Hampshire CCC 2016 Season thread.

Window Cleaner

Adam Wheater has gone back to Essex on a months loan deal.

Cant see him replacing James Foster as keeper just yet and he's not included in their squad for tomorrow,

I think that Essex will eventuallymake sure, he's happy. There's no other reason to let you're top run scorer go in a **** season when your facing relegation other than something has gone very wrong behind the scenes I think it's an enormous shame, I think he's got the potential to be our best batsmen, we aint going to see him play for Hampshire again that's my guess.

I think that Essex will eventuallymake sure, he's happy. There's no other reason to let you're top run scorer go in a **** season when your facing relegation other than something has gone very wrong behind the scenes I think it's an enormous shame, I think he's got the potential to be our best batsmen, we aint going to see him play for Hampshire again that's my guess.

I agree although Wheater only left Essex because he had no chance of getting the gloves off Foster. Bizarre decision by Giles White to loan him out for a month when we are fighting the drop but that's nothing new, I'm sure Mr Teflon will survive Rod's bullet yet another winter. He was a very average player as well so hardly a surprise. At any Test ground club he'd have been sacked last winter.

Clearly there were problems when Benkenstein was coach and those have eased a bit since he left and hopefully the upturn hasn't come too late. Fine effort with the ball today, although the last wicket partnership is irritating. Our bowling looks so much more varied and great 5-for by Berg.

Vince needs to get his head in order - lucky today's drops off Balance weren't costly. Bit cross with England for picking him a year or two early IMO.

Let's see what unfolds tomorrow - Smith and Adams need to fire up top as Vince looks shot, Alsop is a talent but young so lots riding on our two middle order stalwarts Ervine and McClaren. Great performances at Taunton but will interesting to see if the pitch has spice for both sides.

I agree although Wheater only left Essex because he had no chance of getting the gloves off Foster. Bizarre decision by Giles White to loan him out for a month when we are fighting the drop but that's nothing new, I'm sure Mr Teflon will survive Rod's bullet yet another winter. He was a very average player as well so hardly a surprise. At any Test ground club he'd have been sacked last winter.

Clearly there were problems when Benkenstein was coach and those have eased a bit since he left and hopefully the upturn hasn't come too late. Fine effort with the ball today, although the last wicket partnership is irritating. Our bowling looks so much more varied and great 5-for by Berg.

Vince needs to get his head in order - lucky today's drops off Balance weren't costly. Bit cross with England for picking him a year or two early IMO.

Let's see what unfolds tomorrow - Smith and Adams need to fire up top as Vince looks shot, Alsop is a talent but young so lots riding on our two middle order stalwarts Ervine and McClaren. Great performances at Taunton but will interesting to see if the pitch has spice for both sides.

I agree with the above. I actually think it's time for Vince to go. Still a fantastic player, very capable of still being one of England's best, but it's a bit like Tremlett, it almost feels like he's gone stale here, and it's time to move on. I could see him going to Essex and being a real success

And he duly does, with a useful 60. Still pissed off about Wheater. If we lose by a few runs, his exclusion could've made the difference.

Vince did well, so did Ervine, the rest of them have left us in a bit of a sticky situation at 210/7, especially as we were 198/4 at one point.

Catastrophic collapse then, last 6 wickets lost for about 23 runs..

Edited by Window Cleaner

I really hope relegation is the kick in the teeth the club needs.

Gut out the side of the older underperforming players, give the talented kids a go in div 2, and recruit a few good players.

And probably get a good coach in too

Virtually all of the players have performed well at sometime this season. Trouble is they rarely all perform well at the same time. Take this last match, not bad on the bowling front apart from the 50 or so put on by their last wicket pair. All we needed was some decent batting but all failed apart from Ervine and Vincent, although we probably needed a 100 or so from Vince yesterday. Now the bowling is looking average again so we'll be looking at a big total on the last day.

Consistency is what's lacking really this season.

