Hampshire CCC 2016 Season thread.

Window Cleaner

Both caught at deep square leg, hooking bouncers. The fielder didn't have to move either time and he was inside the shorter 60 yard boundary. It was laughable.

Never been spoken about, even by Weston. Heard rumour at the time about a punch-up in pre-season tour.

He also took an amazing one handed return catch off McLaren.

All I know is he never seemed to fit in. Some one who spoke to Coles about him leaving told me this evening Coles said "I do not know, ask Rod" I know Rod Bransgrove was not impressed with the extra weight Coles was carrying when he signed for us on a 2 year contract. I think there were issues.

Dale did say one of his regrets was having to let Coles go back to Kent but he also said Rod Bransgrove was always very supportive and helpful but never interfered with the cricket side. I often speak to Rod and can confirm he is not an interferer with the dressing room or tactics although he will question matters and ask for reports.

In my opinion and those of many who were with me tonight was that Coles was a "bad egg" Forget the 6 wickets tonight, our batsmen made it far to easy for him although one was a stunning return catch which just stuck in the hand! He is no good, does not listen and does not fit in.

I remember when he first came I spoke to someone in the Kent dressing room who said his main problem is that he was not prepared to listen to advice. Nothing appears to have changed!

He's only just returned from a month off. Kent wouldn't say he was suspended. Just that he was "unavailable". :rolleyes:

Of course he's trouble. He's from Maidstone! :scared:

Lol. Let's hope he doesn't go there on a Saturday night.

Regarding Coles, trouble seems to follow him around and he does blow hot and cold. Nevertheless, on his day, he's a very capable performer.

Not Hampshire but Aussies set world record. 154 deliveries and not a run scored. Hard to believe

The no.10, O'Keefe, batted with a runner for 32 overs, until he was last out. In that time the Aussies scored four runs and that from a boundary.

His "runner" didn't do a lot of running.

Dawson with another belter of an innings, 100 off 69, including 29 off his last 6 balls. Only 13 dot balls, and his first 50 only included one boundary, so showed the value of finding the gaps in the field and rotating the strike. 316/5 puts us in a strong position on what sounds like a fairly slow wicket.

Huge swing in our net run rate with that win as well, gone from -0.137 to +0.467. Surrey are the only side with a better NRR than us now, so we're well in the mix with a game to play. Somerset have already qualified with a home draw for the quarter-final, so hopefully they take their eye off the ball and we can sneak a win on Tuesday.

1. Somerset 11

2. Essex 9 (in play v Middlesex, probably slight favourites to win)

3. Hampshire 8 - +0.467

4. Kent 8 - +0.458

5. Surrey 6 (+1 game) +1.02

6. Middlesex 6 (in play)

7. Glamorgan 6 - -0.32

8. Gloucestershire 4

9. Sussex 2

Remaining games:

Tomorrow - Surrey v Glamorgan

Tuesday - Gloucestershire v Essex, Hampshire v Somerset, Middlesex v Surrey, Sussex v Kent

Dawson is rapidly turning himself into one of the most desirable players in county cricket. A match winning all-rounder who probably won't be called up for Test cricket therefore won't miss too many games. My concern is if we go down ill he won't to leave, he must still have Test ambitions.

Hampshire have made 28 days approaches for Varun Chopra Age 29 (Warks), Mark Stoneman 29 (Durham) & Olly Stone 22 (Northants).

Chopra and Stoneham are seasoned openers and I suspect only one out of the two would be signed if terms were agreed. Many other counties are also looking. Stone is out injured for the rest of the season http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2016/content/story/1023733.html

Stoneham has gone to Surrey and Stone to Warwickshire.

Huge swing in our net run rate with that win as well, gone from -0.137 to +0.467. Surrey are the only side with a better NRR than us now, so we're well in the mix with a game to play. Somerset have already qualified with a home draw for the quarter-final, so hopefully they take their eye off the ball and we can sneak a win on Tuesday.

1. Somerset 11

2. Essex 9 (in play v Middlesex, probably slight favourites to win)

3. Hampshire 8 - +0.467

4. Kent 8 - +0.458

5. Surrey 6 (+1 game) +1.02

6. Middlesex 6 (in play)

7. Glamorgan 6 - -0.32

8. Gloucestershire 4

9. Sussex 2

Remaining games:

Tomorrow - Surrey v Glamorgan

Tuesday - Gloucestershire v Essex, Hampshire v Somerset, Middlesex v Surrey, Sussex v Kent

Essex fecked up. Losing by 5 runs only chasing 219.

Its not inconceivable that we finish 2nd and have a home q/f. When I left halfway through Kent's stroll last Tuesday that wasn't on my mind.

I've been to The Ageas Bowl twice int he last three weeks. I've watched us bowl 160 overs, take 6 wickets and concede 650 runs. I think this might be the root of the problem. Surrey are going to win their game so the trap door is wide open now! Does anyone care? Probably not.

I've been to The Ageas Bowl twice int he last three weeks. I've watched us bowl 160 overs, take 6 wickets and concede 650 runs. I think this might be the root of the problem. Surrey are going to win their game so the trap door is wide open now! Does anyone care? Probably not.

I agree. It's all your fault.

No comments on the 48-pointer relegation battle? Probably because Saints are back in action. Anyway, looking good after the 2nd day, big lead in their second innings with 9 wickets in hand. 4 wickets for Carter in Notts first innings.

