Hampshire CCC 2016 Season thread.

Window Cleaner

If it had been a 4 day game it would have been a defeat for sure.

Same frailties as last season plus two key bowling injuries already this season.

Might just be worth putting Crane in rather than picking one of the non threat seamers.

Some of the batters really need to show more otherwise we might need to find an Edwards equivalent Kolpak up there.

When was the last time we signed a really good batsman? All of the ones at the minute are either long term fixtures or youth graduates

Smith has done a job but is hardly in the top bracket. Lumb was a pretty high profile signing but I always felt he flattered to deceive in the four day game and before that I can only think of Carberry which was 10 years ago now!

To be fair, I'm not sure how many top class batsmen there are around the circuit at the moment. England have struggled to fill the second opener and number three spot for a while and with Taylor having to retire there's another spot in the middle order up for grabs which may well force them to go back to Bell.

A draw. And lets be honest a absolute ****e performance from the top order.

When has it been anything else, even in Division 2, in recent years?

Club need to be active in the player market, if we go down this year Giles White needs to go this time, don't know what they were up to in the winter, obvious the squad needed major surgery. Top order batsman and a bowler on a Kolpak need to happen asap, especially with Topley probably out until June. Why weren't compromise agreements reached with Tomlinson and Adams? If they feature, it's only because the squad is already so weak. Both are great servants but D1 is the toughest ever this year and tough decisions have been kicked down the road.

Last year should have been a catalyst for change over the winter as there were clearly big problems on and off the pitch last summer but unlike Saints in the modern era, Hants just plodded on like SFC did under Askham season after season on avoiding relegation.

Tomlinson sums it up. Discarded after a few games last year for not being good enough and now will be in the starting XI until at least Topley is back.

How does that work?

The whole attitude is negative. White talking about how they would take confidence from the first game. Why? But for rain it would have been a defeat.

I think some posters forget our club is also trying to develop younger players, Alsop, Weatherley, McManus, Crane, Stevenson Wheal and Taylor come to mind. However you cannot just throw them all in.

We are playing Alsop to get him used to championship cricket as an opener. Crane will be our main spin bowler when it drys out a bit. Weatherley probably needs another year, McManus got games last season and looks the part and Stevenson got starts but is injured, Taylor and Wheal got a look in last season.

Why is Tomlinson playing.....well it is because Berg and Stevenson got pre season injuries and now we have lost Topley. Ervine was not able to bowl either. He did take 3 wickets so is not as useless as some suggest!

Why did we not get another top class batsman or bowler... Where were they supposed to come from for one season only! We have our overseas players so it would have to be English qualified. We must try to balance by developing within, otherwise what is the point of the Academy

We picked up Topley who will hopefully develop into a top world class opening bowler. How is that negative? Taking positives from the opening game.... how is that negative.

Positives... We have Edwards firing as he did last season. We drew a game we would likely have lost last season. We were playing a side who are tipped for the top of the table and apart from Bell we almost matched them. We got the worse of the weather for batting. I spoke to Trott and he said he would not have wanted to bat on the first day. The ball was doing everything. Accept we lost wickets in the second innings and that was frustrating but we did put up a rear guard fight in both innings. I am confident we will improve.

Smith and Ervine places may be at risk if they do not start scoring

So, Yorkshire away tomorrow. The gulf in class between the teams is massive, especially with our bowling injuries.

With the weather set fair in Leeds this week, Yorkshire at 1-3 for the win is printing money really.

Hants team will probably be the same, with Wood? in for Topley. It will shore up the batting at bit at least

So, Yorkshire away tomorrow. The gulf in class between the teams is massive, especially with our bowling injuries.

With the weather set fair in Leeds this week, Yorkshire at 1-3 for the win is printing money really.

Hants team will probably be the same, with Wood? in for Topley. It will shore up the batting at bit at least

Not a bad start for Hants though. Taken 3 wickets and Yorkshire are at just 2 runs an over. No doubt they'll find a big middle order partnership but Hants have pinned them down so far.

I see the wheels have fallen off. I'd love them to play Mason Crane. I always think if 3 seamers can't do it, why play four? You might as well try some variety. It's not just the turn. a decent slow bowler always presents a different challenge.

I see the wheels have fallen off. I'd love them to play Mason Crane. I always think if 3 seamers can't do it, why play four? You might as well try some variety. It's not just the turn. a decent slow bowler always presents a different challenge.

Might have to for the next match.

Wood has gone off mid-over with a knee injury which is a shame as he has had a history of knee troubles unfortunately.

Pace options looking sparse two games into the season.

