• Romeu
    • Clasie
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Long
    • Pellè
    • Soares
    • Austin
    • Yoshida

FF's been great but 3-5-2 has turned our season around.

Can't say I agree. We had some shockers playing that formation earlier in the season, including the 6-1 against Liverpool, and have played four at the back during this run. It's defensive belief and organisation, which starts with Forster.

I think Pelle's injury was a huge factor as well, forcing us to rethink how we could attack.

Can't say I agree. We had some shockers playing that formation earlier in the season, including the 6-1 against Liverpool, and have played four at the back during this run. It's defensive belief and organisation, which starts with Forster.

I think Pelle's injury was a huge factor as well, forcing us to rethink how we could attack.

The coaching team and the players have made it work. I rate Bertrand and his role on the left of the three has been a big positive. Targett has done a job further forward. We've used 4 at the back against Arsenal only, as far as I can recall and a combination of FF and luck kept us in it. That's not to say 4 at the back won't be appropriate against other sides. The uncertainty for the opposition of our being able to play different systems is also a factor as the opposition doesn't know what to expect. My only reservation is that our creative players are increasingly on the bench but as long as we get the results...

Would love to see Austin and Long up top with Mane behind running at John Terry in a fortnight.

Things are looking up, a good win which we made look quite comfortable giving the shocking Homer performance from Moss.

Surprised he didn't give a penalty for the Swan dive into Yoshi at the end.

that one might not be an issue, Terry went off injured (how serious?)..in the Newcastle game.....but the very fact that Koeman does have a plan B .(3..5..2) and we have the personnel to fit both plans without buying in lots of new players. Too many managers have a one track mind when it comes to their fixed playing style.

As for those you mentioned. Charlie Austin will (hopefully) be seen more in home games where we have more attacking options, and he has more chances.

Mane has the undoubted skill, but for ...any striker ....to go so long without scoring has an effect on their confidence (for Pelle also).

I think Tadic has taken the "super-sub " role that Shane Long had, but I'm asking myself if he isn't carrying an injury?...he's not a patch on his form last season.

I agree. Noticeable that we are far more blunt and slow in attack the two games he has been back. Two wins mind but that was to do with absolute solid defending.

Long is just better than Pelle and the Italian has to drop out of the next game. I doubt he will unless injured

Football is a numbers game. Whatever system we are implementing, players are doing their jobs better.

Great example of this was JWP tracking back with Siggurson in the first half. Whilst he didn't get a touch, he got in the way and distracted Siggurson in a very dangerous position. He didn't give him the time to score.

Edited by Andy Durman

Just seen the very brief MOTD highlights and can see why both the incidents I asked about yesterday were a bit contentious.

Think ref got them both right.

Keeper did have the ball and then he effectively barged in to Fonte, but still think he was probably impeded. Put it this way, if the same thing happened with FF then I would have been screaming for a foul.

When I saw the Yoshida tumble first time around have to say I thought it was a penalty. Certainly in real time from the halfway camera angle it looked clumsy and potentially a foul. It was only when they showed it from the view the ref had that you could see the Swansea player ran in to Yoshida and then bounced off him.

Two fair decisions in my opinion.

Just seen the very brief MOTD highlights and can see why both the incidents I asked about yesterday were a bit contentious.

Keeper did have the ball and then he effectively barged in to Fonte, but still think he was probably impeded. Put it this way, if the same thing happened with FF then I would have been screaming for a foul.

When I saw the Yoshida tumble first time around have to say I thought it was a penalty. Certainly in real time from the halfway camera angle it looked clumsy and potentially a foul. It was only when they showed it from the view the ref had that you could see the Swansea player ran in to Yoshida and then bounced off him.

How's flapihandski impeded if he's the one you say barged into Jose Fonte

FF's been great but 3-5-2 has turned our season around.

Absolutely this. Like many other Brits I was sceptical of this formation as usually it's resorted to through desperation as the players are poor. And because they are poor they do a bad job in it. That certainly isn't the case here. So much so I'm desperately trying to think of how,England could use it.

The Forster wall stuff is fun, but putting in several of the games Forster hasn't had a manning full save to make.

It is clearly 5 at the back not 3 which Koeman even said in his interview yesterday.

You are right. Three centre backs and two fullbacks, which you might call wingbacks, but by and large they are more defensive than offensive. Lots of defensively minded midfielders in this game too. We really are going for a pack the defence, fill every available space and suffocate opponents type system. Boy is it working.

Just beaten to it, but I'd say the keeper was the one who collided with Fonte, not the other way round.

Also just before the pen incident the ref should have awarded us a free kick as Gomis fouled Fonte in the build up.

Fortunately our disallowed goal didn't affect the overall result.

#WeMarchOn

I reckon he might with it being Chelsea, and 2 of Terry/Ivanovic/Cahill being CBs.

Pace may be the key.

Pelle had a good game at Stamford Bridge, but Mane always ups his game against them so needs to start. With the new system that will probably mean him and Long up top together.

We only played 4 at the back against Arsenal and that was our worst game in this run. I think it's down to both. Players getting used to the formation AND Forster coming back. You can hear him yelling at the defence the whole game. He keeps them very organised.

Good trip to Swansea and result.

Saints seemed in control for most of the match but as so often it petered out as they got near to goal, especially in the first half.

VVD looked a class above at the back. Oriel cetiainly has a presence in midfield, but again got a booking which was possibly the reasoning for him coming off. Despite the praise for Long on here I still find him a frustrating player to watch, yes, can't doubt his workrate but in front of goal he's distinctly average. His first half chance might as well have been a cushioned pass back than a serious attempt on goal, and his headed goal was less than emphatic.