And Alsop and Adams going very well this morning. If we could only win this game we'd be in a good position. Above Notts and a couple of points behind Surrey with a game more to play.

And Alsop and Adams going very well this morning. If we could only win this game we'd be in a good position. Above Notts and a couple of points behind Surrey with a game more to play.

Notts 3 down now, really need to win this. Bowling attack looks better and more varied than it has all season. Remember seeing Carter bowl at Notts and can be genuinely sharp in pace. For whatever reason it didn't work out at Derbys after a few loan spells when he couldn't consistently break into what was a very strong Notts attack. Was surprised that he was still only 27 and if we can get him fit and confident would be a good signing.

Vince dropped from the one dayers, hope he returns with a point to prove. I feel a bit sorry for him as he was at least a year off being ready for Tests IMO but rushed in after a couple of good Lions knocks. Definitely has talent but struggled outside off stump in D1 against better bowlers for first half of last season.

Total rebuild needed of the top order whatever division we are in next season, probably 3 new batters at least to accompany Vince, Alsop and Wetherill. Dawson and Wheater in middle order.

Notts 3 down now, really need to win this. Bowling attack looks better and more varied than it has all season. Remember seeing Carter bowl at Notts and can be genuinely sharp in pace. For whatever reason it didn't work out at Derbys after a few loan spells when he couldn't consistently break into what was a very strong Notts attack. Was surprised that he was still only 27 and if we can get him fit and confident would be a good signing.

Vince dropped from the one dayers, hope he returns with a point to prove. I feel a bit sorry for him as he was at least a year off being ready for Tests IMO but rushed in after a couple of good Lions knocks. Definitely has talent but struggled outside off stump in D1 against better bowlers for first half of last season.

Total rebuild needed of the top order whatever division we are in next season, probably 3 new batters at least to accompany Vince, Alsop and Wetherill. Dawson and Wheater in middle order.

Well I don't know if we're trying to buy wickets this afternoon but we're getting slammed. The target which looked totally ungettable for Notts half an hour ago now looks to be a distinct possibilty if these two batsmen stay together for much longer.

then again Surrey look as if they'll win again so it may not make much difference.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Deductions:

[TABLE=width: 734]

[TR]

[TD]– 15 April: Hampshire deducted 1.0 point for Slow over rate.[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]– 1 June: Hampshire deducted 2.0 points for Slow over rate.

Hopefully this doesnt cost us at the end of the season. The only County with these penalties[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

294 all out. Brad Wheal 6/51.

What a great win! Still a tall order to stay up but we have a chance. I just liked the look of our bowling attack - variations - which we haven't had all season. Hopefully Adams can carry on his late season form and Vince comes back with a determination to prove England wrong. Love the fact it's our young bowlers doing the business.

We'll need something other than shirtfronts at Rose Bowl though! Need to continue taking 20 wickets to win matches.

Good news, Hants win. Bad news, so did Surrey. Unbelievably, Surrey have moved up to second :scared: (albeit having played a couple of matches more than some others).

Notts surely doomed. But it will take some great results to catch a team above.

Catching Warwickshire must be our most realistic hope I suppose, 17 points ahead of us with exactly the same WDL record.

Lack of bonus points throughout the season may cost us in the end, not to mention the penalty points deducted. Still 4 games to go and we seem to be both batting and bowling a bit better than the start of the season.

Catching Warwickshire must be our most realistic hope I suppose, 17 points ahead of us with exactly the same WDL record.

Lack of bonus points throughout the season may cost us in the end, not to mention the penalty points deducted. Still 4 games to go and we seem to be both batting and bowling a bit better than the start of the season.

Surrey too (even though now currently third). They've played one more, and we still have to play them. Win that and their 26 point lead gets cut to 10 or less, with still a game in hand.

Apart from the fact that it was turning square after less than an hour and from 92-4 at lunch, it was a great score. What does it matter how fast they scored at.

Tremendous effort from Slug and McLaren has got us into a position where we can win and that is far more important than satisfying your desire for one-day scoring rates.

Apart from the fact that it was turning square after less than an hour and from 92-4 at lunch, it was a great score. What does it matter how fast they scored at.

Tremendous effort from Slug and McLaren has got us into a position where we can win and that is far more important than satisfying your desire for one-day scoring rates.

Left-handers have been faring much better on the surface so far. Be interesting to see if Hants can get Trescothick early, he's turned back time this year after wearing glasses.

Where is Carter? Is he injured? Still looks like a much more varied attack than we've had all season though, and it served us well in our last 4 day game. Hopefully Wainwright isn't too rusty and can support Crane. Crane might come into it more in Somerset's second innings, so David key in the first to be tidy and build pressure if it stops turning for a time.

Glad we batted first if it does deteriorate.

Steve - agree with you that we can only measure Hants score on how Somerset do although with 336 first knock, unlikely to see a deduction unless it rags square on day 3 and there's 20 wickets in a day or something daft.

Just buffet bowling for the inevitable declaration now by the looks of it. All enthusiasm probably gone now. I'd now expect us to get shot out by their spinners very cheaply 2nd innings. At 300 for 6 it was in the balance, but this is abysmal stuff now.

I reckon they'll declare when Overton gets his maiden hundred, or if he's out before getting there. Whichever comes first.

Game seems to be a bit stop/start for bad light though, probably end in a draw if that continues into tomorrow. Doesn't really matter, Warks and Surrey look to be in good or reasonable positions not to lose anyway so it's about all up for relegation.