40 year anniversary of Keegan signing for Saints

CumbrianSaint

Remember it well. I was 13 when he signed and whilst I was at school on this day 36 years ago i remember someone telling me that we had signed KK and i laughed at him convinced it was a wind up. A little while later somebody else at school said Saints had signed him. Thinking the two rumours had all originated from the same place i was still convinced it was all bull****.

I was on my way home from school and a woman i knew who lived at the bottom of our road was stood on her doorstep and she shouted to me that Saints had signed Keegan.......I sprinted up the road to my house and put the radio on and they were talking about it at the time i switched it on. As a Saints mad teenager to say i was excited was an understatement. In them days we were reliant on TV and Radio and newspapers for news, there were no mobile phones or internet to check things out back then.

Any youngsters reading this this will wonder why the story is so special. Well Keegan was the European footballer of the year, he was England captain and he was playing for one of the top sides in Europe at the time in Hamburg. Can you imagine Saints signing Lionel Messi tomorrow? Well this was akin to that. Keegan was widely regarded as one of the best players in the world at the time. Maradona was still young and emerging but Keegan was at his prime. It was a truly unbelievable signing by Lawrie McMenemy at the time. The city was buzzing.

It was announced in February but Keegan didn't actually make his debut until August as he was seeing out the remainder of his contract at Hamburg.

Who went to the "Port Cup" fixture v Hamburg at the Volsparkstadion that summer?

I did ent on Foley tours in and out with not a lot of time in Hamburg at all

Made up for lack of time there then by staying three nights for UEFA cup trip a couple of years later

I was 11 and playing a school match on the grounds behind what is now Chamberlayne leisure centre in Weston Lane when one of mates came rushing up saying Keegan had signed. It was amazing even at that age. I think is THE greatest transfer by an English team in history. Still the only team to sign the CURRENT European Footballer of the year. Its a shame he was injured so much before moving to The Toon.

I was on the ski slopes in Austria at the time and was told the news by a group of Watford fans we met there

Of course I didn't believe it and it wasn't until I saw a copy of the Daily Mail the following day that I knew it was true

Remember going to a presentation at the Guildall (organised by the Daily Express??) when Lawrie Mac said that Keegans signing was just the start of the 'Grand Plan'

Keegan was a very good player for us

Shame he couldn't have stayed longer

For a Saints fan it was truly a JFK moment, everyone knows where they were when they heard the news and probably all thought it was a wind up at first. I was at Tech college in one of the portacabins they used to have between Chantry Hall and Central Hall. Not much studying was done that afternoon.

10 Feb 1980 it was announced. That's 36 years ago today. He didn't actually join until the summer though, first game against Shamrock on 23 July 1980. Bit odd to be making a lot of this today.

Wrong. The 10th was a Sunday. We beat Brighton 5-1 on Saturday 9th and the surprise press conference at The Potters Heron was on the Monday. I was at work when I heard and others have said they were at school.

I cant have been 40 years ago because that is when we won the cup. My Dad, who NEVER phoned me at work, called me to tell me the news. Still find it hard to believe it actually happened!

Its only the OP that said 40 years, it was clearly 36 years ago. The Club were just recognising it was on this day (yesterday, the 10th) that he signed. "Former Saints manager Lawrie McMenemy speaks to Southampton's official YouTube channel about the day he completed the famous signing of Kevin Keegan from German club Hamburg" Of course what everyone is remembering is when they heard the news (the press conference), which was not the same day as when he signed, which as Lets B pointed out was a Sunday while everyone heard about it on a work/school day.

Shame we didn't keep him longer. Might have won the league.

From what I understand Keegan fell out with Lawrie in his second season, because he felt that Lawrie should have strengthened the team defensively, which Lawrie failed to do (in KK's opinion). Which when you think about his managerial career is a little ironic.

From what I understand Keegan fell out with Lawrie in his second season, because he felt that Lawrie should have strengthened the team defensively, which Lawrie failed to do (in KK's opinion). Which when you think about his managerial career is a little ironic.

Although Saints fell away the season after he left, they did better without Keegan in the team. He left in 1982, Saints came 2nd in 1984 and 5th in 1985. Of course he would have been useful in 83/84, but they didn't do too badly without him.

