Debut goals for Saints on debut appearance.

Pancake

After Charlie took all of 7 mins to score on his debut, my son asked if it was the quickest goal for a player making his first appearance for Saints.

My brain isn't what it used to be and we have had so many players over the years that all I could remember was Kevin Phillips netting in the 2-2 against Leicester when he came on at half time and scored with 20 to go, so about 25 mins to get a goal. I think.

Any others?

Leandre Griffit came on for his debut in the 82nd minute against Blackburn and scored in the 87th.

Saganowski hit the bar about 15 seconds into his I think, what a start that would have been.

David Connolly can't have been on more than 10 minutes against Oldham either.

After Charlie took all of 7 mins to score on his debut, my son asked if it was the quickest goal for a player making his first appearance for Saints.

My brain isn't what it used to be and we have had so many players over the years that all I could remember was Kevin Phillips netting in the 2-2 against Leicester when he came on at half time and scored with 20 to go, so about 25 mins to get a goal. I think. Any others?

This is an interesting thread for " nerds " who like statistics. Firstly I will admit that I didn't do this from memory, but my well-thumbed copy of In That Number.

In fact, it isn't that unusual for debutants to score. From post WW2 era, 16 players between Bobby Veck (1946-47) and Mick Channon (1965-66) achieved it.

For Master Pancake's info. The fastest recorded debutant was Tommy Mulgrew in 1954-55 season, which he scored in ....15 seconds.

After which, in the old Div.1 (read Prem.level) goals were harder to come by and the list is shorter...but reads; Bobby Stokes, Graham Baker, Steve Moran, Austin Hayes, Stuart McManus, Gordon Hobson, Colin Clarke, Paul Rideout, and ....Tahar El Khalej....(those others who came after have been listed by some of you already).

Interestingly; of those named...only Steve Moran and Stuart McManus (and now Charlie Austin) have scored on their debuts... as an oncoming sub.

**Alan Shearer's legendary hat-trick v. Arsenal at The Dell (1987)......was his home debut, as he had been a sub. in two earlier away fixtures.

Perhaps not the quickest but I recall seeing Micky Judd and Bobby Stokes score on their respective debuts.

I seem to recall they were both Easter holiday fixtures, and it was shirtsleeves weather for both.

Actually the Micky Judd goal (I saw that one too - at Highbury) wasn't his debut , although it was his first goal but he'd been sub. in an earlier fixture v Chelsea.

Mentioned above, I think Kevin Phillips scored twice on his debut at home to Leicester

it was away at Leicester. Bloody great game that. Two nil down at half time and then KP and BT score late in the second half and then we almost won it at the death.