Looks like there's some good batting from Ervine (again) and McClaren this morning, not to mention Alsop's maiden( ? ) first class ton yesterday. With Warks losing badly already it looks like we may just be going for it here. Of course bowling Surrey out again in time may not be so easy. Still at worst we'll probably be about 8 points behind Warks going into the last round of games in 10 days time or so.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Well.. could Middlesex be doing us a big favour here. They restricted Lancs to 2 bowling points although they collapsed a bit afterward and now the same Lancs are 6/3 in reply. Of course we've seen plenty of middle and late order partnership contrary our plans this season so nothing is certain but a drubbing with just a couple of points for Lancs would put us into a not so dusty position for the last round of games.

Oops scrub that, Lancs have gone to 6/4 while I type.

So, final game tomorrow and quite simply we have to win. A draw could keep us up in theory, but is highly unlikely.

The two teams above us are playing each other. If we win and there's a result in the game between Warks and Lancs game, it's almost certain we'll stay up. Bonus points will be important as it could be close. A 21 plus point haul should keep us up.

You'd hope that we produce a 'result' wicket, but with cloud around, that plays into Durham's strength, which is their seam bowling (Onions, Rushworth, Stokes, Wood). Stokes and Wood may well be rested but we'll wait and see.

Part of me thinks we'll be better off for going down and letting the youngsters play in Div 2, but it's a bloody tough division to get out of, especially with just one promotion spot.

Relegated. A bit disappointing we let Durham double their score in the first innings, from 186-7. Over the course of the season though, we just haven't been good enough. Difficult to complain, we've had a few injuries, but never seemed to be able to capitalise when in commanding positions in the field. Oh well, hopefully some of the younger players will get a chance again next year.

Disappointing game after a great start to the game. However we did not deserve to stay up on our season performance! Our spin bowling was very disappointing in this game.

One ray of hope....I am lead to believe we will have a high profile new signing (bowler) in the close season. No name given yet but comes from an impeccable source.

Fidel Edwards also due back next season and Topley will be fit. Wheal looks an excellent bowler. Crane is still a work in progress and needs more time to learn. ECB placement in Australia in the winter will no double help.

McManus and Alsop have shown they are top class.

Disappointing game after a great start to the game. However we did not deserve to stay up on our season performance! Our spin bowling was very disappointing in this game.

One ray of hope....I am lead to believe we will have a high profile new signing (bowler) in the close season. No name given yet but comes from an impeccable source.

Fidel Edwards also due back next season and Topley will be fit. Wheal looks an excellent bowler. Crane is still a work in progress and needs more time to learn. ECB placement in Australia in the winter will no double help.

Would agree with all of this. At the halfway point of the season the situation abs general performances, were frankly embarrassing. However the 2nd half of the season gives me real hope that we can develop a genuinely decent young side mixed with a bit of experience. For the first time in a long while we have a good handful of young players who seem of a high enough calibre to excel at the highest domestic level. If we can add a decent bowler, as Weston predicts, and the current batch can keep developing, then I would say we have a decent chance of going back up. Notts will probably be favourites though, with only 1 going up.

Notts will probably be favourites though, with only 1 going up.

Two down, one up was just a one off this year to allow for the change to an eight team 1st Division. Believe it's back to two up from next season.

Some encouraging signs for next season after the woeful start and to be fair we weren't helped by injuries. We were already the weakest squad in the division before that hit us so we were always going to struggle and had to start hunting around the bargain bin for any old seamer! If Topley and Edwards had managed a few games each we probably would have stayed up.

McLaren had a great year with the bat but barely took a wicket in the second half of the season. Would probably only keep him on as a Kolpak rather than as main overseas. Although will be unlikely to find an overseas with such good availability. I think Smith may be out of contract? He struggled but would probably keep him for another year as a cover batsman and hope to recruit a decent top order player.

Two down, one up was just a one off this year to allow for the change to an eight team 1st Division. Believe it's back to two up from next season.

Some encouraging signs for next season after the woeful start and to be fair we weren't helped by injuries. We were already the weakest squad in the division before that hit us so we were always going to struggle and had to start hunting around the bargain bin for any old seamer! If Topley and Edwards had managed a few games each we probably would have stayed up.

McLaren had a great year with the bat but barely took a wicket in the second half of the season. Would probably only keep him on as a Kolpak rather than as main overseas. Although will be unlikely to find an overseas with such good availability. I think Smith may be out of contract? He struggled but would probably keep him for another year as a cover batsman and hope to recruit a decent top order player.

