Arsenal vs. Saints build up thread

Dark Munster

Think we're aiming for "The Library", or we went to the "Twelve Pins" last year which is a nice pub....got the day off tomorrow so will be up there a bit earlier than expected! Should be a good game...would go:

Forster

Cedric VVD Fonte Bertrand Targett

Mane Wanyama Clasie Tadic

Long

Austin to be the match winner for the second week in a row ;)

I see (not surprisingly) none of the pundits are giving us much chance I have to admit to being quietly confident of coming away with something from this game.

Bit of Lawro from the BBC

If they are going to win the Premier League, they have to deal with teams like Southampton and despatch them at home.

Southampton have been playing three at the back of late, and looking very comfortable, and Ronald Koeman's new formation has also seen them do well with two up front.

But if they play with two strikers at the Emirates Stadium, I only see one outcome. Arsenal to win, and make up for their no-show in their 4-0 defeat at St Mary's on Boxing Day.

Lawro's prediction: 2-0.

Bit of Merson on sky

This is a difficult game for Arsenal. Southampton have really turned a corner. They had a bit of a dodgy patch but they've got a run going. They're not letting in too many goals and are very hard to beat making this one a potential banana skin for Arsenal.

Having Alexis Sanchez back is a real boost for the Gunners and I also think the fact Per Mertesacker is suspended is a bonus too, because we all saw what Shane Long did to him in the reverse fixture on Boxing Day. That's the way Southampton would have tried to play again, hitting long balls over the top of Mertesacker for Long to chase.

Still, it's a difficult game for the Gunners but one they will win because of the return of Sanchez. He will score the first goal for me in what will be a 3-1 home win.

PAUL PREDICTS: 3-1

Bit of Michael Owen

Arsenal v Southampton Gunners’ boss Arsene Wenger has gone head-to-head with Ronald Koeman on ten previous occasions as Arsenal manager but has only come out on top twice. Saints have won their last three without conceding a goal whilst the Gunners have not been at their best but this is a game they must win if they are to mount a realistic title challenge. Michael’s recommendation: Arsenal to win

Suprised anyone would suggest dropping Mane.

He is our best attacker and is ideally suited to exploiting the space Arsenal give you because of their attacking style.

Austin had a good impact against Utd but don't change what has been working really well.

Read somewhere RK has hinted Austin might start but I'd agree with keepinghim on the bench for impact.

Long and Mané should be an effective pair behind Arsenal's sluggish defence. Only question for me is Tadic or JWP.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Reckon it will be JWP but that advanced midfield position would be my no 1 aim to improve in the summer.

Davis is good there linking play but doesn't score enough. JWP the same in spades. Tadic may score more and find the key pass, but general workrate and link play not quite there. Mané should be exciting in that position, but in his current frame of mind won't provide anything for team mates.

So if we could play three or four of them in a 13 man team, could work well. ?

Davis is good there linking play but doesn't score enough. JWP the same in spades. Tadic may score more and find the key pass, but general workrate and link play not quite there. Mané should be exciting in that position, but in his current frame of mind won't provide anything for team mates.

So if we could play three or four of them in a 13 man team, could work well.

Should be tadic, jwp is not good in the advanced midfield position.

Suprised anyone would suggest dropping Mane.

He is our best attacker and is ideally suited to exploiting the space Arsenal give you because of their attacking style.

Austin had a good impact against Utd but don't change what has been working really well.

I'm with you St Charlie - Mane might not be finding the back of the net but the rest of his running, passing game is in good shape. Some of the goals he's missed scoring most others would not have got themselves into the position to score in the first place; the sublime touch and miscued left foot against Man U comes to mind.

would be very surprised if Austin starts. Not match fit, surely?

Koeman said in yesterday's pre-match press conference that it's a possibility he could start. So, he's "match fit" enough to start. Whether that means he's fit enough to last 90 minutes is up for debate I guess.

Merson talking about Mertesacker being suspended- I thought that he was back for this one?

He wasn't in the squad for their cup game against Burnley so I assume he served his suspension then, so he should (hopefully) be back for tonight. Wouldn't be the first time Merson didn't know what he was talking about, would it?

I agree that Long and Mane are creating havoc and producing chances, but we need a finisher too. Thats why I'd like to see Austin out there at the same time. Ideally I'd like to see all three out there and see what happens. If it works it would be our strongest offensive set. Also I think Austin is more active than people think. They look at him like just a "fox in the box" type, but he can do lots more.

Tadic is better out wide though never seems to be that good in the hole. A good attacking midfielder has to be on the summer shopping list.
I would have completely agreed with you a month ago, but Tadic's last two goals have come from playing in a more central position.

I will agree that he is excellent out wide though (on the left, of course)

Koeman said in yesterday's pre-match press conference that it's a possibility he could start.

So, he's "match fit" enough to start. Whether that means he's fit enough to last 90 minutes is up for debate I guess.

That was in response to the interviewer asking ...if Austin "might" start?

Ronald says " he might " which I read as meaning..." you don't think I'm stupid enough to tell Wenger my starting line-up 24 hours before the game - do you?" :smug:

That was in response to the interviewer asking ...if Austin "might" start?

Ronald says " he might " which I read as meaning..." you don't think I'm stupid enough to tell Wenger my starting line-up 24 hours before the game - do you?" :smug:

Fair point, although Koeman is usually pretty straight-talking when it comes to questions about players' fitness and availability to start or otherwise. Indeed, when asked a similar question ahead of the Man Utd game I'm pretty sure he said that it was unlikely that Austin would be in the starting 11. I guess we'll find out one way or t'other in a couple of hours :)