Defensively it's hard to see any changes from the team that started, and played brilliantly, against Man U. Although with 10 days rest Davis may be fit from his mysterious injury.

Austin wont start, still needs proper match fitness. 442 or 532 or whatever it is with Long and Mane running them ragged again please.

Add Bertand and Targett to this too. No one knows if we are playing 442, 4231, 352 or 532... It's absolutely brilliant.

Same lineup as United game I say (maybe Davis for Tadic though) :) Austin as impact sub again :)

Prediction: 1-1. I think we'll open scoring but will be undone at the end.

Mertesackers red card today and missing out on our game could prove costly.... for us.

Would have preferred he started than not against Long and Mane.

Doesn't he miss their FA Cup game next weekend rather than the midweek league game against us?

-------------------- Forster ----------------------

-------VvD --------- Fonte ------- Bertrand ----

Cedric ----------------------------------- Targett

------ Wanyama --- Clasie ----- Davis----------

----------------- Mane ----- Long ----------------

Subs: Stek, Yoshida, Romeu, JWP, Tadic, Pelle, Austin

Davis for tadic. Same team after that.

Agree. Tadic can come on as a second half sub. when he seems more effective; Romeu for one of the mid-fielders if they tire and someone like JWP for the energy/dead ball service should we need it later in the game.

-------------------- Forster ----------------------

-------VvD --------- Fonte ------- Bertrand ----

Cedric ----------------------------------- Targett

------ Wanyama --- Clasie ----- Davis----------

----------------- Mane ----- Long ----------------

Subs: Stek, Yoshida, Romeu, JWP, Tadic, Pelle, Austin

That's an impressive subs bench!

I expect a completely different game to St Marys. I hope we spend enough time in training learning how to defend teams who constantly pass and move it around the edge of the box quickly to disorganise defensives.

Moreover, the importance of tracking late runs into the box (eg. Flamini yesterday when he missed a sitter) and full backs overlapping.

Massive test defensively and completely different to the style of Watford, WB and Man Utd.

If we contain them I think Long/Mane could damage them. And of course the best part of this match is we get to see an "Arsenal performance" from Wanyama!!! ?☺ COYR

I would love a win, but a draw would be great too all things considered, let's be honest.

I expect us to get stuck into Arsenal just like when they came to St Mary's.

The result should go our way if we get that defence pulled apart, which we definitely have the players to do. Even when Mane isn't connecting he is still causing major problems for every defence he comes up against

Just out of interest, why is Mertesecker not suspended for our game....I thought straight red was automatically a 3 game ban? Not complaining, as he never seems to play well against us.

No, just a one game ban, same as two yellows unless it's the second red in a season. Three games is for a red for violent conduct or serious foul play.

Just out of interest, why is Mertesecker not suspended for our game....I thought straight red was automatically a 3 game ban? Not complaining, as he never seems to play well against us.

3 is for violent conduct only. 2 for offensive behavior. Othrr offences are 1. 2 yellows is also 1. Wanyama got 2 matches because it was his second red of the season.

Cannot see Wenger setting his defense up to allow Long and Mane to cause similar problems as they did in December. His midfield will be much tighter to prevent Davis / JWP / Clasie from getting on the ball as much as allowing to make those passes in behind. Going for a tight game, 2-1 / 1-1 in my prediction. Would love an away win but just cannot see it. Austin to come off the bench and hopefully nick a goal.

We were 4 goals better than them a month ago, We will have Soares at wing back in place of Martina and the extra threat of Austin off the bench. It's coming at just the right time, so bring it on. I see us being confident but not complacent, and another win for Saints. The real bonus will be if Liverpool lose to Leicester and we move up to 7th.

judging by the spectacular manner that Costa fell and " feigned death " .... it'd be G.B.H for Merteseker :scared:....and an Oscar for Diego Costa. :lol:

I'm still not convinced this was a red card. Costa 'dies' frequently and this is yet another example of his cheating and trying to con the Ref.

A mate of mine who is an Arsenal fan is convinced they are going to choke and miss out on the title , funny old club who can look amazing but also capable of some shocking performances. The next month will go someway to deciding their season but I think we're capable of going there and making it uncomfortable for them in front of a restless home crowd.

30th Jan Burnley H - FA Cup

02nd Feb Southampton H - league

07th Feb Bournemouth A - league

14th Feb Leicester H league

20th Feb FA Cup 5th round

23rd Feb - Barcelona A - Champs League

28th Feb - Man Utd A

2nd Mar - Swansea H

For any Saints fans making the journey up by train South West Trains are doing a £15 off peak return promotion at the moment but the trains are delayed heading home due to engineering works between Basingstoke and Eastleigh.

Would be good to have Steven Davis back for this one, we were very unlucky to lose to a late goal last season, I'm going for 1-1. Would be nice if our fans make a bit more noise this season rather than saving their voices for singing Theo's name at the end of the match as he comes over to clap the away end despite having only played a few games for us.

Historically speaking - Away wins against Arsenal are almost as rare as those against Man.Utd, but we must hope that too may soon change.

I was " privileged " to see one of those, but it goes back almost 50 years to the Easter fixure in 1967.

Saints were without the legend that was Ron Davies (who had single-handedly saved us from relegation in our first Top tier season) and his place was taken by the diminutive reserve CF Mickey Judd.....but this match was to become a coupon-buster of the first order.

Saints scored with a rare goal from right back Joe Kirkup (tbh - even Joe would have admitted it was more of a centre than a shot).

Then came Mickey Judd's effort followed by a Terry Paine penalty (brought about by the frustration of the harrassd Arsenal defence)...and Saints ran out 3-0 winners.

Man of the Match was Saints' Jimmy Melia, (who was unfortunate to be the butt of many fans anger at The Dell), but I wish they'd been there on the day to see his masterful midfield display.

I won't be around in another 50 years, but I can only hope we can see a few repeat performances - starting this weekend.

Edited by david in sweden