After some Googling I finally found that this is true.

Good news about Topley and Edwards then plus a new bowler in view. Was always going to be our problem this last season, dibby dobby dolly drop bowling gets you nowhere, especially if the batting is on the erratic side.

I was lucky enough to see Malcolm Marshall in his first season and it was clear he was from a different planet. I saw Robin Smith in the nets when he was 17 batting with one hand against Tim Tremlett and me and my Dad looked at each other and said "this guy is amazing", the third time this happened is when I saw Mason Crane rip through Notts last year. I thought "this guy is going to be a star" He's had a bit of a disappointing season. I really hope he fulfils his massive potential.

I find it pretty unedifying to hear Rod Bransgrove bleating on Radio Solent saying that Durham should be relegated and we should, therefore, survive. Had we done the business on the pitch, it wouldn't even be an issue. Not as if we've been a pillar of fiscal responsibility during Bransgrove's reign to be taking any sort of moral high ground.

I find it pretty unedifying to hear Rod Bransgrove bleating on Radio Solent saying that Durham should be relegated and we should, therefore, survive. Had we done the business on the pitch, it wouldn't even be an issue. Not as if we've been a pillar of fiscal responsibility during Bransgrove's reign to be taking any sort of moral high ground.

absolutely, if we'd been capable of taking a "normal" number of bonus points throughout the season we'd have not been in the do or die situation that we were on the penultimate day of the season. We were incapable of bowling sides out and that's down to poor management and coaching.

Quite, that did my head in. If Durham are relegated then Kent should be promoted, much better side. Hants were a disaster and better performances in the last few weeks couldn't cover over how terrible we were.

Does anyone know when Giles White will be sacked? Surely he can't survive that train wreck of two winters' recruitment?

Quite, that did my head in. If Durham are relegated then Kent should be promoted, much better side. Hants were a disaster and better performances in the last few weeks couldn't cover over how terrible we were.

Does anyone know when Giles White will be sacked? Surely he can't survive that train wreck of two winters' recruitment?

The rules were already in place for what happens in this situation (ie Hampshire's reprieve.) so it's those that are just being followed.

Does seem like they've been harsh on Durham, with them getting points deductions next season as well.

Hopefully we can use the reprieve to actually build a half decent team.

Well, well, whatever next. Perhaps we already knew eh and didn't bother trying to beat them week before last....or not.

I am not unpleased although the manner of it is ugly enough. We got points deducted for minor things so why should they get away with something more serious. They can't appeal can they ?

Well, well, whatever next. Perhaps we already knew eh and didn't bother trying to beat them week before last....or not.

I am not unpleased although the manner of it is ugly enough. We got points deducted for minor things so why should they get away with something more serious. They can't appeal can they ?

They've agreed to this I think. It's the only thing they can do to stop them going under

They've agreed to this I think. It's the only thing they can do to stop them going under

yep read up on it on the Beeb now. 48 point deduction is just 2 maximum point wins anyway, shouldn't have too much trouble wiping that off with their line up (if they can keep it). In fact compared to minus 10 in football it's quite reasonable for the offence. With Topley and Edwards plus the young lads who've come through this season we might not be too bad, even in Div 1.

I hope all of this doesn't distract from the fact that we desperately need a top order batsman and a front line seamer for next season

Batsmen needed I would say - Alsop and Vince can stay but Carberry unlikely to play again, Adams past it for D1 and Smith was never good enough for D1 anyway. So 3 top order batters including two openers. Wetherill can push for a place next term but we need 3 first choice, seasoned batters at 1,2 and 3.

McLaren as Kolpak, Ervine and Berg worth another season. Agree with you on opening strike bowler although Topley unlucky this year. Some other good youngsters - Crane, McManus.

Craig White can stay but Giles White has to go

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/cricket/hampshire_cricket/14783815.CRICKET__Kent_claim_manner_of_Hants__reprieve_is__plumb_wrong_/?ref=mac

Kent chairman George Kennedy claims the England and Wales Cricket Board has dealt his county "an unfair hand" by declining to consider them for promotion in place of Durham.