Before Keegan...

1979/80 - 8th

With Keegan...

1980/81 - 6th

1981/82 - 7th

The three seasons after Keegan left...

1982/83 - 12th

1983/84 - 2nd

1984/85 - 5th

10 Feb 1980 he signed. That's 36 years ago today.

He didn't actually join until the summer though, first game against Shamrock on 23 July 1980. Bit odd to be making a lot of this today.

I think this is a tribute to Lawrie McMenemy (who is 80 this year)..as much as anything, especially as Keegan joining us must rate as the best Saints' signing of all time.

Although I remember him well, it's 40 years since we won the FA Cup and there is a whole generation of fans who never knew anything about him - except his name.

I seem to remember they fell out after a game we lost in which Big Mac said to KK that he had "cheated out there today." We went on to finish runners up after KK left so we didn't do too badly. I also remember KK saying he left so that Big Mac could afford to buy Shilton?

Was being driven to a school match in Netley, by Mr Jolly (real name), when the news came over his car radio. 11 years old at the time.

and well we might have, too. We finished 2nd. (1983-84) after a 10 game unbeaten run (which included an 8-2 win over Coventry and a 5-0 thrashing of Tottenham.

Liverpool (who had won the League title for 8 of the previous 10 seasons) struggled to keep pace and ended up as Champs. and finished just 3 points above us....

There were fans in that era who said - if the season had been two weeks longer we might even have won the title.

Statistical note ; that season we'd drew 1-1 at Anfield, and later won 2-0 at The Dell....

Although Saints fell away the season after he left, they did better without Keegan in the team. He left in 1982, Saints came 2nd in 1984 and 5th in 1985. Of course he would have been useful in 83/84, but they didn't do too badly without him.

Before Keegan...

1979/80 - 8th

With Keegan...

1980/81 - 6th

1981/82 - 7th

The three seasons after Keegan left...

1982/83 - 12th

1983/84 - 2nd

1984/85 - 5th

even if his stay was short , his performances were top rate. He played 80 games for Saints scoring 42 goals....one of the best ever Saints goals / games stats.

Keegan's performances really were top rate. The wonderful effect his arrival had on Saints cannot be underestimated. It was even headlines on the BBC evening news that day! I went to every home game in those days, and the Lawry Mac team was great to watch, even more so in those couple of years after KK had moved on.

It that later came out that KK wanted Lawrie to strngthen the team for the last push for the title. Bear in mind that the transfer deadline was mid/end March in those days before the 'Window'. Story was that LM was trying to seal another coup but all was kept under wraps so KK was not privy to Lawries plans. Saints were trying to put a deal in place to bring Trevor Francis to TheDell from Man City LM & John Bond were quite friendly at the time,and although they had thrashed out a deal in principle, the City chairman, Peter Swales vetoed it in fear of a fans backlash.

Ironically, it was an away game at Swansea, when they had their major bust-up. We lost 1-0 in an evening match and were awful.

I thought it was an easter defeat at home to Villa, losing 3-0. Shortly after LM accused KK of saving himself for the World Cup.

Signing of KK definitely rates as one of the greatest days of being a Saints fan.

I was in the sixth form at the time but decided to have a days 'study leave' at home. All going well until about 2pm when my mother shouted upstairs asking if I'd just heard the nes from the radio in the kitchen. When she told me what had been announced that was it, sod studying any further. Had to come down and listen to Ed Stewart on Radio 2 just to wait for a repeat of the sports news. But it wasn't 'sports news' , it was the main news all day.

Our most prestigious signing ever and what a player....imagine him in this team.... Compare him to a errrrr Pelle - omg Pelle wouldn't have played for anyone in the old first division - not a chance...... Channon and Pelle ? It would be an insult to think about comparing them !!!!!

Which just brings home how carp Pelle is.

Keegan was REAL class and Lawrie was the sole reason we got him.... Two legends along with a few others in that era...

Our most prestigious signing ever and what a player....imagine him in this team.... Compare him to a errrrr Pelle - omg Pelle wouldn't have played for anyone in the old first division - not a chance...... Channon and Pelle ? It would be an insult to think about comparing them !!!!!

