Hampshire CCC 2016 Season thread.

Window Cleaner

Can't dispute that, but I'm saying that clubs are preparing safer wickets on that basis that they may get put into bat. The ruling has scared clubs into preparing anything apart from flat wickets.

Well we won the toss today and elected to bat...just look where it's gotten us. In fact the less choice we have the better it will probably be.

Well we won the toss today and elected to bat...just look where it's gotten us. In fact the less choice we have the better it will probably be.

I feel like I got this a bit wrong. Turns out the wickets may not be as flat as I first thought. Either that or I was right and we're just ****.

Theres been about 15 games in the championship this year and only two results! surely this is a result of abandoning the toss. Teams are just preparing flat wickets knowing that any wicket with any life and the away side will bowl first. I think it's a crap idea.

There have also been 7 double centuries so far this season.

Got a couple of bowling points in the last qualifying overs anyway. Now for a long, drab, safe batting session...hopefully.

5 wickets after 110 overs. Isn't that 1 point?

With Vince set to be called up by England its hard to see anything other than relegation at this stage.

Sub par batting lineup with couple of players in the top 6 really struggling and a lack of good pace options.

Clearly unlucky with injuries but also didn't do enough with signings, especially with the bat.

With Vince set to be called up by England its hard to see anything other than relegation at this stage.

Sub par batting lineup with couple of players in the top 6 really struggling and a lack of good pace options.

Clearly unlucky with injuries but also didn't do enough with signings, especially with the bat.

We'll see, most thought that we'd be relegated last season as well and then we got a few useful results.

I think we need a miracle to survive this season.

200/6 against one of the favourites so showing some fighting spirit, Alsop 57 no and clearly benefiting from dropping down the order. So that's one bonus point, let's hope the tail wags and we can get a couple more. We won't know if 250-300 is a good score until Notts bat.

To survive this season, everyone is going to have to contribute runs from 1 to 11 with the bat and we'll probably need a few of the batters to roll their arm over to supplement the thin front line bowling. It's a bits and pieces side that should finish bottom by a mile, a bit like the Saints sides in the 90s minus MLT, but hopefully team spirit and getting a couple of helpful wickets might just see us over the line. We might have to sacrifice the T20 and 50 over stuff though and play the academy sides in that as the squad won't last across all competitions.

Doing OK today 210 or so ahead with six wickets down hopefully 250 will be a winning score

Another injury Topley out for three months with a stress fracture to the back.

Still odds on to be relegated need a top class batsman maybe two now that Vince is away on Test Duty

We're going to throw it away aren't we! This is what is so irritating about the current version of Hampshire CCC, get into great positions and then just bung them out of the window.

then again perhaps not, Tino took 2 in an over and they're on the ropes now; Must be a good game to watch.

even better Crane took 2 in 2 balls, their last man didn't bat...Won it.

Does that leave Crane on a technical HT next time he bowls ?

Edited by Window Cleaner

Brilliant win. Tino and Crane demolished the tail. Best may not keep this form and pace levels up but let's hope he does so long enough to get another couple of wins. McLaren has been our player of season so far and breakthrough knock for Alsop at 6.

Top order still fragile and even more so minus Vince. Need to strengthen in that area.

Last year Middlesex "kindly" allowed us to play our first T20 game at Lords. Not bad, seeing as the competition started in 2003. This year its back to normal and a field in Uxbridge that I've played at several times.

They've made it doubly appealing, by playing it on a Friday night, so I'm leaving now for a fun time on the M3/M25. :scared:

Middlesex won the toss and are batting.

Weatherley in for Alsop who has flu. Good move as these two are our prospective openers when Carberry and Adams retire in the near future. Must give them as much experience as possible.

6/1 as Tomlinson gets Gubbins

Middlesex played into our hands. 333 for 3. That's triple Nelson. That's got to be unlucky. In for the kill lads.

Today was pathetic. Hants are very limited side and would struggle in D2 this year if we are being honest but we saw what could happen when they give 110% v Notts. If they give fractionally less than their best, they will get huge hidings like this one and like they had at Lancs. To not try is unacceptable in any walk of sport or employment. Adams has totally had it and should have gone on a compromise agreement over the winter. Galling to see Fuller taking wickets against us, should have been a bowler Hants were in for last year.

Some posters on here won't like seeing these facts, but if SFC is a well run machine with a clear strategy, HCCC is a shambles with no leadership or vision. Major surgery was clearly needed over the winter to make us competitive and White bottled it.

White out!

Just to clarify, I'm not criticising the commercial side of the club which performed well last year. My critiques are aimed at the playing and coaching sides, which had the winter to get their house in order and flunked it. They knew we only had 2 D1 quality top order Carbs and Vince, and one of those is on England duty. They have been unlucky with the Topley and Edwards injuries but the bowling looked thin over a whole season even without those. They knew we needed compromise agreements with the likes of Tommo and Aams to free up wages and didn't deal with it.

That's why White has to go.

This game is a new low even for Hants - Carberry, Adams, Smith, Ervine and Wheater should be moved on and Dawson shouldn't be batting any higher than 5. Rather see us in Div 2 giving youngsters a full season than this shambles

Vince will be away soon enough as well i'd bet - to an established Div 1 side

This game is a new low even for Hants - Carberry, Adams, Smith, Ervine and Wheater should be moved on and Dawson shouldn't be batting any higher than 5. Rather see us in Div 2 giving youngsters a full season than this shambles

Vince will be away soon enough as well i'd bet - to an established Div 1 side

Probably a bit harsh on Wheater he's scored 300 runs at almost 40 an innings this year. I'd probably keep Ervine. I agree with Carbs, Adams and Smith. Great players, but possibly time to go. I imagine they realise this, they all seem pretty honest stand-up guys. A lot resting on our younger players. I'm not sure if Vince leaving would be a disaster. If he's contracted to England we won't see much of him anyway.

Look to be heading towards one of our most ignominious ever defeats then having obtained just 1 bowling point from the whole match. The win against Notts was very encouraging and a reasonable performance in this game should have put us sort of mid-table . As it is we'll be bottom 2 again.

It's absolutely laughable in all seriousness. How can you honestly take minus 1 from a championship game?! I've barely ever known a team to only get 1 point, let alone a sub zero "haul".

Hopefully the pure ignominy of actually losing points will bang a few heads together. One can only hope.

I was wrong....we were docked two points for slow over rate so ended the game -1 points. Indisciplined bowling must be looked at.

Excessive field changes perhaps. Although I've noticed that Middlesex scored only about 200 of their runs in boundaries, the rest barring extras were all run, perhaps that slows the over rate down as well. Ah yes 2 left handers and a right hander each scoring a century or more, so that at virtually all times they had a lefty and a righty at the crease. Don't see that we should be penalised for that myself, there are bound to be a lot of field changes in those partnerships.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Excessive field changes perhaps. Although I've noticed that Middlesex scored only about 200 of their runs in boundaries, the rest barring extras were all run, perhaps that slows the over rate down as well. Ah yes 2 left handers and a right hander each scoring a century or more, so that at virtually all times they had a lefty and a righty at the crease. Don't see that we should be penalised for that myself, there are bound to be a lot of field changes in those partnerships.
Slow over rate takes all that into account. At the end of the game the scorers, who record the over rate and time incidents, negotiate with the Umpires at the end of the game to come up with a fair and balanced judgment. We were actually -3 but negotiated down to -2. Spinners can help. Middlesex only used spin for 13 overall in 2 innings. We used 36 in one innings! It is about time management so blame is with the bowlers and the captain. There is no other excuse.