The ECB agreed a bail-out for financially-stricken Durham, on a series of conditions including relegation from Division One of the Specsavers County Championship.

In a statement on Monday, the ECB also announced Hampshire will instead remain in the top flight despite finishing below Durham in the second relegation position.

The governing body explained Hampshire's retention of Division One status is "in accordance with ECB's competition regulations".

But Kennedy believes it is "embarrassing", "plumb wrong" and "against the spirit of cricket" to have chosen Hampshire "arbitrarily" as the beneficiaries of Durham's demotion.

babycrying.gif~c200

An ECB spokesman issued no response to any of Kennedy's specific remarks other than to spell out the premise on which Hampshire remain in Division One.

He said: "Yesterday's decision to reinstate Hampshire was in line with the two-down, one-up relegation and promotion rules for this season's county championship which were notified to all counties and published prior to start of the 2016 season."

Exactly. Also, in cricket, football, etc. if a team is deducted points it benefits the teams in the division they are in, not the division below. Saints being just one example, as well as Juventus when they were relegated for match fixing: the third from bottom team were reprieved. No one complained from the division below.

I'm not saying Durham deserved the severe punishment, but if they did get an advantage by not paying their bills it was teams in Div. 1 who suffered, Hants in particular. It had no effect on Div. 2 teams. Also, what if Essex were denied promotion due to financial reasons: would Hants start crying that they shouldn't be relegated? Of course not, Kent would take Essex's place.

The ECB could have avoided all this nonsense simply by deducting Durham 46 points for this season, which is in effect what they have done anyway.

Edited by Dark Munster

Slightly embarrassed that Bransgrove is on the BBC sport website saying that Durhams exclusion as a test venue should benefit Hampshires chances of staging test match. I know he's right, but can he just put a lid on it. I'm just sick of it to be honest. It seems a long way from watching Nigel Cowley bowling donkey-drops at Northlands Road in 1983..and definitely less enjoyable.

Slightly embarrassed that Bransgrove is on the BBC sport website saying that Durhams exclusion as a test venue should benefit Hampshires chances of staging test match. I know he's right, but can he just put a lid on it. I'm just sick of it to be honest. It seems a long way from watching Nigel Cowley bowling donkey-drops at Northlands Road in 1983..and definitely less enjoyable.

I thought Bransgrove said yesterday (or the day before) that Durham being prohibited from staging test cricket just gave everyone else a better chance because of less available grounds. Could be wrong there though.

I thought Bransgrove said yesterday (or the day before) that Durham being prohibited from staging test cricket just gave everyone else a better chance because of less available grounds. Could be wrong there though.

I just thought that it's fairly obvious that having one less test ground means more chance of staging a test. Didn't think it needed to be said. It comes to something that I feel this way, after Hampshire staying up. It's not like Durham have done a Leeds/ Pompey and have tried to buy success beyond their means. In my opinion they are just an example of modern day cricket's struggles. Who knows could be us next.

I just thought that it's fairly obvious that having one less test ground means more chance of staging a test. Didn't think it needed to be said. It comes to something that I feel this way, after Hampshire staying up. It's not like Durham have done a Leeds/ Pompey and have tried to buy success beyond their means. In my opinion they are just an example of modern day cricket's struggles. Who knows could be us next.

I have some information which shows they did try to buy success in playing wages they could not afford. Had they taken the right steps they might not have had such a strong team. I am also aware of an offer to help them out with reorganising the International fixture which they turned down. I feel sorry for the players and the supporters but the club has been financially mismanaged and the ECB have not helped in the past.

As for Hampshire staying up, the ECB have made the right decision. Kent knew only 1 up. They were not affected by Durham mismanagement. We are other counties in the 1st Division may have been

Bransgrove may shoot from the hip but lets not forget he put millions into the club to get them to this stage. They now have a stable financial situation and a promising future. One other thing. He does not interfere with the playing side. He has Director of Cricket and Coaches for that but they are ultimately responsible to the Cricket Board. He was a little surprised Wheater was allowed to go back to Essex before the end of the season but did not interfere.