Couple of observations from yesterday:

Swansea are a friendly club, hope they stay up.

The Liberty Stadium - my first visit there, thought it was a bit bigger than it was. It reminded me a little of a plan I saw for our proposed move to Stoneham in the early 1990's, and thinking how things might have been had we gone there have to say pleased we didn't end up there and have St Mary's instead.

I'd probably say there was a coming together as Fonte was coming the other way, in which case with the keeper in possession of the ball I can see why the ref blew up.

He never had possession of the ball. He decided to come off his line and Fonte was only ever going for the ball. Poor decision by the keeper ultimately so he shouldn't get that much protection.

Many many thanks for this, much appreciated.

For the disallowed effort, doesn't Pellè foul their number 24?

And as for the penalty claim it's as much a case of Yoshida being fouled as the other way round.

This time last year we were 5th with 46 points. Now 6th with 40 points, but with a growing confidence and a higher quality squad. Europe is there for the taking.

This time last year we were getting into some really ropey form. This year we seem to have had the ropey form and put it behind us. Another smashing result. Well done lads.

Last season we had two spells of rubbish results, I'm not entirely convinced that won't happen again around the time the players who want to leave stop trying and unsettle the rest of the squad (again), but we may as well enjoy being good while it lasts.

Last season we had two spells of rubbish results, I'm not entirely convinced that won't happen again around the time the players who want to leave stop trying and unsettle the rest of the squad (again), but we may as well enjoy being good while it lasts.

That's a fair point. But if neither Mane or Big Vic are playing, they can't play badly :)

The Happy Clappys are gloating but whilst we were largely in control we were playing a pretty poor Swansea side and without Long we probably wouldn't have scored.

Pelle is obviously damaging our fluidity and he keeps the pressure on our defence by being marked all the time and not showing for a penetrative pass. He often loses possession when the ball does come to him because he with miss controls or fancy 'flicks' it to a opposing defender.

We will make it easy for Chelsea if he plays.

So yes it's a good run but our overall play is not all that going forward.

RK also seems to randomly change the team around which is also not doing us any favours. We have some decent players don't forget and our defenders are errrrr not being changed in terms of personnel which kind of proves a point about a settled team being preferable.... Also look at Leicester for an example of This...

The Happy Clappys are gloating but whilst we were largely in control we were playing a pretty poor Swansea side and without Long we probably wouldn't have scored.

Pelle is obviously damaging our fluidity and he keeps the pressure on our defence by being marked all the time and not showing for a penetrative pass. He often loses possession when the ball does come to him because he with miss controls or fancy 'flicks' it to a opposing defender.

RK also seems to randomly change the team around which is also not doing us any favours. We have some decent players don't forget and our defenders are errrrr not being changed in terms of personnel which kind of proves a point about a settled team being preferable.... Also look at Leicester for an example of This...

Without Long we might have had Mane or Austin up front, maybe one of them would have scored instead?

We've sacrificed some forward play to make us more solid but it's working so it doesn't matter.

Did Pelle playing against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge make it easy for them?

Not doing any favours ......6 clean sheets !!!

Form team up to 6th

Captain of the Titanic????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How good would our form be if Koeman did "do us any favours"?

If being a Happy Clappy means I don't write ****e like that I'm one!

We are far from perfect and Pelle is stifling us but some seem to revel in us failing .....weird!

We are currently the form team in the league, 1 point behind 5th haven't even conceded a goal for over 9 hours let alone lose a game ! Seems pretty perfect to me at ?

LOLz, "but without any players we'd have lost". Our overall play is, as was successful last season, to defend first and try and create with our few attacking players. We've tried other things and this is what works for us.

Also Koeman "randomly changing things around" would be him maximising our potential against the specific opponents we face, who all have different strengths and weaknesses.

Charlie Austin is superb the way he made runs off Long in the short time he was on, anticipating the breaking ball. There is a real pair in the making there. I have little time for Pelle because he wants to be spoon fed and is utterly selfish especially with his constant moaning. He doesn't play in the channels like Long, Austin and Mane and his central positioning and lack of runs reduces our cutting edge. We should use him as required and get the best price in the close season and replace him with pacy alternative. I watched Juanmi in the under 21s the other night and he looked no better than his rare displays in the first team.

Troll. You did get one or two bites so 4/10 for effort.

Charlie Austin is superb the way he made runs off Long in the short time he was on, anticipating the breaking ball. There is a real pair in the making there. I have little time for Pelle because he wants to be spoon fed and is utterly selfish especially with his constant moaning. He doesn't play in the channels like Long, Austin and Mane and his central positioning and lack of runs reduces our cutting edge. We should use him as required and get the best price in the close season and replace him with pacy alternative. I watched Juanmi in the under 21s the other night and he looked no better than his rare displays in the first team.

Agree 100%.

Have I missed something, why is Charlie not starting considering he was our answer to a lack of goals?.

... and without Long we probably wouldn't have scored.

Without the ref's poor decision making Pelle would have scored.

If you had read my post you will have seen I specifically mentioned the defence as a separate item giving evidence of my point.

5 wins in 6 unbeaten, so we must be doing something right at the other end as well.

( Sorry Trousers, that probably lifts the bite rating up to 6.6 ).

Edited by badgerx16

There's a good photo on the "official SFC site" under "We can still climb higher" showing Jack Cork walking off the ground and Ron looking in his direction as if to offer a handshake and a few words. I wonder if it happened. I noticed in the coverage in the tunnel pre-game, Davo and Fonte both greeting JC warmly.

If being a Happy Clappy means I don't write ****e like that I'm one!

We are far from perfect and Pelle is stifling us but some seem to revel in us failing .....weird!

Just what I was thinking. Top of the current form table and still not satisfied