Chelsea Build-Up Thread

St Chalet

Interesting game to read. Chelsea's best opportunities for silverware this year fall either side of our fixture.

Koeman has had a decent record against them with 2 draws and a win. Going for another 1-1.

Might be tempted to start Mane as a second striker for this one.

My team

FF

VvD

Fonte

Bertrand

Cedric

Targett

Rom

Clasie

Davis

Long

Austin

Stek, Yoshida, JWP, Tadic, Mane, Pelle, Juanmi

Same team other than mane for long. Last game vs Chelsea mane killed them and they will be scared of him.

My team

FF

VvD

Fonte

Bertrand

Cedric

Targett

Rom

Clasie

Davis

Long

Austin

Same team other than mane for long. Last game vs Chelsea mane killed them and they will be scared of him.

I'd be tempted to revert to a traditional back 4 for this one in order to free up a place further up the field to enable us to accommodate Long, Austin and Mane is the same starting line up. So, something like this:

Forster

Cedric

VvD

Fonte

Bertrand

Clasie

Davis

Romeu

Mane

Long

Austin

Subs: Stek, Targett, Yoshida, JWP, Tadic, Juanmi, Pelle

We can always revert to 5 at the back after we go in 2-0 up at half time :)

I do think that with our strong defence batting out Chelsea' powerful, in-form strikers, speed in counter-attack is going to be an important asset against a suspect visitor's defence. So top-scorer Long and Mane can turn the game to our advantage. And Mane is due a goal or two.

Anyone know what our players will be doing over the next 2 weeks? Training as per usual or will they get time off? I see that Leicester players have been given a full week off.

Half expected the club to have arranged a few days away at a team building event in foreign climes, like we've done before when not involved in the FA cup at this stage of the season.

Mane for Long!!!!!!!!! Lol what evidence do you bring to the table to back up that illogical opinion?

Last Match vs Chelsea mane was superb and I think he's a better player. Long has improved a lot but still missed a sitter yesterday.

My team

FF

VvD

Fonte

Bertrand

Cedric

Targett

Rom

Clasie

Davis

Long

Austin

I agree with this too. I wouldn't mess with the 3 in the back because of our recent success.

Want to see Austin in for Pelle, I really want to see Long and Austin together. In their short times together we have generated a number of chances. Its time for CA.

why would we go 3 at the back (5 defenders) when they have 1 striker, costa..?

this game will be won and lost in the midfield.

I'd go with either:

1) a standard back 4 (VVD/Fonte/Bertrand/Cedric), tight midfield 3 of romeu/clasie/davis , and then a front 3 of mane right to keep azpiliqueta pinned back, tadic on the left to terrorise ivanovich like last time, and austin in the middle.

or 2) same back 4, same midfield, but with pelle as a target man to lay off the ball to long/mane. tadic on the bench.

why would we go 3 at the back (5 defenders) when they have 1 striker, costa..?

this game will be won and lost in the midfield.

I'd go with either:

1) a standard back 4 (VVD/Fonte/Bertrand/Cedric), tight midfield 3 of romeu/clasie/davis , and then a front 3 of mane right to keep azpiliqueta pinned back, tadic on the left to terrorise ivanovich like last time, and austin in the middle.

or 2) same back 4, same midfield, but with pelle as a target man to lay off the ball to long/mane. tadic on the bench.

I think you miss the point that a 5-3-2 can very easily become a 3-5-2 with Cedric and Targett playing in advanced positions giving us a strong presence across the midfield.

I trust Clasie and Romeu to battle well for us in the middle of the park, Romeu looks like a great buy to me and he'll be keen to show Chelsea what they could have had, I do worry if he picks up an early booking though.

Difficult game, I'd be happy with a draw - hope Chelsea go all in for the FA Cup and Champions League and take their eye off our game.

Win please with a John Terry own goal for good measure

Frankly if we could I'd put Long, Mane and Austin up front because all three of them can cause havoc for a slow defence

Really could have done with Vic in midfield for this one tbh - purely for his ability to boss players about. However I'm expecting Romeu to fill that role with Clasie keeping the pressure on.

Draw would be OK, but three points brilliant

I think you miss the point that a 5-3-2 can very easily become a 3-5-2 with Cedric and Targett playing in advanced positions giving us a strong presence across the midfield.

I trust Clasie and Romeu to battle well for us in the middle of the park, Romeu looks like a great buy to me and he'll be keen to show Chelsea what they could have had, I do worry if he picks up an early booking though.

Difficult game, I'd be happy with a draw - hope Chelsea go all in for the FA Cup and Champions League and take their eye off our game.

sorry - yes totally I agree. that's why ron has gone with a back 3/5, because it allows him to include targett and cedric as defensive minded midfielders. they aren't sufficient to play in a back 4 (maybe cedric, depending on opponent), but with this system he gets their defensive cover and has 3 solid defenders back all the time.

my point wasn't about midfield cover, but about marking. you just do not need 3 'CBs' playing against 1 striker. Koeman himself says he likes a back 3 against 2 centre forwards, because it allows 2 to mark and one to receive the ball/be in open space. when you only have costa, I'd rather have people in the centre of the park than hanging out at the back. the key people we need to track are people like fabregas, I'd rather have back 4 and the 5th person in midfield such as davis/clasie to stick to fabregas, or any other stand out player

Mane for Long!!!!!!!!! Lol what evidence do you bring to the table to back up that illogical opinion?

Sadio Mane's pace, dribbling and movement has given the Chelsea defence nightmares on more than one occasion. John Terry put him in his team of the year last season after the difficulty he had dealing with him.

I'd go with Mane and Long for this game, with Pelle and Austin on the bench if needed... nice to have such good options for Koeman to mull over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqSpp_3ZQ8Y

they have 2 tough games while we rest and then a tough game after. Guess there is two trains of thought on this.

01) We will be fit and rested; they will be exhausted (physically and mentally).

02) They will be well-honed, playing against competition that by most standards is better than us; We will be rusty.

Yes they are unbeaten in however many matches, but we're unbeaten in 6, with 5 wins and no goals conceded - including wins against WHU and Man Utd, and a draw at Arsenal. We have beaten them this season, we can beat them again, and I'm sure that's what RK will drill into the squad.

I'd want to start Austin this time, but I really don't think you can drop Long at the moment. Mane scared the crap out of them last time, but he's out of form. Could be the kick starter he needs? At the same time, I really rate Davis' contribution to the team, and JWP's assist stats only continue to increase. It's great that we're struggling to pick a side because so many players are in form!

I'd give Mane the benefit of the doubt as he and Long can work well together, and they both have pace against a generally slow Chelsea defence:

Forster

Targett, Bertrand, Fonte, VVD, Cedric

Romeu, Clasie, Davis

Mane, Long

Subs: Stek, Yoshida, JWP, Pelle, Juanmi, Tadic, Austin

Assess later how game's going, and look to bring JWP/Tadic and Austin on later in the 2nd half if/where needed. Just keen to get Austin up and running ASAP as I'm worried we're going to drop off in the next few games, so I'd be keen to get him some game-time.

Will Terry be fit? If not their defence isn't as slow. I was impressed with Baba the other night at PSG and Azpilicueta looked far more comfortable at right back. With Ivanovic moved inside they looked more balanced. That's annoying, as no matter how much confidence they have regained going forward their back four always looked they could concede.

For me the big question is whether Mane gets selected. Nothing he has tried has come off in weeks, leading to him giving away possession time after time. No matter what threat he offers you have to retain the ball otherwise you put your defence under pressure. I thought him being dropped was the right decision, but now how to get him back to his best?