Which just brings home how carp Pelle is.

Keegan was REAL class and Lawrie was the sole reason we got him.... Two legends along with a few others in that era...

Don't ever change fcktard.

Quite some years ago, I saw an interview with KK where he was asked about his "sudden " departure from Saints.

"from memory" .. KKs explanation was along the lines of :

"We " (the squad) went on a summer tour to Ireland ?....and had some very poor results against semi-pro sides and were really quite poor.

Lawrie had taken a short holiday away, (somewhere).. and met up with them all (at airport) ....when they got back....

Keegan was rather concerned and gave Lawrie the bad news, (saying) " ..you've got some problems here..."

Lawrie reacted quickly (at the complaint) and responded ......" you're becoming a bit of a problem ..."

equally quick-temperd KK replied...." that alright .... I'll be gone by Thursday "

and of course he did. Arthur Cox who managed a good Derby County side at the time signed him and he continued his success there.

One of those quick-tempered moments that happens in life and certainly must happen in many dressing rooms situations (ala Ferguson), but there it was.

As someone else pointed out, we had our best successes - after KK left, but it would have been nice if he'd stayed...a bit longer..

Like someone said earlier it was a JFK moment for Saints fans, I remember getting home from School walking in the house and the phone starts ringing, pick it up and it's my Liverpool supporting school mate Willy garbling on about Saints signing KK I Thought he was pulling my leg, he just said "if you don't believe me watch Newsround!!".

Quite some years ago, I saw an interview with KK where he was asked about his "sudden " departure from Saints.

and of course he did. Arthur Cox who managed a good Derby County side at the time signed him and he continued his success there.

Spot the deliberate error?

Although Arthur Cox signed him it was of course Newcastle. I was living up there at the time and although disappointed he left us it was quite incredible seeing how Tyneside erupted and went into a frenzy on signing KK.

Thinking about it again, perhaps Athur Cox was the 'Brendan Rogers' of his day with a Saints obsession, as he carried on signing Saints playeers, ****on & Wright a few years later at Derby.

Edited by Badger

I recall that very well. At that time, I worked in a company in Nursling, and my colleague Ray Walker (a keen Saints fan, too) came back from a late lunch and said

"Hey Dave...Saints have signed Keven Keegan" It took a few moments for the meaning to sink in, meanwhile other people around were jeering him and shouting joke.

It certainly wasn't and everyone couldn't wait for the next season to begin......

Spot the deliberate error?

Although Arthur Cox signed him it was of course Newcastle. I was living up there at the time and although disappointed he left us it was quite incredible seeing how Tyneside erupted and went into a frenzy on signing KK.

Oooops!:blush:..Wish it was a deliberate error.

Memory plays tricks, but of course it was Peter Shilton and Mark Wright from that era.. who later went to Derby...when Cox managed them after he left Newcastle.

Edited by david in sweden

"from memory" .. KKs explanation was along the lines of :

"We " (the squad) went on a summer tour to Ireland ?....and had some very poor results against semi-pro sides and were really quite poor.

Lawrie had taken a short holiday away, (somewhere).. and met up with them all (at airport) ....when they got back....

Keegan was rather concerned and gave Lawrie the bad news, (saying) " ..you've got some problems here..."

Lawrie reacted quickly (at the complaint) and responded ......" you're becoming a bit of a problem ..."

equally quick-temperd KK replied...." that alright .... I'll be gone by Thursday "

One of those quick-tempered moments that happens in life and certainly must happen in many dressing rooms situations (ala Ferguson), but there it was.

As someone else pointed out, we had our best successes - after KK left, but it would have been nice if he'd stayed...a bit longer..

I wouldn't necessarily take anything that Keegan says in an interview as gospel, he had a habit of shooting from the hip :-) But that ties in with what I said. The Northern Ireland games were early August 82 (2 matches, both won by the way, Ballymena and Linfield). They played Armenia Bielefeld in Germany about 9 days later (14th August) and won 2-1, including a Keegan brace, so it must have been after that KK departed. I guess that was his last match in a Saints shirt.