And Dawson cannot bowl because of pain in his stomach

Whoops - and hope Wood's injury not serious, did wonder if him playing 4 day cricket was a good idea. Topley was unlucky - you can't predict impact injuries - but bowling now desperately thin.

Looks like Giles White will be busy on the phone getting some bowlers in.

Take your point WS about developing young players and I want to see that too but can't throw them all in, particularly the batters, on green seamers in April. Smith was well short of D1 class all of last season, Ervine was off form but at least contributes with the ball. With Adams and Tommo still on the books, I think supporters will question why some tough decisions weren't made to free up more cash to strengthen over the winter to give the youngsters space to be introduced as they are ready, supported by experienced players in some sort of form for a couple of seasons.

Often the way with Hampshire unfortunately. I've noticed that there nearly always seems to be a big 4th/5th/6th wicket stand against us after we've gotten into the top order a bit.

And similarly you can always back us to be 3 or 4 down for less than 100 pretty much every time we bat. Never going to do much with such a poor top order, Vince excluded.

Great effort so far today. A draw still a possibility if we can bat out most of today for this first innings.

39 overs left today at the time of posting. Not sure that we could reasonably expect to last that long but with Wheater and Ervine dug in it's a possibility. Yorkshire made it impossible for us to win anyway so taking the 5 points for the draw would be a real bonus.

Looking ahead, for those in the know, is Alsop ready for Div. 1 cricket?

Alsop the best of the young batsmen at the club, very difficult to open in Div 1 in April, hopefully he may get another chance further down the order if Vince away with England next month after Jimmy back to open. Weatherley less impressive.

Brilliant effort from the guys last 2 days. Edwards injury is compounding problems though, will need at least 2 loans but where do we get decent bowlers from if they aren't being selected by their teams? Maybe Matthew Fisher from Yorks now they have Willey but haven't selected him for this game?

Brilliant effort from the guys last 2 days. Edwards injury is compounding problems though, will need at least 2 loans but where do we get decent bowlers from if they aren't being selected by their teams? Maybe Matthew Fisher from Yorks now they have Willey but haven't selected him for this game?

Dunn or Burke from Surrey? v difficult to get any quality and either of those would help, although hard to imagine surrey releasing either. let's hope fidel only a minor injury.

Edwards has an ankle injury according to Solent. Could be out for up to 2 months according to early estimates.

Horrendous luck with injury.

He was injured during the pre match football warm up.

Edit: Apparently it actually wasnt during the footy.

Edited by Saint Charlie

A little birdie tells me Tino Best may play for Hampshire 2nds tomorrow at Ageas Bowl. Also that they may play it on the main ground not the nursery. Tom Barber who was released by Hampshire may be in the Somerset side!

There was a story in the Daily Mail onlinetwo days ago with Tino saying he has slept with between 500 & 650 women! There appears to be no doubts in regards to his stamina. Promising signs already .

Good start today, very welcome top order ton by Carbs and Dawson approaching 50. Another low score for Adams though, Alsop back in once weather warms up and pitches dry out.

Notts collapsed to Yorks, up against a strong attack although Willey conceded a few with the new ball. Hales got 36, but rivals have posted tons recently. Will be interesting to see if England selectors stick with him. Probably will with Taylor's sad retirement frees up a middle order slot.

Theres been about 15 games in the championship this year and only two results! surely this is a result of abandoning the toss. Teams are just preparing flat wickets knowing that any wicket with any life and the away side will bowl first. I think it's a crap idea.

Theres been about 15 games in the championship this year and only two results! surely this is a result of abandoning the toss. Teams are just preparing flat wickets knowing that any wicket with any life and the away side will bowl first. I think it's a crap idea.

Virtually every match has been rain affected also so far. Losing much more than a session in 4 day cricket pretty much equals a draw. This most recent game a great example.

Virtually every match has been rain affected also so far. Losing much more than a session in 4 day cricket pretty much equals a draw. This most recent game a great example.

Don't quite agree. At this time of year theres always a lot of rain and you normally have more results than this. If you look at the natioanal batting averages it would suggest batting is a pretty simple this year. Even Hampshire have five batsmen with current averages over 40! The bottom line is wickets are definitely playing easier, loads of 400 plus scores.

5 of the 8 matches just completed had the conventional toss.

5 of the 8 matches just completed had the conventional toss.

Can't dispute that, but I'm saying that clubs are preparing safer wickets on that basis that they may get put into bat. The ruling has scared clubs into preparing anything apart from flat wickets.

Good news for Hants this year. Maybe we can draw our way to safety!